PDA

View Full Version : Did Detail "TEST" on E36 Before ZHP

echo46
04-23-2012, 10:29 AM
I finally got around to purchasing the Meguiars 105/205 polishes and Dodo Juice Purple Haze. I decided to detail my e36 as a test case just to get some practice with these new products. It was my understanding that the 105 would provide significant cutting to reallly attack the swirls and minor scratches.

My e36 is pretty clean but has some accumulated minor scratches, hazyness and swirls. I clayed it last fall so it did not need a claying. I used my Porter Cable 7424 Orbital buffer with orange pads. The 105 polish made very easy work of the haze and swirls but I had mixed results with the scratchs. It took care of the very light shallow scratches but was not as effective against the medium type scratches. I'm thinking maybe I should have used a more aggressive cutting pad? Overall, I was very happy with the 105 polish.

I then moved onto the 205 polish. What a joy to work with. Buffed on and off nice and easy with incredible results. The paint took on an almost wet depth that really popped.

As much as I liked the 105/205 polishes, I liked the Dodo Juice even more. It spread like butter and set up in about ten minutes and buffed off beautifully. The paint looks absosuley incredible. I highly recommend the Maguiars 105/205 combo followed by the Dodo Juice wax.

Do the experts out there think I would have fared better with a more aggressive cutting pad than the orange pad? I know the BMW clear coat is fairly hard. Or is the issue in the fact that the Porter Cable buffer will not generate enough heat?

carsontl
04-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I recently used menzerna's heaviest cut with a yellow pad and it is very effective at correcting. Just gotta back it down once you do that... so heavy cut, then a pass with medium, then a pass with light and then a pass with fine if you wanna be that OCD about it.

One thing I haven't tried is a hard wax like Dane recommends. I haven't coughed up the dollar dollar bills yet. I use black diamond glaze, then black diamond sealant and then come back after it cures with an optimum liquid wax that is a pita to remove once it's on the car...

Ultimately I will end up trying out that hard/soft wax Dane uses because his car always looks like the car just took a shower with angel tears

echo46
04-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Is the yellow pad a better cutting pad than the orange? I think the Maguiars M105 is a pretty heavy cutting polish and good product. I may try a more aggressive pad. I think I used the Dodo Juice Purple haze soft wax. After I am done with this wax, I am also going to go to the hard wax.

carsontl
04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
yeah the orange pad is what most people should use, yellow is the second heaviest cut pad and only should be considered for heavily damaged clear coats (mine was acid rain-destroyed) and the final one is purple and is made of shaggy wool... be very careful with the purple one (i'm not even gonna buy one) because it chews through clear coat fast.

echo46
04-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Ah, good to know. Do you think I should try the yellow pad, at least on the medium scratches or just stay with the orange Pad?

carsontl
04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
i think the general rule of thumb is if you slide (not hard) your nail perpendicular to the scratch and your nail 'catches' inside the scratch then it's too deep to correct with pads. If your nail doesn't 'catch' you can usually correct it but it will require time and patience and more passes on the spot. What type of buffer are you using? random orbital? i use a porter cable 7424xp

echo46
04-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Yep, I am using the Porter Cable 7424xp. I've done about five or six details so I am still learning.

carsontl
04-23-2012, 11:33 AM
cool well it's very hard to kill your car's clear coat with a 7424, if it passes the nail test you can do a bunch of passes with orange to achieve the goal or a few passes with yellow pads and then step it back

echo46
04-23-2012, 11:58 AM
I think I will give the yellow pad a shot. I've read a lot about the fact that the Porter Cable, due to it being a rotary buffer, does not have the ability to heat the paint enough to cause any damage even if it is stalled on the paint.

carsontl
04-23-2012, 12:01 PM
I think I will give the yellow pad a shot. I've read a lot about the fact that the Porter Cable, due to it being a rotary buffer, does not have the ability to heat the paint enough to cause any damage even if it is stalled on the paint.
yeah you can just hold it on one spot but if you kept applying new polish to the area and kept going... you'd get to paint eventually lol