PDA

View Full Version : Jon's '04 Sedan Ownership Log

JupiterBMW
06-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Ok folks.. I suppose its time for me to start a thread so that my project can be logged in a way. I plan to first get the car 'up to snuff' with a few repairs and some needed maintenance, and I also plan to do a few mods along the way to make her my own.

Purchased on May 31st, 2012, I paid $15,000 for the car. Its an '04 Sedan, Alpine white with natural brown leather, black cube trim. The car had 93,469 on the ticker, and she's now just over 95,000 miles. I bought her in North Salem, NY, and right after I bought her, I drove her down to Florida, no PPI done at all. I did a few minutes test drive with my old man and was sold on the look and feel of the car. She did me proud on the drive south though, not one hiccup.

Now that she's home, the first step is to get her cleaned up, paint restored to showroom shine, and wheels cleaned up (they're in pretty rough shape). Then, the following work will follow..

Maintenance to come- The stuff it seems to need right now.
1. Repair/retrofit burnt headlight bowls
2. Fluid exchange all around
3. VANOS rebuild (I get some rattle/ticking at idle...?)
4. DISA rebuild
5. Navigation unit updates (car thinks it is in NJ...?)

Mods to come- The stuff I want!
1. CSL or ZCP rims (Style 359s)
2. iPod/Aux connectivity
3. OEM Bluetooth...?
4. OEM Homelink...?
5. Clear corner/sidemarkers, RCR tails
6. HID yellow fog lights (McCulloch lights, had them on my last car, LOVE them)
7. Dinan intake
8. Dinan exhaust
9. Dinan software
10. Dinan badge... eventually! Always wanted a Dinan BMW.
11. M3 rear end setup

Aaaaand, I think that's enough! I'll most likely be about 40 when all that stuff is completed! :biggrin

Anyway, onto the initial pics... Before I have done anything.

328ioc
06-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Looking good Jon. Can't wait to see her in person and see what the future holds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Pip
06-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Diggin that color combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JupiterBMW
06-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Looking good Jon. Can't wait to see her in person and see what the future holds.

Thank you both! And Dev, yes man... We need to plan something... What's your schedule like?? Work M-F 9-5?? I'm on vacation til September, so I've got time...

danewilson77
06-15-2012, 07:10 AM
That car makes me wanna swear.

328ioc
06-15-2012, 07:13 AM
Thank you both! And Dev, yes man... We need to plan something... What's your schedule like?? Work M-F 9-5?? I'm on vacation til September, so I've got time...

Yeah work Mafia at least till I start classes again in August. I'm free almost any weekend but i am planning to be on vacation the week of July 4th. So maybe after that?

JupiterBMW
06-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Dane- in a good way I hope!

Dev- yeah man that works. My parents are gonna be in town that weekend anyway to see our baby. So before or after is all good.

danewilson77
06-15-2012, 07:26 AM
Dane- in a good way I hope!

Absotively!

JupiterBMW
06-15-2012, 03:43 PM
Well, after starting my detail and paint restoration, I want to swear in a bad way! My freaking shoulders are sore, and I haven't even done the finish wax yet... But dang, she's smoother than a greased up bowling ball... :biggrin

After detail pics will come soon... I will at that time find a nice pic location too... :)

nike001
06-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Congrats on the car! My ideal ZHP --- AW/Nat Brown/6MT

Allow me to help on a few things. I'll insert my parts in red.

1. Repair/retrofit burnt headlight bowls
3. VANOS rebuild (I get some rattle/ticking at idle...?) -- VANOS rattle usually occurs at ~2,000RPM. The ticking you may be hearing might just be normal Idle
4. DISA rebuild -- My idea on DISA: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A good inspection and cleaning would definitely help though
5. Navigation unit updates (car thinks it is in NJ...?) -- Isn't the whole point of nav for the car to know where it is at all times?

1. CSL or ZCP rims (Style 359s) -- CSL Reps would suit you best, as OEM CSL/ZCP rims from an M3 wouldn't fit due to their low offsets.
2. iPod/Aux connectivity -- Here's the link I followed: http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php. You need part number 82-11-0-149-389 that goes along with your Nav.
3. OEM Bluetooth...?
4. OEM Homelink...? --You can find two different HomeLink's for our cars. One goes on the rearview mirror, and the other is one you place next to your sunroof controls. Ebay is usually a good place to start.
5. Clear corner/sidemarkers, RCR tails -- Turner sells the OE kit (recommended). Other suppliers usually care the DEPO knock offs
6. HID yellow fog lights (McCulloch lights, had them on my last car, LOVE them) --I have yellow HID (DDM) fogs and they produced too much glare on other drivers so I got rid of them. I'd suggest yellow halogen fogs, and also keeping your fog lenses clear for a cleaner look. But your car -- do as you please.
7. Dinan intake -- A Dinan Long Tube intake won't fit your car. The ZKW headlights with the ZKW ballast, which is unable to be relocated is in the way. I've retrofitted AL lights from an M3 with a relocatable ballast. PM me if you need more info on this.
8. Dinan exhaust
9. Dinan software
10. Dinan badge... eventually! Always wanted a Dinan BMW. --You need 10pts to be eligible to receive a Dinan badge from them.. which an exhaust might be 2 and software might be 1. You can always get a badge off Ebay though I'd assume.
11. M3 rear end setup

JupiterBMW
06-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the comments man. I really appreciate your input. I'm still not 100% sure about VANOS/DISA repairs as I'm still not 100% sure on the symptoms of each issue. My car definitely has a noticeable power surge, but I want to say its between 2-3K rpm... Of course, I don't know, she doesn't get driven very hard, and she spends a lot of time in the garage.

As for the Nav, yeah, I'm stumped. I'm a little hesitant to drop $200 on new discs because not sure that is my problem. We'll see, I don't really play with it much anyway... Back burner issue for now.

Rims, yeah, sorry, I should've specified replicas.. I don't have the coin for true OEM versions anyway... I'm thinking VMRs... Either the VB3 or V718s.. Not sure on the difference between them..

Homelink, good call on the Ebay. Thanks... I'm thinking I'll shoot for the rearview mirror one. That's where it is on our X3, and I'd like to keep the cars similar... You know how often I go for the window controls on the door panel of the ZHP before realizing I'm in the other car...?!?! :biggrin

As for lights, yep, I'll do the Turner kit, it looks great and its complete, no fussing around for details.. Stealth bulbs too of course. As for the fogs, I'll have to look into them. On my last car, they weren't a problem, it was an H11 bulb which I believe is the same as the ZHP fogs... Either way, yes, yellow bulb, clear lens... I like subtle. :)

As for the Dinan intake... You're talking about the high flow intake on their site? Hmm, that would suck because that's 2 or 3 points toward the badge. I'll have to figure it out though as I want to truly build the car. And yeah, 10 points to get the badge. I've been looking on their site to see what else would get me there. I don't know, just always wanted to build a true Dinan car... So no eBay badge for me... :)

Thanks again for your input! Always open to suggestions from the veterans...

nike001
06-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Your power surge could be a few things. VANOS, DISA, or you don't have the software update that fixes the power surge around that area.

I had yellow fogs with the clear lenses before I put my yellow lamin-x on and one of the reasons I put the lamin-x on was because when you would look at the car, the fog housing would look greenish white. The lamin-x took that away, along with the added deep yellow light that was put out.

As per the intake, yes, i was talking about the long tube/ high flow. You have a few options. Halogen lights with no ballast, AL lights with a relocatable ballast, or another intake such as the BMW performance/ AFe Intake.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have!

JupiterBMW
06-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes, only one question... Are you buying the BMW Performance intake?? :biggrin I'd love to have that one, but DAYUM its pricey... As for lights, I'm looking to do the E90 projector retrofit, so I guess the Dinan intake will be out of the question... No biggie, there are other options. :)

nike001
06-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I snagged up a BMW performance intake while they were <$300 :)

BCS_ZHP
06-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Jon,
With your mileage, you might want to set aside some funds for known preventative maintenance items. LCABs are going to be due as well as a cooling system refresh. If you attack the PM first and mods second, you'll be happier in the end.

JupiterBMW
06-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah, being that I have a house to take care of, a wife and baby, and a payment on a brand new X3, its not like I'll suck my savings dry buying toys for the ZHP... That mod list will undoubtedly take me a couple years, it was just my entire goal for the car... But the car does look to have been well cared for. It has a new alternator and clutch in it and while underneath it the other day, I noticed the FCABs have been recently done. The bushing material is black with a purple center right where the control arm goes into it... Not sure if its just an OEM replacement or something better, but they look nice. :)

bcleaver
06-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Oh yeah, being that I have a house to take care of, a wife and baby, and a payment on a brand new X3, its not like I'll suck my savings dry buying toys for the ZHP... That mod list will undoubtedly take me a couple years, it was just my entire goal for the car... But the car does look to have been well cared for. It has a new alternator and clutch in it and while underneath it the other day, I noticed the FCABs have been recently done. The bushing material is black with a purple center right where the control arm goes into it... Not sure if its just an OEM replacement or something better, but they look nice. :)

Sounds like powerflex FCAB's, which would be a nice upgrade. Loving the AW, nice car.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Qk0nFsq7b6c/T1bRWcRts_I/AAAAAAAAiWk/gOvI48-9QeA/s800/IMG_3034.jpg

JupiterBMW
06-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Yep, those are the ones! Sweet!

Hah, so those, along with the K&N air filter I found yesterday, I've already got 2 upgrades!! :biggrin

johnrando
06-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Looking good. Send me that envelope and I'll send you the NAV firmware upgrade CD.

JupiterBMW
06-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Ahhhh sheeeeeet mang! I have been so busy, I forgot all about that. I gotta locate the thread with your address in it and I will send today!

johnrando
06-18-2012, 07:28 AM
I'll PM it.

JupiterBMW
07-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Wow, I haven't updated this thread since I first created it. Hmmm, I suppose now is a good time. Updates and revisions to my initial list are below... :)

1. Repair/retrofit burnt headlight bowls- DONE! I did the E90 retrofit on my ZKW lights, and also purchased a set of AL lights. ZKW lights are for sale!
3. VANOS rebuild (I get some rattle/ticking at idle...?)- Hmm, I found my rattle and it turned out to be a loose/rusted exhaust/transmission brace. A new one ordered and installed
4. DISA rebuild- According to another mafia member, car feels/drives really good, probably ok for now
5. Navigation unit updates (car thinks it is in NJ...?)- Software update completed to latest edition. Map updates still needed, but found out antenna and wire to it are stripped of insulation, most likely grounding/shorting causing the location errors... Ebay sourcing parts.

1. CSL or ZCP rims (Style 359s)- Settled on ZCP style, Avant Garde M359s, 18x8.5 square setup... Soon I hope!
2. iPod/Aux connectivity
3. OEM Bluetooth...?
4. OEM Homelink...?- Done!!
7. Dinan intake- Not yet, but found out there's a K&N filter in the air box! Sweet!
8. Dinan exhaust
9. Dinan software
11. M3 rear end setup
12. Added OEM carpeted floor mats
13. Completed the CDV removal mod

cakM3
07-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Jon, lookin' good so far! :thumbsup

JupiterBMW
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks Charlie... :)

A couple updated pics to show her off.. Nothing spectacular, but I'm still :wub about this car. :biggrin

Cleaned up the engine a bit. :)

New tires out back, much needed...

OEM Homelink! Not perfect, but I got it for a steal!

Stupid CDV... In the trash now!

New floormats... Mmmm....

NorCalZman
07-25-2012, 09:03 PM
what kind of difference did the CDV delete make vs stock, coming from a fellow new owner?

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 03:47 AM
As I was mentioning to Devlin, it honestly made the car feel quicker in the first 2-3 gears, especially off a light. The shifts are snappy and now that there is no intentional slipping of the clutch, 100% of the torque can be applied to the ground, right away, hence making the car feel faster. At least, that's what the butt dyno said. :biggrin

328ioc
07-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Totally taking mine out this weekend.

3ZHPGUY
07-26-2012, 05:36 AM
1. CSL or ZCP rims (Style 359s)
2. iPod/Aux connectivity
3. OEM Bluetooth...?
4. OEM Homelink...?
7. Dinan intake
8. Dinan exhaust
9. Dinan software
11. M3 rear end setup

FYI on the DINAN Software; I have a friend from the club that is involved in Club racing and is a DINAN Tech. So, last year I was contemplating doing the Stage 2 Software upgrade to go with my intake. I checked out everything I could find and didn't see any significant documented change and decided to call this friend. What he told me was that I may not even notice the change after spending the money. His quote; " the OEM software makes up for the change in air flow and makes the proper adjustments".

Recognized changes for me:

Turner under drive Pulleys
BMW OEM software Flash

johnrando
07-26-2012, 06:35 AM
Way to knock off that list. For me, my Turner underdrive pulleys didn't seem to do much, except MAYBE the pull felt "easier" when accelerating heavier. What was the difference you felt?

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Hmm, honestly, I would do pulleys, but I'm not sure if I want to underdrive anything. Heck, these cars have cooling issues, the last thing I want to do is slow down the water pump... As for the power steering, not such an issue, but eh, I'm not trying to unlock every last horsepower... I've always wanted to build a Dinan 3. Whether I feel huge gains or not, I still want to build the car. Is that a waste of money? Perhaps, but I still want to do it...

Perhaps I'll do intake/exhaust and skip the software. I'll see what else I would want to buy towards getting the car Dinan badged.

cakM3
07-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Jon,

If DINAN is what you desire then I say go for it! :thumbsup It's your ZHP and you have a vision....pursue it to completion and document every step of your process...:) Everyone has a different path for their cars...that's what makes them unique :biggrin You will most likely get your DINAN ZHP and eventually, I will have my ESS TS3 ZHP :)

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Haha, yes Charlie... And let me say this. Once I acquire the Dinan stamp of approval, that doesn't mean I'm done... I would like to do a power adder kit of some sort. The ESS setup looks really good, and I've been looking at that more and more... :)

cakM3
07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
If you are going for the ESS TS3 setup then be ready to shell out roughly $12k just for the kit.....rebuilding the engine and installing/tuning the SC will run even more after everything is said and done....but man will this be a complete sleeper car :drool :drool :drool That's the WOW factor I'm going for with my ZHP :) That and adding LSD to complete the transformation... Okay... I just shared my vision...;)

johnrando
07-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Hmm, honestly, I would do pulleys, but I'm not sure if I want to underdrive anything. Heck, these cars have cooling issues, the last thing I want to do is slow down the water pump... As for the power steering, not such an issue, but eh, I'm not trying to unlock every last horsepower... I've always wanted to build a Dinan 3. Whether I feel huge gains or not, I still want to build the car. Is that a waste of money? Perhaps, but I still want to do it...

Perhaps I'll do intake/exhaust and skip the software. I'll see what else I would want to buy towards getting the car Dinan badged.

Oh, I misread, thought you did pulleys. No issues with heat here in SoCal so not too worried about that. I rarely drive in temps over 80. The s/w helps, so I'd do it. It's just not much.

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah here in south Florida we have the heat. Heck last night I went out to adjust the lights at 9:15 and it was still about 85 degrees. Lol

328ioc
07-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Yeah here in south Florida we have the heat. Heck last night I went out to adjust the lights at 9:15 and it was still about 85 degrees. Lol

Holy crap was it hot last night lol muggy too.

JupiterBMW
07-28-2012, 06:31 PM
So I gave her another coat of wax tonight, and while doing so, I finally decided I was sick of looking at my pitted, crappy looking exhaust tips. Just because it's a stock exhaust, I still wanted it to look nice. So, I spent about 5 minutes with some 320 grit sandpaper, and then followed it up with another 10 minutes of polishing. Here's a pic of the products used and the result. I could definitely do better, but for 15 minutes, I'm happy!

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6ed06a-a0ac-a23a.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6ed06a-a0b6-04e4.jpg

Johnmadd
07-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Looks good Jon.

sna77
07-29-2012, 05:15 AM
Cleaned up the engine a bit. :)
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5225

What did you use to make the engine look so nice?

sna77
07-29-2012, 05:17 AM
FYI on the DINAN Software; I have a friend from the club that is involved in Club racing and is a DINAN Tech. So, last year I was contemplating doing the Stage 2 Software upgrade to go with my intake. I checked out everything I could find and didn't see any significant documented change and decided to call this friend. What he told me was that I may not even notice the change after spending the money. His quote; " the OEM software makes up for the change in air flow and makes the proper adjustments".

Recognized changes for me:

Turner under drive Pulleys
BMW OEM software Flash

I have the Dinan Stage 3 software. I can absolutely feel a difference over stock. It's also worth it for the increased redline. Well worth it IMO.

JupiterBMW
07-29-2012, 05:42 AM
Steve, to be honest, I don't remember what I used to detail the engine. It was one of the two products below, and I thinking it was the ultimate black. Btw, it stills looks that way today, and I haven't touched it since...

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6ed06a-3db6-26d3.jpg

Also, thanks for the info on the Dinan software. I am definitely going to stick with their software as its built specifically for their products. Speaking of, do you have the TB? Thoughts on gains with that one?

Jon D
07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Jon

One of the first things I did was an Active Autowerks tune. That combined with a K&N and an new exhaust [muffler]. It really changed the butt dino. If you want to feel it contact me off line and we can meet as your in the general neighborhood. I do not have a surge that I can tell.

328ioc
07-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Jon

One of the first things I did was an Active Autowerks tune. That combined with a K&N and an new exhaust [muffler]. It really changed the butt dino. If you want to feel it contact me off line and we can meet as your in the general neighborhood. I do not have a surge that I can tell.

Jon,

Never realized you are in Ft. Lauderdale you the other Jon and I might need to throw a mini meet together.

JupiterBMW
07-29-2012, 11:23 AM
Jon

Yeah man, I'd definitely be interested. I'm still pretty sure I want to go with the Dinan tune as I will be going with the Dinan intake and exhaust. But, I'd love to get together at some point anyway and see how your car pulls to see what the gains are with all the mods... I'm convinced that I don't have a stumble either. I thought I did, but Devlin drove it and it feels good...

Are you going to the FloridaBimmer rally in August?

JupiterBMW
07-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Well, another big update for my ZHP today! Since day 1, my navigation has been acting funny. It hasn't tracked right. Well, step one was to upgrade the software. Thanks to johnrando for sending me a burned copy of the latest software for the nav unit. That unfortunately didn't help. Well, while it was at the dealer for an inspection, they found that there was a problem with the antenna wiring. They said the insulation was completely gone on the wire. Lovely...

Well, today I ripped out the entire interior in the trunk, including the rear headrests and rear decklid... I found a large slice in the insulation in the nav antenna wire, about 6" up from where it plugs into the DVD drive. So, I fished the whole thing out and removed the nav signal receiver from the rear decklid. Many thanks to Steve (sna77) for the question/answer via PM through this process.

Long story short, I noticed that the extension wire from the DVD drive to the signal receiver had the same set of plugs at each end. So I got crafty... I checked and the signal receiver plugged right in to the DVD drive. I plugged it in, velcroed it to the top of the drive, and reinstalled everything... A quick test drive around town showed that my GPS is tracking true and it follows my actual movements. Looks perfect! :biggrin I'm so happy! A major fix that cost me $0. A couple pics below..

Mid progress

The offending portion of antenna wire

danewilson77
07-29-2012, 03:45 PM
What did you use to make the engine look so nice?

You want Silkolene

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

sna77
07-29-2012, 05:22 PM
You want Silkolene

Google gave me a few Silkolene products... Could you send a link to the one you recommend? thx

sna77
07-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Long story short, I noticed that the extension wire from the DVD drive to the signal receiver had the same set of plugs at each end. So I got crafty... I checked and the signal receiver plugged right in to the DVD drive. I plugged it in, velcroed it to the top of the drive, and reinstalled everything... A quick test drive around town showed that my GPS is tracking true and it follows my actual movements. Looks perfect! :biggrin I'm so happy! A major fix that cost me $0. A couple pics below..

The true test is to see if the Almanac downloads completely. If it hasn't yet, leave the car running for about 30 minutes with a clear view of the sky.

To get to the almanac follow this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58-VwLCCmE

Being lazy, pic from my X3, your e46 should look like this:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/x3oemnav/34.JPG

not:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342897&d=1262147495

JupiterBMW
07-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Hmm, DW, Silkolene seems to be all lubricant products. I wasn't able to find any detailing goods on their website...

I still recommend Meguiar's Ultimate lineup. Cheap, easy to find, and works DAMN well!

JupiterBMW
07-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Hmm, I'll have to look into that Steve. Thanks!

JupiterBMW
07-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Time to update my list again.. :biggrin

1. Repair/retrofit burnt headlight bowls- DONE! I did the E90 retrofit on my ZKW lights, but then I sold them and purchased a set of AL lights. I also purchased a set of Osram Xenarc SVS D2S bulbs for optimal headlight performance.
3. VANOS rebuild (I get some rattle/ticking at idle...?)- VANOS turned out to be ok, rattle was a transmission bracket, all good now
4. DISA rebuild- According to another mafia member, car feels/drives really good, probably ok for now
5. Navigation unit updates (car thinks it is in NJ...?)- Software update completed to latest edition. Found a large slice in the antenna extension wire, so I removed it. Navigation is now tracking perfect and right on location. Still need map updates!

1. CSL or ZCP rims (Style 359s)- Settled on ZCP style, Avant Garde M359s, 18x8.5 square setup... Soon I hope!
2. iPod/Aux connectivity
3. OEM Bluetooth...?
4. OEM Homelink...?- Done!!
5. Clear corner/sidemarkers, RCR tails- Ordered the full Turner Motorsports package!
7. Dinan intake- Not yet, but found out there's a K&N filter in the air box! Sweet!
8. Dinan exhaust
9. Dinan software
11. M3 rear end setup
12. Added OEM carpeted floor mats
13. Completed the CDV removal mod

derbo
07-29-2012, 07:41 PM
how are the oscram svs? :) I was thinking of getting some CBI ones but they are a bit expensive and it would be weird changing something I don't need to atm.

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 02:45 AM
how are the oscram svs? :) I was thinking of getting some CBI ones but they are a bit expensive and it would be weird changing something I don't need to atm.

I will let you know tonight hopefully. According to the guys at TRS, they're basically the brand new version out, just as bright as the CBI but without the blue tint. CBI are a 5000K and the SVS are a 4300K. So, basically, CBI brightness and spread with OEM Philips color. We shall see. I have one standard Osram 66240 kicking around too, so I'll probably install that first to compare color and brightness. Either way, I'm pretty excited!

danewilson77
07-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Google gave me a few Silkolene products... Could you send a link to the one you recommend? thx

Hmm, DW, Silkolene seems to be all lubricant products. I wasn't able to find any detailing goods on their website...

I still recommend Meguiar's Ultimate lineup. Cheap, easy to find, and works DAMN well!

Read that sheet. I no lie. Pocketed introduced it to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Silkolene-80076500477-Pro-Prep-12-5oz/dp/B0012TQUMA/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1343654102&amp;sr= 1-9&amp;keywords=silkolene

sna77
07-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks! How do you apply it? Just spray on and wash off?

found it on Amazon for a few $ cheaper too:
http://www.amazon.com/Silkolene-80149400477-80076500477-PREP-12-5-OZ/dp/B006B224B4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 06:21 AM
The true test is to see if the Almanac downloads completely. If it hasn't yet, leave the car running for about 30 minutes with a clear view of the sky.

To get to the almanac follow this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X58-VwLCCmE

Being lazy, pic from my X3, your e46 should look like this:
http://www.bigpatsfans.com/x3oemnav/34.JPG

not:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342897&d=1262147495

Ok, Steve, I went into there and it said 'no' next to the almanac. It showed 8 satellites visible, but only had 1 with numbers next to it. Car is in the driveway running right now. Whats next? Should it automatically download? What does that do for me? What if it doesn't download...?

sna77
07-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Ok, Steve, I went into there and it said 'no' next to the almanac. It showed 8 satellites visible, but only had 1 with numbers next to it. Car is in the driveway running right now. Whats next? Should it automatically download? What does that do for me? What if it doesn't download...?

You need the almanac for proper GPS tracking. If you dont have numbers next to the satellites that measn the signal is very weak. If you dont download the almanac after an hour of the car running, that means the signal isnt strong enough and you need to move the antenna for better signal. Give it a while and report back.

Also, look in the top right corner--do you see as many green satellites as are shown here? Only 1-2 green icons is not good.

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/navdemo/Nav-full.jpg

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Yeah man, sorry I would've updated, but I was busy feeding the baby. Anyway, I went out there after about 30 minutes and the almanac was updated. I will have to check for the number of satellites, but I am pretty confident in the progress already. After the almanac showed loaded, it had the position (lat & long) and altitude... So, seems to be ok.

Thanks again though, I'll report back after driving around.

Oh, and I turned on the perspective maps for the 3D map. Very cool... :)

johnrando
07-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Nice work getting that all sorted out Jon.

cakM3
07-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Glad to see you got your Navi sorted out Jon! :thumbsup Steve is :theman when you need help with your navi :)

danewilson77
07-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks! How do you apply it? Just spray on and wash off?

found it on Amazon for a few $ cheaper too:
http://www.amazon.com/Silkolene-80149400477-80076500477-PREP-12-5-OZ/dp/B006B224B4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Shit. I thought my link was to Amazon. Yup....apply it, leave it on or wipe it off. I lightly wipe it off.

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replies gents! I do agree, Steve is the man for nav info. Although, I can't discount John's help by sending me the latest software update. :thumbsup.

JupiterBMW
07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
Headlight project finally completed tonight. After a long retrofit job, I sold those and bought some AL lights, and upgraded them with brand new Osram Xenarc SVS bulbs. Very happy with the result.

Now awaiting delivery of my clear light package from Turner! :biggrin

JupiterBMW
08-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Clear lights arrived, sorta. The taillights are backordered but they shipped the front corners and sidemarkers. Got them installed this evening and I'm very happy with the result! They look perfect...

johnrando
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Good news. pics please!

EDIT: I just saw the iphone pics in the gallery section, looks good.

JupiterBMW
08-14-2012, 05:43 PM
8/14- New 2012 maps disc for Nav unit. Works great. :thumbsup

sna77
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
JupiterBMW: Car looks amazing with the clears on. AW ZHP with clears. drool

And glad you got the maps updated--you're Nav is finally all up to date and tracking properly--woot woot

cakM3
08-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah Jon, I have to agree with Steve. Your AW ZHP looks awesome with clears :thumbsup :drool

JupiterBMW
08-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys! I had a great day taking care of a couple other little things on the car, so she looks even better now. I am exhausted though and need to get to sleep. Pictures of new mods coming in the morning!

JupiterBMW
09-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Creating a new thread that is better organized with a thorough list of maintenance/mods at the beginning... I've been inspired by some of you more organized types... :biggrin

Please see new thread to be created soon. :)

danewilson77
09-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Closed at members request.