PDA

View Full Version : DISA rebuild cured my power dip

Sockethead
06-19-2012, 05:08 AM
I've been putting off replacing my DISA valve for years because I didn't want to spend a couple of humdred dollars for something that MAY fix my power dip ~4000-4500 RPM. My DISA valve appeared to be ok when I pulled and examined it.

Then I saw Dane and some others talking about the German Auto Solutions DISA rebuild kit, I bought one and installed it. Now the tranistion at that RPM is perfectly smooth - no more fluttering or stumbling. I'll tell ya, I pulled that DISA valve at least three times to test it but every time it appeared to be tight and smooth. Obviously, there was some kind of binding going on.

The Kit is high quality and uses a solid shaft and aluminum flap instead of plastic. The instructions show in good detail how to tell if your existing DISA is servicable AND they will let you return the kit if it's not
I'll never replace a servicable DISA again! :thumbsup

Ryans323i
06-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Really cool and good to hear. Generally speaking, how hard was it to do?

Sockethead
06-19-2012, 06:18 AM
Really cool and good to hear. Generally speaking, how hard was it to do?

It was really easy and the instructions are excellent

Ryans323i
06-19-2012, 06:21 AM
That's great to hear.

elric
06-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Just ordered a kit for myself!!

Hornung418
06-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Great to hear, Rob! You may want to leave some feedback for Gary @ G.A.S. He's looking to build an all aluminum piece. No chance for vacuum leaks. Great work!

Sent from Branson, MO.

JupiterBMW
06-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Good to hear as this is something I plan to look into myself very soon. Can you post a link to the parts you ordered? I found somewhere online a "gold" kit, but I can't remember where... It was like $300... Please tell me you spent less than that!!!

Hornung418
06-19-2012, 07:05 AM
Its a kit from German Auto Solutions and costs $75.

Sent from Branson, MO.

johnrando
06-19-2012, 07:14 AM
The Gold one is a new DISA with the rebuild already done. I was shocked it was $300 but it turns out if you bought a new DISA and the kit, the Gold is really only $30 more and already done for you. Obviously just the rebuild kit is way cheaper at $75.

elric
06-19-2012, 07:14 AM
http://germanautosolutions.com/DISA_Valve_Repair_Kit.html

WOLFN8TR
06-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Good to hear! It cured mine also, the car runs so much better overall.

Ryan it was really east to do. Gary has step by step instructions on his website.

Bayerische-Motoren-Werke

danewilson77
06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Totally diggin this answer. Thanks Rob. For $82.00.....what a win. And we all thought it was software related.....hehe.

More confirmation/data would be nice.

Sockethead
06-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Totally diggin this answer. Thanks Rob. For $82.00.....what a win. And we all thought it was software related.....hehe.

More confirmation/data would be nice.

Yea, I'd like to Dyno it again and see if that huge dip at 4000 - 4500 RPM is gone. Both my butt and Kris' butt says it is...

Anyboby know of a dyno shop in Philly/South Jersey area?

Sockethead
06-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Great to hear, Rob! You may want to leave some feedback for Gary @ G.A.S. He's looking to build an all aluminum piece. No chance for vacuum leaks. Great work!

Sent from Branson, MO.
Just left feedback on the website :chuck

SoarinZHP
06-19-2012, 02:40 PM
This sounds really good! Glad it works and I can't wait to try it!

Hornung418
06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Just left feedback on the website :chuck

Solid. If you wanna come down to Agile Auto in Fallston, they have a dynapak that I used in winter '10. That's the only one I know of. $75 for three pulls.

Sent from Branson, MO.

Sockethead
06-20-2012, 02:49 AM
Solid. If you wanna come down to Agile Auto in Fallston, they have a dynapak that I used in winter '10. That's the only one I know of. $75 for three pulls.

Sent from Branson, MO.
Cool. I might take you up on that... we can get a snack while we're down there...:rofl

Hornung418
06-20-2012, 03:26 AM
You bet! I still need to dyno for my pulleys, EMP WP, VANOS and CAI.

Sent from Branson, MO.

Sockethead
06-20-2012, 03:34 AM
You bet! I still need to dyno for my pulleys, EMP WP, VANOS and CAI.

Sent from Branson, MO.
Ok let me talk to Kris... they open on Saturdays?

Hornung418
06-20-2012, 03:57 AM
Maybe. I'll give them a call when I get back in town :thumbsup

Sent from Branson, MO.

The-Traveler
07-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Just ordered, so we'll see. I paid for express shipping to Canada, so total cost was just over 100 dollars.

If this fixes my 4k dip, I've saved about 300 dollars, which is what I would have spent on top to get a new disa and the DME reprogrammed.

:applause

das boots
07-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Did my G.A.S. DISA refurbish over the 4th of July. Got the DISA from the E46 when I replaced it with an OE. The 'D' refurbish is wrapped up in plastic & heavy duty zip bag. Put it away and get it ready for the E39. The hardest part was trying to pull out the pin a few mm from the flapper so the dyke edge would be able to grab the pin head.

Marc
08-17-2012, 06:53 PM
Yea, I'd like to Dyno it again and see if that huge dip at 4000 - 4500 RPM is gone. Both my butt and Kris' butt says it is...

My kit is currently on the way, I'm very curious to see if I notice any difference around the 4k range as well. How many miles are on your car?

mr hish
08-18-2012, 03:06 AM
i am facing the same problem with mine . where can i order one from??

Marc
08-18-2012, 03:40 AM
i am facing the same problem with mine . where can i order one from??

http://germanautosolutions.com/DISA_Valve_Repair_Kit.html

Sockethead
08-20-2012, 07:02 AM
My kit is currently on the way, I'm very curious to see if I notice any difference around the 4k range as well. How many miles are on your car?
~120k. The problem had been there for a long time though...

BRGcoopahS
08-20-2012, 08:40 AM
this is awesome news. the zhp is experiencing similar problems that probably is the disa valve. A $75 fix? Thats totally NOT BMW maintenance cost.

WOLFN8TR
08-21-2012, 07:32 AM
Even if the G.A.S kit doesn't fix your issues it's good to know your DISA Valve won't come apart and get sucked into the engine.

Marc
08-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah, the whole not sucking plastic into my engine is what really sold me. I only have about 70k, but I do get a slight hiccup around 4k. My kit arrived the other day....the machine work does look really nice. Now I just need to find the time to install it.

ranger
08-21-2012, 05:35 PM
Ordered a kit

KevinC
08-21-2012, 09:43 PM
I went whole-hog and got the DISA Gold valve with badass gold metal flapper and the best seals preinstalled.. probably overkill, but this thing should NEVER give me any trouble...

http://www.kcphotodump.net/Cars/BMW-330Ci/i-bdfGPV9/0/X2/IMG3313-X2.jpg

Pip
08-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Too bad that'll be hidden once installed because it looks beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGcoopahS
08-31-2012, 08:00 AM
ordered the $75 kit. gonna install it when it comes.

WOLFN8TR
08-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Too bad that'll be hidden once installed because it looks beautiful.

I'm working on a little something for that. Should be about a week or so.

cparker
06-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Ok so... I have the nasty 4k power dip. I've been searching through the forums for an hour trying to get a clear understanding of how to fix it. I've read a lot of information stating that the Jersey DME update doesn't permanently fix it, but I'm seeing really good feedback about this repair. How many of you guys can confirm this is a 100% fix for the 4k flat spot?

Avetiso
06-12-2013, 10:05 PM
As far as I know, there is no 100% fix. People have claimed that the New Jersey DME fixed it. Other said vanos. Some people claimed just fixing the DISA fixed it. And for some, none of those fixed it.

cparker
06-12-2013, 10:13 PM
I've done my VANOS, I've checked the DISA for free movement, and I've got the latest DME software. I don't have the 2800RPM dip like before I rebuilt the VANOS, but the 4000RPM dip is alive and well. This rebuild kit would be the last resort, Jersey would be the only other option and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

derbo
06-12-2013, 10:41 PM
This has been on my to do list, along with a Vanos rebuild/replacement

ryankokesh
06-13-2013, 02:43 AM
Disa rebuild actually got rid of mine for about a week. It's back now, but not as bad. (I've also done vanos and a eurocharged tune).

danewilson77
06-13-2013, 03:14 AM
Ok so... I have the nasty 4k power dip. I've been searching through the forums for an hour trying to get a clear understanding of how to fix it. I've read a lot of information stating that the Jersey DME update doesn't permanently fix it, but I'm seeing really good feedback about this repair. How many of you guys can confirm this is a 100% fix for the 4k flat spot?

More info here as well.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?6885-Quiet-Moments.....with-Jim-Conforti-Addressal-of-the-4k-Power-Dip&highlight=quiet+moments

I am posting this for 3 reasons:

1. My dip is still prelevant at approximately 4k rpm.

2. I just got off the phone with Jim Conforti.

3. I wanted to share the info....with the Family.

He spoke with me for roughly an hour. It was an interesting discussion...that entailed training on DISA valve operations, adiabatic ignition, the 4k power dip, software tuning, Ferrari's, gasoline quality, NORAD and what his future holds.

With regard to the 4k power dip.....his impression is - As told by me (I need to remind you guys....that he only comes on the boards and says something....if he has run the numbers himself and has verified it to be true): I will never say it like he does, as he was feeding me knowledge from a fire hose. Basically there are two phenomina that contribute to the 4k Power dip:

1. Mechanical sticking / Operation of the DISA. This is normal operation.....as rpm's increase to a point (3750 rpm's) the DISA valve slams open. There is no slow progession through that "dipped" power range.

2. Knock sensor adaptations, regarding DISA. He has disabled the DISA in cars that he has supercharged. This did result in a bit of torque loss in that power range, but the car operated overall, smoother and more efficient with zero power dip. As far as he knows, tuning will not remove the dip. Tuning may reset the adaptaion values, so initially, the dip will not be there (or be less prevalent), but after fuel management system adapts to new limits, the dip will be back. I think this is the case for me. He additionally said altering the knock sensor adaptations on a street driven car was suicide.

As an aside.....we had an interesting gasoline discussion. He said that 91 octane from Sinclair (or any other gas station for that matter) and 91 octane from Chevron, with equal RM values, will not be the same gas. Mind blown.

So.....if you couple a tune (that alters the knocks sensors), with a tank of gas.....other than Chevron....melting a hole in your piston, could occur. Interesting statement here. For this sole reason, when he was performing dyno's, he instructed customers to only fill up at a Chevron, near the dyno shop (Then followed and interesting story about a kid not following these orders, which resulted in Jim chasing his tail for 5 hours on the dyno, and resulted in a full drain and purge of the cars fuel delivery system)

So....in a nutshell.....there is no, known fix.....in his opinion, for the dip. Remember...there's 2 issues here. One is mechanical. One is electrical.

As a favor to me (and the community), he will be asking his contacts at BMW, if they have addressed this issue with a fix yet.

When he replies to my email....I will post here, or he'll come on and update the thread with his thoughts and findings.

Jim...I apologize in advance for butchering what you told me on the phone. You were shifting gears pretty fast......between a myriad of topics, and I could not fully wrap my head around some of the concepts. At this point....I hope all is well with you, and I appreciate you taking my phone call.

~DW

ryankokesh
06-13-2013, 05:18 AM
So what I took away from that is that I need a supercharger...? :shifty

BimmerWill
06-13-2013, 07:16 AM
So what I took away from that is that I need a supercharger...? :shifty

Affirmative ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Johnmadd
10-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I just test drove today after rebuild yesterday and I have no hesitations and its smooth through all gears. I also seem to rev at slighty lower rpms at speed and looked as if my mpg gauge was also indicating slighty higher. Great product and very easy to diy... can't believe I waited to do this after having the kit for well over a year :facepalm

94jedi
11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Well, I definitely have this power dip so I guess this is next on the list.

Lanister
11-26-2013, 06:52 PM
So here's a question. The DISA rebuild kit replaces the poor quality mechanical parts. What about the membrane? In watching a number of videos that were "diagnosing" the health of a DISA valve, there was an accent made on its ability to retain the valve open by holding the negative pressure. In some instances, the membrane was leaking so the valve wouldn't stay open when it had to. So even if you rebuild it with mechanical parts, wouldn't membrane failure render it void? Especially since it appears to be something you cannot replace. Word?

Johnmadd
11-27-2013, 08:12 AM
So here's a question. The DISA rebuild kit replaces the poor quality mechanical parts. What about the membrane? In watching a number of videos that were "diagnosing" the health of a DISA valve, there was an accent made on its ability to retain the valve open by holding the negative pressure. In some instances, the membrane was leaking so the valve wouldn't stay open when it had to. So even if you rebuild it with mechanical parts, wouldn't membrane failure render it void? Especially since it appears to be something you cannot replace. Word?

Before the rebuid there is a test to see if the internals are still good, you twist the valve then put your finger over the hole and if the flap holds there with your finger over the hole its good.

Lanister
11-27-2013, 09:28 AM
I did that test. So basically what you're saying is that the membrane never fails?

Sent from outer space...

danewilson77
11-27-2013, 09:54 AM
I did that test. So basically what you're saying is that the membrane never fails?

Sent from outer space...

Most likely. Never is pretty strong word though. I've never heard of one failing.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

Lanister
11-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Good to know. Thanks :-)

Sent from outer space...

gmurphy
01-14-2014, 06:52 PM
Most likely. Never is pretty strong word though. I've never heard of one failing.

Sent from my S4 > Mason, OH

I know I just asked you but what mileage did you do the repair kit at for your DISA? I have 120,000 and am wondering if the kit is a good thing to get or the gold DISA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danewilson77
01-14-2014, 07:01 PM
I know I just asked you but what mileage did you do the repair kit at for your DISA? I have 120,000 and am wondering if the kit is a good thing to get or the gold DISA.

I bought a brand new DISA at 100k miles, then installed the rebuild kit at about 165k miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RyiEJuX4ZQ

gmurphy
01-14-2014, 07:05 PM
I bought a brand new DISA at 100k miles, then installed the rebuild kit at about 165k miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RyiEJuX4ZQ

Thank you! I might do the same. Get a new one for now then get around to the kit a little later on. Choices choices... Thank you Dane! Always appreciate the help!
-Garry

danewilson77
01-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Anytime Garry.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gmurphy
01-14-2014, 08:36 PM
Anytime Garry.

Also thank you for attaching that video! That really helps me understand how to do this install. Will probably take me 4 hours lol. I'm thinking new DISA then upgrade in the summer!

ELCID86
01-15-2014, 07:02 AM
Before the rebuid there is a test to see if the internals are still good, you twist the valve then put your finger over the hole and if the flap holds there with your finger over the hole its good.

Is the flap supposed to stay "closed" and not move at all? or is it ok if it moves slightly open when released (with finger sealing the hole)?

Johnmadd
01-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Is the flap supposed to stay "closed" and not move at all? or is it ok if it moves slightly open when released (with finger sealing the hole)?

Not quite sure but I suppose there could be slight play because your plugging a rubber diaphram, but I dont really remember if mine had any play. Maybe someone else here knows.

johnrando
01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm sure either the kit or GOLD w/b fine. I bought the Gold and installed at 60+K just because (mine was actually fine) and I have my old one.

Reckless
01-19-2014, 05:52 AM
I have been wondering this same thing and cannot find proof. As it stands my DISA was definitely toast @ 75K and I rebuilt with the GAS kit. Everything went smooth with the install and not until recently did I second guess the work I previously did. I hear a loud air sucking sound at the engine and it sounds like it is coming from the DISA or even under (CCV?) I removed the DISA about a week ago, and when I close the flap and hold the vacuum pot the flap moves about 40 degrees to a slightly open position. When I release it snaps open, so I know that functionality is working, but I am wondering if the 40degrees is natural or if it is supposed to be fully closed. Anyone know?

Brian

danewilson77
01-19-2014, 06:20 AM
I think 40° is too far. Can't remember exactly what test specs say.

kayger12
01-19-2014, 06:31 AM
From the G.A.S. installation instructions:

http://germanautosolutions.com/diy_tech/disa_repair_kit/diy_images/Vacuum%20Pot%20Test%202.JPG

ELCID86
01-19-2014, 06:38 AM
Whew, that makes me feel better. When Bruce and I had mine out a few weeks back it had about that much play and you guys were making me nervous. #relieved.

kayger12
01-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Yeah, I had the same concern when I was doing mine until I saw that photo-- if the pot is bad the valve will spring all the way open. If it stops anywhere less than fully open than the pot vacuum is holding.

I have yet to hear of anyone having a failed pot.

danewilson77
01-19-2014, 06:55 AM
Thanks for assist KG. Looks good to me Reckless.

Avetiso
01-19-2014, 12:07 PM
Replaced mine at 72k. Complete failure of the hex. Flap had a mind of its own.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

kayger12
01-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks for assist KG. Looks good to me Reckless.

Sure thing

Replaced mine at 72k. Complete failure of the hex. Flap had a mind of its own.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

So hit or miss. Did mine at about the same mileage and the thing looked brand new. Everything was tight as hell. Zero issues. Almost felt like I wasted my time doing it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk