PDA

View Full Version : Argos Bluetooth retrofit kit from Bavarian Autosport?

redwagon
07-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Anyone installed this? I'm wanting to have bluetooth hands free enabled.... have read through many of the DIY's on the topic here and also on E46F. this seems like such a simple solution from the folks at Argos/BA, and at $269 something that installs this easy and works through the BMW system. Am I missing something here? Anyone have feedback on audio quality?
thanks-
Tim

(Click for a larger image)
The Argos for BMW plug 'n' play kit lets you use your bluetooth-enabled cell phone for hands-free calling in your BMW using the phone buttons on your steering wheel! With bluetooth, you can place and receive calls and make voice-command calls without ever taking the phone out of your pocket, as long as it is turned on. A great safety upgrade! The problem with many Bluetooth kits has been that retrofitting your car has been a technical headache. You had to buy a conversion kit, sometimes a speaker, electrical connectors, and figure out how to cut into the wiring harness and fuse box, and splice into the radio to mute it when you're on the phone, string a separate mic up to the sunvisor... way too complicated (And if you cut the wrong wire, way too expensive!). We have the solution: The Argos for BMW (BT AEXP3) Bluetooth system makes it plug `n' play using your BMW's factory phone hook-up with no extra parts needed in the cabin. Just locate the phone connectors (typically in the trunk), plug them into the kit, plug in a BMW factory microphone in the overhead console and you're done! No radio removal, no running wires, no splicing, no cursing, no screwdriver-throwing! Argos is works with your BMWs OEM Phone functionality. No need to tune a certain station or be listening to your iPod, etc. In fact Argos will work fine even if the radio is off. Argos mutes the radio and pauses your CD during calls. Works with the cars listed even if you have NAV or DSP. If your car was not originally equipped with BMW Assist, you will need to purchase a BMW OEM microphone, part number 84 31 6 938 762.

Part Number Description Price Qty.
BT AEXP3 Plain-Talk Bluetooth Kit with Steering Wheel Function
$ 269.95

Product Instructions

328ioc
07-26-2012, 05:55 AM
I would like to know too. I might interested in one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

aurelius
07-26-2012, 06:50 AM
Just locate the phone connectors (typically in the trunk), plug them into the kit, plug in a BMW factory microphone in the overhead console and you're done!I realize the quote above is from the product description but...plug the mic into what? Seems to imply running the mic wire from the trunk. If that's the case, I'd prefer the Parrot/Connects2 kit (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=720922), especially on a non-Nav E46.

328ioc
07-26-2012, 07:46 AM
I realize the quote above is from the product description but...plug the mic into what? Seems to imply running the mic wire from the trunk. If that's the case, I'd prefer the Parrot/Connects2 kit (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=720922), especially on a non-Nav E46.

The car is pre wired. There is an extra plug up by the sunroof switch where you plug in the mic.

redwagon
07-26-2012, 09:43 AM
I pulled the top panel last night (takes 5-10 seconds) and noticed that unfortunately I do not have the mike.......even thought the plastic grill was there, and I have the sharkfin for BMW assist. (my ZHP is a 2004 model year)
BA sells the OEM mike for an additional $60 or so. I went ahead and ordered both and will report back on how it works. Providing that one is willing to spend $150-200 or so more than the other DIY's that say less than $100 for the kit, it appears to save a bunch of time in that you are dealing with the trunk connectors and are not pulling out the radio, dash, glovebox, center console etc....... If it works as advertised it appears a much better solution.

And BTW, contacting the local dealers........$475 in labor and $1200-1500 in parts to install all the proper BMW bits.......OMG not going there....

Tim

acontzhp
07-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Def keeping a close eye on this. Keep us posted man. It would be awesome if it works as advertised. I need something like this as well

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

JupiterBMW
07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
+1 on interested and waiting to hear your experience! This could be the perfect solution...

aurelius
07-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Using the pre-existing mic wiring probably has me sold on this, but only because I have the factory-installed Nav system.

Going the Parrot/Connects2 route with Nav requires running the mic wiring thru the whole length of the interior from the trunk and there's some question whether the wire is even long enough to reach its intended location. That's why I haven't done it.

That said, current pricing for the Parrot/C2 is half what BavAuto wants for the Argos unit + BMW mic. I've installed the Parrot/C2 parts in a non-Nav ZHP and it works extremely well. Steering wheel control, audio muting, the whole shebang.

For a savings of $150+, I'd say it's worthwhile but that's of course a judgement call.

To those considering the Parrot/C2 route: if you have yet to replace your interior climate control fan's Final Stage Unit, consider doing both of these projects while you have the glove box removed.

johnrando
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I have the Parrot/Connects2 w/Nav and the wire length wasn't a problem IIRC. (Either that, or the installer spliced in extra wire, but I don't recall that).

328ioc
08-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey Tim, any update?

acontzhp
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Hey Tim, any update?

+1

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

328ioc
08-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Bueller.......

acontzhp
08-27-2012, 03:48 PM
I'd really like to know if this product works as advertised. Has anyone here tried it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

328ioc
08-29-2012, 07:37 AM
I'd really like to know if this product works as advertised. Has anyone here tried it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Redwagon said he ordered it to do a test but then we haven't heard anything since.

I will shot him a PM and see if we can get a hold of him.

328ioc
09-26-2012, 08:06 AM
Bump for an update?

velocity_b
10-02-2012, 10:42 AM
Would love to read a customer review on this! Surprised there isn't more info out there...
Love that it works with factory wiring/mic. Would like more info on the voice commands it is capable of. Voice commands only seem to be mentioned briefly in passing...

iZHP
11-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm gonna spring for it; I promise to let you guys know. It's on sale now, just saw in their Holiday catalog.

WOLFN8TR
11-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Sounds interesting, I'm in for a product review. Someone get that sucker installed.

iZHP
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
My Review (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?8403-Argos-Bluetooth-Kit-from-BavAuto&p=218252#post218252) as promised!