PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some thump

nike001
07-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I've been having this itch to add some bass lately to my vehicle. My last car, which I had from age 16-18 had two 12inch Pioneers and later I 'upgraded' to two Kickers. Despite being in my trunk, those things were loud as all hell.

I'm surely not trying to go that route again, as I'd like to think I've grown up a bit from overpowering bass and waking the neighborhood as well as the dead. I'm looking for a single 10" & a suitable amp to get me going.

I'll note that a lot of people hated the e39 5 series stereos. They were pretty good and clear, but had ZERO bass. When I got my subwoofers installed and had them at a mild setting, I'd be able to turn the bass down in the stock system and the system was perfect due to it only having to handle the highs. I'm thinking that doing this in the ZHP will also yield the same results.

My plan is to stick the 10" sub in the middle of my two rear seats via the ski-pass (which I'd have to knock out). I'm not necessarily against the sub just being in the trunk after seeing Udub's pic of this:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=427231&d=1322702545

I think that looks clean, but having the material 'just off' of OEM, I think I'd rather just have it different completely. I'd rather have no match at all, than a failed attempt of matching.

Now my options. I've dealt with sonixelectronix before and I have no complaints, so I'll be going back there for this.

Option 1:
One 10" Rockford subwoofer (250RMS) + Kenwood amp (300RMS)
$190ish, but only sub + amp; no wires
-Links:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33743_Rockford-Fosgate-R2D4-10.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11796_Kenwood-KAC-8104D.html

Option 2:
Rockford subwoofer & Kenwood amp bundle w/ appropriate wires (150RMS)
$155 for everything
-Link:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38382_300W-Rockford-Fosgate-Kenwood-Bass-Bundle.html?from=22

Now, would I be good with only the 150RMS of option #2? I'm thinking I would be.. but what would happen if I decided against putting the speaker almost IN my cabin, and locating it in the trunk? I feel like I'd barely hear it. Also, any cool/hidden places to hide an amp? Assuming I wouldn't be able to use the stock amp.

The main thing I'm going for here is cleanliness all while maintaining as much trunk space as I can. I rarely use my trunk, but I'd like to know I can use ~99% of it when needed.

Sorry for the novel, but I'm as indecisive about things like this as they get.

Crestwood1001
07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I can attest to your old subs being loud as hell haha, looking under the trunk floor.... If you got crafty you could probably figure out a way to fit an amp under there...

UdubBadger
07-04-2012, 08:00 PM
All I can say buddy is run a lot of power to the subs, they sealed off this trunk really well and my 200w bass link is barely audible at 70mph cruising.

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Crestwood1001
07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Ski pass sounds like the way to go

nike001
07-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Quite the helpful crowd over here, eh?

Crestwood1001
07-05-2012, 06:14 PM
haha, I would def do the sub pass, its almost a waste to have to spend the extra $ for more power just to crank it up so you can get the sound you want out of the sealed truck, what are your pro's/con's to the ski pass?

MiniD
07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
My brother had 2 12" JL subs in his 996 with a custom box. Looked OEM. Kicked super hard. That's all I know haha. Good luck Dalton.

UdubBadger
07-05-2012, 09:48 PM
haha, I would def do the sub pass, its almost a waste to have to spend the extra $ for more power just to crank it up so you can get the sound you want out of the sealed truck, what are your pro's/con's to the ski pass?

I kinda agree. Or do the bsw sub kit

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Crestwood1001
07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
The bsw stuff is great and all, but 500$ to 600$ is a lot of money for the convenience of it being a kit for the e46. Mind you I'd love to have their ashtray iPhone mount, and would prob pay the premium for it

BimmerWill
07-06-2012, 05:28 AM
IMO it would be good to lower the center arm rest where the ski pass is but if your looking for the best sound you want to face the sub either towards the back of the car or mount it facing upwards into the deck lid. You want the vibrations striking against a hard metallic surface to get the most sound out of the system. To conserve space your probably going to have to get a little inventive. You can fabricate a box with proper dimensions for the sub your running and either mount it to the back of the trunk or suspend it from the decklid. Either way if your going to want any kind of sound you either need to let the ski pass down or mount have at least 500 watts. If your going to keep the trunk sealed I would try and dynamatt the trunk otherwise your going to have more rattle then bass. As far as mounting the amp I would either mount it to the back pf the seat or up on the deck lid depending on where you mount the sub and size of the amp. Just my .02 cents..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Crestwood1001
07-06-2012, 07:12 AM
^Valid point, does anyway make boxes designed for the ski pass method, might be better off investing in a good box for that instead of having to shell out a lot for 500+ watts

nike001
07-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Yeah I'll probably wait to do this a little bit longer so I can plan it out a bit better

BimmerWill
07-06-2012, 07:31 AM
You should have no need to set it "in" the ski pass just as long as its open to allow the air and vibrations to travel through. If you point it into the cabin it is a much bigger space for the sub to fill so it will not resonate as properly.

Open up the ski pass face the sub anyway you like as long as its not facing the seats and you should be golden.

Crestwood1001
07-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Dalton my buddy is selling two 10inch type r's a 500watt amp and a box that are all almost new....

nike001
07-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I only want 1 woofer & an amp.

Go Horns!
07-06-2012, 08:32 PM
I have a sub set-up like the op's pic, and after knocking out the ski-pass I have plenty of bass. Running 375W to a single 10. This plus some bassnectar equals a nice massage.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6877360129_b7a5221c15.jpg

UdubBadger
07-07-2012, 08:05 AM
You should have no need to set it "in" the ski pass just as long as its open to allow the air and vibrations to travel through. If you point it into the cabin it is a much bigger space for the sub to fill so it will not resonate as properly.

Open up the ski pass face the sub anyway you like as long as its not facing the seats and you should be golden.

doesn't exactly work that way... at least not with mine. My ski pass is open and sub is pointed from drivers side to passenger side. Doesn't work as well as I hoped.

Crestwood1001
07-07-2012, 06:13 PM
doesn't exactly work that way... at least not with mine. My ski pass is open and sub is pointed from drivers side to passenger side. Doesn't work as well as I hoped.

Agreed with that logic not standing completely true