PDA

View Full Version : Andrew's ZHP Maintenance Log

SEGUA I SOGNI
05-26-2012, 04:18 PM
May 26
Took my ZHP to Curry's Auto Service and had my A/C checked and was told it was completely empty and they would refill it and do a pressure test on it and put the dye in it. They did so and I was told it was holding pressure well and to bring it back in a week so they can see if the dye leaked out anywhere. Paid a grand total of $89 bucks and now I've got cold A/C for the summer - win!

Also today, I met up with Bruce at the BMW of Fairfax dealership to buy an oil change kit, and an upper and lower intake boot. (Thanks for the 15% BMW CCA discount, Bruce). I also bought from Autozone some MAF sensor cleaner. We went back to Bruce's house and started taking the intake parts off. It was super hard to reach the screw on the back of the lower intake boot, so we just cut off a bunch of the old rubber and took of the DISA as well so we could clean it. Then we sprayed the MAF sensor really good and sprayed cleaner on the DISA (which by the way, the flap was not loose at all). We also used a rag and some cleaner and cleaned up some of the gunk build up on the inside of the intake manifold. Bruce really did all the work, I just helped by holding the flashlight and tossing him a beer. Though we both got our hands pretty dirty and it felt great to be able to give the love that my ZHP needed. After we put it all back together, Bruce connected the code reader and cleared to codes. Once he did that, I started her up and no Service Engine Light!!!! definitely awesome....I drove it home down some real twisty back roads that Bruce recommended and really tore it up....and she just drove so sweet! All the maintenance we did just made it so much more responsive and not a single "Check Engine light" or "service engine light has come on. The whole thing took about 2.5-3 hours and I couldn't be happier. Big thanks to Bruce...you are the Man, and Keith...thank you for pulling my codes last week and following up with it. (Tomorrow....oil change) :)

Hornung418
05-26-2012, 04:24 PM
:like

kayger12
05-27-2012, 04:33 AM
Great news, Andrew.

Glad she's running well now.

BCS_ZHP
05-27-2012, 05:07 AM
The troublesome area was a bracket that holds the hoses which come up to the 90 degree fitting for the upper boot. This bracket is attached to the side of the engine with a torx screw and it perfectly blocked access to the 2 lower hose clamps of the lower boot. We tried it from the top and even put the car on jack stands to try from the bottom, just couldn't get good access to those 2 hose clamps. So decide to remove this little bracket that blocked everything. The torx socket fit on the head of the screw but it bumped up against the shock tower, no room to attach the ratchet. A very tight area to work in, used a 1/4 open end wrench on the shaft of that torx socket and turned that torx socket less than a 1/16th of a turn before having to flip the wrench around and get another less than 1/16th turn. Tedious but it worked. Going back together was much easier, flipped the hose clamps so you have access from the top with a socket on a long extension. Getting that silly little screw to thread back into the side of the engine also was a challenge but eventually got it.

Thought I'd post this up in case anyone else is lucky enough to discover the engine assembler who decided to hide access to these 2 hose clamps under that little bracket.

Ryans323i
05-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Lots of win already.

iZHP
05-27-2012, 08:09 AM
:like

-Sent via iPhone 4S