PDA

View Full Version : The tales of a stablemate...

toddness
06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Not about a ZHP, but an e30 318is m42

A little background on this project thread can be found here :

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7206-Stablemate

toddness
06-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Now that you are all caught up (lol), on with the show.

We had no intention of just letting this car sit, though where to start was a bit up in the air. Sort of needed to get to know her first. Sarah, my wonderful lovely wife, wanted to get involved and learn more about cars, so I figured we'd start with something easy, like detailing. I had her do the requisite reading and I figured no better place to start than in the rear. Pretty simple area to work with, though not without challenges, especially for the first timer.

As you should have seen in the introduction, the car was pretty clean. Presented herself very well via the love of the previous owner.

On to the trunk. So while she was clean, she still offered plenty of work to be done. Sarah and I stripped and detailed the trunk, which took a good part of Saturday and Sunday.

Let's start with the before pictures i :

toddness
06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
And during .... note the bulbs for each of the license plate lights melted the spade connector cover.

toddness
06-25-2012, 09:52 PM
So now that we've spent a little time getting to know our new friend, she's getting driven a little. One of the reasons for getting this car was to give my 15yo daughter some time on a manual transmission. I had taken my daughter for a little cruise in her after we got her, so today was like nothing special, running errands basically, until she says something about her getting a wierd feeling about her mojo changing - like at that instance. Of course I have no idea what she means, and I try to coax it out of her. Then something pops in the engine bay and I see pieces on the highway in my rear view mirror and my dash indicators are all lit up. I am 3 miles from home and choose to keep flying down the freeway, though I have lost power steering (testing PS delete?).

That last off highway mile seemed like an eternity. I was a bit nervous that I may be taking chances with her getting hot, though we were moving along pretty well.

Finally I get into the driveway, pop the hood and confirm my suspicions about what had happened. The Alternator/water pump belt disintegrated, knocking off the PS belt.

As mentioned, another reason I bought the car was to get my wrench on again. Now I had a project.

I only have a pic of the knocked off PS belt and where the Alternator/water pump belt should be. Replaced the belts without Sarah, so no clean hands to take the pics of the job.

toddness
06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
So we had other things going on most of this weekend, though I did get a couple hours in the evening to give her a rinse. Started picking at the pinstripes and did a quick degrease/wash of the engine bay painted surfaces.

I didn't really have any time or energy, and my next weekend was booked with work, though I did think was a good opportunity to get to know her better and perhaps determine what our next real project was going to be.

The hood and engine bay are going to need some work. Cosmoline is everywhere - this may take awhile to rectify, depending on the priorities and available time and commitment.

Here's a few pix - Two things of note :

#1 - The alarm horn covered in heat resistant tape. I shoved a microfiber in there and duct taped this cover to muffle the awful noise until I can figure out exactly how it all works and what my options may be. I like the keyless entry - hate the noise. I'd like to be able to turn off the auto-locking of the doors - sux if the keys are still in the ignition, though I haven't had this happen the hard way yet.

#2 - The passenger fender VIN has been painted over. How did I miss this? hmmm....

toddness
06-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Now you didn't think I would take this long and just show you just us washing our car, right?

So as I mentioned, we bought this car for a few reasons, which brings us to our next reason: Give my wife, daughter and I a car for car control clinics and the like, potentially leading to track days. Didn't take long to realize how necessary this was.

The next morning, 6-4-2012, I took my daughter to school in the 318is and returned home. The weather was really weird for this time of year. Muggy is the best way to put it. I got home and encouraged Sarah to drive the 318is to work, which she did. Not more than 10 minutes later she is calling me. I think to myself, uh oh, she's been in an accident. How is it I sense these things....

The rain had hit about 2 minutes before she enters our onramp. Big grade, hard sweeping right and a fairly hairy merge. As she leaves the right she punches it and loses the backend, until it grabs and sends her into the guardrail, bounces off and the tail pops it too.

I get out to see her pretty quickly. She's shaken up, though she's okay. I tell her not to sweat it and that I have a great set of TV repair tools and I can fix it.

So now while wrenching and track time were on our list, body work wasn't really what I had planned. What am I getting into.

At some point I took her to my favorite body shop and got an estimate. $3K, minimum. Of course they are a top shop servicing high end cars, but I had the baseline I needed. Now do we want to make a claim? I am pretty sure at 3K the insurance company would tell me they are totalling the car.

My last thought here on this post. I popped the hood and looked at the damage and what's interesting is the fender with the painted VIN is showing some red from the accident. Well, doesn't really matter now anyway, does it, though I am now concerned about what else I may find.

Anyway, I'll leave you with some pics of the damage. This story is just beginning...

toddness
06-25-2012, 11:29 PM
At this point, It hasn't been 3 weeks we've owned the car. This isn't exactly what I expected, though hey, as I say, everything is an opportunity.

We aren't filing an insurance claim. I tell Sarah we are going to fix this ourselves for nothing and everything is wonderful, get your shop clothes on. This is what we bought this car for. Of course I know NOTHING about body work.

For the record, the accident is my fault. There was a tire I thought was somewhat sketchy and given the perfect conditions of that on-ramp, that car, the first rain in 40 days and her not really knowing the car, well, we are lucky it didn't end up worse, or better, as it turns out.

So putting the chat behind us, let's get to work. I need to know what the damage is. It's time to rip her apart.

The damage :
Fender - toast
Front valance - tweaked
Passenger Headlight - Lamp broken and assembly tweaked 'very little'
Bumper - Structure tweaked, cover TBD.
Hood - no damage! (Sarah realized this was sort of a big deal.
Headlight trim piece - broken, though usable.
Rear taillight - broken.
Read quarter panel - bent
Rear bumper cover trim broken, though functional
Foglight - Assembly broken but functional
Valence Air duct broken retainer (1 of 4) - functional
More?

Now the most important assessment, Structural damage - unknown, hopefully the bumper and bumper shocks took the hit, would have to be measured to be sure.

I decide I am not going to pay to get it looked at. I figure if I can get a straight bumper, fender and valance to align, the wheels don't shimmy and the brakes still work, I don't care.

As more of a joke than anything for my moral booster, my best friend and the guy I bought my first BMW from, I pounded the quarter panel out in the rear with a hockey puck and a hammer, put some orange electrical tape on the taillight, a strip of white electrical tape on the chipped paint on the quarter panel, removed the fender, valence and bumper cover sent him pics and told him I was going with it.

All I need really is a headlight, the fiberglass bumper, and a fender i think to myself. Oh, and paint. Right, me the body guy, and paint. I don't paint. We are going to fix this ourselves. hmm...

The pics below are the front end ripped apart and my redneck repair:

toddness
06-26-2012, 12:20 AM
So now I need panels. I tell my bud up north I am buying some fiberglass flared fenders and front valance/lip in flat white and going with it.

Part of me would do this if it were a track only car and the economics of the deal were right, but I don't think it would fly with my daughter to be SEEN at school in.

What is there to do, but search? Craigslist has TWO ads for AW driver fenders. 100.0 each. The forums have nothing. I see a fender about 60 miles away thats primered for 100.00, so I figure I can fix the fender for 100.00 plus paint. The valence has to be something similar to twice as much, now I need a bumper. New they are 400.00. Like the idea of new when it comes to bumpers, though not the price. I am supposed to be doing this for NOTHING.

It isn't long before the solution was right in front of me. Thank you Craigslist.

Oli77
06-26-2012, 03:36 AM
That's a good idea!

and a great read.

Good luck.

Hornung418
06-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Damn, this seems like a hodgepodge of fun and nightmares.

Great find on the parts car. Salvage the lights from it too! Much better output than the sealed beam halogens.

This is going to continue to be an awesome thread!

johnrando
06-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Great story so far. Good luck with it all.

bcleaver
06-26-2012, 07:06 PM
cool thread. what did the loaner car set you back if you don't mind sharing?

webster
06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
great read, looking forward to more!

toddness
07-03-2012, 11:27 AM
So the donor arrived ($750.00 and a free 70 mile tow thanks to AAA plus to answer bcleaver) and we didn't waste any time getting into it. The posts here come late because the documentation takes almost as much time as the work itself.

Looking back at the thread, contrary to what I posted before, we've purchased the 318is, blown the belts off it, wrecked it, and landed a donor in all of 13 days, not three weeks.

First order of business, a quick view of the donor. The hood is tweaked, of course the fender I need is not straight, the valence isn't perfect, but in better shape than what i have. The interior is gross, basically a giant ashtray. Anyway - here's a quick pic of the nose before the fun starts.

toddness
07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
So the first thing I want to do is get the 318is back on the road, or at least not the eyesore it is.

I must add that this kind of 'activity' is generally frowned upon by the community, though I don't mind breaking a few rules now and then, though one thing is for sure, my driveway can't look like a shop, especially if I am not in the driveway while it looks like a shop. Everything has to be squared away before each day is done.

I begin working on the nose and put Sarah in charge of the tail. Within a few hours and still on day 13 we get it roughed in before the daylight is gone. The pictures tell the story.

toddness
07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
So with the bits roughed in, it's now about lining it up and getting the 318is wrapped up, for now. We spent a few hours squaring it away before life's real activities, like my daughter's water polo tournament, require our attention.

I think our attention to taking photos has diminished, though she's basically done, for now.

toddness
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Now what the heck am I going to do with this donor.....

danewilson77
07-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Looks great.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Hornung418
07-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Build that M20B25 into a screamer and hold on to it for a swap ;)

And I highly recommend swapping the 318is sealed beam headlights in favor of the 325i ellipsoid headlights.

toddness
07-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Now what the heck am I going to do with this donor.....

So this was a loaded comment.

I have a plan for the donor, which has been completed, for the most part. Posting the details will take a little time.

Hornung - sorry for not responding the first time to your ellipsoid recommendation (2x) - I absolutely agree and intend to keep/swap for the ellipsoids, though one chassis is broken.... putting together pictures/posts, working on the car(s) and being one who has to be employed are my excuses for not responding.

Hornung418
07-03-2012, 03:03 PM
No worries, Todd. As long as you post your finished product, I will be happy. I trust your judgement. :thumbup

toddness
07-03-2012, 03:30 PM
^ My judgement is probably the biggest of my worries.

Hornung418
07-03-2012, 04:08 PM
LOL well we're here if your gut is sending you mixed signals :)

Johal E32
07-06-2012, 09:26 AM
nice!

I'm glad you were able to fix the "new" E30. It's such a gorgeous car!

Johnmadd
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
I'd strip every single part of the donor car that you have space for. Glad it didn't take long to find a donor and get it fixed, good job.

toddness
07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
OK, I need to put a wrap on this, at least this phase of the stablemate's journey.

Before the donor rolled away essentially as a chassis (w/suspension,steering,open-diff) Stripped the car and found someone who wanted the engine, another the tranny and one other wanted the chassis. Everything else, I either kept for me or to sell or it is getting trashed. It rolled away on 6/24. The pics below some good shots of the previous weekend efforts.

Most of this happened 2-3 weeks ago.

- Funny thing is I need that motor now. Don't know if I dare tell another e30 story here.

First - out comes the power train :

toddness
07-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Thought I got the order of those photos right....darn. Anyway, for those keeping score, with everything disconnected, the actual motor pull took 38 minutes once the straps were attached; the only casualty was the rear tranny mount. Had a great team.

A week later I finished grabbing most of what I wanted from the donor. I made a commitment to have it ready on a date and got what I thought I desired most given the time I have.

Anyway - here are some of the final pics Sarah took of the donor (she was responsible for alot of the camera work). The donor was good to me and will live on in many ways.

toddness
07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
To recap :

5/26 Bought 318is
5/28 Broken Belts
6/4 Wreck 318 is - 3K + estimate
6/10 Call on Ad for donr
6/11 Donor home and stripped of parts to repair 318is
6/13 318is complete (well okay - i do need to go realign the bumper and a couple other loose ends, but I'll be back).
6/23 Motor pull and sale
6/24 Donor bye bye

Wasn't exactly the first month I had in mind for her, though it turned out to be one heck of a good experience, and we know each other pretty well now. And I made some friends along the way...

toddness
07-06-2012, 05:36 PM
OK, well that puts a wrap on that chapter of these e30's lives. We'll see if the next chapter for the 318is is worthy of more posts.

Though I will leave you with this thought and photo.

We had so much fun with a car for less than 750.00, we decided to do it again.....330.00 towed home....

bcleaver
07-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Just churning through these things aren't ya? Can't wait to hear the story.

johnrando
07-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Cracking me up... another one? Awesome! Great work on the previous.

Beau B
07-09-2012, 05:53 PM
E30's are addicting, plus when you can get them so cheap.. I was up to 4 at one point.. but sold most of them when I lost my work shop space.. 1 turbo, an M50 nv swap, and an S50 swap.. for me the M50 nv was the the best $500 mod you could do.. Enjoy and I look forward to reading more about your E30's

Beau

Johal E32
09-13-2012, 07:36 PM
any updates?

toddness
10-24-2012, 05:30 AM
I have a laundry list of updates, though I have no time....lol - wonder why.

Nutshell version ; I bought 4 more e30's since late June, including the convertible pictured above. I dismantled three of them and I've been picking the better parts, and selling/bartering my way through the remaining bits. Pick and Pull Hauled away three hulks and I traded the fourth away in exchange for significant labor on three drivetrain pulls. I'll end up with a pretty fresh e30 convertible for some NorCal topless fun. The 318is gets a new dash and myriad other bits out of the deal too.

danewilson77
10-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Damn. That's a lot of work.

toddness
06-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Update:
So this update is going to meander through a few topics that all relate to completing my projects and maintenance, and the life events that effect and can control what I want to accomplish. For some reason I need to get this out, for me. Feel free to ignore my ramblings.

Project Update - Oct. 22 2012:
We have four BMW's. Probably way too many for one guy who is a self taught hack mechanic at best. The 2002 is really a garage queen that gets wiped down, fluids replaced and minimal maintenance required. It gets about 2500 miles a year of use. It does need some significant mechanical work, but I am putting this off until it actually breaks down. The ZHP has 60K miles on it and is my weekend cruiser. It needs fluids only at this point, though all the maintenance bits on this site it is likely in need of as well shortly. I love this car. The 318is got most of the attention of the BMW's I kept last summer, unfortunately it was mostly around body work due to the accident mentioned in this or another thread. It is intended to teach my daughter to drive a stick, treat a BMW well, and perhaps get to some auto-X. The convertible I kept is in the garage and will be my winter/summer project - it needs an engine and TLC. The other 3 e30's I dismantled over the summer are now gone other than the parts I want to keep. You may have seen my garden art post. I got the bug to start wrenching again many years after cancer surgery. I may become just a little over-zealous.

A combination of winter coming and the fact I was breaking the rules of my lease about car maintenance had me knowing I better shut this thing down, at least visibly to the public. I pick the weekend of Oct. 27 to get the last motor and bits out and last hulk removed from my driveway. I am now down to my four BMW's and they are out of site or parked properly. Funny thing is my landlord drove by as the last motor was coming out. He's a good guy and I explained to him what I did and he chuckled about it and let me be, knowing I would do him right. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than seek permission.

Life Update - October 29, 2012:
I get laid off from my job as a sales engineer. Reality is I wasn't selling anything and I was more of a cleanup boy on other projects that had incomplete tasks from other sales engineers projects. I do this well, and made happy clients, though it does not get reflected on the bottom line as revenue generating, so I need to go. While this is disappointing for a number of reasons including one of my best friends owns the company I am working for, I am okay with it. I knew this day was coming, it was fairly obvious on both sides of the desk it wasn't working out as either of us had envisioned. Always the opportunist, I knew this was now time to find a better gig. It took me all of three weeks to get hired doing what I love daily without the sales generating requirements. In it's simplest form I am a Windows systems admin, they call me an engineer, but I have no degree. I am back as a lead admin for a major player in the auto insurance industry. I am as happy as one can be working for someone else.

Recap through April 2013:
Loving my job. Car projects still on hold, but always on my mind. Holidays and birthdays are over. Taxes are due. No time for the mafia or other forums as I immerse myself in my new job. I originally got hired to augment another admin like myself who is just overwhelmed. Then about March 1 they tell me he is leaving for another position in the company. So now a job that was too much for one is now assigned only to the new guy, with the promise of trying to find another me. It took them a year to find me, this ought to go well. That's okay, if there is anything I am, I am always up for a challenge.

Then an email from recruiting gets sent to the company. The company is growing fast and they have some positions they really need to fill. As an incentive, they have doubled the referral bonus for the positions in the email. I briefly scan through them and realize one of the positions is describing my wife, perfectly. We talk about it, at first only joking about it, then it becomes reality. She got hired. She is excited to be moving on, but also some regret about leaving her current company and coworkers. Starts May 1.

May 1-3
My wife are commuting to work together for the first time in years. We met at work in 2000 and began dating in 2001, and commuted a lot together through 2008 when our company moved to Denver and we chose not to go. This is fun. San Francisco is such a great city to work in and we love sharing the food and activities. Working together allows us to get together during the day and immediately after work, rather than waiting until we are both burned out from a long day and commute. We don't work together in our roles, except on an occassional project so we don't really drive each other crazy. Life is great!

Week of May 6:
My wife's first full week on the job. I am sick. She's got to go in by herself. Not what we intended.

Seque - Why I am sick:
I am bent over an ottoman, writhing in pain. Feel like my stomach and intestines are tied up in knots. I've done this before. In fact I did this for almost 20 years. For anywhere from 1-3 days I'd be writhing in pain. It started when I was a Marine. I was a good, strong Marine; two meritorious promotions, always a perfect PFT, expert rifleman, significant responsibility for an enlisted man. I loved being a Marine and this pain put an end to that. The Navy docs couldn't figure it out and this meant to some of my superiors it was in my head. I got out of the Marines, not as I intended. Wish it were different, but it is too late for that now. Over the next 15 or so years this pain would hit me a couple times a month.I saw dr. after dr. and pretty much gave up hope. Had no trust in doctors or medicine at this point, but every year or so I'd make another attempt to resolve the issue. It sucked. I would let you take a sledge hammer to my arms if it meant I would never feel this pain again. Then in 2004, another attempt to find a cause and cure, and they find cancer instead. Cancer gets a first class ticket, meaning head of the line. I am on the fast track to have my esophogus removed, which I like to say aged me 45 years. Each year after, with rigorous workouts and 3x week playing ice hockey I would get five years younger. After about 2010 I was finally feeling my age (45) again, maybe just a little older. Anyway, even during my initial recovery, four days after the surgery, there I am bent over a chair in my recovery room - the pain is there again. The doc's think it's just related to the radical surgery, give me some drugs to knock me out and I wake up later the next day - never to see the pain again until.....May 6, above.

The pain actually started on Sunday about 4PM. I missed work on Monday and Tuesday, and of course my boss is out of town and thinks I am taking advantage of the situation. I am also on-call - which means I am responsible for operations after hours. Fortunately no calls came in. Tuesday evening finally rolls around and my wife gets home to find me still bent over the ottoman - 48 hours straight. I am fricking hurting. This sucks. She insists I go to ER, and I push back. I have done this for years I tell her, it will go away. She's having nothing to do with it and insists I go. I succumb, what's the worst that can happen, maybe they'll drug me up to knock me out and not feel the pain. Well, am I lucky she did what she did when she did. Turns out the pain I am experiencing is related to a tear in my diaphragm. My stomach and instestines and other organs have made there way through this hole into my left chest cavity, collapsing my left lung in the process. They tell me I need emergency surgery. Knowing my custom digestive tract from my esophajectomy is not an everyday occurrence, I push back adamently as I want don't want just anybody working on me. Man did that piss off the doctor, but they can't operate if I don't give them permission. After a day of efforts by the surgeons and my wife an acceptable plan was worked out. I would have surgery to move the organs out of the chest cavity to stabilize me, then transfer me to UCSF medical center to determine next steps. UCSF is where I wanted to be. They did my previous surgery and is a fantastic, world-class hospital. I am okay with this plan and we move forward. I have surgery on the 8th, transfer to UCSF on the 10th, go through a battery of tests to make sure no cancer has come back and other evaluations, and have a 2nd surgery scheduled for the 23rd. I got sent home for a week between surgeries on the 16th, I haven't eaten a meal other than liquids in what seems forever.

The surgery on May 23rd is pretty complex. 5 hours. Repair the diaphragm, fix organ layout, R&R my previous digestive surgery (tuneup) and an overall visual exploratory of my abdomen. I was cut from sternum to my belly button. Fun stuff. If anyone wants to see the staple job after, which looks like a zipper, it's kind of a cool pic, if you like that sort of thing...

Anyway, I am now on the way to recovering, finally eating softer foods, and hope to be back to work July 1.

So now that the body has been tuned up, it's now time to get back to these vehicles. With so many projects and one car on my stand, it is hard to prioritize. I can't lift anything, yet. I can hardly walk around the block. But my mind is going, and I have some time to plan my attack on what is again, probably too many projects for one lacky. I make occassional posts on here as I have time, generally somebody else posts something and I react by posting in response.

Today and the days around, I have the time. I have time to think and type. I really enjoy this site because of all you. If you've hung around this long, thanks for letting me share.

bullfrogs_M3
06-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Holy crap man!! That's a hell of a life/story! Wish you the best of luck in everything

Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

Oli77
06-14-2013, 10:08 AM
What an amazing journey! Hope for many years of pain free life now that you are all tuned up and your diaphragm is repaired.

Good luck with everything and enjoy your car rebuilds as soon as you can.

danewilson77
06-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Holy crap man!! That's a hell of a life/story! Wish you the best of luck in everything

Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

+1.

I can't believe it took those assholes 20 years to figure it out.

HTC DNA ON TT4 BETA, WILLIAMSBURG, VA

toddness
06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
+1.
I can't believe it took those assholes 20 years to figure it out.

There is a real irony in this comment. I want to agree with it so badly. Yet, after all I have been through I want to say this (and yes I am going to again ramble on):

Twice I have had significant surgeries at UCSF, the first lasting 10+ hours, this most recent again 5+ hours.I mentioned this is a world class organization, but what does that mean exactly.

For a long time, I hated doctors, every one of them. Understandably. Then I got the phone call about the cancer, and then all the activities that led up to my surgery. When you first get a cancer call today, you go hit the internet and try to determine what it is they just said. Of course I go and read that esophageal cancer in 2004 has a 98% mortality rate within two years. I am packing my bags for Maui - ready to live in the jungle and rot away in the rain forest.

Turns out I got lucky and have a great new respect for many doctors, nurses and those in the medical profession now. The doctor that found the cancer found it so early I had no chemo or radiation. It was hardly a pimple, yet still required radical surgery.

Then I meet the surgeon the first time. I am crying my eyes out as I think about this 2% survival chance and leaving my 9 year old daughter behind. Dr. Patti, the butcher as I endearingly call him, assures me of a long healthy life thereafter. My second meeting with the butcher, shortly in advance of my surgery has me now thinking about quality of life. What will I be able to do without an esophagus? So there I am again, no tears this time, just the butcher and his intern, and I ask, can I play hockey after this? Dr. Patti responds, well, let me ask a Canadian, and turns to the intern who is nodding his head yes. Not sure they understand me correctly I ask, will I be able to take a body check or other hit and not die on the ice. They both assure me I will be okay and it will be fine.

Turns out I played hockey on the 31st day after my surgery, then slept for three days as it was a little much, think I have a tendency to overdo things?, decided walking the golf course was probably a better recovery plan for now, but I was alive and able to do what I wanted.

I've just woken up in ICU after the surgery. My girlfriend at the time, who hung around and married me after all the hell I am putting her through, and my brother are there to witness my eyes opening. I flip my brother the bird and he recognizes I am okay. I am told the surgery went about 12 hours and everything looks great and I need to start sucking air from this device to get my lungs cleared out. From this point forward I am either under the care of a nurse, or being visited by my surgeon and 5-7 students every morning watching my progress. What was scheduled to be a 10-20 day stay in the hospital turns out to be 6 because I am in such great shape going in - lol, it's true.

This whole first experience gave me a great new respect for them all. My surgeon and staff was at my bedside every morning before 7. All of them fresh and ready to go, alert, on, engaged. The nurses were the same throughout their 12 hour shifts. I was really impressed and grateful to be under the care of such wonderful dedicated people.

This leaves me thinking, how many times have I shown up to work hungover or tired, or maybe just felt a little off and didnt want to give my all that day? This would not be tolerated here. You just cannot do both. Tough lesson I had to re-learn at 40, though again, I am grateful. The 5 year recovery of the cancer surgery limited my ability to do a lot of things, and I likely lost track of how much this meant to me as the memory faded of the events.

My second experience last month has only reinforced this feeling, if not moreso. In the 8.5 years that passed since my first encounter, they are even better, more dedicated, more involved. They are now an inspiration for me to achieve whatever I can while giving as much as I can to my work and what I do. It's too late for me to join them, but that doesn't mean I cannot take away all those great habits they have and contribute in other ways.

So - assholes? Well, some could be put in this bucket for sure, but I blame nobody. I am not one to have faith in a higher being, though I have faith in these dedicated people. They are the one's I had to believe in. Another thought is : While I would not have turned away from the opportunity to been in Kuwait, Mogadishu or Iraq over the 12 years following my getting out of the Marines, I often wonder if it did not save me.

I live my life without regret, I have some remorse for a few actions, sure, but I am living for today and planning for tomorrow.

Finally, I have to end this ramble with the utmost gratitude and appreciation for my wonderful wife. She's the most amazing women I have ever met and has done so much more for me than I will ever be able to repay. I often tell people that while I went through the surgeries and recoveries, it is much easier to be the patient than the supporter. She went through hell, I just was there for the ride.

johnrando
06-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Wow, way to hang in there (and your wife). Hopefully things will continue to get better.

Hornung418
06-14-2013, 04:09 PM
You write really well. Those two retellings are very uplifing. Glad to have you with us!

From a GS3, this was sent.

Johal E32
01-17-2015, 07:05 PM
Great meeting you today, Todd. The E30 will be in good hands with Drew ;)

toddness
01-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Small world, eh? The pleasure is all mine Jordan!

Hopefully we'll see you around the shop. Get a few more of us and we could consider buying a lift together.

derbo
01-17-2015, 08:21 PM
Did I hear a Lift?

Johal E32
01-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Small world, eh? The pleasure is all mine Jordan!

Hopefully we'll see you around the shop. Get a few more of us and we could consider buying a lift together.

Of course, we definitely need to get together and wrench sometime.

I need to get my poor M3 back on its feet! I'm itching to drive that car again..

I am all for a lift! Would make life so much easier..

toddness
01-17-2015, 08:42 PM
I've been putting my cars in a shared space about 10 miles from Sonoma Raceway, no lift., yet lol. Jordan's friend just moved in.

toddness
01-17-2015, 08:43 PM
I'll probably be there most Saturday until March ....feel free to come down.

Hornung418
01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Wow...good news you two! I just started renting space with a lift. We move in this Thursday!