PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fixed a p2240 code on their ZHP?

DARXIDE
06-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Here's the story,

Got pulled over:rolleyes, found out my registration was overdue...Okay, I'll go take care of that. Today, visited DMV, but was told I needed to smog my car.
Okay, I'll go get it smogged.
Smog place says it passed with flying colors as far as the pollution, but then they say they can't pass it due to the fact they are picking up codes and the check engine light was on. The light has been on for 5 years. Sometimes it goes off for a while. Later it would light up again. SO, I go to the dealer and they want $120 to "diagnose".

So after tiring my eyes on the E46 site I haven't seen anything promising. Seems everyone is "shotgunning". I just wanna register my non-polluting car. IF I disconnect the battery overnight, might that clear the codes long enough? ha...just don't want to start replacing parts, but if it is something like an O2 sensor, I'd rather by the part and put it in. Would still be cheaper than a diagnosis, especially if it's followed by THEM shotgunning the problem.
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

GSEN820
06-23-2012, 01:39 AM
I would not replace anything just of yet. I know there were updates done to your DME and reflash was needed. Where are you located? I would check that may not be anything wrong with your car just needs some updating.

cakM3
06-23-2012, 02:18 AM
From my research, the P2240 code is associated with the 02sensor positive, current control circuit/open, and bank 2 sensor 1.

It means that intermittently there is a power supply problem to the 02 sensor concerned with cylinders 4 to 6 before the cat converter (right on top of the exhaust manifold on the right side of the engine, at the rear). Usually it is not a problem with the power supply but the 02 sensor itself, notably the heater circuit. But you still are obligated to check the wirings.

To do so, check the wirings/cables connected to the 02 sensor, up to the other end which connects to another connector on top of the engine). If everything is normal, then you need to replace the 02 sensor (I would replace the O2 sensor first - most likely problem).

Hope this helps :thumbsup

johnrando
06-23-2012, 05:51 AM
I've got a code reader you can borrow, so you can read then clear your codes.

DARXIDE
06-25-2012, 12:21 AM
I would not replace anything just of yet. I know there were updates done to your DME and reflash was needed. Where are you located? I would check that may not be anything wrong with your car just needs some updating.

GSEN, I have read that a lot of guys are reflashing. So what is the latest DME and is the only way to check it by taking it to the dealer?

Cheers,
Sean

DARXIDE
06-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the offer John! Just might take you up on that. So, I guess unplugging the battery will not clear anything huh? :) I was "informed" that if I did clear the codes, I'd have to drive it a while or something before they could resmog it?

I'll get into it tomorrow after work. I'll be crusin the 318 until I get this sorted out.

~Sean

DARXIDE
06-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Appreciate the specifics! I'll hit up AutohauzAZ and look for the 02 sensor if I don't see anything apparent. Thanks!

danewilson77
06-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Appreciate the specifics! I'll hit up AutohauzAZ and look for the 02 sensor if I don't see anything apparent. Thanks!

If they don't have it, I'm sure FCPGROTON has it.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

DARXIDE
06-25-2012, 01:52 AM
:cool Thanks!