PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question/opinion

Nomar06
07-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Looking to replace the suspension on the ZHP and was hoping to get some opinions from you guys/gals out there with the experience on our cars.

Recently I have been eyeballing the Koni SRTs shocks/struts with some kind of lowering springs or H&R Sport Cup kit. Both range close to each other on price and lowering amount.

I would appreciate it if I could get some thoughts regarding these two set-ups or maybe throw some ideas on other "kits" that might be available.

Also, what parts would I need to refresh the front and/or the rear susp.....the pirate ship noise in the front is killing me!

danewilson77
07-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Refresh front = Control Arm Bushings (CABs), and Front Strut Mounts (FSM's). You could also do Control Arms (CA's), end links, and tie rods.

Refresh rear = Rear Shock Mounts (RSM's). You could also do Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTAB's) as well.

Extra = tranny and engine mounts.

I can't speak to the two setups you are looking at, but some fellas here have them and will offer advice.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

johnrando
07-03-2012, 09:19 AM
What Dane said. I did research and H&R seemed to be the best bang for the buck, so I went for the Touring Cup Kit, not the sport. I've also heard that Eibach is a good spring to use, as well as Bilsteins (but I've also read that Biltstein has had some quality issues and they've had to replace several rears (but it's a lifetime warranty so it's free, you're just out the labor).

knosker
07-05-2012, 05:16 AM
I would recommend the Koni FSD Pro Kit with Eibach Springs. I made a thread about them explaining why I chose them over coilovers

UdubBadger
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
What Dane said. I did research and H&R seemed to be the best bang for the buck, so I went for the Touring Cup Kit, not the sport. I've also heard that Eibach is a good spring to use, as well as Bilsteins (but I've also read that Biltstein has had some quality issues and they've had to replace several rears (but it's a lifetime warranty so it's free, you're just out the labor).

I'll add to this good info.

1. H&R springs ride harder than eibachs counterparts.
2. Cup kit is like non adjustable coilovers so the spring rates and such are paired which makes them highly effective.
3. If you live in a place that gets rain/snow make sure you consider of they rust easily or not (h&r low end coils are notorious for this).

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

ryankokesh
07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Good advice, Seth! If I wanted a little moar lower down the road, what would you suggest, koni? (considering Chicago winters...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
07-05-2012, 06:24 PM
I gotta say the Eibachs are the choice for springs (and Koni struts if you want to upgrade the struts). The Bilstein PSS10's for coils, though my KW's don't seem too bad either. However for the price Bilstein just seems like the better buy.

Nomar06
07-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the info....

Rain/snow is not a huge issue and adjustability isn't either. On the Civic Si I used to have I threw on the Tein SS coilovers which had height and dampening adjusments but I never adjusted them. Just left them close to the hardest setting.

Kinda leaning more towards the Koni SRT paired with Eibach springs.

HokieZHP
07-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Bilstein pss coils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nike001
07-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm sure people know I have the H&R Sport Cup Kit... and I like it. It's said that the koni/eibach set-up rides closer to OEM but looks as the H&R does, but the H&R rides stiffer.

I wouldn't even classify my set-up as stiff, just a little bit harsher than OEM. Maybe as the same level as the M3?

UdubBadger
07-12-2012, 03:45 PM
Cup kit is best bang for your buck if you want the great paired feeling of coils but don't want adjustability.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Nomar06
08-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Ended up getting the Koni SRT.T and Eibach sportline springs, got a really great price. Ended up buying pretty much all new stuff for a nice susp refresh.

Still waiting on 1 more shipment to come in and just remembered I need to buy the front strut reinforcement plates.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy114/Nomar006/CIMG3795.jpg

UdubBadger
08-16-2012, 07:27 PM
nice

JG330i
08-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Bueno!