PDA

View Full Version : Beware ECS tuning Magnetic oil drain bolt

ScottZHP
06-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Just wanted to say I had a magnetic drain bolt on my ZHP until it twisted in half while putting it back on after oil change. Wasn't even close to 18ft/lbs when it snapped.
Lucky for me I was able to twist it out slowly and replace with the OEM plug.
Guess thats why the OEM is hollow so you can easily back it out with removal tool if it breaks.
This is the second time I have used something from ECS that turned out to be poor quality. Just a heads up. Beware.

danewilson77
06-30-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for looking out broseph.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

ScottZHP
06-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah it was pretty hairy for a few until I actually was able to start backing it out using a pick and a whole lot of patience.

danewilson77
06-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Yeah it was pretty hairy for a few until I actually was able to start backing it out using a pick and a whole lot of patience.

Dayum.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

328ioc
06-30-2012, 10:31 PM
I have never had good luck with ECS just saying....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
07-01-2012, 02:58 AM
I was considering using this but not now. I'll stay with OE for my oil drain plug. As for having luck dealing with ECS, it's been the opposite for me. I have gotten a few items from them and have had excellent results (BMW Performance BBK and ///M deadpedal for sedans).

danewilson77
07-01-2012, 06:38 AM
I have never had an issue with ECS...but make sure they are notified.

az3579
07-01-2012, 06:48 AM
As for having luck dealing with ECS, it's been the opposite for me. I have gotten a few items from them and have had excellent results (BMW Performance BBK and ///M deadpedal for sedans).

Those are OEM BMW parts though...

cakM3
07-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Those are OEM BMW parts though...

Brilliant BP :thumbsup But still purchased from ECS Tuning....

328ioc
07-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Yeah my issues have always been with shipping. The worst was once I had waited two weeks and still hadn't gotten any kind of shipping conformation so I called them and they said "oh that's on back order its going to be another 2 or 3 weeks." I was like thanks for telling me. So I cancelled the order and got my parts from pelican.

I have had this happen 3 times but that was by far the worst.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WOLFN8TR
07-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Haven't had any issues with the quality of parts but they sent me the wrong items several times. My LaminX tinted film I ordered came clear but labeled tinted. Took one month to get the correct film. Not a big deal but frustrating.

Bayerische-Motoren-Werke

danewilson77
07-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Scott, I contacted ECSTuning. This was there reply to me....

"Thanks Dane, I just read the thread. We're not active on ZHPM, aka a huge pita for situations like this. If Scott will get ahold of my customer service guys I'll make sure he's taken care of. The plug should not have snapped like that.

James"

EDIT: Keep me/us in the loop on this. Additionally, I am moving this to the "REVIEWS" subforum.

johnrando
07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Never had any issues with several ECS orders.

danewilson77
07-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Never had any issues with several ECS orders.

+1

I've spent probably >$5k there....on various parts

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/1-25.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/2-6.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/3-2.jpg

terraphantm
07-02-2012, 11:06 AM
I think it's important to remember that pretty much no vendor manufactures its own parts. As with most other stores, most of their parts will be the kind of things you'd find on Alibaba with their store brand slapped on. So I wouldn't expect the same quality that you'd see from many of the German made products you can buy for our cars.

quikryptonite
04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Hey guys, I just got a response from Chris over at ECS about this. It definitely is a nice gesture for them to offer a new plug or store credit. Has anyone tried running one of their new plugs?

Chris
3:35 PM (51 minutes ago)

Thanks for writing. We actually have re-designed plugs that we could send you one of. If you do not wish to run another I would be glad to issue a store credit. Please let me know. Thanks!

On 4/15/2014 3:47 PM, Quik wrote:

Hi,
I've been a longtime customer of ECS Tuning and your website is always one of the first ones I browse when price checking for different parts or maintenance items I need.

I bought the ECS Magnetic Oil Drain Plug ( http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Search/SiteSearch/Magnetic_Plug/ES251839/ ) about a year ago. The plug worked great at capturing miniscule metallic components in the oil system. I was pleased to see that it was working well.

This past weekend I was performing the third oil-change with that drain plug on my car. After draining the oil, I was putting the plug back in the oil pan. I started to torque the plug at 18 lb/ft and the head sheared off.

I understand the hollow design is used to prevent the threads in the oil pan itself from stripping, which is a very good thing. But, I was disappointed that I was using the torque value specified in the Bentley manual and the plug still failed.

If I'm honest, I was quite concerned, but then was able to get the remaining part of the magnetic plug out by using a screwdriver. I had to make a trip to the local BMW dealer which was 80 miles round trip. So, not a catastrophe, but a definite inconvenience.

I looked online and this seems to be somewhat of a frequent problem with this specific product:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ecs+magnetic+drain+plug+shear&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

I was just writing to inquire if any research and development is being employed to improve the design and/or construction of this product.

I want you to know that you haven't lost a customer. I plan on continuing to be a patron of your business. However, I won't be buying another one of your magnetic plugs in the near future.

Thank you for your time,
quik

johnrando
04-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Very nice email from you and great response from them. any idea when the new design came on the market? I'm wondering if I have the old or the new?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

LivesNearCostco
04-15-2014, 06:13 PM
I had a failed OEM drain plug. AFAIK, a Jiffy Lube over-tightened it and cracked it so it broke when I went to remove it later. It's also possible the drain plug was old, possibly the original. I backed out the remnants with either a pick or screwdriver and I think I put in a generic FLAPS plug. Now I have a UUC Motorwerks magnetic drain plug, and I tighten it ever so carefully...

danewilson77
04-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Very nice email from you and great response from them. any idea when the new design came on the market? I'm wondering if I have the old or the new?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

I think that was an ok response.

A great response would have included a new upgraded plug free of charge, AND a deep discount on a future purchase, as the customer isn't being compensated for time, stress, inconvenience, gas, etc...

I think we just get used to crappy customer service, and when someone gives us average customer service, we think it's great.

Imho.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

328ioc
04-15-2014, 06:53 PM

A great response would have included a new upgraded plug free of charge, AND a deep discount on a future purchase, as the customer isn't being compensated for time, stress, inconvenience, gas, etc...

I think we just get used to crappy customer service, and when someone gives us average customer service, we think it's great.

Imho.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

This..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

STREETFIGHTER50
04-15-2014, 07:37 PM
+1

I've spent probably >$5k there....on various parts

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/1-25.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/2-6.jpg
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/3-2.jpg

Geeeez Dane! U could almost buy another ZHP with all the $$$$ u spend at ECS!

Avetiso
04-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Imho.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

+2

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

quikryptonite
04-16-2014, 08:38 AM

Imho.

Samsung Galaxy S5...

This is true.

johnrando
04-16-2014, 04:10 PM
They did say they'd send him one for free or if he didn't want one, a store credit. That's what you'd want in this case. Agree that future discount would rock even more.

On a side note: I've send emails to many of my favorite places the past month due to poor execution/taste/whatever, and everyone of them responded with equal or greater value discount/freebies - a local pizza place, PF Changs, another local restaurant, a favorite restaurant in TX (twice!) and even Disneyland. They were all legit, but just happened to have happened w/in the same month.

nmac9
09-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Not to exhume an old thread here, but I also had issues with the ECS drain plug. Mine sheared off well before 18 ft-lb of torque; right at the end of the magnet inside the plug. Also, the head of it was well over 17mm.

Luckily, I was able to dig it out, get a friend to take me to a machine shop I work at, get an M12x1.5 bolt (stainless this time!), take the head down to 17mm, then get back to my car and finish up the oil change before it got too dark. As if changing your oil in a college apartment parking lot wasn't enough of an adventure, the ECS plug surely added to the night. Sorry about the blurry photo of the replacement, his lifted Cherokee isn't the smoothest ride.

Avetiso
09-21-2014, 11:13 AM
What crap. :(

squashman702
02-24-2015, 06:34 PM
I bought one of these before my last oil change- went to use it and it threaded in hard almost instantly. Went back to the OEM plug.

onaquest
03-03-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm glad this was posted. I've had this item on my list for a while.

Thank you for sharing.