PDA

View Full Version : Who here has clear corners?

adb1028
01-07-2011, 09:13 PM
What type of bulbs are you guys running? I've been debating on what route to go with now that I have a full set of clears from Khoalty sitting in my bedroom.

The easiest route would be to keep the ambers in, because I know it will not cause problems, but I would still have the problem of yellow reflection from the bulbs.

I could also get the silver coated bulbs that Khoalty sells, which seems like the best route, but after some research, I've found that these bulbs have caused, in some cases, the DEPO corners to melt since they are hotter.

The other option would be to get led bulbs and resistors (also from Khoalty) for the corners. I like this idea, but I think it might look stupid with LED's up front and halogen bulbs everywhere else. I would probably get a set of LED's for the sidemarkers too since they don't require resistors.

What setups work for you guys?/

mimalmo
01-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I've been running stealth bulbs for two years. No problems/issues.

My lighting is all OEM clears though.

I got my stealth bulbs at www.xenonmods.com

danewilson77
01-07-2011, 09:24 PM
^Thats what I had on the TiAg,,,,,,no problems ever with the stealth bulbs.

adb1028
01-07-2011, 09:33 PM
^Thats what I had on the TiAg,,,,,,no problems ever with the stealth bulbs.

Were the lights OEM like mimalmo or DEPO? Not sure if it makes a difference, maybe everyone with the melting problems were using the wronf type of bulbs. I'll look into the stealth's, thanks guys

Tampa330i
01-07-2011, 09:45 PM
I got my corners, sides, and stealth bulbs from khoa. I've only had them in for a few weeks, no problems so far.

adb1028
01-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I got my corners, sides, and stealth bulbs from khoa. I've only had them in for a few weeks, no problems so far.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. I guess I'll go with Khoa again for the bulbs, since i've bought just about everything from him.

How was the fitment of the lights? Did it take any modifying to get them fit right?

kayger12
01-08-2011, 03:57 AM
I also had stealth bulbs with depos for almost two years- no problems.

For my 325, fitment was perfect and required no modification.

Alphatek45
01-08-2011, 05:27 AM
I'm in a similar situation. I recently received my corners,sides and tails from Khoalty. All fit/look perfect. Funny thing is, my bulbs aren't amber. All clear. I have every receipt for any and all work on the car since day one, and I know the PO didn't change anything himself (he was a fill the tank and drive kinda guy.) Strange?

adb1028
01-08-2011, 05:53 AM
I'm in a similar situation. I recently received my corners,sides and tails from Khoalty. All fit/look perfect. Funny thing is, my bulbs aren't amber. All clear. I have every receipt for any and all work on the car since day one, and I know the PO didn't change anything himself (he was a fill the tank and drive kinda guy.) Strange?

Thats weird. I know there are OEM stealth bulbs out there, but I thought they only came on on the European cars?

Alphatek45
01-08-2011, 05:58 AM
That may actually explain it. My car was ordered in Germany by the PO.

danewilson77
01-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Were the lights OEM like mimalmo or DEPO? Not sure if it makes a difference, maybe everyone with the melting problems were using the wronf type of bulbs. I'll look into the stealth's, thanks guys

I got the 35w at JLeviSW...I am sure they were depo.

adb1028
01-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Just went out to check bulb sizes, and I was surprised at what I found. My front corners have clear bulbs that flash white.....I thought they were supposed to be yellow bulbs on the inside?

My next question is for Kayger, would it be illegal in NJ to keep the clear bulbs that flash white in the corners? Or do they have to flash amber?

kayger12
01-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Just went out to check bulb sizes, and I was surprised at what I found. My front corners have clear bulbs that flash white.....I thought they were supposed to be yellow bulbs on the inside?

My next question is for Kayger, would it be illegal in NJ to keep the clear bulbs that flash white in the corners? Or do they have to flash amber?

I'll look it up for you. The only statute that I remember off the top of my head specifies that only white and amber light can come from the front of the vehicle, and only white, amber, and red from the rear. I don't remember ever seeing anything that specified the color of directional signals.

I'll get back to you with a solid answer.

Alphatek45
01-08-2011, 08:00 AM
^ I think that's 100% accurate.

Tampa330i
01-08-2011, 08:05 AM
I had no problems with the khoa bulbs fitting in. The stealth bulbs look extraterrestrial, I love em.

adb1028
01-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I'll look it up for you. The only statute that I remember off the top of my head specifies that only white and amber light can come from the front of the vehicle, and only white, amber, and red from the rear. I don't remember ever seeing anything that specified the color of directional signals.

I'll get back to you with a solid answer.

Great, thanks Kayger, you're a good man!

zhp43867
01-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I'd get some of the higher quality/cost invisible bulbs. My Khoa bulbs were kinda dim and one was DOA unfortunately. He may have switched suppliers. I now have Invisibulbs from EAS I think.

adb1028
01-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd get some of the higher quality/cost invisible bulbs. My Khoa bulbs were kinda dim and one was DOA unfortunately. He may have switched suppliers. I now have Invisibulbs from EAS I think.

Those Invisibulbs aren't cheap! $72.19 for a set shipped to NJ. Was it problem the Khoalty bulbs were more dim?

az3579
01-08-2011, 09:42 AM
. Was it problem the Khoalty bulbs were more dim?

They're not supposed to be dim. They need to be seen and it's pretty hard to see them if they're dim.

adb1028
01-08-2011, 09:56 AM
I had no problems with the khoa bulbs fitting in. The stealth bulbs look extraterrestrial, I love em.

How is the light output of your khaolty bulbs?

zhp43867
01-08-2011, 03:46 PM
All of your turn signal bulbs are clear because the lense is Amber. The DOT requires that the corner/side lights flash amber. Two options: use an amber corner with a clear bulb, or use a clear corner with an amber bulb.

Tampa330i
01-08-2011, 10:29 PM

It looks fine to me. I have nothing to compare it with, though. I will be taking some night shots of my headlights monday, I'll get some of these as well.

kayger12
01-09-2011, 05:33 AM
All of your turn signal bulbs are clear because the lense is Amber. The DOT requires that the corner/side lights flash amber. Two options: use an amber corner with a clear bulb, or use a clear corner with an amber bulb.

My understanding is that DOT requires amber turn signals for a new vehicle to be sold in the US.

Whether or not there is a federal DOT reg requiring continued use of amber won't be much of an issue to him because local and state cops cannot enforce federal statutes and regulations.

If there isn't a specific state law that requires amber colored turn signals (which I don't believe exists) the only place there may be an issue is at inspection.

Either way I'll have an answer Monday.

az3579
01-09-2011, 06:36 AM
The law cannot require amber turn signals; otherwise, almost all of the American cars would be in violation. Many cars nowadays have red turn signals.
Going with the law that only red, amber, and white may show from the back of the vehicle and only white and amber from the front, I think you'd be in cooperation with the law.

zhp43867
01-09-2011, 08:11 AM
My understanding is that DOT requires amber turn signals for a new vehicle to be sold in the US.

Whether or not there is a federal DOT reg requiring continued use of amber won't be much of an issue to him because local and state cops cannot enforce federal statutes and regulations.

If there isn't a specific state law that requires amber colored turn signals (which I don't believe exists) the only place there may be an issue is at inspection.

Either way I'll have an answer Monday.

Yes, for new vehicles. That's why the E46 came with clear bulbs in it's amber lenses, or for the cars that had clear lenses, amber bulbs.

az- I can't recall any examples of what you're talking about. Cars like the E9X do have clear lenses with amber bulbs, etc.

SC4ME
01-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Didn't go the clear corners route.

I like the yellow/red color combination (reminds me of my favorite combo, Cardinal and Gold).

Alphatek45
01-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Didn't go the clear corners route.

I like the yellow/red color combination (reminds me of my favorite combo, Cardinal and Gold).

This is the only color that I would keep the ambers on. Just werks.

pyreguy
01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I just use amber bulbs in my clear corners. And amber bulbs in my clear repeaters too. I like the little bit of color it adds. Breaks up the monotony.

adb1028
01-09-2011, 07:03 PM
The only problem I see with the front turn signals being white is that they might blend in with the headlights.
I guess we'll find out when Kayger gets back to us with a definite answer.

kayger12
01-09-2011, 07:17 PM
The only problem I see with the front turn signals being white is that they might blend in with the headlights.
I guess we'll find out when Kayger gets back to us with a definite answer.

First thing tomorrow morning. Coffee and Title 39- nice way to ease into Monday...

kayger12
01-10-2011, 05:48 AM
39:3-50 Color of Lamps: The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows... White when the lamp is a headlamp, spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign...Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running board or other courtesy lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp, or a turn signal on or facing the front. Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or stop lamp on or facing the rear.

So there you have it. In NJ at least, white turn signals in the front are legal; white turn signals in the back are illegal.

adb1028
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
39:3-50 Color of Lamps: The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows... White when the lamp is a headlamp, spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign...Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running board or other courtesy lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp, or a turn signal on or facing the front. Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or stop lamp on or facing the rear.

So there you have it. In NJ at least, white turn signals in the front are legal; white turn signals in the back are illegal.

Interesting, no mention of the side-markers. Might as well get a set of stealth bulbs anyway, I don't want to risk the ticket.

Or, I could keep the white in the front and sides, then put stealth ambers in the back.

Thanks for getting that information Kayger, its appreciated.

kayger12
01-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Interesting, no mention of the side-markers. Might as well get a set of stealth bulbs anyway, I don't want to risk the ticket.

Or, I could keep the white in the front and sides, then put stealth ambers in the back.

Thanks for getting that information Kayger, its appreciated.

Glad to help.

I think the side markers would fall under, "side cowl or fender lamp."

You'd be good with the white light front and side, and amber stealths for the back.

Tampa330i
01-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Here's a video of the light output of khoa bulbs with khoa clear corners and sides with hazards on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gcs5lGQnGU

adb1028
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I was just about to order the bulbs from Khoalty (after seeing Tampa's video), but the shipping is ridiculous! $14.20 in shipping for two bulbs? I don't think so.

Going to order them from xenonmods.com

Tampa330i
01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
That is high, they don't weigh much at all. I got my bulbs for sides and front plus all 7 roundels and the shipping was $13 to FL.

Johnmadd
07-24-2011, 02:18 PM
On the order page for khoality corners it ask what current bulb you have, does this matter? Here's the link, quick response would be great. http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/sedan-corner-lights.html?options=cart

Johal E32
07-24-2011, 04:09 PM
i haz the LEDS in the front corners. Seem to work good :)