PDA

View Full Version : Hood Insulation

JHiggy
01-07-2011, 09:31 AM
I have shrinkage which I understand is common for both cars and people with this mileage and age. In all partial seriousness, has anyone replaced their hood insulation (that black mat attached to hood...of car) @ $96 (per Pelican Parts) and thought it was a worthwhile investment? Not sure why I care outside of it being a bit of an eyesore everytime a crack the hood open. It doesn't seem to impact performance..at least that's what she said.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-07-2011, 09:33 AM
If it bugs you, replace it. I've done that before -- with other parts. Perfectly fine part but the look of it bugged me. I replaced.

The insulation is there for one reason: noise reduction. The less you have, the louder your car sounds.

billschusteriv
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
+1. I've seen e30's with no insulation, old insulation, and new insulation. Thankfully mine can with new insulation when I bought it. I would've replaced too. Definately can hear difference in noise.

PO drove my car with a coolant leak - so I've got the telltale mark on my hood insulation. I will probably replace... just not high enough on the list of things to do right now.

Maximus57
01-07-2011, 05:16 PM
The one series doesn't have any. I thought it was missing.

mimalmo
01-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Mine doesn't have any insulation.

DESANT
01-08-2011, 09:57 PM
I think it also works as an insulation during the fire in the engine compartment.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I think it also works as an insulation during the fire in the engine compartment.

That's a myth, D. That idea has been out there floating around for some time.

My 335 didn't come with any insulation. Earlier 335s came with insulation. I'd like to think that, if there was some kind of fire safety feature, BMW would care about us evenly. But in the end it's really just a noise dampener.

kayger12
01-09-2011, 05:42 AM

The metal of the hood is about as good a fire barrier as you're gonna get in a car. Would be pointless to put insulation there as a fire retardent.

gr330zhp
01-10-2011, 10:05 PM
I removed mine altogether.

Mine was all uneven and started to gather dust so I just removed it. It's really not any louder honestly