PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do rear E brake shoes?

Whitexi
06-19-2012, 05:58 AM
I've found the D.I.Y on pelican but wanted to ask for actual advice from someone here who's done it.

My car has been making this rubbing sound still from the e brake, it comes and goes as I hit bumps. It stops the second I pull on the e brake and I hear a slight pop. So whatever it is gets pulled away but falls back onto the rotor hub I'm guessing. I decided to wait till I needed new brakes before I took anything apart so I just got new rear rotors, pads and brake shoes. I've never done e brake shoes so if anyone has, how'd it go for you?

Hornung418
06-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Is this a replacement, or an adjustment?

Sent from Branson, MO.

Ryans323i
06-19-2012, 06:40 AM
The ebrake pads are not hard to take off and put back on. I think there might be something else happening, and you may not need new pads.

1. There're two springs that pull the two pads together when ebrake is released. One might be broken and causing the pads to shift.
These are the springs I'm talking about.

2. I remember you said you had the same rotors as me, right? If not you may disregard this. The inside of my rotor wasn't perfectly round and part of my perfectly round ebrake pads rubbed at one section on the rotor. It was only really audible at very low speeds.

Whitexi
06-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Justin it's a full replacement then an adjustment.

Ryan I do have the same rotors for now, I bought OEM replacements tho with OEM pads and e brake shoes. I hope nothing's broken. The e brake doesn't work very well but the e brake shoes have never been changed.... Ever.

So I guess I will find out once I take them apart

Ryans323i
06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I think getting in there is your best bet. It is really easy to take them off and replace, and easy to adjust. (Although you may have to do this a couple times.) Don't be skeered! :)

Whitexi
06-20-2012, 02:50 AM
I just hope it doesn't suffer from the common broken e brake issue.

Thanks for the help peeps.

Whitexi
06-25-2012, 04:45 AM
I ordered a rear ebrake hardware kit just in case. I'll find out soon, my brakes should be here shortly but I then need to find time.

Ryans323i
06-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Keep us updated Ryan.

Whitexi
06-25-2012, 05:40 AM
Will do, i haven't done rear brakes since I bought the car 4 years ago and my gf wants to help with them so it will be a nice little project.

Whitexi
06-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Brakes changed and new ebrake shoes and hardware. Have to adjust them now though.

rdhamill
09-04-2013, 03:36 PM
did mine this weekend, nothing to it. The linings on the old shoes were completely gone, likely the rust on the shoes was the cause. With the rust polished off the drum, and the shoes set up, the E brakes works perfect.