PDA

View Full Version : Camera Recommendations and Reviews

HokieZHP
06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Hey guys,

So with all the detailing I'm doing now I'd really like to get a camera to shoot before and finished pictures with. I'd like to keep it around $200-$300 and don't mind getting a used/refurb camera. I just need something that will be able to capture small details but can also handle full pictures and low light or inside shots. This camera will also serve as my everyday camera.

I saw some newer small cameras with interchangeable lenses and "full size" point and shoot cameras. What do you all think of these? My brother Matt has a Canon S95. From my experience with it, it's a great little camera, it just is out of my price range.

Suggestions?

DasMechaniKer
06-21-2012, 03:09 PM
PM Sent

brettbimmer
06-21-2012, 03:24 PM
A question for C. Withers Media Group!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
06-21-2012, 04:57 PM
honestly for $300 you could snag a used Canon or Nikon DSLR off amazon (mafia affiliate ;) ).

Look into a Rebel XS Rebel XT or Nikon D40 with the kit lens (probably an 18-55mm)

Johnmadd
06-21-2012, 05:43 PM
PM Sent

Share the knowledge bro, I am in the market also. :)

Johnmadd
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Im thinking of taking a gold chain and some cash to the pawn shop for a dslr, what to look out for?

imola red zhp
06-21-2012, 10:49 PM
C Withers advice to me was to try all makes and see which fits best in yur hand and feel comfortable with. Cost is a factor too.
I ended up with a Canon T2i love it....

danewilson77
06-22-2012, 03:03 AM
C Withers advice to me was to try all makes and see which fits best in yur hand and feel comfortable with. Cost is a factor too.
I ended up with a Canon T2i love it....

What did you like about Canon over Nixon. Just curious.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

ryankokesh
06-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Don't get a micro 4/3rds. Ask me how I know.

imola red zhp
06-22-2012, 07:42 AM
What did you like about Canon over Nixon. Just curious.

DW, was actually set in the Nikon 5100, played with the Canon and to ME felt easier to handle, buttons in the right spot, adjustments ISO, f/stop dial, seemed easier to locate while shooting.....
I m left handed too so, dont know that makes a diff,
Total newbie to DSLR so hope thatmakes some sense....:)

sent from dennis' personal electronic device

Washburn
06-22-2012, 07:43 AM
check adorama for good deals on gently used, and inspected DSLR deals. Also great place for advice, etc.
I got my Nikon D40, a great begnniner's DSLR, off craigslist for $300 with the 18-55 kit lens.

danewilson77
06-22-2012, 09:26 AM
DW, was actually set in the Nikon 5100, played with the Canon and to ME felt easier to handle, buttons in the right spot, adjustments ISO, f/stop dial, seemed easier to locate while shooting.....
I m left handed too so, dont know that makes a diff,
Total newbie to DSLR so hope thatmakes some sense....:)

sent from dennis' personal electronic device

Thanks Dennis.

Jon D
06-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Don't get a micro 4/3rds. Ask me how I know.

Interesting.. I went that route and am happy with what I have. What didn't you like?

ryankokesh
06-22-2012, 02:31 PM
I do like the camera. It's an Olympus e-620. The only problem is its really hard to find used lenses, etc. You always see a lot for nikon and canon though. I also hate how they did the focus ring on the lenses it came with.

Jon D
06-22-2012, 02:42 PM
I do like the camera. It's an Olympus e-620. The only problem is its really hard to find used lenses, etc. You always see a lot for nikon and canon though. I also hate how they did the focus ring on the lenses it came with.

Ahh I understand , it's a Four Thirds mount not micro 4/3rds.

I love the Micro cause it's smaller and lighter than a standard sized format with changeable lens. Great for folks like me that don't want a full DSLR. I have a PEN PL2 body with a number of lenses.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

JupiterBMW
06-22-2012, 04:05 PM
My wife just told me "Oh, I wrote one down that a photographer I like uses.. Its the Canon 5D M3...."

Me, being ignorant, look it up and find the body only for $3500 on Amazon..... :jawdrop

Personally, I'm a fan of the Canon functionalities, but as for a DSLR, I'm new to that too. We'll probably go with something inexpensive and very beginner, as that is our ability level at this point. Would love to hear the recommendations to others as I've noticed there are a LOT of VERY experience photog's on this forum. :thumbsup

jsfbmw
06-22-2012, 04:54 PM
There are a large number of cameras on the market that could satisfy your needs as you have listed. If you have a leaning towards Canon, I'm guessing you would be quite happy with the PowerShot Elph 100HS, which is sub-$200. Why, you ask? To capture detailing work on a car and to post on a website or for 8x10 prints, it is not necessary to go for a "killer" camera. A 12 megapixel camera is more than sufficient.

A DSLR offers more flexibility, but, you've not described anything that would warrant that. Do you need "raw file" capability? Only if you plan to devote a lot of time to processing the results of your efforts, i.e., using Photoshop. And you've not indicated that you are looking to do that.

If you want to take a good picture and don't intend on spending much time processing the results, I suggest to keep it simple. You could go with a numerically higher Powershot to get more capability, like the 300HS or 320HS.

The analogy is someone saying I need an M3 but I will never track the car. A ZHP or even a 325iS could be more than satisfying. It's your money.

UdubBadger
06-22-2012, 08:04 PM
My wife just told me "Oh, I wrote one down that a photographer I like uses.. Its the Canon 5D M3...."

Me, being ignorant, look it up and find the body only for $3500 on Amazon..... :jawdrop

Personally, I'm a fan of the Canon functionalities, but as for a DSLR, I'm new to that too. We'll probably go with something inexpensive and very beginner, as that is our ability level at this point. Would love to hear the recommendations to others as I've noticed there are a LOT of VERY experience photog's on this forum. :thumbsup

again.... for $300 in a DSLR you'll need to look into a used Rebel XS Rebel XT or Nikon D40 with the kit lens to stay within that price range.

johnrando
06-22-2012, 09:22 PM
To me, some of the main advantages of DSLRs are the changeable lenses (thus the quality, focal length, etc are in your control, with flexibility in pricing), and the ability to control your shot (aperture, speed, etc). Then you add on the ability to shoot in RAW format which gives you maximum editing capability and the ability to connect lighting (flash, strobes, etc). If you don't need those, go with a non-DSLR. Much cheaper, easier to use, and yet still with some fairly good quality. Don't expect the same results as a full frame DSLR with high quality glass, but you don't need that to take winning shots or make art.

DasMechaniKer
06-23-2012, 03:52 AM
again.... for $300 in a DSLR you'll need to look into a used Rebel XS Rebel XT or Nikon D40 with the kit lens to stay within that price range.

I have one of these I'm going to be not needing soon. Shoot me a PM.

Marcus-SanDiego
06-23-2012, 01:04 PM
check adorama for good deals on gently used, and inspected DSLR deals. Also great place for advice, etc.
I got my Nikon D40, a great begnniner's DSLR, off craigslist for $300 with the 18-55 kit lens.

Good all. And remember that adorama is a zhpmafia.com affiliate too.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

Marcus-SanDiego
06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
I chose Nikon because my mentor used Nikon. It also felt comfortable in my hands, with a battery grip, so that cinched the deal.

Casey's advice really is solid. Mess around with several cameras and see which one you like best.

Sent from my ZHPMafia.com iPhone

JupiterBMW
08-16-2012, 07:00 AM

You guys are confusing me with HokieZHP, the OP... I just happened to mention that my wife and I are also looking into getting a DSLR. His original post mentioned the $300 price point...

But since you asked, :biggrin, our wants include a camera that we can learn and become more skilled with. We want the ability to change lenses and get different types of shots. I want something small for taking portraits/baby shots, and a telephoto for nature/outdoor stuff... I also want a wide angle or perhaps a mild fisheye for doing interior house photos for real estate listings...

I do not need RAW capability as we typically just dump the JPGs onto our Macs (iPhoto) and then use the auto 'enhance' button which does a decent job. Of course, as we learned more, we might invest in better software.

Basically, for me, I'd like to have the equipment to do a fair amount so as I learn I don't reach the limits of the camera. With a couple lenses, I'd like to be under $1000... We decided Canon based on our point n shoot being a Canon, so we are somewhat familiar with the icons/buttons/menus and such... I'd like to stick with them also because they are so mainstream, getting lenses and stuff will be easy.

The question I've been wondering is do I go with a T3i or step up to the 60D? Costco has a package on both right now. $829 for the T3i with two lenses and some goodies, and $1299 for the 60D with one lens...

So, those are my thoughts... Again, total newbie here. But, after the shots I captured of the ZHP last night, I realize I really want a nice camera... And our little girl is getting older every day. We want to capture these moments before they're gone... :wub

danewilson77
08-16-2012, 08:13 AM
You guys are confusing me with HokieZHP, the OP... I just happened to mention that my wife and I are also looking into getting a DSLR. His original post mentioned the $300 price point...

But since you asked, :biggrin, our wants include a camera that we can learn and become more skilled with. We want the ability to change lenses and get different types of shots. I want something small for taking portraits/baby shots, and a telephoto for nature/outdoor stuff... I also want a wide angle or perhaps a mild fisheye for doing interior house photos for real estate listings...

I do not need RAW capability as we typically just dump the JPGs onto our Macs (iPhoto) and then use the auto 'enhance' button which does a decent job. Of course, as we learned more, we might invest in better software.

Basically, for me, I'd like to have the equipment to do a fair amount so as I learn I don't reach the limits of the camera. With a couple lenses, I'd like to be under $1000... We decided Canon based on our point n shoot being a Canon, so we are somewhat familiar with the icons/buttons/menus and such... I'd like to stick with them also because they are so mainstream, getting lenses and stuff will be easy.

The question I've been wondering is do I go with a T3i or step up to the 60D? Costco has a package on both right now. $829 for the T3i with two lenses and some goodies, and $1299 for the 60D with one lens...

So, those are my thoughts... Again, total newbie here. But, after the shots I captured of the ZHP last night, I realize I really want a nice camera... And our little girl is getting older every day. We want to capture these moments before they're gone... :wub

Pickup up a Cannon and a Nikon and play with the features. Buy the one you like the most.

M3TA5IN
08-16-2012, 08:20 AM
I prefer Canon hands down, I also recommend canon for newer shooters.

I personally never liked Nikons. The functions are all funky to me but I've also always shot canon. So that could be why I'm bias.

Unfortunately I've long and sold most of my equipment and just have a T3i left now. Oh and good ole fashion Pentax SLR nobody wants lol.

JupiterBMW
08-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Yeah we have already agreed on a Canon. I have played with both DSLRs, and I prefer the Canon. For the wife, she'll have to learn from square one, and the fact that she can use her Canon point n shoot is a step in the right direction.

UdubBadger
08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Personally I don't like the rebels purely because they aren't weather sealed and feel flimsy. Don't be afraid to go preowned either, I get a lot of my gear 2nd hand. A 40/50D might be all you need right now and will allow you to buy more lenses sooner. I loved my 40D.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

M3TA5IN
08-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Don't be afraid to go preowned either, I get a lot of my gear 2nd hand. A 40/50D might be all you need right now and will allow you to buy more lenses sooner. I loved my 40D.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Good advise!

With that said though for the normal person I believe a rebel is a great starting point and plenty durable. I've dropped, rolled, smashed, rain, flipped and just about everything else you can think of to a rebel. (use to shot offroad racing in some pretty nasty conditions). They stood up great for what they are. Depending on where you buy you can get protection against this too. I've probably replaced 15 cameras due to vehicles rolling over on them. No questions asked, complete replacement.

I doubt you'll be that crazy though.

danewilson77
08-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Good advise!

With that said though for the normal person I believe a rebel is a great starting point and plenty durable. I've dropped, rolled, smashed, rain, flipped and just about everything else you can think of to a rebel. (use to shot offroad racing in some pretty nasty conditions). They stood up great for what they are. Depending on where you buy you can get protection against this too. I've probably replaced 15 cameras due to vehicles rolling over on them. No questions asked, complete replacement.

I doubt you'll be that crazy though.

Boy....you Cannon people.

johnrando
02-18-2014, 06:53 AM
Bump

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
02-18-2014, 07:51 AM
Stuck and changed name.

KevinC
02-18-2014, 05:47 PM
Was recently inspired to pick up a refurb Nikon 3100, by these 2 articles... VERY happy with my purchase. Picked up a Nikon 35mm 1.8 lens to go with it, per the first guy's advice.. very happy with the outcome...

http://prolost.com/1kphotos

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

UdubBadger
02-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Nice as long as you're happy that's all that matters. Remember while Rockwell normally has good facts/info it is still just one persons option on things. I don't take anything I read on there any more serious than the Amazon.com reviews

Goin' HAM mobile

KevinC
02-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Nice as long as you're happy that's all that matters. Remember while Rockwell normally has good facts/info it is still just one persons option on things. I don't take anything I read on there any more serious than the Amazon.com reviews

I hear you brother, but I think he's got more cred than some JAMF writing Amazon reviews (many of which are "plants" anyways). This setup is all I need, and the bang-for-the-buck was outstanding.

UdubBadger
02-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Ya no worries if it works for you it works. Just saying plenty of people have different impressions of the same gear.

Goin' HAM mobile