PDA

View Full Version : My Garage Renovation..

JupiterBMW
07-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Well, as I've posted in a different thread, I've been renovating my garage to make it a classier, nicer place to hang out and work on the cars. When I bought this house, it was in pretty rough shape, and its been a LOT of work. Whenever I choose to renovate a room (I stick to the 1 room at a time logic), I do everything I can, top to bottom. So, the garage was up next as my wife won't let me do anything IN the house with the baby still being so young. Don't want to have a newborn in a construction zone... :biggrin

Anyway, the proposed list of upgrades include
1. Repaint all walls white for a clean look (and to reflect light and make room brighter)
2. 2 part epoxy coat of floor with colored sprinkles (I upgraded to the metallic/reflective ones)
3. Remove two overhead lights and replace with 6 new 48" fluorescent dual bulb fixtures (have to run extra wiring and install junction boxes in the ceiling).
4. Relocate ceiling fan to center of garage, just behind garage door opener
5. New baseboard
6. All new hardware on cabinets
7. Reconfigure the workbench
8. Mount the tv (32" flatscreen) on the wall and install a shelf for cable/dvd boxes
9. Possibly put my dartboard on the wall?

And the piece to finish it all off... My wife is going to paint me a canvas to hang in the garage. I have to get the ZHP cleaned up, some new high quality photos, and then choose one. She will then paint the picture onto a canvas (probably about 30x40" or so)... :)

Onto the pics thus far.

This is a pic when I first looked at the house, with the PO's stuff still in it...

Here is a sorta shot of the workbench setup before I tore it all down... Doing ZKW surgery a few weeks ago...

And here are the pics since I've started to take everything down and renovate... Holy crap, emptying a garage is a LOT of work when you have no place to put everything.

And some late night support while I did the crack sealant on the floor... :shifty

And this is the coated floor as of today. I have to wait 24 hours and then tomorrow at noon I will put on the finish coat, which is another 2 part epoxy. This is a sealant and gloss finish coat. Should look pretty sweet when its done...

JupiterBMW
07-13-2012, 06:13 PM
The conduit and electrical outlets on the wall under the window is something I installed a few months ago. Tapped off the main circuitry and ran those for added power outlets. Its perfect too, runs right along the top of the workbench area. :)

Also, I switched out the ghetto oscillating 'ceiling' fan (see 1st pic) for a true ceiling fan, but it doesn't get the right airflow off in the corner, so I'll relocate it to the center.

And as for the 2nd to last pic... Irritates me how you can see the crack sealant line in the coating. Its weird because the epoxy paint covered everything personally. It must've had some sort of reaction and changed the color a bit. Hopefully it'll disappear with the gloss coat tomorrow... :) We'll see...

Oh, and I'd like to thank my wife for the fantastic sprinkling work of the color flakes... :biggrin

ryankokesh
07-13-2012, 06:13 PM
:like
Look awesome - great work man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnmadd
07-13-2012, 06:14 PM
:drool

cakM3
07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Jon,

Talking about transformation!!! Wow....that looks great! :thumbsup

The "man cave" is looking good...;)

Crestwood1001
07-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Wish I had a nice garage! Cant wait to move into the new house in a few weeks! 3 car garage ftmfw!

JupiterBMW
07-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Wish I had a nice garage! Cant wait to move into the new house in a few weeks! 3 car garage ftmfw!

Ahh, I'm jealous... With the cabinets on one side and the workbench/rollaway tool box on the other, I can just barely squeeze both cars in. Realistically, they only get shoved in there in the event of hail/hurricane, for protection. Otherwise, one of them will spend her days outside.

That being said, my wife and I know the address of every house in the neighborhood that is 1 story with a 3 car garage... I will buy one of them if they come on the market. :shifty

JupiterBMW
07-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Another of my transformations... I'm proud of this one... Before and after should be fairly obvious... :)

danewilson77
07-13-2012, 06:36 PM
:drool

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

cakM3
07-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Jon,

That is incredible! Keep them coming :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ryankokesh
07-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Sheeeet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mLuMaN83
07-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Very nice man.

I actually plan on moving to Jupiter in the future. I grew up in Florida, moved to Vermont, and moving to Colorado. The older I get the more confused I get about my life but Florida and specifically south Florida, is home for me.

I went to a few business things there and fell in love the the ocean drive area of Jup!

Crestwood1001
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
That shower is beautiful. My father just sold our house and bought a new one in the golf course development down the road. It was a model home and when he told me he bought it I went to check it out the garage is like an office, no garage doors just two french doors. I was heart broken lol all I cared about was a nice garage. I called him and he told me part of the contract was that they repaint the whole house, replace all the carpet..... and...... make the garage a garage! haha SO excited to have a real garage.

Ryans323i
07-14-2012, 04:36 AM
Look really good so far. Love those floors. The wifey did great work with the sprinkles!

The bathroom is a total transformation. Extremely nice.

JupiterBMW
07-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the replies folks! It's a labor of love, that's for sure. Anyway, here are a couple updates... I just finished the high gloss clear coat with a nonskid additive. The floor is officially done, now just needs to dry... 4 days!

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6ed06a-78b6-b782.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/4c6ed06a-78c3-0dbf.jpg

johnrando
07-14-2012, 06:21 AM
Just awesome work!

cakM3
07-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Jon,

Now that's a very nice finish! :thumbsup

I would like to do this for my garage but it wouldn't be the same since I'm in an apartment complex :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nomar06
07-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Garage and bathroom look great! Nice work.

JupiterBMW
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Well, not a lot of progress over the weekend. We spent Saturday at a pool party, so that meant Sunday was a hangover day... But anyway, I've been slowly making progress. At the very least, I got my rollaway tool chest out of the dining room, and the white cabinets out of the living room.

Today I got the baseboard laid and started putting a couple things back into place. With the baseboard in place, I can put the stuff back into the garage. I might even be able to wash/detail the cars for this coming weekend! Will post more pics later when I make some REAL progress...

3ZHPGUY
07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Looking GOOD or should I say GREAT, hope to do something similar to the home I just purchased here in Tennessee once we get settled.

Ryans323i
07-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Looking really great! Can wait to see the final product.

JupiterBMW
07-18-2012, 05:06 PM
Well, its finally done... Sort of anyway. Its as done as I'm going to make it for right now. The tv went on the wall, a small shelf for the cable and DVD player... So nice to have that stuff up and out of the way. All new hardware on the built in cabinets. New paint, baseboard, and of course, the floor coating. I also reconfigured my shelves a bit and redid my workbench. Its amazing that reorganizing a bit will really make more space appear.

Its been a lot of work, and I still have to move the ceiling fan and install the extra lights, but that's all coming later. I'm wiped and I want my baby back in the garage! Tomorrow the work on my headlight retrofits continue... :) And sorry for the clutter on the shelves and workbench, was still doing some final cleanup when I stopped to snap these pics.

danewilson77
07-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Looks flipping phenomenal.

johnrando
07-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Looks flipping phenomenal.

+1

BimmerWill
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Very nice work...wish I had somewhere clean and beautiful to keep mine...oh well one day :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Jon D
07-19-2012, 12:07 PM
Very nice work...wish I had somewhere clean and beautiful to keep mine...oh well one day :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

That sums it up well.

cakM3
07-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Jon,

That project of yours turned out so awesome!!! :thumbsup Thanks for sharing this with us :)

quikryptonite
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Looks fantastic.

JupiterBMW
07-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. It was a lot of work, but dropping $500 into the garage is kind of nice because I'm sure that small amount of money will definitely return itself in the long run. It sucks not buying rims or exhaust for the car, but when I look at the results, I'm happy, and knowing the money will hopefully come back in equity is what makes it worth it...

Now, I get to spend all night tonight and tomorrow playing with the car. :big grin

*EDIT* And for any of you that'd like to do something similar, I have two bags of the decorative flakes left for the floor coating. The bags I have are black/grey/white/blue colored flakes. If anybody wants them, pay for shipping and they're yours. :)

Gordo_GT
07-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Wow congratulations. As soon as I get my home (hopefully soon) this will be on the mod list for sure. $500 is not bad at all.

JupiterBMW
08-08-2012, 05:05 AM
A couple more pics as it wasn't truly DONE. Heck, it still isn't... I spent about 3 days redoing all the electrical and running new lights. Now I have 6 48" fluorescent light fixtures and the ceiling fan in the center of the room, where it belongs. Hopefully all the lights (it is insanely bright) will help with detailing! I also hung the ladder and got a few other little things out of the way. Now I have to start buying parts for the ZHP so I have something to do with the garage. :biggrin

M3TA5IN
08-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Awesome man, I'm jealous! My garage is older than dirt, I don't think it could ever look that awesome.

Oli77
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
I like your tool box Jon, If you are not at sea and get the message, what kind is it?

330i ZHP
02-23-2013, 04:00 AM
what are the bars on the garage door?

Your garage came out really nice

328ioc
02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
I like your tool box Jon, If you are not at sea and get the message, what kind is it?

I believe its a craftsman but I can't remember from that last time was over his place.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

mLuMaN83
02-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Thats lookin real good man. I think we need a pic of what's in the fridge...

brettbimmer
02-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Thats lookin real good man. I think we need a pic of what's in the fridge...

Haha, instead of "Cribs" we have "Garages".

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Dave_B
02-23-2013, 01:34 PM
I'm super envious!

So far I've just got 5 flouro lights, a fridge, tool box and work bench. Yours is very clean though!