PDA

View Full Version : ECSTuning GeoMat Front Cross Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors - Pair (325x25)

danewilson77
07-01-2012, 09:48 AM
Anyone running these? Reviews?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Braking/Rotors/ES2190196/Video202-SD/

Johal E32
07-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Dane, imo get the blank rotors with some nice pads.

I've heard drilled rotors can even crack under hard braking at the track and auto-xing.

zhp43867
07-01-2012, 10:59 AM
On bf.c someone said they called ECS and ECS told them the rotors are bought as blanks, drilled, slotted, and coated. I'd skip them. Consider the Geomet blanks if that coating interests you. Another option would be Centric's cryogenically treated rotors.

derbo
07-01-2012, 12:17 PM
If that's true I wouldn't want those. Blanks is the best! :)

brettbimmer
07-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Dane, imo get the blank rotors with some nice pads.

I've heard drilled rotors can even crack under hard braking at the track and auto-xing.

X2 DW! Blanks with superb pads, IMHO.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

danewilson77
07-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. I measured rotor yesterday. Looks like I have >1mm front, and >2mm rear...so it looks like I'll most likely table this until October. More than likely, TBH, I will most likely go with cross drilled rotors. Thinking about EBC's w/ either Z rated pads or PBR ultimates.

Thanks again.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Johal E32
07-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks to all for the replies. I measured rotor yesterday. Looks like I have >1mm front, and >2mm rear...so it looks like I'll most likely table this until October. More than likely, TBH, I will most likely go with cross drilled rotors. Thinking about EBC's w/ either Z rated pads or PBR ultimates.

Thanks again.

cool.

If you drive the car gently you will be fine until October

My uncle bought a 2002 M3 6spd brand new with 100 miles. When he sold it had 60k miles and was still on the original brake rotos and pads.

danewilson77
07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
cool.

My uncle bought a 2002 M3 6spd brand new with 100 miles. When he sold it had 60k miles and was still on the original brake rotos and pads.

Yeah...thanks for the confirmation. I do a lot of highway....So I think I'll be good.

M0nk3y
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
cool.

How that even possible?

PO replaced the pads and rotors at 20k miles. I won't be surprised if I have to replace rotors next year.

As others said, cross drilled will wear more quickly. Even OEM.

danewilson77
07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
It's possible. I literally drive the car < 5k street miles per year, with 25k miles or so highway. Say oem rotor might last 60k to 100k miles depending on driving...and that's average balanced driving. I think I can get 70k miles outta these. I'll keep checking thickness vs. spec and report back with a mileage attained at min spec data point. These are BMW performance floating rotor while we're talking about stuff.

EDIT: Looks like I put these on at 120k miles, so after 40k miles on these rotor, I have some room left. I'm guessing i'll be at the min spec on the fronts in 3 to 4 months.

Johal E32
07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
How that even possible?

PO replaced the pads and rotors at 20k miles. I won't be surprised if I have to replace rotors next year.

As others said, cross drilled will wear more quickly. Even OEM.

Honestly I don't know..

I know he had that car as a full time DD, but he drove it gently and used "engine braking" a lot. I always put my car in neutral and use the brakes to stop.

I guess, he would slowly coast to stop using the gears? He did tell me that BMW told him his brakes looked to be in great condition. Not for the mileage, but they actually had a lot of meat left.

As I recall, his commute is mostly freeway. But he did use the car for around the town chores as well.

BCS_ZHP
07-03-2012, 03:20 AM
Dane,
Consider asking Ray for a quote. On my M Sport, yesterday I installed StopTech pads & rotors (S&D), new SS lines, fluid, & sensors. Ray beat everyone's price by almost a C note, plus his price included shipping. Also have had the StopTech S&D rotors with ceramic pads on the Conv for about a year now with 20K plus miles and everything still looks like new. That one is all around town miles, the house boss does lots of stop & go driving.
Bruce

GMATT
07-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Dane,
Consider asking Ray for a quote. On my M Sport, yesterday I installed StopTech pads & rotors (S&D), new SS lines, fluid, & sensors. Ray beat everyone's price by almost a C note, plus his price included shipping. Also have had the StopTech S&D rotors with ceramic pads on the Conv for about a year now with 20K plus miles and everything still looks like new. That one is all around town miles, the house boss does lots of stop & go driving.
Bruce

Bruce did this solve the "shudder"? (sorry for thread hijack)

Gary

danewilson77
07-03-2012, 04:42 AM
Dane,
Bruce

Oh I definetely will. I will never go with the StopTech pads again though.

Smilez
07-03-2012, 05:20 AM
never tried those. I've never cracked a rotor (i have drilled slotted rotors going on 5 years). So through my experience unless you are constantly going to the track/auto-x its not likely you will crack a rotor.

derbo
07-04-2012, 11:44 AM
never tried those. I've never cracked a rotor (i have drilled slotted rotors going on 5 years). So through my experience unless you are constantly going to the track/auto-x its not likely you will crack a rotor.

My BMW performance rotors have hairline cracks in near the drilled holes. It is expected from a cross drilled rotor. I do track the car a lot though. It's been on my car since October lol.

blanks are the best IMHO. If you are looking for better cooling, invest in brake ducts. I have numerous track buddies that use Brembo blanks and trackpads.

I do admit cross drilled/slotted does look nice though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD