PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen Advice Needed

az3579
05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
I have been tracking at Lime Rock for about 4 years now. Almost 2 years of that has been in my ZHP, so I know how much I can expect out of my tires and brake pads.

Currently if I was to run Lime Rock all year, averaging about 3 events a year, then I can expect my tires to wear out after 30k miles, which includes 3 track events and regular daily driving (all season tires). A set of pads will last me 2-3 track events, depending on how much meat is left at the end of the 2nd track day.

June will bring my first Watkins Glen event. It's also a double-whammy at that; back-to-back driver's schools.

Currently I have about 20k miles and one track event at Lime Rock on my existing tires, Conti DWS'. About half the tread is still there. My current pads (OEM Jurid pads for the 135i caliper) have been used since last winter, with only one track day on them.

I'm wondering if what I've got will last me through the next track event at Watkins Glen. I don't want to show up there and run out of brake pad and/or tire after only the first day and have to skip the second. I know the safe way out is to buy a new set of tires and pads, which I'm prepared to do. The problem is that tires are ridiculously expensive, so I'd very much rather not have to afford those at this point in the year. I am much more willing to buy some pads, though I'm trying to avoid having to buy rears since that just drives the cost up even more.

I've got those two track days for the Glen in June, and then another Lime Rock event at the end of June. I'm preparing to have new pads by then, but tires might be a stretch.

Can anyone who's been to the Glen attest to how long their tires and pads last there? This would help considerably with my planning for June.

Thanks,
Botond

GMATT
05-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Botond . You don't want to hear this, but go prepared. That being said, I pushed my ZHP pretty hard last weekend @ the Glen, and saw little tire wear. Inflation is very important, I started out with 34 cold and ended up with 41 hot at the end of each session.(running new Kumo Ecsta"s 235 40 18 squared with 180 tread wear rating, so pretty sticky:)) Used up probably 40% of my fairly new pads (3k)miles. I would say if you can swing it at least bring a set of new pads, and change them out at the track if needed.
On the up side, I used no oil and had no time where I was concerned about the cars ability (or mine) on the track.
Hope you get a great instructor. If you have any needs or problems, call me as I am 1.5 hours from WGI. My info is in the members contact area.

Gary

az3579
05-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Thanks Gary! I'm OK with buying a new set of pads, though they would most definitely get installed before my trip up to the Glen so I could break them in and drive on them a little bit before I put them to the test. Pretty much the goal is, no wheels off at the paddock! Of course, I will bring my OEM pads with me just in case I completely toast the new ones, but we'll see. I am glad that I could breathe easy on the tires; I have to make them last at least through the three track events in June if I can...

A saving grace for me is that I am not at all familiar with the Glen, so I won't be pushing it as much as I push it at Lime Rock. That might work in my favor in terms of tires and pads. :)

Thanks for the insight, Gary.