PDA

View Full Version : Review: Performance Friction "New Z-Rated" Carbon Metallic Brake Pads

HokieZHP
05-05-2012, 10:22 PM
If some parts of this don't flow well, forgive me, I've been studying for around 36 of the past 48 hours...

So I bought these pads from Bimmerworld about a month or so ago and have been driving on them for a little over 1k miles. Unfortunately, I do not know what kind of pads I had before (I'll check them tomorrow).

FWIW, I installed these along with Bimmerworld SS lines. I replaced the fronts and rears and am running them on BMW Performance brakes.

From my experience, they have less initial bite then my previous pads. They also seem to engage ABS a lot more often than my previous pads. (not sure what that means...) The car does brake hard though!

I have not gotten any fade from these pads yet though. I have gone on 30-45+ min drives in a very spirited manner on curvy roads with constant hard braking and such and haven't had any fade yet which I am impressed with. My previous pads would just begin to fade at the end of these same drives.

The only downside that I can say is that these pads dust A LOT! Much more than my old ones ever did! 3-4 or so days after cleaning my wheels, under daily driving habits, the dust is clearly visible on the wheels. Sooner if I go for spirited drives.

Overall, I like the pads, they perform well but are expensive.

Fronts-$100
Rears-$110

http://store.bimmerworld.com/performance-friction-new-z-rated-carbon-metallic-brake-pads-p721.aspx

brettbimmer
05-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the review Chris! Sounds like these Z-rated pads are a harder compound then your other pads in that they are lacking initial bite when cold (because they probably like having a little heat in them). Given that reason, they would tend to cause ABS to kick in earlier due to the aggressive bite once they have a bit of heat in them. Likewise, as they warm up, they won't fade like a more street biased softer pad which can't handle the heat. Dusting...yep, sounds about right for a pad which is more aggressive then a street pad, but not a full-on race pad. I have a set of these for the rear due to arrive tomorrow, but your review is what I expected of them. Nonetheless, thanks for posting!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

HokieZHP
05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. They do seem to work better once warmed up!

brettbimmer
05-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info, that makes sense. They do seem to work better once warmed up!

All the better excuse for some time on the track in the near future!

HokieZHP
05-06-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm trying to find a place/time to do it! I want to so bad. I've never tracked this car before and I'd like to see what it can do

brettbimmer
05-06-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm trying to find a place/time to do it! I want to so bad. I've never tracked this car before and I'd like to see what it can do

Well, it will put a smile on your face for starters! Hmmm...closest track to you is VIR near Danville, VA I believe, though it is a long, fast track. Nonetheless, probably my favorite track, and quite a bit of runoff room if needed.

HokieZHP
05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Yeah I go to VIR a couple times a year. I've driven it in my dad's old 2003 mini cooper S works kit but our cars are a little different than it is haha

I'm just not sure how to get into it. But maybe I'll start another thread on that to keep this somewhat on topic

HokieZHP
05-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Little update, after SigFest and driving about 1000 miles over the past 3-4 days, I can say that these pads actually don't dust as much as I thought. I think I just did more aggressive driving after getting them than I thought lol. They really don't dust that badly at all though, unless you're really driving aggressively.