PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me my dealer is wrong...OEM electronic stuff

NorCalZman
05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
So I really want to stay OEM if possible. I wanted both the ipod integration kit AND a AUX hook up behind my nav screen. My dealer called and said that that wont work because the ipod integration kit takes up the pins that the AUX and CD changer would use, and with it the AUX mode disapears too.

My heart sank. I wanted my old ipod to stay in my glove box and use that mostly, but sometimes plug in my iphone via the AUX plug and stream net music.

Does anyone have both or expereince with this?

elric
05-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Only time I have seen/heard of both being available, was with the use of the DICE Mediabridge. But its not OEM.

NorCalZman
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
thats a bummer. I hear DICE has a lot of issues...

328ioc
05-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Check out the denison gateway. BP has it and I plan on buying it this summer. I believe it allows you to have both options at once and with the iPod you can control it from you stock head unit. Again not OEM though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NorCalZman
05-15-2012, 01:11 PM
this model seems to have all the features I am looking for: http://www.dension.com/product/gateway-five Ill have to look into this....

az3579
05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I have the Dension Gateway 300. It is, in my mind, the absolute best and most comprehensive iPod/media player integration kit available anywhere, discounting Bluetooth. They have models available with Bluetooth as well.

Mine has USB, Aux, and iPod connections (charges as well without any special adapters).

Fully integrated, steering wheel controls are fully functional.

You'll have to check Dension's site to see if they offer one for cars with nav, though.

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

NorCalZman
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Where did you get the unit? It seems like they do not have a large presence in the US.

I was looking over their site and the 500 seems to be compatible with the nab system and it has Bluetooth and Bluetooth streaming!

NorCalZman
05-15-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.dension.com/sites/default/files/gatewayfiveusermanual.pdf

az3579
05-15-2012, 05:01 PM
Excellent.

I ordered mine on eBay. They are pretty hard to find in the US, but there is a shop that I know sells the unit I have. The shop is called EnfigCarStereo located in New Jersey. This is the website (http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html). I had the owner install it for me at the shop.

I don't think they have the Gateway Five that is compatible with a BMW, but it would most definitely be worth calling them and asking if they can order one for you, since they carry numerous Dension products.

Or, you can go onto ebay.co.uk or a similar European eBay site and purchase from there. The model you should look for is GWF1BM4.

Taliben
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Check out Grom Audio. I have a usb unit in my zhp that runs usb, aux, and ipod and it works great

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

NorCalZman
05-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Ill check them out, but I'm also looking for a factory integrated Bluetooth hookup. The Dension unit even uses the factory menus on the screen (DICE doesn't). Does the Grom?

NorCalZman
05-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Excellent.

I ordered mine on eBay. They are pretty hard to find in the US, but there is a shop that I know sells the unit I have. The shop is called EnfigCarStereo located in New Jersey. This is the website (http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html). I had the owner install it for me at the shop.

I don't think they have the Gateway Five that is compatible with a BMW, but it would most definitely be worth calling them and asking if they can order one for you, since they carry numerous Dension products.

Or, you can go onto ebay.co.uk or a similar European eBay site and purchase from there. The model you should look for is GWF1BM4.

Any chance I can ask what is the price range you paid for it, for reference?

Also, it looks like all the input connections like AUX in, iPod, etc are on one little piece. Where did you mount it? I was hoping to have the iPod connection in my glove box and my AUX in closer to the console where I can keep control of it (my iPhone). did you do that?

az3579
05-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Any chance I can ask what is the price range you paid for it, for reference?

I didn't buy the Gateway Five; I bought the Gateway 300. I paid somewhere between 170-190 shipped, if I remember correctly.

Also, it looks like all the input connections like AUX in, iPod, etc are on one little piece. Where did you mount it? I was hoping to have the iPod connection in my glove box and my AUX in closer to the console where I can keep control of it (my iPhone). did you do that?

The unit itself is behind my radio. From there, the cables stem out to wherever you want. Glovebox is a definite possibility. I have my cables routed to my sunglasses tray underneath my climate control (I don't have nav).

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk

sna77
05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Intravee:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7107-Intravee-II-iPod-DIY-Install-amp-Review-(For-cars-with-Nav)

I have the Intravee (iPod) + OEM Bluetooth + OEM Nav + AUX + Sirius + reverse camera

NorCalZman
05-17-2012, 08:10 AM
So since you are showing us the AUX screen, I take it AUX mode is still avaliable and the AUX plug input in the back is still free for a actual AUX plug kit. correct?

sna77
05-17-2012, 08:17 AM
So since you are showing us the AUX screen, I take it AUX mode is still avaliable and the AUX plug input in the back is still free for a actual AUX plug kit. correct?

Yes... the Aux input connection is on back of the monitor. The Intravee plugs into the CD changer line in the trunk. :thumbsup

Part # 82110149391
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/auxnav.PNG

NorCalZman
05-17-2012, 08:19 AM
right, I am having that put in next week. I just wanted to make sure I could use both. The OEM solution I have seen seem to say once you put in something else the AUX mode isnt avaliable. I take it this means yes from you though, so thanks :)

I may hit you up with some more questions at some point, if you dont mind.

sna77
05-17-2012, 08:29 AM
right, I am having that put in next week. I just wanted to make sure I could use both. The OEM solution I have seen seem to say once you put in something else the AUX mode isnt avaliable. I take it this means yes from you though, so thanks :)

I may hit you up with some more questions at some point, if you dont mind.

Sorry, I initially misread your question. The OEM iPod interface (which is utterly useless) takes the AUX input place on the back of the Nav screen. You can have OEM AUX connected on back of the monitor and iPod via the CD changer input in the trunk.

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/navaux1.PNG

Check out page 37 here:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/nav/UltimateRetrofitPart2.pdf

Installing OEM Aux is very easy to do yourself.

NorCalZman
05-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Yeah I just want to make sure if I do this Intravee thing I can still have my AUX hook up. Sounds good to go! :) Thanks

sna77
05-17-2012, 08:52 AM
You definitely can keep AUX with the Intravee--and it doesn't have to be Intravee--it can be anything connected to the CD changer input (CD changer, Sirius, DICE, GROM, etc)....

NorCalZman
05-17-2012, 09:20 AM
ok I am a Intravee convert, thanks to you pushing me over the finish line. :praise I was THIS close to buying a Desnion or Mediabridge this week too.

sna77
05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
excellent!!!! :thumbsup

Taliben
05-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I think it's absolutely possible with their equipment, but i don't have it and I think it may cost a bit more than the usb2 unit.

sna77
05-17-2012, 02:54 PM
I think it's absolutely possible with their equipment, but i don't have it and I think it may cost a bit more than the usb2 unit.

The OEM AUX and OEM iPod adapter use the same input on the back of the radio. Not possible. I'm sure you could hack it up to get it to work somehow--but that doesn't work plug and play or in any capacity the dealer would support.

RichardP
05-28-2012, 07:23 AM
The OEM iPod interface uses the CD Changer audio input, not the Aux input. However, the only way to get Aux input on older (Approx Pre September 2002 with Business head unit and Pre September 2003 with Nav) is also to use the CD Changer input.

So, saying the OEM iPod interface is not compatible with Aux is only true for cars that don't support the OEM Aux at all!

What is true is to say that the OEM iPod interface can not be used with an OEM CD Changer as both use the same iBus address and same audio input into the radio module.