PDA

View Full Version : BMW DIS Software

Tampa330i
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Is anyone familiar with BMW DIS software? It's taken me half a day to get it working in vmware. I did a practice run on my desktop since it's faster, got to the point where DIS was fully installed. I've now got it just finishing up on my netbook. One thing the install guide didn't mention was any kind of setup for the interface that the obd2 will be plugged into. I've seen a video of this software installed on the very same netbook, so I know it can work. Has anyone ever used DIS before?

danewilson77
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Interesting read here may help?

:dunno

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385070&highlight=dis+software

Really......there are a ton of threads here regarding this...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=233

az3579
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Dunno, though if DIS is CPU- and/or memory-intesive, then I wouldn't recommend running it on a netbook.

Tampa330i
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I already have it running, just trying to get it to connect, now.

az3579
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Is this something that's supposed to connect to something online? Do you have a subscription to it, if that's the case?

Tampa330i
01-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Oh no, no. This is one hell of a hackjob, basically emulating some kind of custom unix box. This, from what I understand, is what BMW dealers use to program cars. I'm going on hour 12 or so of trying to make it work. Here's the guide I followed: http://dis.robmw.altervista.org/dis/index.htm

I have it installed and running on my netbook in vmware, the problem is connectivity. I beleive I'm missing some kind of emulation of something called a diagnostic head, a big yellow thing the dealer has.

Tampa330i
01-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Interesting read here may help?

:dunno

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1385070&highlight=dis+software

Really......there are a ton of threads here regarding this...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=233

That first one may just do it. I'm getting a feel for exactly how this software works. Since I've already got DIS running, I basically just need to mimic the diagnostic head, which can be done with software in that link.
This quote helped a great deal:
"EDIABAS is BMW's diagnostic protocol (language) and INPA is an interpreter program that communicates with EDIABAS to return diagnostic data. DIS is just a simplified platform for communicating with your car through EDIABAS. You need to install INPA/EDIABAS onto your computer first so that DIS can utilise it to send and receive commands to your car."

Tampa330i
01-12-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I got it working. I followed that method with that custom 'easydis' and it basically had done automatically a lot of the things I did manually in the version I had before. I got the communications working, was able to emulate the diagnostic head, and this is a 'short test' run from the diagnostic menu:
http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/5f908ac0e20f055586d178f958f4458cc4df105ab1871b0146 2eb90495d607276g.jpg

! next to something means it's working, x indicates a fault. I still have a lot of research to do on how to use DIS before I really mess with it.

az3579
01-13-2011, 02:54 AM
So this pretty much allows you to program anything the dealer can program, once fully functional?

Tampa330i
01-13-2011, 05:06 AM
Exactly. I'm already working on the solution to it only picking up the DME and transmission. I believe it's the cable's inability to recognize the ignition and battery. I posted on that first thread, waiting for confirmation from those guys. It could be as easy as soldering 2 pins together on my cable. It's definitely talking to the car or I would have gotten an error trying to do a short scan.

az3579
01-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Where exactly did you get this from? This could potentially be useful for our members assuming it doesn't cost thousands of dollars (which it probably does).

danewilson77
01-13-2011, 07:03 AM
Where exactly did you get this from? This could potentially be useful for our members assuming it doesn't cost thousands of dollars (which it probably does).

Not........

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tampa330i
01-13-2011, 07:51 AM
Got it for free from the first link Dane posted. It's a pain downloading the stuff on the crappy share site it's on, but it does work. It requires a massive amount of steps performed in just the right order to make it work. It took me the better part of 2 days to get it to the point it's at now. It helps if you know unix, have strong proficiency in vmware, familiar with daemon tools, and a lot of patience. I'm still wondering why it only shows 2 things available for me and doesn't pick up the battery or ignition signal. I also need to get a float charger for the battery, as I've been reading it is unwise to code without having the battery hooked up to power. Apparently a voltage fluctuation during coding could result in permanent damage to control units. I'm still reading everything I find on it.

Tampa330i
01-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I found that INPA needs to work before DIS will, so I went to working in INPA. I did manage to get it working with nothing more than a $20 obd2 cable. I'm not able to see all of the control units, which leads me to believe my cable needs to be modified slightly to be fully functional. As of right now, it's only reading the engine & transmission. Oh yeah, it's half in German. Screenshots:
Engine main menu:
http://img28.mediafire.com/b410bcf989652eb9c6027b3cecd364642f56a30d371ccb3be9 39d9e1834f28d46g.jpg

After I press error, then short(description):
http://img28.mediafire.com/b818e34e29fc5c7397e07b54621984f881ffdcdfb1b022b1fc ddfe69d4bd79c76g.jpg

I forgot to screenshot the sensor reading because it was all going crazy and I was excited I got it working, but you can actually see real-time EVERYTHING about the engine. It will give you the RPM it's moving to the 1's place. It gives you the temp sensor value at the intake, engine, coolant temp. When you press the gas, you can see the exact percentage you're holding the pedal down. It's pretty awesome looking, I'll get a video up of that stuff. This is a very good and dangerous tool, as this is even a higher level than dealer functionality. I believe this is what is used to do the factory programming of all control units.

az3579
01-14-2011, 09:39 AM
That is so cool I might even make an attempt at it myself...
Problem is I don't speak German, so I'll constantly need to switch to a translator.

Tampa330i
01-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Behold in the glory of endless sensor readings and real time data:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uFPCqyiE8Q

It's in 1080p, fullscreen it if you can't read it well enough.

danewilson77
01-15-2011, 11:16 AM
You're like Rainman huh?

Tampa330i
01-15-2011, 11:33 AM
It took a lot of reading to get there, but the installation isn't very hard. DIS is much harder to install and get working. I need to find out why I can't get into all the modules. Once I can, I should be able to change my locks. Work in progress.

danewilson77
01-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Nice....maybe when you're done.....you can write up a "DIS for dummies" diy.

I would like to have this capability.

billschusteriv
01-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Nice....maybe when you're done.....you can write up a "DIS for dummies" diy.

I would like to have this capability.

+1. Yes. Previously you mentioned having to solder two pins together. Did you not have to do that with the obd2 cable?

Tampa330i
01-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Most of my info on DIS came from the post you linked. INPA is way, way easier to get working. I wouldn't even attempt DIS without at least some experience in vmware & unix (or linux - commands are similar). If you follow that post's instructions to the letter, it should work.
I would like to map out each menu in INPA and translate it as much as possible so we could have a guide on where to go when looking for a particular value - I've yet to find anything like this, especially since it's specific to our ZHP'd engine - You'll notice I choose M56 and not M54 as the engine type - it has a different designation than a regular M54 engine and will error if you try to enter the M54.

Tampa330i
01-15-2011, 07:30 PM
+1. Yes. Previously you mentioned having to solder two pins together. Did you not have to do that with the obd2 cable?

I may have to, but I haven't confirmed it yet. Without modification, it's working with only the engine and transmission control units. There's not much to reset from here other than errors or adaptations.

danewilson77
01-18-2011, 05:45 AM
What say you, oh mighty one, about this?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21160628#post21160628

Tampa330i
01-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm not sure if it would be much different buying the software because you still have to install it on a vmware box, unless you happen to have a blank gt1 cart that just needs software. DIS runs in SCO unix. You can run INPA & NCS expert in windows, though. I haven't played in NCS yet because not all my modules are reading yet (my cable does need to be modified). I'm pretty sure our e46s don't have a 20pin ADS port, either, so it has to be done through obd2 via a serial or usb cable. I don't think I've found any posts from a zhp owner, or even a later model e46 actually making this happen. From what I understand ADS was phased out in 2001, then it went to obd2 only, then 07 went to CAN. Also, they all suggest on that forum to use DIS v44 because it's the last version with diagnostics and coding built into one app. v57 requires DIS for diagnosis and SSS for coding. That first post you made in here worked for me, it just doesn't work right because of the cable. It's a hell of a project to get working, but worth the reward should it be fully functional some day.

Tampa330i
01-20-2011, 05:19 AM
Much to my surprise, I got full access working in INPA yesterday. I had my doubts with so little info on the subject, and virtually noone to turn to for help. I got a soldering iron from advance auto and some solder for 10 bucks. I soldered pin 7 to 8 on the inside of the obd2 side of the cable. Unmodified, the cable does not have anything connected to pin 8 (this is a called a VAGCOM KKL type obd2 cable). Unfortunately pin 8 is used by the output on the obd2 car connector on our cars. I was able to use the testing in INPA on various modules to control things for diagnostic purposes. I was able to roll down and back up the windows, lock and unlock the doors, trunk, etc all from INPA. You can test all kinds of stuff from the cluster to windows/locks, radio, steering wheel buttons, seat memories. Essentially you can single out anything electric in the car to test if that one thing is working. My next step will be simple programming changes such as my locks. INPA does not do coding, so another app called NCSExpert is used. I'm still doing my reading on how this works before I go exploring around with very-expensive-to-replace-electronics.
So for anyone wanting to diagnose anything electrical or read/clear error codes - I think I even saw clearing service indicators, all of them - this is something worth getting. I paid $22 for the cable from ecs and $10 for some solder and a soldering iron. It took a lot of time learning all the various terms and how data flows through the obd2 port, but it's paying off now. I'll never need to bring my car to a dealer to read or clear a code, ever.

I did a video of all the menus I went through, but it's like 10 minutes long. If anyone wants to see it, let me know, I'll post it.

az3579
01-20-2011, 05:34 AM
Got it working; fantastic. I'm definitely going to build this for myself.
So this can read all the emissions-related codes as well and reset them? Airbag included?

Tampa330i
01-20-2011, 05:57 AM
I haven't gone into the airbag yet, but it probably works. It reads all codes from all control modules, and can clear all as well.

az3579
01-20-2011, 07:10 AM
I haven't gone into the airbag yet, but it probably works. It reads all codes from all control modules, and can clear all as well.

So for someone who is not familiar with Unix or Linux, do you think this is do-able? I'm experienced with using VMWare Workstation.

Tampa330i
01-20-2011, 08:02 AM
INPA runs on windows, this doesn't need vmware. All you need is the cable, drivers for the cable, INPA software, and a guide to install it and get everything hacked just right to make it run. It's not as hard as setting up DIS was, DIS is the dealer GT1 computer. INPA is the factory diagnostic tool.

az3579
01-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Before I go asking any more stupid questions, I'm going to get started on the project. I'll be sure to get a hold of you if I need with something. :)

Tampa330i
01-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Take your time when you install, if you have a question shoot it over. One of the registry tweaks is in a different location in windows 7 vs xp, so I had to find it my self. I suggest reading as much as possible about it. The diagnostic section on bf.c is pretty good but very spread out. I couldn't get a confirmation from them on how to modify my cable, I just gathered info from other posts and tried it out for myself. I don't think theres a lot of people who really know how to use this stuff. Most of those guys are using this with the 20pin ADS connector, for pre-2001 cars.

Tampa330i
01-21-2011, 06:46 AM
For future reference, anyone wanting to know how to use NCSExpert (used for coding) will be thoroughly lost until you find this: http://ausbmw.com/tutorials/NCSTutorial/

Tampa330i
01-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I was able to read & save the trace files from ncs expert. I tried changing the visual confirmation of locking, and was able to code it, but it didn't work. I've got a thread going on bf.c trying to find out whats what with these ecus since there are more than 1 showing the same thing. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1589072 if you want to see the progress. Deeper down the rabbit hole...

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 09:29 AM
BIG news everyone! I finally did it! I can now code anything I want through NCSExpert! Today I successfully changed my alarm-lacking central locks to visually confirm lock and unlock via parking lights! One flash on locking, 2 flashes on unlocking. I also changed the autolock after x mph, but I didn't drive it yet to confirm. I re-read the ecu after coding it and the change took place on the ecu, so we'll see tonight. It took me just about 2 weeks and $30 from knowing nothing to fully functional coding. It's been a trip, but well worth it. I can probably supply a lot of help for anyone who wants to follow the path now that I have gone through the entire process.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-23-2011, 09:34 AM
JB, are you going to write up a DIY?

Congrats on cracking the codes.

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 09:53 AM
My god, I hope not. The write up on this would be a book. I've read probably 30 pdfs and hundreds of forum pages on various pieces of how this whole reading/coding works, then glued it together with some brain power and 17 years of computer experience. It's a long process to get it working because no two setups are exactly the same + different cars + different software versions + different cables + different computers + learning curves. I can, however, point anyone in the right direction depending on how far they are into the process. The guys on bf.c were helpful in that same way to me. The info is out there, you just have to know what you're looking for and what you're trying to do. My first piece of advice: forget about DIS. The DIS setup takes forever, runs slow as hell, requires a lot more steps to make it function than INPA/NCSExpert, and can't do as much as either. It is, however, much more visually 'easy' to use (i.e. clicking buttons). The coding process in NCSExpert is very confusing, but after a few days of reading, and now finally making it work, I understand the parts of NCS used to code options.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-23-2011, 10:12 AM
JB, I'm glad you're the one who figured it out. I would still be stuck at the start button (on the computer).

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 10:29 AM
lol, it was very frustrating because it took so long to make it work. Once I got the cable communications going (with, of all things, opening the cable up and soldering it) it was a lot better. You can't see much going on in these apps without it being hooked into the car. I can help a lot here because we all have the same method of connection, obd2, and if you get the cable I got, that's another match that I know works. We all have the same generation, e46, so the ecus will be very similar or the same, and if you go with INPA 5, you'd be running the same software I am. The computer doesn't matter too much, just have something at least as powerful as my netbook (1.66ghz dual core/2g ram/at least 1 usb port) - the requirements are probably a lot lower, but this is what I'm using and know works.
The INPA software is available for download here: http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/7137899/6e9cd794/sharing.html use password 'help' to get into the main page, click on EasyGT folder, then INPA folder, password here is 'INPA'. This is courtesy of David MC on bf.c. You'll also need winrar and some kind of virtual optical drive emulation app, such as Daemon Tools. I use Daemon Tools Lite, have for years, love it.

Mtnman
01-23-2011, 11:49 AM
wow. i didnt understand half of that! and i used to do some IT work too.... glad ur here tampa! good job on figuring it all out.

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 05:50 PM
As an added bonus to the visual lock/unlock, I just noticed my clown nose is blinking as if the car alarm was armed. This setting really does mimic having an alarm installed, very cool.

pyreguy
01-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I want that ^

Tampa330i
01-23-2011, 08:56 PM
If we ever have a meet, I can do this in less than 5 minutes.

Tampa330i
01-24-2011, 04:43 AM
Oh yeah, confirmation that I correctly turned off the auto-lock after x mph feature. No more, will I be denied access to my back seat after driving! That's 2 successful codes that "only a dealer" can do.

Make that 3. I was able to disable 'selective locking' just now. Selective = driver door unlocks on 1 unlock push, passengers door(s) unlock on 2 pushes. Disabled = 1 unlock push unlocks all doors. This is specific to each key. By default, it's turned on.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-24-2011, 06:42 AM
JB, looks as though you're having some fun.

Tampa330i
01-24-2011, 02:15 PM
It's fun saving lots of money, I really didn't want to pay a dealer for that.

az3579
01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
I am officially starting the project myself. First step is downloading all the crap I need... in progress.

az3579
01-24-2011, 05:16 PM
The INPA software is available for download here: http://www.4shared.com/account/dir/7137899/6e9cd794/sharing.html use password 'help' to get into the main page, click on EasyGT folder, then INPA folder, password here is 'INPA'. This is courtesy of David MC on bf.c. You'll also need winrar and some kind of virtual optical drive emulation app, such as Daemon Tools. I use Daemon Tools Lite, have for years, love it.

Are you sure that's the correct folder (EasyGT > INPA) for the INPA software? The files say EDIABAS on them. I found the files with INPA in the file name in the NCS folder...
I spent a considerable amount of time downloading the EDIABAS files. I will need them, right?

Tampa330i
01-24-2011, 06:02 PM
EDIABAS is the language and app used for various apps you'll use. It's labeled EDIABAS, but it's like a suite of the software needed to run all the features like diagnosis, coding, flashing. When you run any of these apps, they all pop up EDIABAS to use to actually communicate. You'll want to download all of that, then unrar. It's a disc image, use daemon tools to read it. Run the \program installation\setup.exe . Install everything. Once that's done, run \referez\install\instprog.exe . Upgrade whatever you can and fresh install ncsexpert, delete old.

az3579
01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Install everything. Once that's done, run \referez\install\instprog.exe . Upgrade whatever you can and fresh install ncsexpert, delete old.

By install everything, do you mean including the EDIC-Driver? Whenever I select this, it tries to have me locate the path for the driver files. I saw no mention of what this path might be in the install doc.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Technology/BMW%20DIS/009.jpg

By the way, I am creating an installation document, an extensive document to be used as a guide for those who might be interested in partaking.
I will include screenshots every step of the way.

Tampa330i
01-24-2011, 07:34 PM
I never got that during setup. Never heard that term, I'd just press next at that point. I already had my cable's drivers installed at this point, not sure if that's what it's referring to.

I didn't check that is why I never saw it, I just went with 'complete installation', use this:
http://i56.tinypic.com/2h82336.jpg

Tampa330i
01-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Click next 3 or 4 more times, until you get to these screens, choose what I have selected:
http://i53.tinypic.com/2yo3fh4.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/ohsjh1.jpg

Then click install.
Your cable's com port needs to be setup as well. Being COM1 is a requirement. You also have to change the latency timer to 1ms in advanced settings on the port.

az3579
01-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Could you please link to the cable you bought? I've been reading up on which cable to use and apparently there is a particular chipset that is optimal. Nobody on eBay lists what chipset their cables use, so I'm at a loss on which one is best to use. Or, does the chipset not matter that much?
Do you have instructions for how to modify the cable? I don't feel very comfortable modifying a cable like that, so any bit of guidance would be great...

Tampa330i
01-26-2011, 05:24 AM
This was a source of confusion for me as well, except I already had the cable before I knew anything about INPA, so I did some backwards learning on it. I got the one from ecs here: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Tools/ES6928/ . The chipset you want is FT232RL - You can confirm this on the actual chip once you get the cable, I needed a loupe to read it. Others may work too, but this is what I have working. There is some software on the driver website (http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm#FT_Prog) called FT_PROG you can use to physically change some stuff within the chip. DSR+ and RI+ need to be inverted, I can get some screen shots of how this is done. This change fools INPA into thinking the battery and ignition are on. The cable itself would be classified as a VagCom KKL type.

I never got a solid answer from anyone on bf.c on exactly how the cable had to be modified, I took a leap of faith on this one. I read a lot of people needed to bridge pin 7 & 8 on the obd2 side of the cable. Both of these pins are active on our car, and the cable by default had no connection inside for pin 8. Pin 8 is one of the 'K lines', the one that happens to deliver data from every control module except engine and transmission. Pin 7 is the other 'K line' used for only the engine and transmission data (this is why I could only read engine and transmission before I soldered). I will bust open my cable and show you my crappy solder job a little later. All you do is drop enough solder between those 2 pins to make a permanent connection. I haven't soldered much of anything in my life, and this was so easy it took about 5 minutes after the iron was heated up.

Tampa330i
01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Front an back of the board in the cable, pins 7&8 on back. They're numbered on the inside edge of the plastic on the obd2 connector.

Front, see chip ft232rl:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/5c7269a593cb68cc7699cba665beaa4f4401a8beed50093036 3fd6a5885378946g.jpg

Back, pins 7 & 8 soldered:

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/2def77e926f513a436f733ebc3d7611347ecc710fb7641cf5e 0b1c7b6ae8ec266g.jpg

az3579
01-26-2011, 05:34 PM
That's it? I thought there was a bit more modifying required than that... I don't remember which post it was that said that.
I can definitely do that; heck, I've bridged connections before (unintentionally) countless times! :biggrin

Currently installing the GT1/DIS portion.

Tampa330i
01-26-2011, 05:58 PM
I never did get DIS working with all modules. Once I got INPA and NCSExpert working, there was no need. You're in for a ride with DIS, it's 1000 more steps to get that working.

I recommend getting INPA working first, if that doesn't work, nothing else will either. Once INPA is up, DIS should work so long as the vmware and DIS side is setup. Keep in mind you can do more in INPA and NCSExpert than you can in DIS. It is cool to see, though.

Change your vmware popout hotkey to shift+ctrl. That way you can ctrl+alt+f1 to get to the command line in unix, you will need this. You'll also have to learn how to edit an .ini file in vi, if you're not already familiar. Only unix command you'll really use is init 6, and maybe ping if there are problems. Also, scoadmin gets you into the OS config.

az3579
01-26-2011, 08:06 PM
If I'm not really going to be using DIS thru VMWare, then why would I need the commands? Will DIS still be used?
Based on what you're saying, I'm under the impression that I could do everything I want to do through INPA and NCSExpert.

Tampa330i
01-26-2011, 08:15 PM
You can do everything and more in INPA and NCSExpert. DIS is a more user-friendly tool, but the setup of it is hardly user friendly. You can install DIS if you want to see what it's like, it's still interesting. Those commands only apply to DIS. You can do diagnosis and coding in either.

az3579
01-29-2011, 08:32 AM
NCS-Expert gets installed as part of INPA, correct?
My laptop won't run NCS-Expert - it tells me it's not compatible with my version of Windows. Did a little digging and found that it won't work with Win7 x64 without using VMWare running a 32-bit operating system.
No problem with that, as the cheapo laptop I ordered for use with this will run XP or Win7 32-bit (depending on the mood). But, I just want to make sure I have NCS-Expert installed as a part of INPA.

Here is my BMW Standard Tools folder:

Tampa330i
01-29-2011, 09:18 AM
That is correct, NCSExpert is part of the tools installed. I've got 32bit 7 on my netbook, so I never came across that problem, good to know. I think it works fine in xp. When I ran the first installer, I think I had to use compatibility mode to win xp sp3. There are so many steps and little tangents this project goes off into, it's hard to remember what I did at each step. Some steps took me days to figure out. I've read pretty much every thread in the diagnostic software section on bf.c, some several times. I have a folder full of pdfs, text files with codes, word docs, all stuff related to it.
I may, if I get bored, try to build a vmware box with this stuff installed and just hand out the vm file. It'll take a little time, but I can run through an installation a second time along with yours so it's easier to figure out what needs to be done next. There's a registry edit you need to do and I can't remember it or where I found it. I am still at the key that needs to be changed in regedit on the netbook, so I know where it is and what it needs to look like, but I don't remember which one I changed. The location was different in win 7, as my directions were for xp and I had to dig for it.

az3579
01-29-2011, 09:39 AM
When I ran the first installer, I think I had to use compatibility mode to win xp sp3.

Yes, I had to do this as well. This is probably the case for any version of Windows 7 be it 32- or 64-bit.

There are so many steps and little tangents this project goes off into, it's hard to remember what I did at each step. Some steps took me days to figure out. I've read pretty much every thread in the diagnostic software section on bf.c, some several times. I have a folder full of pdfs, text files with codes, word docs, all stuff related to it.

I pretty much downloaded all of the available software from that site with the files, just in case I needed them. Took ages because of the stupid waiting mechanism, but finally got it all. That includes the documentation files (all of the pdfs available on there).

I may, if I get bored, try to build a vmware box with this stuff installed and just hand out the vm file. It'll take a little time, but I can run through an installation a second time along with yours so it's easier to figure out what needs to be done next. There's a registry edit you need to do and I can't remember it or where I found it. I am still at the key that needs to be changed in regedit on the netbook, so I know where it is and what it needs to look like, but I don't remember which one I changed. The location was different in win 7, as my directions were for xp and I had to dig for it.

I'm creating a document for a fresh install just in case the vm gets lost, or whatever. I definitely wouldn't want to go through that research again, and quite honestly, I'm having a hard time piecing together "what else" has to be done, because so far it's seeming pretty straightforward. That's why I'm getting nervous; you are saying you had to check a million different documents and tweak a lot of other things, but I'm not seeing a lot of that on the "how to set up" threads. Perhaps our definitions are a little different?

I won't find out until I get my cable. It's only two states away, so I'm not understanding why I don't have it yet. I ordered it on Wednesday.
I'm anxious to get this thing working...

Tampa330i
01-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes, the waiting on that site was extremely annoying. I also did a full DIS install first, not knowing about INPA or any software at the time & got it not from that site, but it was v39 I downloaded elsewhere with it's own set of instructions that didn't work. Once I realized DIS is weaker, harder to setup, and found that part of diagnosing DIS not working is making INPA work, I concentrated on making INPA work. It's hard to remember what required changes because the EDIABAS app needs to run on windows while the DIS vmware is running - there's some extra things you need to do for DIS to work. All of this stuff I didn't know until I ran into the problem at that time. Not to mention I didn't know if my cable was even going to work, and when it did work only half-worked to start. DIS also took up a lot of time because it runs like molasses.

az3579
01-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Yes, the waiting on that site was extremely annoying. I also did a full DIS install first, not knowing about INPA or any software at the time & got it not from that site, but it was v39 I downloaded elsewhere with it's own set of instructions that didn't work. Once I realized DIS is weaker, harder to setup, and found that part of diagnosing DIS not working is making INPA work, I concentrated on making INPA work. It's hard to remember what required changes because the EDIABAS app needs to run on windows while the DIS vmware is running - there's some extra things you need to do for DIS to work. All of this stuff I didn't know until I ran into the problem at that time. Not to mention I didn't know if my cable was even going to work, and when it did work only half-worked to start. DIS also took up a lot of time because it runs like molasses.

So, is DIS even necessary? If INPA and NCS-Expert do all you need, should I bother setting up DIS?

Tampa330i
01-30-2011, 08:28 AM
DIS is not tied to INPA or NCSExpert in any way. It's a completely different diagnostic system. INPA has to be installed in addition because you need the EDIABAS app running for any communication with the car - it's the car's "language". The only reason this has to be done is because we don't have a real GT1 box with DIS on it or a diagnostic head (which I believe runs EDIABAS, not the GT1 box itself). After going through it, I wouldn't bother with DIS because it's such a massive pain to setup and get working. It is interesting to see, and a challenge to make it work, but essentially worthless if you know how to use INPA/NCS. DIS in a nutshell = diagnosis and coding by way of point and click, limited to what DIS is built for - a dealer. I didn't even know what INPA was when I first started setting DIS up, who knew there were multiple apps that can connect to the car. You can read far more in INPA and code far more in NCSExpert, they just aren't 'user friendly'. They're factory tools built likely in-house by BMW specifically for factory coding and testing by engineers. Every single entry in an NCSExpert trace file is in cryptic shortened German. The menus in NCSExpert make no sense whatsoever to the average person not neck deep in research on it and it'd be virtually impossible to make it work without some guidance. A lot of INPA is in English, which is nice.

I'd focus purely on making INPA work first. Once INPA is working 100%, I can get NCSExpert working for you pretty quick. Going off pdfs and other people's talk about it only made it more confusing. Having someone friendly who could have walked me through the coding process would have helped immensely. Coding is where you get into dangerous territory, because you're actually writing to the ecus. The first time I tried to code I was shaking like a leaf, praying I didn't destroy one. Once it finished I went from terrified to ecstatic in a single second as 2 weeks worth of failure finally paid off. This project is one of the coolest things I've ever done with a computer, and the reward is a virtually free coder/reader you can use anywhere on pretty much any 2002-2006 BMW, more if you get and ADS adapter.

az3579
02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
I have the laptop fully up and running now. Running into hurdles though (9 and 0 keys on keyboard don't work, left and right trackpoint buttons are very hard to press (due to some idiot spilling some sticky crap all over), hard drive sounds like it's clicking [F!@#$%^^%$], and a portion of the EDIABAS/INPA install is giving me problems. Not off to a good start.

I know I once found an awesome install doc on how to install the INPA/NCSExpert but I'm an idiot and forgot to bookmark it. Now I can't find it. :mad

Tampa330i
02-08-2011, 02:35 AM
INSTALLING INPA v5.02/EDIABAS v6.4.7
After downloading the software, use WinRAR to unzip the files and save them to
your desktop. You will not be able to install the program directly from your desktop
or hard drive however, as it is designed to be installed from media (i.e. DVD) and
files will not self-extract if not installed this way, resulting in a “Missing
C:\DOCUMENTS LZH archive file “message and installation aborting.
Once extracted to your desktop, copy the files to a DVD which will be used to install
the software, then navigate to the DVD and open the “Program installation” folder.
Next, choose the “Setup BMW Standard Tools” .exe file and run it to install the
base program – just follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation and
restart your computer when you are prompted after installation has been completed.
After the computer has re-started, go back to the DVD, open the “Referenz” folder
and then the “INSTALL” folder it contains. Run the Instaprog,exe program to install
the software, being careful to select the appropriate language, interface type and
Standard BMW rectification programs file appropriate to your country and vehicle.
The software will install from there. If this is the first time you have installed
INPA/EDIABAS, you will also need to read and follow directions for installing
appropriate path commands and hardware settings which are detailed in the INPA
setup guide, which can be found in the NCS folder of the 4shared site and
downloaded by using the password “wilma82” (which is case-sensitive and should
be typed without quote marks).

That's from the readme pdf on the image you install inpa from.

For the region, go with BMW somethingorother USA - can't remember what it says exactly but there is a UK one as well. That sucks about the laptop, did they not tell you those things were wrong before buying?

az3579
02-08-2011, 02:56 AM
For the region, go with BMW somethingorother USA - can't remember what it says exactly but there is a UK one as well.

I selected US but it crashes out with multiple errors. I'll get screenies up of them when I get home from work.

That sucks about the laptop, did they not tell you those things were wrong before buying?

No. All reputable sellers, too. :(
The following parts were purchased separately: keyboard, wifi card, hard drive.

Tampa330i
02-08-2011, 03:18 AM
That sucks. Hopefully we can get past the errors. I'll seldom be on this week, going to have company from out of town. If I don't answer quick enough, start up a thread on bf.c in diagnostics. You're using windows 7 32 bit now and running the first exe in xp sp3 compatibility mode, correct?

az3579
02-08-2011, 08:29 AM
That sucks. Hopefully we can get past the errors. I'll seldom be on this week, going to have company from out of town. If I don't answer quick enough, start up a thread on bf.c in diagnostics. You're using windows 7 32 bit now and running the first exe in xp sp3 compatibility mode, correct?

Right.

Darn, picked the wrong week to start then if you're not gonna be around. lol
I was going to text you but I didn't want to intrude.

az3579
02-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Okay, having a bit of trouble getting the full software installed.
Whenever I try to install using the Instprog.exe file, I can make it through the menus fine until it reaches the point where it allows me to select what to install. I'm supposed to be checking the "Complete" boxes next to EDIABAS and INPA, but these boxes are greyed out and the only box available is "update". Even when I haven't installed BMW Standard Tools suite first, this is greyed out and it doesn't allow me to select these boxes. Any idea why?

az3579
02-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Got INPA/EDIABAS/NCS-Expert installed. Made some progress today; I got INPA to communicate with some of the modules in the car. I was able to control my radio functions from INPA, and was able to see what modules were active when I activated my sunroof switch. I tested instrument cluster lights, individual gauges; these are things I was able to do, but not much else. It didn't communicate with about 8/10 things I tried to access, unfortunately.

Also, I have absolutely no idea how to use NCS-Expert to code anything; it's all extremely cryptic and is in German, so I don't know how much of it I will be able to figure out. I still can't get the battery and ignition things to come on in INPA despite the soldering I had to do on the cable (which had a FT232BL chip; I couldn't find any useful information on what had to be done to this particular chipset as most of the ones used were FT232RL's). I soldered pins 7+8 together and is ohmmeter tested to be a good solder joint.

Dunno where you went but sure could use a bit of help; all the Google searching in the world (and Bf.c searching) isn't helping me at all here...

Tampa330i
02-18-2011, 05:37 AM
I'm still not sure on that chip, I don't remember seeing it at all looking for info on mine. The batt and ignition need to be "on" as far as inpa is concerned. Mine shows on when my cable is plugged into the usb port with or without the car plugged in on the obd2 end. This was working before I soldered my cable, I believe. You may have to download the chip utility from ft. Do you have the URL where you got your drivers? That's so weird you can read the radio, but not the engine. I could read the engine and transmission, but nothing else (1 k line for those, 1 for everything else). I did download a utility from ft called FT Prog 1.12 and made some changes to chip - as I recall this may have been what makes the ignition and batt light up. I'd like to see which drivers you have, then we can see if this app will work with it. Appologies for not being around for a while - I had a friend from out of town visiting, so I had a 10 day vacation. Also, I just got an xbox.

az3579
02-18-2011, 08:48 AM
I have the software to program the chip, but could not find any information whatsoever on how to program the chip or what to change on it...

Tampa330i
02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
DS and RL, I believe, both need to be inverted via a checkbox on the hardware section. Are you using the same thing, FT Prog? I'll have to plug my cable in at home and see how I got to those, I don't think i ever found a guide on how to set them, just which ones needed to be set. I'll try and check in the morning, but I'm limited on time because of work.

az3579
02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm trying to find these values that you're referring to, but can't.
This is my FT_Prog 1.12 screen. I had to hit Scan and Parse for it to even find the cable, and this is what it brought up.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Misc/FT_Prog_screen.jpg

Where can I find these options???
I downloaded the drivers from somewhere but don't remember where. The drivers I used were from a zip file called CDM20808.zip.

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I think you use MProg to do the inverting, right?

You'll invert the RI & DSR signals, save, and then execute or whatever. I had the RL chip though, so I dunno if that's the same for you...

az3579
02-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Even with MProg I have absolutely no idea where to find these options. They are literally nowhere to be found...
I have the FT232BL chipset. I can't seem to find any useful info on it, either.

Here is a screenshot of the MProg main window with my cable attached:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Misc/MProgMain.jpg

Am I blind or are the options really not there?????

ryankokesh
02-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Edit: I was totally wrong - don't pay attention to what I said before! :)

So you want to go to tools, and then "read and parse"

I used this:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1505990

az3579
02-25-2011, 02:51 AM
THANK YOU! That's what I was looking for but couldn't find!
My cable doesn't have those options in the software though... I really don't want to buy another cable to be honest.

I'm going to try to do the mod with the resistors a little later on the weekend to see if that does the trick.

ryankokesh
02-25-2011, 01:15 PM
That should do it for you, I'd imagine...

az3579
02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
That should do it for you, I'd imagine...

This doesn't change the fact, though, that the software won't pick up the correct chipset/options for my cable. Would this resistor mod eliminate the need for that?

Tampa330i
03-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Sorry it took so long to get this up, I couldn't find my cable. Here's my ftprog config for the chip:

http://i56.tinypic.com/23kst1v.jpg

az3579
03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
This doesn't change the fact, though, that the software won't pick up the correct chipset/options for my cable. Would this resistor mod eliminate the need for that?

Sorry, I have to bump this question. I am planning on modding the cable tonight and don't want to go through the hassle of digging out my resistors and soldering all of that in if it isn't going eliminate the need to change programming options. I think it just won't do it if I still have to program it, as it doesn't even show up in the options to be able to change all of that.

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Let me look over the instructions for that cable again tonight. It really should work I think...

Question though- did you install any drivers for it, or does the computer at least recognize it? (sorry if you already answered that- I'm on my phone)

az3579
03-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes I've installed drivers. It is recognized.

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Hmmm...interesting...

I'm prolly not going to have a good answer for this. I'll do my best and try and google something up for you though :)

az3579
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
I just tried to solder the circuit and am finding it impossible to solder the DSR pin on the 232BL chip. Absolutely impossible; it is way too small to solder without bridging onto the pins next to it. I don't know how the hell that guy on the Bf.c thread got it so perfect. You must have the tiniest soldering iron, three hands, and eyesight far beyond the capabilities of a human to solder such a small space.............
I spent a good hour on that one pin alone, not counting the thirty or so minutes of frantically trying to find a comparable transistor to use because the one specified in the thread wasn't carried by RadioShack. Oh, and of course, that pin is now completely useless as it broke free from the circuit board while I was trying to remove the bridge between it and the pin next to it for the fifth time.

I cannot believe I'm just going to have to buy another cable. This is ticking me off beyond belief.

danewilson77
03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Sorry to hear BP. You'll get it.....as I know you're not going to let this beat you now. You're too far into it.

ryankokesh
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear BP. You'll get it.....as I know you're not going to let this beat you now. You're too far into it.

+1
I'm probably the worlds worst solderer, and it was pretty easy to solder the two things together on the rl chip. It should be a much more enjoyable project for you once you get that one.

az3579
03-02-2011, 02:39 AM
+1
I'm probably the worlds worst solderer, and it was pretty easy to solder the two things together on the rl chip. It should be a much more enjoyable project for you once you get that one.

Unfortunately it's not going to happen. That one pin is now ruined.

I bit the bullet and ordered another cable that I'm told has the FT232RL chip in it. Worst part is, it's in China, so with standard shipping it would take weeks to get here. So, of course, I paid for expedited shipping, bringing the total to nearly $30~! :crying

danewilson77
03-02-2011, 04:42 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered another cable that I'm told has the FT232RL chip in it. Worst part is, it's in China, so with standard shipping it would take weeks to get here. So, of course, I paid for expedited shipping, bringing the total to nearly $30~! :crying

Damn. Bp. Winning!

az3579
03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Damn. Bp. Winning!

Well, I have two options: win or fail. Must win. :)

spencers
03-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Where from? I've been meaning to delve down this rabbit hole for some time.

az3579
03-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Where from? I've been meaning to delve down this rabbit hole for some time.

I bought the cable from a seller on eBay named easybid2000. I did a Google and some people confirmed that they were shipping cables with the 232RL chip. The most recent of these posts was from January, which is recent enough, so I jumped on it.

I would have gotten it from ECS tuning as that's where Tampa got it from and that's confirmed to be RL, but they were on order and wouldn't have arrived until I was already in Florida on vacation.

spencers
03-03-2011, 12:50 AM
I bought the cable from a seller on eBay named easybid2000. I did a Google and some people confirmed that they were shipping cables with the 232RL chip. The most recent of these posts was from January, which is recent enough, so I jumped on it.

I would have gotten it from ECS tuning as that's where Tampa got it from and that's confirmed to be RL, but they were on order and wouldn't have arrived until I was already in Florida on vacation.

Thanks. I went ahead and installed DIS v.44. This is on my Macbook Pro via Bootcamp with Windows 7 installed. Success! Now I need to pick up a cable. :)

Does year model of E46 make a difference on which cable is needed? The vehicle I'll be using this on is a 2001. I guess what I'm asking is will I need the cheaper VAGcom 409.1 cable that easybid2000 has listed, or the VAG K+CAN 1.4, or a different one?

az3579
03-03-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but you might need the ADS interface as well... Does your car have the round diagnostic connector in the engine compartment or does it only have the OBD-II connector under the dash?

spencers
03-03-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm not 100% sure, but you might need the ADS interface as well... Does your car have the round diagnostic connector in the engine compartment or does it only have the OBD-II connector under the dash?

It only has the obd2 under the dash.

Crickett
03-03-2011, 10:02 AM
I am soooo doing this! Tweaking settings & making hardware & software work is at the core of nearly all of my hobbies! I've got an old Gateway laptop not doing anything that should make a perfect BMW diagnostic PC (I'll also install the TIS I have in a VM now).

Anybody see any reason this cable (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2FUSB-VAG-OBD-2-KKL-409-1-Interface-409-black-FT232RL-%2F170610652853%3Fpt%3DMotors_Automotive_Tools%26h ash%3Ditem27b92ff6b5) wouldn't work?

az3579
03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
It only has the obd2 under the dash.

Then the cable below *should* work...

Anybody see any reason this cable (http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2FUSB-VAG-OBD-2-KKL-409-1-Interface-409-black-FT232RL-%2F170610652853%3Fpt%3DMotors_Automotive_Tools%26h ash%3Ditem27b92ff6b5) wouldn't work?

Nope, that cable should be good to go. It's got the correct chipset.

iZHP
03-04-2011, 08:11 AM
that cable says for VW/Audi?? Will it work with our cars?

Crickett
03-04-2011, 08:31 AM
That's what I was wondering, but I wouldn't be surprised, all being German & all . . .

az3579
03-04-2011, 08:44 AM

That's what I was wondering, but I wouldn't be surprised, all being German & all . . .

This is why the cable has to be modified. The modification allows it to be used on the BMW. Otherwise, it won't work as-is.
What chipset you get is what determines how much the cable has to be modified. If it's the correct chipset (FT232RL) then all you have to do is solder two pins together, and change a couple of options in a program that allows you to change settings on the chipset, and you're done. If it's the BL or other chipset, then you have to add resistors, a transistor, and do a bit more soldering.

iZHP
03-04-2011, 09:23 AM
i just ended up paying a bit more for a new cable that's DIS ready (already modified) :)

spencers
03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
This is why the cable has to be modified. The modification allows it to be used on the BMW. Otherwise, it won't work as-is.
What chipset you get is what determines how much the cable has to be modified. If it's the correct chipset (FT232RL) then all you have to do is solder two pins together, and change a couple of options in a program that allows you to change settings on the chipset, and you're done. If it's the BL or other chipset, then you have to add resistors, a transistor, and do a bit more soldering.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
I have DIS set up inside a VM on Windows 7 (on my Macbook) just waiting for a cable. Good lord it was easy to install! I don't see how people have trouble doing that. I'll have to get around to sourcing a cable soon. That might be where it gets tricky. :)

iZHP
03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
I have DIS set up inside a VM on Windows 7 (on my Macbook) just waiting for a cable. Good lord it was easy to install! I don't see how people have trouble doing that. I'll have to get around to sourcing a cable soon. That might be where it gets tricky. :)

I'm debating getting a beater laptop like BP, or just using my MacBook Pro via vmware fusion. Any advantage (or less setup/hassle) using a native Windows machine?

spencers
03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm debating getting a beater laptop like BP, or just using my MacBook Pro via vmware fusion. Any advantage (or less setup/hassle) using a native Windows machine?
I thought about picking up an IBM T30 or T25 to build out a diagnostic laptop, but I figured I would work with what I have. I see no need for a dedicated setup if what I currently have works fine. I also don't foresee myself using it that often. Again, that's only to say if the cable situation works. If it all pans out, I may try my hand with the OSX version of VMware to forego having to boot into BootCamp.

Crickett
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM

I thought about picking up an IBM T30 or T25 to build out a diagnostic laptop, but I figured I would work with what I have. I see no need for a dedicated setup if what I currently have works fine. I also don't foresee myself using it that often. Again, that's only to say if the cable situation works. If it all pans out, I may try my hand with the OSX version of VMware to forego having to boot into BootCamp.
I'd say it's probably best to use what you have (can't beat the price of free!), but the only annoyance I'd see w/using a Mac & BootCamp, like spencers said, is having to reboot to get into Winmode . . . being without your OS X for the amount of time you're using it.

I'd bet decent money that there won't be any (appreciable) performance difference as you'll be running it in a VM either way.

iZHP
03-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I already have all the files, so I'm going to attempt install later (through VMWare Fusion). I'll let you know.

iZHP
03-04-2011, 12:11 PM
I think we need to use a real Windows machine.
First off: We need VMware Workstation 6 (Windows Only) to edit the ethernet settings (Mac Version isn't as advanced).
We need to be on a Windows machine to do the registry editing, while running another virtual machine within Windows. I've had major problems with BootCamp on the Mac before (destroyed whole hard drive, made the computer wacky) so I'm looking for a craptop.

az3579
03-04-2011, 01:07 PM
I used a dedicated computer for multiple reasons:

1) Much smaller size. If I push back my seat all the way in the car, even the dedicated machine (12." wide-screen) barely fits between me and the steering wheel with the lid open. My main laptop is a ThinkPad T400, and while not massive, it still isn't as easy to "fit" in the car with me while I'm using it.
2) Much lighter weight. This thing weighs almost nothing at all. My ThinkPad is significantly heavier, once again because it is not an ultraportable.
3) I can reimage the machine at will. If I have a problem with software or a driver and want to uninstall it, it won't always be a 100% clean uninstall no matter what I do, so it's easier for me to just hit the reimage process and have a fresh new Windows to work with in the matter of a few minutes. I do not want to reimage my ThinkPad just because I mucked something up with the software. I also do not want to use it as a test bed for anything as it is my primary-use computer at home.

spencers
03-04-2011, 02:11 PM
I think we need to use a real Windows machine.
First off: We need VMware Workstation 6 (Windows Only) to edit the ethernet settings (Mac Version isn't as advanced).
We need to be on a Windows machine to do the registry editing, while running another virtual machine within Windows. I've had major problems with BootCamp on the Mac before (destroyed whole hard drive, made the computer wacky) so I'm looking for a craptop.

Good info. I think I'm running the latest version of VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 and I got DIS running fine.
To be honest, I've never had a major problem like that with BootCamp, and I've been using it since the beta days. Just make sure you have your Mac OSX partition backed up with Time Machine and you'd be protected should anything go wrong!

spencers
03-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Progress! Got a USB obd2 cable. Oddly enough, my pops had one and brought it to me today. Luckily it has the FT232RL chip in it. Unfortunately my solder and solder gun aren't up to standard so the pin modifying will have to wait.
Also got EDIABAS and INPA installed. I used M_prog to modify the cable's chipset. Everything is ready, just gotta solder the pins to test it with the car. :)

Tampa330i
03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
I believe you need windows in order to run the ediabas app. Regardless of using INPA/NCS or DIS, ediabas needs to be running to communicate on any level. I'd advise against DIS unless you have a lot of time to spend tweaking, as INPA/NCS are far easier to get working. Also, DIS has limited capabilities. For a Mac, I'd do a vmware box with windows xp or 7, then run INPA/NCS on that.

Tampa330i
03-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Progress! Got a USB obd2 cable. Oddly enough, my pops had one and brought it to me today. Luckily it has the FT232RL chip in it. Unfortunately my solder and solder gun aren't up to standard so the pin modifying will have to wait.
Also got EDIABAS and INPA installed. I used M_prog to modify the cable's chipset. Everything is ready, just gotta solder the pins to test it with the car. :)

You can already test it at this point. Plug it in an check engine/transmission - they should both work, but that's it without modifying the cable.

ASenna
03-05-2011, 11:04 PM
I have INPA, DIS and SSS/Progman running on my Lenovo T60 with Win 7. A lot of good info here > http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Tampa330i
03-06-2011, 07:33 AM
That's where I got most if not all of my info, bf.c. A couple guys there know this stuff really well.

MasterC17
03-06-2011, 11:13 AM
With INPA can you change when the electric fan turns on or anything of the sort? Thanks :)

spencers
03-06-2011, 06:14 PM
You can already test it at this point. Plug it in an check engine/transmission - they should both work, but that's it without modifying the cable.

Well..... I purposely failed to mention that while attempting to solder, I unsoldered the wire going to pin 7. I'll have to source a better solder gun and attempt again. Until then, my cable is inoperable. :)

ASenna
03-06-2011, 07:46 PM
If a mafiosa member can solder surface-mount components, I have a OB2-shop.eu KKL USB KKL interface kit for the postage.

Tampa330i
03-06-2011, 07:58 PM
With INPA can you change when the electric fan turns on or anything of the sort? Thanks :)

Not with INPA, but possibly with NCS Expert. I haven't fully explored either, but the only thing I've seen changed from INPA is clearing errors or service indicators. NCS lets you change the value of just about anything in any module you can connect to. For example, high beam xenons on with halogens and fog lights at the same time. I'm pretty sure that's impossible in DIS/SSS, but I did it in NCS. On another note, you can likely turn the fan on through INPA, for testing purposes.

iZHP
03-07-2011, 09:42 AM
I have GT1/DIS software running on my MacBook now via BootCamp. Re-installed and the partitioning is a little strange but worked. I have the GT1 virtual machine running...so when my cable arrives, should this connect okay? What else needs to be done to be able to communicate/program the car?

spencers
03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I have GT1/DIS software running on my MacBook now via BootCamp. Re-installed and the partitioning is a little strange but worked. I have the GT1 virtual machine running...so when my cable arrives, should this connect okay? What else needs to be done to be able to communicate/program the car?

Depending on the cable, you might have to solder pins like I had to. I haven't been able to test yet, but from what I understand, I think EDIABAS/INPA need to be operable with the cable before you get GT1/DIS working with the cable.

iZHP
03-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Depending on the cable, you might have to solder pins like I had to. I haven't been able to test yet, but from what I understand, I think EDIABAS/INPA need to be operable with the cable before you get GT1/DIS working with the cable.

Alright, so far INPA is giving me an initialization error...I'll have to check this out once I get the cable...

az3579
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
PROGRESS!

I received the "correct" cable I ordered with the FT232RL chipset. Inverted the signals, soldered the pins, and BAM, communication with the engine management.
The proof:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/DIYs/BMW%20Diagnostic%20Software/Untitled.jpg

The moral of the story: Buy the correct cable.
Don't go messing around with the wrong cable because it's more work than is necessary to get it to work. With the simple 7+8 pin solder bridge and the signal inversion, I was able to get this thing working instantly.

Now I hope to get SSS Progman working so I could program the options I want!

danewilson77
03-09-2011, 03:56 AM
Well done BP...

spencers
03-09-2011, 07:37 AM
PROGRESS!
I received the "correct" cable I ordered with the FT232RL chipset. Inverted the signals, soldered the pins, and BAM, communication with the engine management.
Rock on! I'm still waiting for a friend to come solder the pins. Screenshot looks good!

Tampa330i
03-09-2011, 01:38 PM
PROGRESS!

The proof:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/DIYs/BMW%20Diagnostic%20Software/Untitled.jpg

Don't go messing around with the wrong cable because it's more work than is necessary to get it to work. With the simple 7+8 pin solder bridge and the signal inversion, I was able to get this thing working instantly.

Now I hope to get SSS Program working so I could program the options I want!

Nice! Do you have a different version of DIS than what was on that bf.c post? What option are you trying to change? If you need help with NCS Expert I'm available, you'll probably want some one on one help with that if you use it. It really is a lot easier than DIS once you see it done.

Tampa330i
03-09-2011, 01:50 PM

A lot. First, you need the drivers for your cable to work. Then you need to modify the cable and do the hardware inversion. You'll also need to monkey with the vmware networking settings - no idea if you can even do this without vmware (and of course it won't work if you don't have a pc running ediabas on the same network as the gt1 box). You'll then need to configure both sides of the ediabas server so your pc can talk to the gt1 box. Unless you can find the INPA suite specifically for a mac, you'll need a windows box running ediabas. You'll also want INPA to test connectivity before even thinking about DIS. You'll also need about a week worth of reading endless pdf files and forums to get DIS working.

az3579
03-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I will definitely need some help figuring NCS Expert out. May I call you later?

Tampa330i
03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Sure, I'll be around. Do you have the profiles for NCS yet? If not I think you can get em from threads on bf.c. You need 2 profiles, one for reading/key coding and one for writing. I think the default one "expert mode" is setup to write.

az3579
03-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I don't know anything about NCS yet, so I would assume that I don't have the profiles...

spencers
03-13-2011, 10:40 AM
HUMBUG!!!
I just figured out my issue. After buying a solder gun and soldering pins 7 & 8, I wasted all day today only to figure out my cable is junk! It's an ELM327 cable even though it has a FT232RL chip on it.
http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/1018
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/8273/obdiiusbelm2.jpg (http://img696.imageshack.us/i/obdiiusbelm2.jpg/)

Proper VAG-COM ordered!
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7310/asdfun.jpg (http://img145.imageshack.us/i/asdfun.jpg/)

Tampa330i
03-15-2011, 03:32 AM
^ There ya go! I got mine at ECS out of pure curiosity, then it turned into a crusade for the holy grail of free coding after I heard about all this software. I know for sure this one works: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Tools/ES6928/ . They're cheaper on ebay, but I had no idea until long after I bought it.

spencers
03-15-2011, 05:04 AM
^ There ya go! I got mine at ECS out of pure curiosity, then it turned into a crusade for the holy grail of free coding after I heard about all this software. I know for sure this one works: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Tools/ES6928/ . They're cheaper on ebay, but I had no idea until long after I bought it.

Yep! I formatted and installed XP, EDIABAS/INPA, DIS/GT1 in VMWare, and SSS/Progman in VMWare. All programs start wonderfully, just waiting on that cable now.

Marcus-SanDiego
03-15-2011, 06:50 AM

Jim, feel free to post a link to eBay so that people don't overspend on the cable.

Tampa330i
03-16-2011, 04:30 AM
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574947307&toolid=10001&campid=5336776893&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2FCar-Vag-com-Cable-409-1-Usb-OBD2-kkl-VW-Audi-Seat-Skoda-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9c0ab50aQQitemZ32044 5527306QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools is an example, but none of the people selling these are listing the chip in the auction, so you'd have to check with the seller first to make sure it's the right one. It has to be FT232RL.

ryankokesh
03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
PROGRESS!

The proof:

Now I hope to get SSS Progman working so I could program the options I want!

Nice! Glad to hear you're up and running. My understanding is that ncs is much easier to get set up, but the initial learning curve with it is steeper. Once you get it though, it's a breeze. It's nothing more than editing text-based preference files. Good luck!

Tampa330i
03-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Nice! Glad to hear you're up and running. My understanding is that ncs is much easier to get set up, but the initial learning curve with it is steeper. Once you get it though, it's a breeze. It's nothing more than editing text-based preference files. Good luck!

Yup, you pretty much read an ecu, it dumps to a file, open it in notepad and change whatever you want changed, then write it back to the ecu. Turn the key to off for 10 seconds, turn back to 2 and it's changed. It'd be tough to guess your way to the correct process to do it, though. Some settings are stored in the 'key/car' setting, and those are changed a different way (which is actually easier). Some settings are key dependent, such as selective locking, so they have to be set on the key memory there as well as enabled in the car.

iZHP
03-19-2011, 06:13 PM
got my cable today :) gonna see how it works out tomorrow.

coldone4
03-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi, new to the forum. I got my blue cable from ebay that works with INPA out of the wrapper. My issue is that I get an initialization error with NCS. Any help would be appreciated.

danewilson77
03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the Mafia. These guys will hook you up.

Droid X! Srs Legitness!

az3579
03-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi, new to the forum. I got my blue cable from ebay that works with INPA out of the wrapper. My issue is that I get an initialization error with NCS. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you sure? Does INPA have the battery and ignition dots black when you have it plugged into the car? If not, it isn't working properly. The soldering of pins 7+8 must be done, so if you haven't done it and it's working with the battery and ignition signals, please post a link to which cable you bought.

Tampa330i
03-20-2011, 07:13 PM
The batt and ignition dots are actually controlled by the hardware inversion to the chip made in fprog. I tested this before I modded my cable. It will make them light up even if the cable isn't plugged into the car, try it :). I never tested reading without the inversion done, but it probably wont work if it doesn't detect batt and ignition. I wouldn't advise messing with NCS until INPA is working 100%. When I go through NCS with az maybe we can make a list of steps. It's not hard, just confusing at first. az - I'm free tomorrow-wed again if you want to call to run through it.

az3579
03-21-2011, 01:40 AM
The batt and ignition dots are actually controlled by the hardware inversion to the chip made in fprog. I tested this before I modded my cable. It will make them light up even if the cable isn't plugged into the car, try it :). I never tested reading without the inversion done, but it probably wont work if it doesn't detect batt and ignition. I wouldn't advise messing with NCS until INPA is working 100%. When I go through NCS with az maybe we can make a list of steps. It's not hard, just confusing at first. az - I'm free tomorrow-wed again if you want to call to run through it.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not going to be available this week at all, and at least until April 5th. These are the last few days of my preparation before I go on vacation, and then I won't have any access to computer-related stuff until I get back. I'll give you a ring when I'm back home...

spencers
03-21-2011, 06:19 AM
If BP isn't available, I should have my cable today if you wouldn't mind talking me through it! I'd have no problem writing up the list of steps.
My first order of business will be to attempt to code my original LCM for xenons.

Edit: I've attached a couple PDFs I found for NCS Expert and WinKFP

az3579
03-21-2011, 07:01 AM
My first order of business will be to attempt to code my original LCM for xenons.

My friend went through the ordeal of having to code new LCM's because the dealer said they couldn't program used ones. I thought this was the case for all BMWs? His is an E39.

spencers
03-21-2011, 07:25 AM
My friend went through the ordeal of having to code new LCM's because the dealer said they couldn't program used ones. I thought this was the case for all BMWs? His is an E39.
The term, "used," can be a little iffy with dealers. TerraPhantm mentioned that I should be able to recode my original LCM, despite it being made before 09/01 (I did not know this before!). Mine is just limited in that it doesn't have the ability for LED taillights (amongst other things I'm not aware of), which became available with the software/hardware on LCM's made past 09/01. As for the "used" term, if the LCM came from another car, the dealer might be a little apprehensive about coding it since the VIN does not match and a tamper dot appears. The VIN is not easily changed unless you have PASoft.

az3579
03-21-2011, 07:28 AM
... if the LCM came from another car, the dealer might be a little apprehensive about coding it since the VIN is not easily changed unless you have PASoft and a tamper dot appears.

That was the issue in my buddy's case. His had to be replaced altogether. Nevermind then.

Good luck with that. I feel really bad that I can't work on this project while I'm on vacation, but I won't really care all that much once I'm off the plane. :biggrin

spencers
03-21-2011, 02:54 PM
http://184.72.239.143/mu/ae322a1b-d6f1-7877.jpg
Cable came in today and I soldered pins 7&8, inverted the signals and....
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3279/infosf.jpg
Bingo!

Put my original LCM back in the car, did a little magic with NCS Expert, and got it coded for xenons! No more tamper dot. :)
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6343/decoder1blocked.jpg

iZHP
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
My cable seems to be working with INPA but I'm having trouble with GT1 and the diaghead. With ignition off, it says off in INPA, then when I turn on the car, it changes to ignition on in INPA so it must be communicating...

spencers
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Which tutorial did you follow for GT1? I had to make some additional changes via a couple tutorials to finally get DIS working today.

Start in the middle of page 8 on the larger PDF.
Start on page 1 on the smaller PDF.

iZHP
03-22-2011, 06:32 PM
I followed bimmerfest and the cable also came with the drivers CD with a lot of other software and video instructions and I got stuck at the point where I have to confirm the remote host and port in UNIX under EDIABAS.ini

spencers
03-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I followed bimmerfest and the cable also came with the drivers CD with a lot of other software and video instructions and I got stuck at the point where I have to confirm the remote host and port in UNIX under EDIABAS.ini

I could never get anything to come up for the part that says type: "vi EDIABAS.ini"
So I skipped that part and continued on... Worked regardless of skipping that part.

I must say though, that when I followed the directions of the smaller PDF to "Set vm off" and "Change translator to FISTER", it finally started working.

Tampa330i
03-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Nice job spencers, I never did use the decoder though. As for vi - when you vi ediabas.ini you have to be in the directory ediabas.ini is stored in, or type the full path after vi. Then to navigate, you'll need some basic vi commands, like these: http://staff.washington.edu/rells/R110/ . I gave up on DIS once INPA and NCS were working. If the settings on the ediabas.ini file are already correct, then there is no need to modify it. Oh yeah, this has to be done from command line of course, as root. CTRL+ALT+F1 will get you there. Once you're done editing, type init 6 to reboot, or init 0 to shut down.

VA//M3
03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Nice job spencers, I never did use the decoder though. As for vi - when you vi ediabas.ini you have to be in the directory ediabas.ini is stored in, or type the full path after vi. Then to navigate, you'll need some basic vi commands, like these: http://staff.washington.edu/rells/R110/ . I gave up on DIS once INPA and NCS were working. If the settings on the ediabas.ini file are already correct, then there is no need to modify it. Oh yeah, this has to be done from command line of course, as root. CTRL+ALT+F1 will get you there. Once you're done editing, type init 6 to reboot, or init 0 to shut down.

If you're still wanting to have DIS running get a free logmein account set it up on your laptop and i will remotely set it up for you! It is definitely worth it!

az3579
03-30-2011, 04:04 AM
If you're still wanting to have DIS running get a free logmein account set it up on your laptop and i will remotely set it up for you! It is definitely worth it!

You don't need a LogMeIn account to have your computer remoted into. You could temporarily change your password, have them log in and "add" their computer to your list. Then log out, change your password again, and you're golden.

Sent from my DROIDX

Tampa330i
07-01-2011, 04:31 AM
I had to reformat my netbook a while back, and I finally got the CMOS battery replaced so my bios doesn't reset every time I turn it on now. In short, I can actually use my netbook again. I was dreading reinstalling all the software and making all the tweaks to make INPA work again, but it wasn't too bad. It didn't take very long at all until I was back up and running. I didn't rebuild the NCS Expert profiles yet, but I can do that easily enough if needed. So my netbook is available again for anyone in Tampa (or wants to come to Tampa) who needs errors read or features changed.

Tampa330i
03-31-2013, 12:30 AM
In the above post, replace Tampa with Holiday, FL. Easily enough indeed Tampa, unless you've forgotten how to do it! I can't find any pictures of my light modifications on here, but I swear I posted it. I have to relearn NCSExpert to undo the changes I made to the headlights, or when I get the new ones... the high beam setting will be a bit much. I thought I posted this but maybe not? All 6 front lights on at the same time on high beam setting:

http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/833b/k53xhxd4d5fnybyfg.jpg

Dave_B
03-31-2013, 11:31 AM
Tried messing with DIS today via a Toshiba T30 dual booted with SSS and DIS.

Used the ethernet to Yellow DK head. DK head see's car (solid green light) but flashing on network to laptop.

After a bit of messing, I decided to try just hooking up my laptop to it and see if would realize there was a network. Nadda... Going to try another yellow DK head in a week or 2.

2kBMW3Series
08-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Hey all, looking for some more insight! I'm trying to set up INPA and NCS Expert...but having a really rough time. This is what greets me whenever I start up INPA:
http://i.imgur.com/Op5HrqK.png

I have no "E46" option. I have no black circles by "Battery" and "Ignition". No idea what to do, been playing with this for the past week...

Also: Currently using Windows 7 64bit, but was linked by a fellow member a 64bit download file of the "BMW Standard Tools", so the fact that I'm running on a 64bit setup doesn't seem to matter very much.

derbo
08-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Can you tell us what steps did you do?