PDA

View Full Version : 1988 E28 M5 - 159,000 miles - $17k OBO

Hermes
05-05-2012, 09:05 AM
This was posted by another local CCA member (car is in Poway CA / SD County), thought maybe somebody on here might want it. Here is Alex's post:

http://jackrabbit.com/temp/m5/m5-1.JPG

http://jackrabbit.com/temp/m5/m5-2.JPG

http://jackrabbit.com/temp/m5/m5-3.JPG

http://jackrabbit.com/temp/m5/m5-4.JPG

This rare hand-built vehicle is owned and loved by a long-time BMWCCA member. I’m the 3rd owner, and I have service records going back to the original purchase. I bought the car in 1997 after the second owner missed a shift and blew up the engine at 120K. Brecht BMW (now BMW of Escondido) meticulously rebuilt it, and it now has just under 40K on it. This car has always lived in San Diego, so there is not a hint of rust. All major services and upgrades have been performed by Brecht BMW and by a number of highly-regarded BMW specialty shops, including Frank Fahey Motorsports, La Jolla Independent, Alan Johnson-USA, and All German Auto. All of the major systems are new and relatively new and make this M5 very tight, fast, safe, and reliable. Often called “a wolf in sheep’s clothing”, I just think it’s a blast to drive.

Here are the major changes and additions:

Mobil 1 always since the engine rebuild
K&N air filter
Stock self-leveling rear suspension removed and replaced with a Bilstein Sport Kit (Sport shocks and springs)—installation by Frank Fahey Motorsports
Engine Chip and Exhaust Cam Sprocket Package by Dinan
Window tint with lifetime warranty by SunPro—installed by Solar-Care
RF-502 security system by AutoPage, with LogicSensor tilt sensor by Ungo
Front side directional signals added to front side running light pods
Headlights converted to high-wattage halogen by Hella
Short Shift Kit by Metric Mechanic
Three amplifiers and 2 subwoofers by Kicker.
A fairly modern head unit with CD player by Pioneer Premier
Shock Tower Brace by BMP Design
16’’ chrome wheels by Azev

Here is a list of relatively recent work:

Toyo Proxes 4 225/50R-16 tires (with tire protection plan) installed at 152859.
Clutch and shift linkage replaced at 153434.
Battery replaced at 153521.
Rear subframe bushings replaced at 156148.
Entire brake system replaced—completed at 158194.

Here are a few notes relevant to the car being 25-years old:

The body and original black paint are in amazing condition.
All of the electricals work, with two exceptions that are noted below.
The leather, which is everywhere inside, still greets you with what I think is a wonderful musky odor as you enter the cabin. There are lots of character wrinkles, but there are no tears or rips on any leather surface. Periodic TLC is important and well-worth the effort.
The Recaro driver’s seat, which obviously has the most wear, needs some new cushion stuffing so that the lower seat-control panel can be re-attached. Other than that, it’s fine, and the power controls and seat heater work great.
The Recaro front passenger seat’s electric adjustments work great, except that they occasionally just stop working entirely—then they suddenly work again after a few minutes. It’s not the switches, so we suspect a dirty contact somewhere. Since it’s intermittent, I haven’t pursued fixing it. The seat heater works fine.
The rear window defroster does not work at all, and it hasn’t in many years. Apparently, an audio installer broke the contacts—I’ve never fixed it because it’s rarely needed.
The A/C works and does not leak.

That’s pretty much it, other than the registration was re-upped this past March and the tool set in the trunk is complete.

We invite you to view it and drive it and have it checked out. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions. This is a true collector’s car that can be enjoyed both as a reliable daily driver and as a unique, spirited track-day car.

$17,000 or best offer. Contact alesberg@gmail.com.

Thank you for looking!

NorCalZman
05-05-2012, 09:19 AM
I rode in one of these a few months ago. I had my E34 5 series at the time. I was amazed at the difference between the two cars. BMW really improved the 5 series between these two generations. In my humble opinion. :)

danewilson77
05-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Not interested....but wish there were more pics of the interior. Nice car.

ryankokesh
05-05-2012, 05:14 PM
+1