PDA

View Full Version : Inner sidewall wearing terribly :(

BimmerWill
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Im lowered on FK silverlines and had always had problems with the inner tire wearing until I got it aligned properly. Got that done and put a fresh set of rubbers on it only now it seems that the tire on the left side is getting eat up by part of the wheel well. I got a flat yesterday and swapped out the full size spare with the eaten up one on the rear and noticed a shiny spot in the wheel well where I believe tires been rubbing causing it to eat the sidewall off. Gonna take a look underneath today to see if the bushings in the rear are bad or if something is loose that would cause this. Camber was only -1.5 when I took it to alignment shop so I know its not that so im guessing its the bushings. Any one have any other suggestions? Will post pics of the tire and the wheel well when I get it home.
thanks for the help fellas

-Will

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

M0nk3y
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Toe will eat tires...not camber.

What toe are you running?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

BimmerWill
07-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Im not sure. Have to take it to alignment shop. Do you think it could be the rcabs?

BimmerWill
07-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I was always under the impression that negative camber greatly reduced tread life of the inner tire... "/"

danewilson77
07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
I was always under the impression that negative camber greatly reduced tread life of the inner tire... "/"

It does....but not as much as toe. The scubbing effect of the tire on the road is horrible.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

BimmerWill
07-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Checked everything out as best I could nothing seems to be out of place so im gonna take it to an alignment place Wednesday and have them check the toe. I appreciate the advice guys.

jreyes19
07-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I would get the alignment checked to get a picture of what is going on then look towards things like the rca or rcab, I actually had a situation where my actual rear control arm was bent, from the PO.

But how many miles are on the tire

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

BimmerWill
07-24-2012, 05:12 AM
Im honestly not sure on that. A fair amount but I had stupidly thrown out my paperwork from the tire place so its hard to say. I took a look at the sway bars and everything seemed to flow as it should from what i could tell there wasn't any obvious bends or hits to them and i pryed with a screwdriver to see if it would move much and it felt solid. The bushings don't even seem to have any cracks in them which surprised me. I did notice a yellow splash of paint on the sway bar. I know that indicates something but not sure what.

BimmerWill
07-25-2012, 05:22 PM
Took it to alignment shop today apparently toe was off fairly bad with the rear wheels going down the road like so \....\ had them adjust the toe then do the front since fixing the rear knocked the front off..hopefully i should be good now. Surprisingly only have -1 degree of camber in the rear so hopefully tires will start lasting my longer then they have been. Thanks for the help guys

M0nk3y
07-25-2012, 05:28 PM
Took it to alignment shop today apparently toe was off fairly bad with the rear wheels going down the road like so \....\ had them adjust the toe then do the front since fixing the rear knocked the front off..hopefully i should be good now. Surprisingly only have -1 degree of camber in the rear so hopefully tires will start lasting my longer then they have been. Thanks for the help guys

Glad to hear it's something "cheap" to fix. Alignment payment is never fun but it's an easy fix.

BimmerWill
07-28-2012, 01:46 AM
It wasn't really all that bad I don't think... 36 for camber adjustment and toe in the rear and then 20 for toe in the front. There the only shop in my area that will tough bimmers besides the dealership..don't even think the dealer can get my car up on their racks...I called before and asked about whether they could align lowered cars and they said stock m3's just barely fit so its doubtful lol...