PDA

View Full Version : Car Covers

toddness
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
I'd love to get feedback on the different car cover's you may use. I need one that will be used primarily just to cover the car indoors, though I will use it to cover the car when out and about.

Northern California weather is pretty moderate, my concerns are keeping the car cool and unexposed while being in the sun, as well the ability to hold up under some of our heavy rains as necessary.

Which cover do you use and what are your likes/dislikes?

Thank you,

danewilson77
05-08-2012, 01:21 PM
Noah?

Sent from SIGFest 2012

toddness
05-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes,

Noah, Evolution 4, BMW brand, I need one of them and would love to hear have to say about what they have bought.

I have a Noah for my '71 2002 for years and like it. I can't say I love it.

toddness
05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
Turns out there is a similar thread in the detailing forum - though no feedback on the covers used.

The info in the detailing thread about calduster and about not using covers because of damage by elements created by using the cover is good advice I can support.

I still need a cover though. It's 90 degrees today and my car will otherwise roast parked where I am, and other choices for parking don't exist. I am more worried about it roasting in the sun than the effects of pollen, rain and wind may have under my cover.

I hate the idea of buying the Noah just because it appears to be the best based on it's price. I guess I am hoping to hear something otherwise.

I can add the experience with my Noah for my '02 is don't let it get dirty. When I have left it out and in the rain/wind for short periods, I generally run it through the washing machine a couple times with little to no soap and hang dry before putting it back on the car to prevent dirt transfer.

toddness
05-08-2012, 02:20 PM
OK - probably talking to myself now. But mine is at least the third thread on car covers posted here. In addition to mine here, there is one in Detailing and another in general ZHP questions.

After enough contemplation, I am just going to go with the Noah. Deep inside I was wishing someone had a dirt/wind/water/element repellent version that put itself on and off in addition to maintaining itself. ;)

danewilson77
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
OK - probably talking to myself now. But mine is at least the third thread on car covers posted here. In addition to mine here, there is one in Detailing and another in general ZHP questions.

After enough contemplation, I am just going to go with the Noah. Deep inside I was wishing someone had a dirt/wind/water/element repellent version that put itself on and off in addition to maintaining itself. ;)

Lmao.

Sent from SIGFest 2012

webster
05-08-2012, 02:26 PM
i have a Noah for sale, please take it off my hands!

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6172-For-Sale-Noah-Car-Cover

danewilson77
05-08-2012, 02:28 PM
i have a Noah for sale, please take it off my hands!

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6172-For-Sale-Noah-Car-Cover

Nice!

Sent from SIGFest 2012

iZHP
05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I use a BMW car cover. It's great in all-weather. I mostly got it for when the car isn't drivable during winter storms.

I just let it dry out first in the sun, before packing it back up. We don't want mold/mildew.

toddness
05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
Webster - let's talk.

Contact info is in a private message.

Jon D
05-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately I keep my ZHP outside in SFL cause no garage. I originally had a Noah cover which degraded due to UV after about 18 months. I now have a "Stormproof" cover from car cover planet and after about 9 months am very happy. It does a much better job of keeping the car clean and protected from the sun. After a rain I have none of the dirt/residue I used to get.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

toddness
05-08-2012, 03:49 PM
OK - Thank you Jon D

Webster - hold the phone.

I would love to hear more from others. If I choose a Noah, Webster, you'll be the first to know.

toddness
05-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Webster - ring me. I'll start with your Noah if it isn't trashed.

bimmeryota
05-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I have a Bavauto ultimate car cover. It's super lightweight and easy to put on and take off. It fits great and getting all the extra straps and lock make it blow off proof. The material is very thin but reflects the sun pretty well being silver I've left my car covered for up to 3 weeks under it and it looked new underneath even after a rain storm during that time. I wonder how good it is to the paint though since my mirrors seem a little more hazed after using it alot but for the money and convenience of it fitting both the bimmers it's a great choice.

rikdee
05-10-2012, 08:35 AM
If you're driving the car, a cover is more about how clean or dirty the car is before the cover is deployed. I have used covers (sun protection) for years in SWFL for both dd's and cars that didn't see much weather. It is always the inside of the cover that concerns me. It is the lower corners of the car that get the dirtiest and thus the lower inside edges of the cover get quite soiled as well. Mine are used for primarily for sun protection but dealing with the cleanliness of the car or lack of it presents another issue for the "cover solution" when used on a daily basis. I always cringe at the thought of placing a cover on a dirty car; a car that might have been clean when I left the house. Yet, if my car is to sustain long periods in the sun, a cover is going to be on it as it is the only real alternative to long term UV degradation, the brand of cover notwithstanding.

toddness
05-10-2012, 08:56 AM
If you're driving the car, a cover is more about how clean or dirty the car is before the cover is deployed. I have used covers (sun protection) for years in SWFL for both dd's and cars that didn't see much weather. It is always the inside of the cover that concerns me. It is the lower corners of the car that get the dirtiest and thus the lower inside edges of the cover get quite soiled as well. Mine are used for primarily for sun protection but dealing with the cleanliness of the car or lack of it presents another issue for the "cover solution" when used on a daily basis. I always cringe at the thought of placing a cover on a dirty car; a car that might have been clean when I left the house. Yet, if my car is to sustain long periods in the sun, a cover is going to be on it as it is the only real alternative to long term UV degradation, the brand of cover notwithstanding.

Thanks Everyone for the feedback - rikdee's quote here some's it up quite right. As I mentioned, I have a Noah for my 2002. I suffer all anxieties mentioned about dirt, mildew, etc with it, thus the reason for me asking.

What is interesting is I spoke with a well-known pro detailer here in SF,CA who said something along the lines of,

"It's not the sun that hurts the paint as much as it is the morning dew which attracts dirt and sits. "

While I do use the cover to keep the car clean, it is mostly to keep the interior cool in the summer when parked outside during the day.

FYI - I bought Webster's Noah, or was it Noah's Webster? j/k

Thanks, Wes!