PDA

View Full Version : Engine and Transmission Mount Replacement

Hornung418
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
Some of you are aware of my failed mounts, if not, now you know :)

I'm debating between OEM e92M3 engine mounts and the AKG 75D engine mounts. For the transmission im going as stiff as possible (Not solid). I haven't Money Shifted and I don't plan on it. I also don't want to be locked out of a gear change.

End goal has always been to auto-x this car, but maintenance has always been an issue. And now I've get to deal with 13 year old mounts that leak the Jelly and rattle the engine supports.

So the question is Poly or OEM? I'll document the repair process here as well. It will have to wait til July as I'll be in Branson, MO on vacation with the family.

Sent from my P.O.S. DroidX

Whitexi
05-31-2012, 04:44 PM
The stock M3 mounts wont work? I would think that there much stiffer over the regular E46 ones.

static667
05-31-2012, 04:48 PM
If not M3 mounts, go poly.

Hornung418
05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah I was set to get the 75D poly mounts just for the sake of their stiffness. 75D Durometer is used for hard hats. Not sure how much give there is.

e92 M3 mounts will fit on any e36, e46 and e90. They are the latest part number...and they're 68 bucks a pop...I assume they are really quite stiff, but I only want to do this once.

Johnmadd
05-31-2012, 07:07 PM
If you only want to do this one time go for the poly ones. You will probably find the job easier than imagined and want the daily comfort of more stock material mounts and willingness to change them out when necessary. Fyi, I want to get a e30 and change it to all poly bushings and mounts just to drive it hard every day.

M3TA5IN
05-31-2012, 08:01 PM
I have poly mounts for the M3. It was so stiff it vibrated so the OEM ones are back in. I am thinking about putting them back in because I have had an re calibration of heart the last couple of days kinda.

derbo
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
OEM e92 m3 mounts for the engine, and I use RE Tranmissions mounts. It feels much better in my car as well as no change in vibration noise or harness.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/TM/TM.html

Assuming this is your daily driver, I don't see a reason to compromise NVH in the cabin for a very little benefit of going poly vs OEM M3 mounts.

Hornung418
06-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll do the M3 mounts.

Sent from my P.O.S. DroidX

Ryans323i
06-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Thanks for asking this Justin, as you know, I need these too. Clunk clunk!

Thanks for the input Derek, I tend to take your word for gospel.

Whitexi
06-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Justin Is it the passenger side that's the easy one to change?

LivesNearCostco
06-01-2012, 08:21 AM
The passenger side is harder to change on the ZHP because you either have to raise the engine up higher or loosen the 4 engine support bracket bolts to get the new mount in with the heat shield on it. However some have changed it without loosening the bracket bolts.

I currently have BimmerWorld solid rubber motor mounts with UUC black tranny mounts (no enforcer cups), which are probably similar in stiffness to the Rogue ones. NVH is noticeably higher below 1000RPM but almost un-noticeable >1000RPM. It used to bother me quite at bit stoplights but now I don't notice it as much. I guesstimate that the BW rubber mounts are softer than the AKG 75D poly ones.

If I had to do it all over again (85% street, 15% AutoX/track), I'd get OEM M3 engine mounts and still use the UUC (or Rogue) transmission mounts.

Whitexi
06-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm not looking forward to doing this my self, I am probably going to order my mounts and then decide from there.

Vas
12-12-2012, 05:31 PM
I just purchased a set of UUC isolated urethane trans mounts and enforcer cups. Hoping to do the install asap.