PDA

View Full Version : FCAB Lifespan-12k miles???

edlvrt
07-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Hey all. I purchased my car about a year ago at @70k miles. The front control arm bushings had been replaced at 59k by BMW under warranty. I had them changed with new OEM parts at an indy BMW shop as they were bad shortly after purchase at 71k miles. Now, at 83k miles, they are starting to show signs that they are bad again. Going over bumps, I can hear a rattle from my right front (same as before) and the steering wheel jumps to the right and I hear a nice clunk if I apply the brakes quickly. I know our roads in the south are junk, but 12k miles for a set of bushings??? I was expecting to get the same 50K miles+ that I saw with my E36 on the same roads.

What is really odd is that both times, it has been the passenger (right) side which has failed first. Is there any other bad suspension part that could cause the right bushing to go bad? Bad strut? I think my control arm ball joints are good.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Whitexi
07-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I've read of this happening before, my cousins car at 186,000 has never had bushings done and it's steering is solid and sound. I've had mine done 3 times and have 203,000.

Its hit or miss but I gave up on the suspension of my car a long time ago. I've changed manny things over and over and just give up lol.

I'd go over all the suspension good but my bad ball joint would pop like that and cuase a pull when breaking.

danewilson77
07-18-2012, 05:18 PM
What brand CABs?

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Johnmadd
07-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I have this, right front clunk... not 100 percent of the time but at least 70 percent. I have records of constant complaints and dealer records saying they replaced parts and nothing different happened, I live with it because it's just a sound (I hope) and it doe not affect driving.

danewilson77
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
I have this, right front clunk... not 100 percent of the time but at least 70 percent. I have records of constant complaints and dealer records saying they replaced parts and nothing different happened, I live with it because it's just a sound (I hope) and it doe not affect driving.

Shocks, FSM's, CAB's, inner and outer control arm ball joints (control arms), endlinks, and tie rods.

What's been changed?

Johnmadd
07-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Shocks, FSM's, CAB's, inner and outer control arm ball joints (control arms), endlinks, and tie rods.

What's been changed?

Fsm's are in question for me according to my records, just been too Damn busy and hot outside to do anything. I will look and take pics of my P.O. records tomorrow.

edlvrt
07-18-2012, 05:56 PM
What brand CABs?

I forget if the shop put in Lemforedor or Genuine BMW. I'm thinking about trying Meyle HD and see if they last any longer. I stopped by the shop that installed them, and the owner is gonna see if we can get a warranty refund for the part. Either way, I wouldn't mind trying something different in the hopes of longer life.

danewilson77
07-18-2012, 05:58 PM
I use HD's. How are your roads?

edlvrt
07-18-2012, 06:09 PM
They range from this

http://media.nola.com/politics/photo/pothole-jenajpg-37c702f3231f8e93.jpg

to this

http://www.averagejoesblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/pothole.jpg

:help

The 2nd one is perhaps a slight exaggeration, but a lot of the roads in New Orleans do look like the first image, which was taken only a few blocks from my house

johnrando
07-18-2012, 06:18 PM
I used to live in Nawlins, and that's definitely true. Never seen worse potholes than there, and I've lived a ton of places in the US.

Johnmadd
07-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Seriously, I can show records of right front clunk records and it still clunks, if. I were as persistent as the P.O. I'd have a new car by now, lol.

S85FTW
07-18-2012, 10:29 PM
I bought my zhp in June 2008 with 28k miles, car knocked from a dead stop to initial movement. Brought the car into the dealer @38k miles, dealer replaced the control arms and bushings. Fast forward to 2012, control arms got so bad my car would wildly pull with even the slightest unevenness in the pavement I drove on. Replaced yet again, but this time polyurethane CABS with the new arms. First oem set lasted 38k miles, last set 70k miles. A huge delta in mileage, however, PO lived in Long Island(pothole city). If the new owner of the zhp joins the mafia, then he can continue the feedback.

danewilson77
07-19-2012, 04:39 AM
FCAB lifespan would definetely be affected by the road. John, I've never had a clunk issue, but, I always am changing out my suspension, which prompts me to change FSM and other related suspension components pretty frequently.