PDA

View Full Version : [MD] Anyone willing to help me recharge my AC?

terraphantm
06-29-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm down here in Maryland for a couple months doing an internship at NIH, and today I noticed that my AC isn't working as well as it should be (passenger side a bit warmer than driver, and it in general is taking ages to cool down). I would just recharge it myself... but last time I overfilled it, it worked even worse, and I had to take it to the dealer to have it fixed. Thankfully they didn't charge me (I guess they recovered enough R134A to make it worth their while?), but I can't bank on that happening again since I haven't built a relationship w/ anyone at the local dealers.

So for anyone who's done it before or has experience with ACs in general, are you willing to help me? I'd drive down to you of course. I am fairly busy most weekdays from 9-6, but I can figure something out. I don't personally have the gauges with me FWIW.

Thanks in advance!

Hornung418
06-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Where are you staying? I have no idea how to recharge R134a...but if you want to fiddle with my car you are more than welcome to.

Sent from the past from my future self.

terraphantm
06-30-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm near Bethesda, so I'm a bit of a ways off from you (assuming you're in belair like your profile says)

Or does anyone here know what the pressures on the high low side are supposed to be during days with these temperatures (90-100)? Better yet, anyone have a table?

terraphantm
06-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Well I decided to try myself. Got a can of DuPont r134a (no additives whatsoever), and a high/low pressure gauge. According to the chart, I'm supposed to fill to 50-55 on the low side and 275-300 on the high side for the ambient temperature (95°).

Well when I was filling it, the low wouldn't budge from 35PSI. I stopped when the high got a little past 275. AC seems to be blowing much cooler air now. I just hope I didn't overfill it. The high was at something like 225 before filling iirc.

az3579
06-30-2012, 02:39 PM
^^ Valuable experience right there! So the low side is still 35?

terraphantm
06-30-2012, 06:12 PM
^^ Valuable experience right there! So the low side is still 35?

If anything, it dropped a couple PSI. No significant change at all. The high side was steadily rising as I filled it. I did let it sit with the AC running for a while to see if the low side would rise, but it didn't. Of course it became a lot higher after turning the AC off (so the gauge does work).

Driving around, the car seems to be able to cool down a lot easier, and I actually get a little uncomfortable if I leave the vents blowing at my face due to how cold the air is. I have not noticed any funny noises. I feel like the condenser fan may be running a little more than it used to... But it was a pretty hot day, so that may be expected.

WOLFN8TR
06-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Put a load on it while charging the system, keep the rpm' around 2,000.

terraphantm
06-30-2012, 06:30 PM
^ kinda difficult to do without an extra set of hands

Newjack
06-30-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm 5 minutes at most from Bethesda. Let me know, my info is in the member contact thread.

Revo + TT

nike001
06-30-2012, 07:16 PM
I should probably do this as well.. my car takes ages to cool down.

I just have a million other things on my plate :(