PDA

View Full Version : Stablemate

toddness
05-26-2012, 07:24 PM
I have been looking for the right one of these for some time. Met a wonderful young man and his family who have let us adopt this baby today :

danewilson77
05-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Perfect.

Sent from a Thunderbolt

Hornung418
05-26-2012, 07:37 PM
Slicktop? 13 button OBC?

That is a clean car!

toddness
05-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Slicktop? 13 button OBC?

Good eye. She is a slicktop. Negative on the 13 button OBC (yet?).

Hornung418
05-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Awesome! The M42 is a stellar engine! Any plans for it or is it going to be a stock garage queen?

toddness
05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Well, since you asked :) There's a laundry list of things we'd like to do with it:

--Teach my daughter to drive.
--All three of us would like to attend driving schools, perhaps leading to autoX or track style events.
--I want something 'simple' to get my wrenching fix on, and be okay with modifying. This also allows me to refit my 2002 back to the original configuration and truly make her the garage queen.

Throughout this process I'd like to add the mods that are appropriate. Something is up with the exhaust, which will likely be first. Brakes and suspension will likely be next to be analyzed/redone. A flywheel/clutch swap and a chip are tempting, and if we go that far maybe an LSD swap. Of course other maintenance of other wear parts are going to creep in here which will have to be dealt with as they are identified.

Fortunately none of our BMW's are our daily drivers - unless we want them to be :)

This one is almost too pretty. Hopefully we can achieve this without ruining it. Though better to find out on this than on either of the other two.

Johnmadd
05-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Well, since you asked :) There's a laundry list of things we'd like to do with it:

--All three of us would like to attend driving schools, perhaps leading to autoX or track style events.
--I want something 'simple' to get my wrenching fix on, and be okay with modifying. This also allows me to refit my 2002 back to the original configuration and truly make her the garage queen.

Throughout this process I'd like to add the mods that are appropriate. Something is up with the exhaust, which will likely be first. Brakes and suspension will likely be next to be analyzed/redone. A flywheel/clutch swap and a chip are tempting, and if we go that far maybe an LSD swap. Of course other maintenance of other wear parts are going to creep in here which will have to be dealt with as they are identified.

Fortunately none of our BMW's are our daily drivers - unless we want them to be :)

This one is almost too pretty. Hopefully we can achieve this without ruining it. Though better to find out on this than on either of the other two.

Good luck. Timing chain on the m42 is ftw.

Hornung418
05-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Very happy for you! Excited to see the progress of this beauty.

GMATT
05-27-2012, 02:34 AM
Almost to nice! Good luck with the track stuff, watch out it is very addicting !

Gary

johnnyrad
05-27-2012, 04:51 AM
I have been looking for the right one of these for some time. Met a wonderful young man and his family who have let us adopt this baby today :

Nice pickup!

DasMechaniKer
05-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Nice acquisition :)

static667
05-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Beautiful pick up, Todd. I'm jealous of your super clean e30.

Ryans323i
05-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Beautiful acquisition! What's slick top? No moon roof?

iZHP
05-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Wow. Beautiful

-Sent via iPhone 4S

Hochspannung
05-27-2012, 06:30 AM

The e30 318is already has a 4:10 LSD. The e30 325is and 318is were the last non-m cars to receive LSD's from the factory. The 325is has a lower ratio 3:73 if i remember correctly. Best cars ever made.

toddness
05-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately, the US 1991 318is only came equipped with LSD an an option. I knew this one was missing LSD before I bought the car. I have been unsuccessful finding one this in this condition with factory equipped LSD. It's unfortunate, but I can deal with it. With the intended use of the car I don't require LSD in the short term, if ever, though I will always have my eyes open.

Johal E32
05-28-2012, 03:15 PM
this car looks familiar!

(you bought this car off my relative ;) )

He was telling me about you and said the car is going to a good home!

I remember seeing this car the first night he got it.. Boy, this baby has come a LONG way.

toddness
05-29-2012, 01:25 PM
He did a marvelous job of getting the car into this condition.

He mentioned you in our discussions - I knew I recognized your name from somewhere. :)

Johal E32
05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
He did a marvelous job of getting the car into this condition.

He mentioned you in our discussions - I knew I recognized your name from somewhere. :)

Haha, he told me you were a zhp nut and were on the mafia site!

I know he was very meticulous with his (old) car. As i recall, he spent two whole weeks buffing this car to perfection!

Mike V
05-29-2012, 11:34 PM
The e30 318is already has a 4:10 LSD. The e30 325is and 318is were the last non-m cars to receive LSD's from the factory. The 325is has a lower ratio 3:73 if i remember correctly. Best cars ever made.

3.73 in the manual 325i/is and 4.10 in the autos. LSD was also available as an option in the early E36s up to 95... mostly 93-94 325is.

Very nice E30! I wish you were closer. I have a 4.10 LSD from a wrecked 318is that I would sell to you very cheap. It's been sitting in my garage for years.

toddness
06-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Hmmm....cheap plus freight from a reputable source is intriguing

Johal E32
06-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey!

How is this little guy doing?

I was going through the pictures of when Kevin dropped it off with me for a mini-detail. Man, this thing is gorgeous!

toddness
06-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Funny you should ask - I am putting together some notes here :

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7455-The-tales-of-a-stablemate...