PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Plug Info

deuce08s
07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry to post this, but I cannot find any information on the size or type of plug that our transmissions have (6MT). On a side note, and I"m just venting, but it seems that searching the forums is just a chore. You type in what your'e looking for and it searches by what is IN the thread more than the title of the thread. So it's just hard for me to navigate some times to look for information on changing the Tranny fluid.

Do you need to remove the plate that is under the car? Is the fill plug a Torx and the drain plug a metric head? My Bentley says squat about it because they talk about generic 3-series transmissions and show pictures that look nothing like what I have. I sit here for hours reading and researching the threads to find what I need and somehow come up empty-handed.

Sorry for the venting, I know it isn't this hard but I don't want to break something, screw something up, or waste a ton of time like I have been trying to do something right the first time.

I love my car, btw!

Thanks for the help, guys. I don't want to waste anyone's time but I've wasted so much of mine I thought I'd spread the burden!

danewilson77
07-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Pc 6

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=23_1053& hg=23&fg=15

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/23117531356/
Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

deuce08s
07-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Thank you. :(

aurelius
07-19-2012, 01:17 PM
You'll need an 8mm hex socket for removal. As I recall there's not room for a torque wrench down there (or at least not the one I was using at the time) but the torque spec is 35 Nm.

You don't have to remove the aluminum cross brace but be sure to loosen the fill plug first. You'll be screwed if you drain first and then find the fill plug is stuck. Same on diff but the plug is a different size.

I'm no tech guru but you might try Internet searches. They're at least a lot faster than forum searches. If you want to keep a search site-specific, start your search with, for example, "zhpmafia.com"

You should however be able to use a forum's own search function to limit results to subject titles only although the exact way to do that is a bit foggy as I recall.