PDA

View Full Version : How to setup a BMW Diagnostic Computer v.2 > With Files doityourself

danewilson77
07-08-2012, 04:48 AM
So....Charlie was kind enough and had enough foresight to save files to his computer prior to deletion by a defector. In the process of uploading them now. Thanks to Boss for upgrading my upload limit to make this possible for the Community.

File names have the page numbers of the thread I believe, so reading them in order should make sense. Additional data point is that you can't upload a "Zipped" file. I did not know that.

MACOSX files are in post #3.

Enjoy.

cakM3
07-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Looking forward to this thread Dane :thumbsup

cakM3
07-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Actually, they will all work on PCs as well. All these files are saved in .pdf format so if you have Adobe Acrobat Reader then you should be able to look at them :thumbsup

I just downloaded a file from the PC list and it worked on my mac :thumbsup

sna77
07-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Excellent!
I have an old Dell Latitude D630 with XP and a DB9 serial port that I use for programming with other software (NavCoder, Intravee, etc).

I plan to get NCS Expert going ASAP. This cable just came in from Romania which supposedly will work. It also came with NCS Expert and some instructions on a DVD. I'll post more once i get things going.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260974322749?item=260974322749&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

derbo
07-09-2012, 11:08 PM
thanks for this. Most of this is all scattered over the internet but its nice to have it all laid out for ya. I read another place where the editing of the INI file was different and let to my APItest to have a host error :(. I followed this one and manage to get the API test to test out! Just have to wait till tomorrow to get on a charger to see if this works!

cakM3
07-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Thats awesome news guys! Glad to see progress being made :thumbsup

derbo
07-10-2012, 09:37 PM
APItest was working so it meant the GT1 could read out of the virtual machine and onto physical ports. I got stuck where I couldn't detect a diaghead from GT1. The GT1 could be pinged from Vista cmd prompt but it didn't see it from the GT1 side.

I found out you need a diaghead install as well. (should be on the EASY GT Folder on 4share)

I had to run the diaghead software. Hit the run on the diaghead software then turn on the IFHSrv.exe. The boot up GT1 and setup the connect the diaghead under adminstration connect diaghead. I got it to read my vin automatically. I didn't have anymore time today to short test but it looks like it should be working soon! I don't have my driver seat as well so driver seat memory is not working and I know programming is out of the question. (No real reason for me to use it since I do have access to ISSS at work)

http://img.skitch.com/20120711-r2j6isup6r5x1g4xihces737fp.png

az3579
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I am going to be typing up instructions using PASoft to recode a used LCM in a few days to supplement this thread. :thumbup

elric
07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I am going to be typing up instructions using PASoft to recode a used LCM in a few days to supplement this thread. :thumbup

Can't wait. Am in the process of building a diag/coding computer, and Strider needs to have his LCM recoded.

:roundel

cakM3
07-11-2012, 05:13 PM
This is going to be

E P I C

:thumbsup

TT + iPhone4

MrMaico
07-12-2012, 02:15 AM

So does this mean I would be able to code my early version LCM to the latest software with the 3 blink turn signal? That would be awesome! Or do you mean recode a used one to our vin and mileage? I still haven't attempted to get these other (NCS, INPA etc) programs to run but have I used PA Soft to change a few things.

cakM3
07-12-2012, 03:21 AM
So does this mean I would be able to code my early version LCM to the latest software with the 3 blink turn signal? That would be awesome! Or do you mean recode a used one to our vin and mileage? I still haven't attempted to get these other (NCS, INPA etc) programs to run but have I used PA Soft to change a few things.

The answer to this is no. PA Soft won't update the firmware inside the LCM to the newer vers (4.0 or 4.5). To get the newer LCM firmware you will either have to get it through a wrecker yard, ebay, or dealership. Cost for a brand new LCM ('06 ///M3) is around $335.

derbo
07-12-2012, 08:10 AM
I believe Tischer is around $311 + shipping for it.

I'm looking for one on ebay as soon as Charlie posts up PASoft instructions :D

cakM3
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Yeah Derek,

My price was $311 but then I had to pay tax :facepalm

Anyway, I now have a brand new LCM with the latest firmware revision for the E46. Can't wait to get this installed :)

Anyway.... back on topic...

I should have my MBA set up for my diagnostic computer hopefully this weekend :)

MrMaico
07-12-2012, 12:13 PM
The answer to this is no. PA Soft won't update the firmware inside the LCM to the newer vers (4.0 or 4.5). To get the newer LCM firmware you will either have to get it through a wrecker yard, ebay, or dealership. Cost for a brand new LCM ('06 ///M3) is around $335.

Thanks Charlie, I kinda figured that. It will still be nice to have BPs coding guide for if/when a person would pick up a newer version LCM with triple blink.

New LCM is 289.99 at Lincoln BMW

http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215771

Barry

cakM3
07-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Barry,

That's awesome! I'm sure BP will have something to put out by the weekend regarding his writeup :thumbsup

TT + iPhone4

derbo
07-12-2012, 07:35 PM
awesome! Which LCM did you get for the sedan? Rain Sensor Automatic Xenon? Adaptive headlights is for coupes only right?

cakM3
07-12-2012, 08:18 PM
awesome! Which LCM did you get for the sedan? Rain Sensor Automatic Xenon? Adaptive headlights is for coupes only right?

Derek,

I got the Rain sensor auto Xenon. One touch triple blink first then eventually when I have time, I plan to retrofit the rain sensor to my ZHP :)

Sedans don't get the adaptive headlights. Not sure if I would want them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

derbo
07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
That's what I figured. rain sensor is overrated ;)

thanks!

cakM3
07-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Derek,

I realize that since I have this feature with my ///M but just doing the retrofit to the ZHP is why I want to do it.

It has to do with the fact that there are some features/options that my daily driver didn't come with and I'm in the process of making that "perfect" daily driver.....for me...

derbo
07-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Charlie,

I was kidding about the rain sensor. I love it. Your zhp is becoming better and better :D

back on topic,

I upgraded to v57 on DIS to allow it to read E90s as well. I need to test an E90 out. I believe V57 software is 2009. The V44 is 2005 software I believe.

I mounted the v57 iso to daemon tools. I installed over the DIS v44 by going to administration > installation > v57 cd and waited forever for it to install. Once it's done you have to double check the ediagbias.ini on the VM side by going to the Calibration touch shield option. In there, you press ctrl+prnt scrn > vi ediagbias.ini and check that the remote host is 192.168.68.1 and the remote name is diaghead save the ini file and reboot. V57, You lose your coding options from V44 but I'm just looking to get DIS for diagnostics. I think I'll fiddle with SSS Progman next.

cakM3
07-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Derek,

You're making mad progress here!!! Awesome :thumbsup

TT + iPhone4

MrMaico
07-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Charlie,

I was kidding about the rain sensor. I love it. Your zhp is becoming better and better :D

back on topic,

I upgraded to v57 on DIS to allow it to read E90s as well. I need to test an E90 out. I believe V57 software is 2009. The V44 is 2005 software I believe.

I mounted the v57 iso to daemon tools. I installed over the DIS v44 by going to administration > installation > v57 cd and waited forever for it to install. Once it's done you have to double check the ediagbias.ini on the VM side by going to the Calibration touch shield option. In there, you press ctrl+prnt scrn > vi ediagbias.ini and check that the remote host is 192.168.68.1 and the remote name is diaghead save the ini file and reboot. V57, You lose your coding options from V44 but I'm just looking to get DIS for diagnostics. I think I'll fiddle with SSS Progman next.

It's from reading things like that that I haven't even attempted to install those programs yet. That's so far over my head that I'm afraid I'd just end up frustrated even trying. I bought the 2 cd set off Ebay a while back that supposedly has some instructions included and with the instructions here someday I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Hopefully it's a little easier than it sounds.

Yup, like Charlie said, adaptive headlights was a coupe only thing. It's a cool feature to have, especially if someone lived in the mountains/twisties. At $785 a piece though, not so cool if a person got in a minor front end collision or even just took a rock into one of them. Plus the fact that you can't replace the lenses sucks. Mine are still in pretty good condition though so I just bought a 3M light restoration kit and some LaminX protectors for them. Not gonna use the most aggressive steps on them though when I do polish them.

Not gonna happen until it cools off a bit though, these 90s every day are getting old. I stopped at a marine dealer an hour ago to see if they rented watercraft.....no such luck. :-)

Barry

derbo
07-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Barry, its not too bad as long as you know a little about networking. The biggest thing you need is patience. I took almost 1hr a day after work to fiddle with it for a total of 2 weeks. Most of the instructions are in the main pdf in the first post. There is a few missing items in the pdf but the information is out there on the internet at bimmerforums or bmwecu. Getting the GT1 to recognize the usb cord as a diaghead isn't too difficult as long as the ini file is setup and the host files in GT1 are setup to the same port and ip.

I was in the same boat as you where the amount of setup to get it running seemed overwhelming. I just dove right in and now I got a working V57 DIS. I don't think I will want progman running since I feel like it is outdated and the firmware on modules that are brand new are probably higher than the software we are downloading and using.

I know a few technicians that programmed e36 with progman to add a new module and it would crash. They had to use the new ISSS ISID to get it to work properly due to the firmware being newer than the progman software. This is even though its an E36. Strange right!?

cakM3
07-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Derek,

I installed a used LCM with s/w vers 4.0 in my ZHP this morning and recoded my VIN and odometer readings successfully into the "new" LCM. Tamper dot gone and then BP was able to code in all the desired features including one touch-triple blink. Everything now works and BP will be adding this procedure including pics later on. I wanted to do a quick post to tell everyone that it is possible to recode the LCM as terra has stated. All I had to do is figure out the right algorithm to use to recode my LCM and with PA Soft and BMW scanner, everything was easy to do :thumbsup

It's nice to have both bimmers with one touch-triple blink...;)

derbo
07-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Derek,

I installed a used LCM with s/w vers 4.0 in my ZHP this morning and recoded my VIN and odometer readings successfully into the "new" LCM. Tamper dot gone and then BP was able to code in all the desired features including one touch-triple blink. Everything now works and BP will be adding this procedure including pics later on. I wanted to do a quick post to tell everyone that it is possible to recode the LCM as terra has stated. All I had to do is figure out the right algorithm to use to recode my LCM and with PA Soft and BMW scanner, everything was easy to do :thumbsup

It's nice to have both bimmers with one touch-triple blink...;)

Thanks for the update. Looks like all I need a the software pasoft!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cakM3
07-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Derek,

You have to have the BMW Scanner vers 1.4.0 Programmer which is used with PA Soft's software. I used this scanner and was able to recode my used LCM with my VIN and odometer readings resulting in no tamper dot and full functionality. Then BP used NCSExpert for the rest. Watching him do this... it seemed very easy to do. Even BP mentioned that doing this the second time around was much easier for some reason.... I was happy to see the final results....both my ///M and ZHP having an LCM that supports the one touch-triple blink feature. All in all a great day. :)

Let me know if you have any other questions Derek :thumbsup

~Charlie

MrMaico
07-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Barry, its not too bad as long as you know a little about networking. The biggest thing you need is patience. I took almost 1hr a day after work to fiddle with it for a total of 2 weeks. Most of the instructions are in the main pdf in the first post. There is a few missing items in the pdf but the information is out there on the internet at bimmerforums or bmwecu. Getting the GT1 to recognize the usb cord as a diaghead isn't too difficult as long as the ini file is setup and the host files in GT1 are setup to the same port and ip.

I was in the same boat as you where the amount of setup to get it running seemed overwhelming. I just dove right in and now I got a working V57 DIS. I don't think I will want progman running since I feel like it is outdated and the firmware on modules that are brand new are probably higher than the software we are downloading and using.

I know a few technicians that programmed e36 with progman to add a new module and it would crash. They had to use the new ISSS ISID to get it to work properly due to the firmware being newer than the progman software. This is even though its an E36. Strange right!?

Thanks for the info Derek! Of course, I know absolutely nothing about networking. :-)

One of these days I will just go for it and see how far I get before I'm totally confused. I tried to follow these instructions when they were first posted here and got a few steps in and had an issue where I wasn't getting the same responses from my laptop that he was showing in his screenshots. I gave up for the day and never did try again. I do have PASoft now so I can do a few basic things but I'd like to do some things that require NCSExpert like halogens and fogs with high beam Xenons.

derbo
07-15-2012, 10:15 AM
Barry,

If you get stuck, we can also try and help get you through the rut!

Getting NCSexpert to run is the first step and that's the easy part! GT1 takes a little more time to get it right.

cakM3
07-15-2012, 11:56 AM
.... and that's why we have threads like this on forums :thumbsup

Derek, awesome job getting through this! I may be asking you questions sometime when I have time to do this. Right now I have PA Soft up and running and am having fun using my BMW scanner :)

Just got done recoding my LSZ and ULF using PA Soft/BMW scanner over the weekend :thumbsup

TT + iPhone4

elric
07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I got the GT1 DIS/SSS software up and going. Now to get the NCSExpert software installed ... any hints?

PA Soft .... hmm, not heard of this one.

cakM3
07-15-2012, 02:16 PM
I got the GT1 DIS/SSS software up and going. Now to get the NCSExpert software installed ... any hints?

PA Soft .... hmm, not heard of this one.

Jeff,

Send BP a PM... he knows how to use this :thumbsup

derbo
07-15-2012, 02:51 PM
Elric if you got GT1 running, that's the hard part! Since you got GT1 up and running, I assume that means your INPA is up and running properly. NCSexpert should've been installed with EDIABAS. It is just another checkbox when you installed INPA, EDIABAS.

Disclaimer: I have no responsibility for this damaging your car. I am merely posting my experience on how I got NCSexpert to work on my own vehicle. DO EVERYTHING HERE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Read up on the internet and make sure you have a general idea of what you are doing before starting this!

To get NCSexpert running you need to make sure you have Revtor's profile. Download it from the internet via google and put the .PFL into your NCSEXPER/PFL/ Folder. Open up NCSexpert. Make sure your car is plugged into a power supply or engine is idling. Leave the car in ignition II (the one before you crank the car)

1. Select File > Load revtor profile.
2. Hit the first lower left button that says VIN/ZCS/FA
3. Hit the middle button that says ZCS/FA f. ECU to read your VIN.
A prompt will pop up and if the car is 2000+ hit one of the ones that start with the letter A. If is older than 2000, you need to use like EWS but I never tried myself on anything older yet. After a brief moment, in the middle it should say your last 7 of the VIN and a bunch of letters and %% 1@#! ^ stuff. This means NCSexpert is able to load your vehicle order (VO)
4. Hit the lower right button BACK
5. At this point in the middle it should say something about SG_CODIEREN. This means NCSexpert is in write mode. We don't want that yet!
6. Select Process ECU on the bottom and select the individual module you want to fiddle with. ie. GM5 or ALSZ, AKMB etc.
7. Once you selected the module, hit CHANGE JOB button and select CODIERDATEN_LESEN. This changes it to read the module settings instead of writing.
8. Now hit EXECUTE JOB. It should say coding activ, coding ended.
9. Minimize NCSexpert and open up the folder ~/NCSEXPER/WORK/ to find a file called FSW_PSW.TRC. Open the file in notepad.
This file will have all the settings for the individual module you selected. This is where you change settings. I will not go everything as everything is in German. This is where you can set things to active and not active etc.
10. Once you edited what settings you want to change. save the file as FSW_PSW.MAN into the same WORK folder. Make sure you changed the file extension and not FSW_PSW.MAN.txt. This file is what NCSexpert will use to code the car with. TRC file is the output file of NCSexpert read outs and will always get overwritten everytime NCSexpert reads something so make sure you backup your settings in case something goes wrong!
11. Now go back to NCSexpert and select CHANGE JOB and now select SG_CODIEREN. We are now in WRITE MODE.
12. Make sure the module you are about to write to is the same module you modified settings to. In the middle screen of NCSexpert it should state ALSZ, GM5 etc (whichever module you read earlier.)
13. Once you have confirmed everything is correct, hit EXECUTE JOB and watch for the coding activ, coding ended screen.
14. Cycle the key of the car and put it back into ignition II and verify the settings you change have be set.
15. Congratulations! you have done your first coding experiment with NCSExpert!

A few options I added to my car I have listed in the quote below along with which module in front.

nicht_activ = not active
activ = active

Bolded setting is the setting I have it set to.

ALSZ
BLINKIMPULS_CRASHBLK Crash warning blinker impulse speed. wert_01 – wert_04
BLINKIMPULS_WARNBLK Hazard lights impulse speed. wert_01 – wert_04
FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ Fog lights turn off when high beams are on. aktiv / nicht_aktiv
SIDEMARKER_US US mode sidemarker (parking lights with headlights) aktiv / nicht_aktiv
PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON wert_01=bixenon and halogen together. wert_01 / wert_02

GM5
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB Comfort close remote – vert top, sunroof aktiv / nicht_aktiv

IHK
DISPLAYANZEIGE_HIGH Display “HIGH” instead of number on hottest setting. aktiv / nicht_aktiv
DISPLAYANZEIGE_LOW Display “LOW” instead of number on coolest setting. aktiv / nicht_aktiv

derbo
07-15-2012, 11:21 PM
I'm having issues trying to install SSS 3.1 Base Hack.iso. I get stuck at a blue screen after editing the regedit shell file to go to explore.exe. It hangs there for over 30minutes :(

The mouse moves but I'm stuck.

Edit: Silly me. It's explorer.exe not explore.exe. :facepalm . I noticed the instructions doesn't say to install VMware Tools to get the drivers for the unknown devices in device manager. You need to install that for it run ;)

cakM3
07-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Derek,

I found a few guides that may provide some help :thumbsup

Not sure if you have any.....let me know if this helps :)

cakM3
07-16-2012, 03:01 PM
I also have some Fault Code Lists to share.

Just to be clear... I am in no way responsible for any problems anyone would come to while using anything I have shared. You do this at your own risk, just so you understand.

Okay, now with that out of the way....here are the files :thumbsup

BustedBoat
07-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Just to go on a tangent, do any of you guys use INPA? Installing it has been a trip.

derbo
07-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks Charlie,

I believe those are the instructions I went over before trying to install progman. Never try to install programs at 2am! lol

BustedBoat
07-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Does inpa need to be used in conjunction with other programs? ive been trying to use it on its own. Also anyone have any idea what api error # 28 means?
sorry for the blurriness.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/447/65959726.png

cakM3
07-19-2012, 03:48 AM
For those of you who want to get the BMW Scanner v1.4.0 with the PA Soft software here is a link with more information about this. I purchased the scanner and was able to recode my LSZ module to my car's VIN and odometer successfully. Anyway...here's the link :)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=893444 (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=893444)

You can never have too much information! :thumbsup Yes, I will be converting that thread into pdf documents as well...

You can buy the scanner and software here: http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1-4-0-bmw-scanner-bmw-diagnostic-bmw-scan-tool.html (http://www.xcar360.com/bmw-scanner-1-4-0-bmw-scanner-bmw-diagnostic-bmw-scan-tool.html)

elric
07-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Anyone if the PA Soft software requires their scanner hardware, or will it work with any standard 'diag' USB cable?

:confused

MrMaico
07-19-2012, 06:35 AM
Just to go on a tangent, do any of you guys use INPA? Installing it has been a trip.

Might be some info in here that would help you.........

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561237&highlight=

cakM3
07-19-2012, 06:36 AM
Anyone if the PA Soft software requires their scanner hardware, or will it work with any standard 'diag' USB cable?

:confused

No Jeff it won't. You need the scanner for the software to work. I provided the link in my previous post where you can purchase the scanner. Mine works perfectly :thumbsup

elric
07-19-2012, 06:50 AM
No Jeff it won't. You need the scanner for the software to work. I provided the link in my previous post where you can purchase the scanner. Mine works perfectly :thumbsup

Thanks Charlie .... I was curious as I already have a USB/OBD2 cable that I use with the GT1 software.

cakM3
07-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks Charlie .... I was curious as I already have a USB/OBD2 cable that I use with the GT1 software.

I was in the same boat but found that link on E46F and was intrigued how this program would be able to reprogram a used LSZ module using the BMW scanner. For the price, I couldn't pass on this and ended up getting my LSZ modules recoded.....with the new one that I put in my ///M, I didn't need the dealership to program it although I was glad to have BP with me to help :)

Now with the BMW scanner, I can reset codes and do a lot w/o having to learn the GT1 since I really don't have the time at the moment.....eventually I will learn how to use the GT1 through you guys...;)

Its been a week now since I had recoded my modules and I haven't run into any issues, not that I would expect any... especially with the used one I put in my ZHP. They both have been working flawlessly so far :thumbsup

MrMaico
07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
Charlie, does your BMW Scanner ZKE page have this "Entr Aid" option under Central Locking Funtions? I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't. The guy that posted this used that option to set his car so it unlocks all doors with one click of the remote. I'm wondering if there is a newer version of the software that I need to download to get that option. That was on an 04 M3.

Barry

http://www.hoelzer.com/m3/zke5.jpg

cakM3
07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Charlie, does your BMW Scanner ZKE page have this "Entr Aid" option under Central Locking Funtions? I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't. The guy that posted this used that option to set his car so it unlocks all doors with one click of the remote. I'm wondering if there is a newer version of the software that I need to download to get that option. That was on an 04 M3.

Barry

Barry,

I went to my car and plugged in my BMW scanner into the OBD II port and brought up PA Soft. To answer your question yes, my version does have this option as shown in the below pics.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ZKEMenu.jpg

Just to make sure.....
I selected ZKE by double clicking on the tab
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/SelectZKE.jpg

Then a dialog box popped up and I selected "coding data"
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ZKECodingData.jpg

Then another dialog box popped up and I clicked on "recoding" to bring up the menu options as shown in my first pic.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ZKERecoding.jpg

I just don't know what selecting Entr. aid will do yet....have been busy lately with college finals but wanted to get this out to you right away :thumbsup

Hope this helps!

MrMaico
07-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks Charlie! I'll have to fire up the laptop this weekend and check mine again and see if I can get the single push unlock to work.

Good luck on the finals!

Barry

cakM3
07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks Charlie! I'll have to fire up the laptop this weekend and check mine again and see if I can get the single push unlock to work.

Good luck on the finals!

Barry

Keep us posted on your progress Barry! :thumbsup

328ioc
07-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Charlie this is an amazing thread. It has made me decide to buy an old lap top off Craigslist and use it just for my car.

Bravo to you, Dane and BP and every one else who has contributed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

cakM3
07-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Charlie this is an amazing thread. It has made me decide to buy an old lap top off Craigslist and use it just for my car.

Bravo to you, Dane and BP and every one else who has contributed.

Thanks Delvin :) Credit goes to everyone who contributes! That's what makes our forum unique :thumbsup

derbo
07-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm in the process of finding out how to get isss running. I love using it at work and love to get it to work on the computer if it is even possible! I'm sure there is a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

328ioc
07-24-2012, 09:59 AM
If I was going to look for an old laptop on Craigslist what kind of specs would be needed to run pa soft, ncs and GT1 and all of this fun stuff.

az3579
07-24-2012, 11:57 AM

Barry

Barry,
You can use NCS Expert to do that. Load the GM5 module and change the value ZV_SELEKTIV from aktiv to nicht_aktiv.
If you have NCS Expert (and it works) and need assistance, let me know and I'll help you out.

Hornung418
07-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Barry,
You can use NCS Expert to do that. Load the GM5 module and change the value ZV_SELEKTIV from aktiv to nicht_aktiv.
If you have NCS Expert (and it works) and need assistance, let me know and I'll help you out.

What are the prereqs for that to work? We tried to do that on my car, but the code wouldn't take.

Horney...via TT.

az3579
07-24-2012, 12:57 PM
What are the prereqs for that to work? We tried to do that on my car, but the code wouldn't take.

Horney...via TT.

What model year is your car?
I haven't been successful in getting my interface to work on 99's and 2000's.

If that doesn't work, SSS would be able to do it as well, but i never recommend SSS because it takes years to load every menu.

Hornung418
07-24-2012, 01:07 PM
2000 328i. If there is a module I can swap out for an updated one that wouldn't be an issue.

Horney...via TT.

az3579
07-24-2012, 03:36 PM
2000 328i. If there is a module I can swap out for an updated one that wouldn't be an issue.

Horney...via TT.

I'm thinking you should still be able to access and apply the settings if you have the interface that works with the ADS interface (I think that's what it's called, right? The round diagnostic plug under the hood).

I don't know; perhaps would swapping your General Module for a newer revision be possible? I haven't looked into GM5 upgrades for older cars.

derbo
07-24-2012, 04:22 PM
20pin plug is the older interface plugs. I want to try a obdii to ads adapter at work.

Hornung418
07-24-2012, 05:36 PM
I have both, OBDII and the ADS. More recently I'm going to be converting to MS43 so that will hopefully yield some information with the GMV when I transition.

Sockethead
07-24-2012, 08:23 PM
This guy is selling a laptop fully loaded with GT1 stuff....
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/88319-selling-laptop-gt1-dis-v57-sss-progman-v32-tis-v8.html

wsmeyer
07-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Anybody using SSS/Progman?

When I run it it stalls at:

"The vehicle order/central encoding key (FA/ZCS) is being determined."

And then after about 4 minutes it goes to:

"Information on a vehicle from the model series E46 could not be determined"

Any ideas???

William

Sockethead
07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Here's a great link on Xoutpost. There is a ton of info on the first page and 56 more pages of stuff. Some of it is X5 specific but most is for how to setup and use
http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/59057-my-experience-laptop-gt1.html

Sockethead
07-24-2012, 09:04 PM
If anyone is interested, I can write up the basics on getting started with DIS

Sockethead
07-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Anybody using SSS/Progman?

When I run it it stalls at:

"The vehicle order/central encoding key (FA/ZCS) is being determined."

And then after about 4 minutes it goes to:

"Information on a vehicle from the model series E46 could not be determined"

Any ideas???

William
Sounds like the head isn't communicating with the car. Does INPA work? usually, if that works, everything else will too

derbo
07-24-2012, 10:26 PM
What is the IP that you setup Progman to use?

wsmeyer
07-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Initially I thought INPA was working as I had the two black dots and the green 'running' block in the lower left corner. After messing around with it some more though, as soon as I try and go further, like reading the DME info it throws a communication error. It seems like it knows it's connected to the car but can't talk to it if that makes any sense. I'll investigate further tomorrow. The ODB cable is def on com1, where is the mapping from com1 to an IP address?

William.

wsmeyer
07-24-2012, 10:54 PM
More... I'm running W7 x32 and I've already turned off UAC and the firewall.

derbo
07-24-2012, 11:25 PM
wsmeyer,

Just to be sure:

Under My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Enviroment Variables > scroll to Path

add ";c:\ediabas\bin" without the quotes to the end of the path? and rebooted?

Is the ediabas.ini file is edited with the information below?

The TCP/IP part should say:

Default = diaghead
RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1

and Port = 6801

You ran the OBDsetup.exe from C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD and then a full reboot again?

Just hoping to cover all bases.

That's pretty much all I did to get INPA to work first.

wsmeyer
07-25-2012, 09:30 AM
wsmeyer,
Just to be sure:
Under My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings > Advanced Tab > Enviroment Variables > scroll to Path
add ";c:\ediabas\bin" without the quotes to the end of the path? and rebooted?

Yes, when I installed INPA it wrote that entry into PATH and it has been rebooted.

Is the ediabas.ini file is edited with the information below?
The TCP/IP part should say:
Default = diaghead
RemoteHost = 192.168.68.1
and Port = 6801

RemoteHost and Port are set to that.

Default interface or something is set to ??:ODB - Can't remember exactly.

I'll try 'diaghead' but that sounds odd as I thought diaghead.exe was used with DIS?

In all the examples I've seen of using INPA I don't recall anyone mentioning diaghead.exe

You ran the OBDsetup.exe from C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD and then a full reboot again?

Yes, and all lines showed 'OK'

It's starting to make sense as I understand now that INPA communicates out on the IP address 192.168.68.1, ediabas maps that IP address to the port 6801, and in Device Manager >> Serial Port you have port 6801 assigned to Com1.

I'll double check all the entries and try again when I get home and report back.

William.

johnrando
07-25-2012, 11:58 AM
William, selfishly wishing you the best in getting this sorted so we'll have a local West Coast coder! Let me know if there is anything you need.

derbo
07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I think the name diaghead shouldn't matter too much as it is related to dis. I wrote diaghead without the exe and it seems to be working with DIS and progman.

wsmeyer
07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
I messed around with it some more and no luck. I tried changing the ediabas.ini with diaghead, diaghead.exe and with and without diaghead running but INPA still won't talk to the car. I keep wondering if it's just a bum cable.

That project is going on the back burner for now. I already have the P.A.Soft BMW Scanner and that does everything I really wanted and works fine. The DIS / SSS was more curiosity than anything.

@John - what programming did you want to do. Basic stuff I can do with the BMW Scanner.

William.

Sockethead
07-27-2012, 03:31 AM
I messed around with it some more and no luck. I tried changing the ediabas.ini with diaghead, diaghead.exe and with and without diaghead running but INPA still won't talk to the car. I keep wondering if it's just a bum cable.

That project is going on the back burner for now. I already have the P.A.Soft BMW Scanner and that does everything I really wanted and works fine. The DIS / SSS was more curiosity than anything.

@John - what programming did you want to do. Basic stuff I can do with the BMW Scanner.

William.
I had issues getting it to work on my laptop too. Everything was setup correctly. i was begining to think I had a bad head too. I'm running Win7 32 bit. The final solution was an Operating System wipe and reload.There was something loaded on the system that was interfering with it... who knows what it was... driver probably.

Everything works great now...

az3579
07-27-2012, 12:17 PM

William.

Here's a short version of what you need to make INPA work:

* The correct cable. Must have the FT232RL chipset. Pins 7+8 must be soldered together, and on some cables you must make some changes to the EEPROM using a particular program called MProg (invert values or something, if I remember correctly).
* A functioning copy of EDIABAS/INPA (obviously). Must be able to do a full install.
* Environment variable path for "Path" must have ";C:\EDIABAS\bin" tacked into the string before installation of iNPA/EDIABAS. Can also be done after install, but program won't work until this is done.
* Must have run the OBDsetup batch file within the EDIABAS directory
* Must have EDIABAS.ini modified with the RemoteHost section having an IP address of 192.168.68.1 and the port being 6801

These are some things to try. You do not need DiagHead or IFHSvc32 running for INPA to work. If there is anything mentioned on here that you haven't done but don't know how to do, hit me up and I'll assist.

MrMaico
07-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Keep us posted on your progress Barry! :thumbsup

Someone started a new thread and he said to set all options to "NO" under "Central locking functions" to enable the one click to unlock all doors.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14611215#post14611215

I tried that rather than checking all under "Entr aid" (turns out I did have that option on my screen) and it worked for me. No more pushing the remote button twice to open all locks.

He also claims you can change the option for mirror tilt so that you can set to memory how far the mirror tilts when in reverse. I unchecked "memory" under "mirrors" like he suggests, but it didn't change anything. Still tilts all the way when the switch is set to "left" and in reverse.

BimmerWill
07-29-2012, 10:16 AM
So at risk of sounding like a complete noob im going to ask this question, "what does this software allow you to actually do?" Give you the ability to program, turn on, and off features on the car such as rolling up windows with the key fob and turning off DRL? I apologize if im asking a question that's already been answered but I've read a few posts and most of it is in jargon that I simply do not understand. Again sorry for the ignorant question.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

danewilson77
07-29-2012, 04:18 PM
So at risk of sounding like a complete noob im going to ask this question, "what does this software allow you to actually do?" Give you the ability to program, turn on, and off features on the car such as rolling up windows with the key fob and turning off DRL? I apologize if im asking a question that's already been answered but I've read a few posts and most of it is in jargon that I simply do not understand. Again sorry for the ignorant question.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Yup. It also allows you to monitor engine data.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

derbo
07-29-2012, 04:45 PM
You also can read bmw specific faults for diagnostic purposes. Although you can program modules, some modules may have newer software than the program we have available.

wsmeyer
08-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Here's a short version of what you need to make INPA work:

* The correct cable. Must have the FT232RL chipset. Pins 7+8 must be soldered together, and on some cables you must make some changes to the EEPROM using a particular program called MProg (invert values or something, if I remember correctly).
* A functioning copy of EDIABAS/INPA (obviously). Must be able to do a full install.
* Environment variable path for "Path" must have ";C:\EDIABAS\bin" tacked into the string before installation of iNPA/EDIABAS. Can also be done after install, but program won't work until this is done.
* Must have run the OBDsetup batch file within the EDIABAS directory
* Must have EDIABAS.ini modified with the RemoteHost section having an IP address of 192.168.68.1 and the port being 6801

These are some things to try. You do not need DiagHead or IFHSvc32 running for INPA to work. If there is anything mentioned on here that you haven't done but don't know how to do, hit me up and I'll assist.

OK, I started messing around with this again last night and I do have the FT232RL chip and pins 7+8 are soldiered together. Here's where it gets hinky, I downloaded the MProg program and when I read the device it comes back 'blank device'. I have a feeling all these ODB heads are the same so I wonder if someone (you :)) could just save their eprom and I could write it to mine and it would magically work?

William.

Sockethead
08-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Like I said, I would try loading on a fresh copy of windows. There is probably nothing wrong with the head, it's most likely an issue with the OS, driver conflict or even a recent windows update could be causing the issue

wsmeyer
08-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Like I said, I would try loading on a fresh copy of windows. There is probably nothing wrong with the head, it's most likely an issue with the OS, driver conflict or even a recent windows update could be causing the issue

I might have to try that but it was a fresh install before I started messing with all this stuff and I do have the BMW Scanner software running so I'm trying to avoid starting from scratch. Plus, this laptop only has IDE drives so loading windows takes forever.

William.

az3579
08-08-2012, 03:32 PM
OK, I started messing around with this again last night and I do have the FT232RL chip and pins 7+8 are soldiered together. Here's where it gets hinky, I downloaded the MProg program and when I read the device it comes back 'blank device'. I have a feeling all these ODB heads are the same so I wonder if someone (you :)) could just save their eprom and I could write it to mine and it would magically work?

William.

Did you buy your cable pre-modified, or did you have to solder it yourself? Sounds like you bought it pre-modified, so you shouldn't have to mess with programming the chip.

Before we go further, definitely start a fresh copy of windows. Immediately disable Windows Update and Windows firewall completely before installing anything or doing anything.

wsmeyer
08-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Windows isn't having any problems communicating with the device. Here's what MProg is getting from the device:

The eprom is just FF - there's nothing on it, it is blank.

wsmeyer
08-27-2012, 04:08 PM
I finally got a new cable today and now have INPA and SSS working. Now I need to figure out NCSExpert so I can turn on the triple blink in my LCM.

cakM3
08-28-2012, 10:23 AM
I finally got a new cable today and now have INPA and SSS working. Now I need to figure out NCSExpert so I can turn on the triple blink in my LCM.

Send BP a PM, he will tell you exactly what you have to do to get one touch - triple blink to work on your LCM. You have the right s/w vers to do this :thumbsup

BP set both my ZHP and ///M with this feature :)

Crickett
08-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Send BP a PM, he will tell you exactly what you have to do to get one touch - triple blink to work on your LCM. You have the right s/w vers to do this :thumbsup

BP set both my ZHP and ///M with this feature :)

So jealous. :shift I plan to search some pick-n-pulls around the area to find a suitable LCM to do this myself!

On a completely different note, does anybody know of a way to send a USB connection across any remote screen access protocol (e.g. VNC, Windows Remote Desktop, etc.)? I'm imagining being able to connect my USB OBDII cable to my iPad running a suitable VNC client that simply passes the USB signals from the OBDII cable to the Windows machine running DIS, INPA, NCSExpert, etc.. It seems that all of the pieces are there, the trick being getting it all together . . .

cakM3
08-28-2012, 02:05 PM
another useful coding web site I just located (don't know if anyone else goes there) is BMW Coding. Here is the link: http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php (http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php)

Here is a getting started with coding your car thread :) http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?1-Getting-Started-with-Coding-your-car (http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?1-Getting-Started-with-Coding-your-car)

NCSExpert errors and what they mean: http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?78-NCSExpert-errors-what-they-mean-and-how-to-fix (http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?78-NCSExpert-errors-what-they-mean-and-how-to-fix)

Give it a look for those who want to learn how to code :thumbsup

danewilson77
04-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Does everyone see this as "stickied"?

cakM3
04-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Does everyone see this as "stickied"?

yes :thumbsup

danewilson77
04-30-2013, 03:26 PM
OK. Great.

06ZhP
04-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Absofriknlutely

derbo
03-31-2014, 10:45 PM
bump for Steve (QCS_)

QC_ZHP
03-31-2014, 10:56 PM
Already sub'd :thumbsup

Working my way through. I'm doing this on my netbook so I need to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate in order to access XPmode to work in NCS expert. $120 through Windows Anytime Upgrade, searching for cheaper alternatives.

derbo
04-01-2014, 08:16 AM
That doesn't sound right. You need XP mode to run NCSexpert? I am able to run it natively in windows7 32bit.

QC_ZHP
04-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Just what I've read from various threads. Interesting that you've got it to work. Maybe I should give it a go, I have everything extracted, just haven't gone through the install process yet.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-gt1-ops-opps-inpa-24/bmw-inpa-ediabas-ncs-expert-tool-winkfp-1/

If you have Win7 operating system INPA will work properly but you need XPmode to work with NCSExpert.

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/33771-issues-with-ncs-expert/

Avetiso
04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Do I need it to be 32 bit?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

derbo
04-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Does inpa need to be used in conjunction with other programs? ive been trying to use it on its own. Also anyone have any idea what api error # 28 means?
sorry for the blurriness.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/447/65959726.png

What cable are you using? Pin 7 and Pin 8 on the OBD Port side should be tied together for E46s and pre08 E90s. Did you follow the instructions in this thread?

derbo
04-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Just what I've read from various threads. Interesting that you've got it to work. Maybe I should give it a go, I have everything extracted, just haven't gone through the install process yet.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-gt1-ops-opps-inpa-24/bmw-inpa-ediabas-ncs-expert-tool-winkfp-1/

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/topic/33771-issues-with-ncs-expert/

I'm running windows enterprise, but I never used XP mode (I assume this means running a XP VM inside win7). I believe as long as you are on 32-bit OS you shouldn't encounter any problems with this guide. I have heard some people got the 64bit to work but I have no experience with 64-bit.

danewilson77
04-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Moved to coding.

terraphantm
04-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Latest version of NCS Expert works in 64-bit

Tnhl1989
04-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Welcome back Terra. What version is the latest version of NCS Expert. I been doing a lot of research on more of the newer stuff lately and it gets super confusing really quickly after installing ISTA/D, E-SYS, and trying to get ISTA/P to work now. Also for some reason all my INPA files are in Dutch/German now. Is there a way to get english daten files?

QC_ZHP
04-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Terra, do you know if I'll run into issues using NCS expert on Windows 7 Starter? I've heard that Windows 7 users need to access XP mode, but have also heard others had no problem.

terraphantm
04-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Welcome back Terra. What version is the latest version of NCS Expert. I been doing a lot of research on more of the newer stuff lately and it gets super confusing really quickly after installing ISTA/D, E-SYS, and trying to get ISTA/P to work now. Also for some reason all my INPA files are in Dutch/German now. Is there a way to get english daten files?

I think it's NCS Expert 4.0 -- it's part of the BMW Standard Tools 2.12 package. You'll also need a few modified files to get it in English and disable the profile-edit password. I can upload them if you guys can't find them

Terra, do you know if I'll run into issues using NCS expert on Windows 7 Starter? I've heard that Windows 7 users need to access XP mode, but have also heard others had no problem.

I've never used Windows 7 Starter, but you shouldn't need XP Mode with the latest version of NCS Expert

Tnhl1989
04-22-2014, 11:12 PM
Yes terra if you could upload them that would be awesome. Also if you could like a copy of ista/d I could provide that. It works quite well to diagnosis the car and figures out what is wrong with it.

Tnhl1989
04-30-2014, 03:23 PM
Bump, any update on editing the english or uploading the english files Terra?

prowlerflyer
10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Ok, as usual an awesome thread, but as I am a complete coding noob and only average computer skilled individual, please indulge my ignorance.

I have chased on and off now for a while, what I believe to be a failing wheel speed sensor. I have exhausted my mechanical troubleshooting and need to tap into the OBD for more info (and I need to move on to the next step, I am too much of just a mechanical guy). So I need to get a decent system reader/scanner. I have tried apps like Torque and Garmin Mechanic, but they are too limited in their depth and actually can't see certain active codes. I was quite surprised to have the active yellow/red lights on for the wheel speed sensor and TORQUE was not seeing any codes at all.

So it seems like getting the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 is the way to go. Peake is too basic, NCS Expert too big of a step, etc. Does this seem like sound logic?

Which Scanner 1.4.0 do I need? There seems to be a basic/demo version for like $30 (Xcar360) or the full version for like $650 (PA Soft). Which do really need? I need to be able to pull all codes, and clear/reset them if needed. Coding is lower on the list, since BP was kind enough to have already done most of that for me. I would like to update to a newer LCM later, but currently lower priority.

Thoughts please!

Steve

Sockethead
10-07-2014, 02:21 PM
You need DIS to troubleshoot. It has diagnostic routines to pinpoint where the trouble is.

prowlerflyer
10-07-2014, 05:18 PM
DIS?

derbo
10-07-2014, 05:58 PM
DIS?

You need BMW's factory software called DIS/GT1.

Tnhl1989
10-07-2014, 07:38 PM
I have PA Soft and can send it to anyone on the forum here for a family pricing. Please PM me. Also if you want to meet up tomorrow I can do that as well as I'll be in Worcester in the morning time. I have ISTA and all other programs to figure out your problems. PM me. Don't get the full version of PASOFT as it's not needed. Also sometimes the xcar360 doesn't work correctly as the circuit boards aren't made correctly or has different versions. I ordered from them a lot before and other providers.

Sockethead
10-07-2014, 07:48 PM
I believe the PDF files at the beginning of this thread talk about how to set it up on an old laptop but it's been a long time since I looked at them.
I bought my setup with the cable and all from a guy in Romania on eBay and used an old laptop to get it all working. I used DIS a lot on our X5 to TS air suspension issues. I wouldn't of been able to fix it with out the diagnostics in DIS

prowlerflyer
10-07-2014, 07:51 PM
You need BMW's factory software called DIS/GT1.
Got it, knew GT1, just didn't connect DIS to it.

derbo
10-07-2014, 08:01 PM
I believe the PDF files at the beginning of this thread talk about how to set it up on an old laptop but it's been a long time since I looked at them.
I bought my setup with the cable and all from a guy in Romania on eBay and used an old laptop to get it all working. I used DIS a lot on our X5 to TS air suspension issues. I wouldn't of been able to fix it with out the diagnostics in DIS

I'm beginning to like ISTA/D more than DIS for speed. :)

WOLFN8TR
10-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Sub'd...[emoji106]

Tnhl1989
10-07-2014, 08:48 PM
Yeah ssd with ista/d is amazing. I have a cable for e46 generation, e90 generation and f generation that all works on ista. Maybe I would get a icom and it would be easier but it's pricey. My place is actually upgrading soon on a new software. I'll see if I can get that.

derbo
10-16-2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah ssd with ista/d is amazing. I have a cable for e46 generation, e90 generation and f generation that all works on ista. Maybe I would get a icom and it would be easier but it's pricey. My place is actually upgrading soon on a new software. I'll see if I can get that.

You are getting an ICOM? :) How about E-SYS?

Sockethead
10-16-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm beginning to like ISTA/D more than DIS for speed. :)

Yea DIS is slow as hell. It's kind of annoying

derbo
10-16-2014, 03:33 PM
Yea DIS is slow as hell. It's kind of annoying

It's pretty bad with an SSD. The one thing it has going for it is that ISTA/D on my virtual machine total size is 50GB vs 20GB for DIS.

Tnhl1989
10-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Already have e-sys a long time ago. Been running it and coding f series cars.

Hoonin88
12-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Bump from the dead.

Any coders around the Indy area? I have acquired a BMW 1.4.0 scanner but broke the monitor on my laptop. Was hoping to find someone nearby with experience before I grab an el cheapo laptop. I plan to purchase an NCSExpert soon as well.