PDA

View Full Version : Angel Eyes Fitment

das boots
07-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Let me start a new thread specifically just on fitment issues. After reading a whole bunch of threads from e46f and the Mafia.....I am down to two distributors of Angel Eyes. I would like to have your personal inputs specifically on fitment issue between Khoalty and Umnitza. I do not know too much more of other distributors of AEs. If you do, please chime in.

I am only on Khoalty and Umnitza since their warranty, product quality and brightness are just about so close. Since possibly both are being produced from the same source in China. However, I have heard of fitment issues with Umnitza. Now, this is just what it is...'heard'. No first hand experience. Did I mention price? Since one is more expensive that the other???? And I mean more expensive. Do not know specifically why theirs cost more......Thanks.

danewilson77
07-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Bimmian has the Weisslichts. That's what I have.

I have had the same rings for 3 years with no issues.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

das boots
07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
That's the other distributor that I could not recall. I will add them to my other two distributors. No fitment problems? The reason I'm skeptical with Umnitza is thier fitment over the Halogen bowl. They look smaller and the AEs are suppose to be fitting right on the rims of the bowl. This has been a long contention discussion in e46fs of Umnitza's fitment.

danewilson77
07-27-2012, 05:59 PM
That's the other distributor that I could not recall. I will add them to my other two distributors. No fitment problems? The reason I'm skeptical with Umnitza is thier fitment over the Halogen bowl. They look smaller and the AEs are suppose to be fitting right on the rims of the bowl. This has been a long contention discussion in e46fs of Umnitza's fitment.

Here's my fitment.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/IMAG1638.jpg

Johnmadd
07-27-2012, 06:23 PM

My umnitza v2's make the auto level at startup just slightly not as smooth but fit tight and my opinion is that I love them. I have the opaque 6000k v2's and they look very good imo, maybe someone will disagree and that's ok.

das boots
07-27-2012, 07:13 PM
DW...that Bimmian looks like a great fitment. And no issues after 3 years???? Hmmmm.....

BTW, here's the fitment issues I've been stating on e46f......especially on thread #9...look how the AEs look small as compared to the rims of the bowl. That is so Unsat.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=932073

Edit: Do you guys remove the whole headlight fixture to install the AEs or can they be done in place????? Also the Weisslicht Clears look nice and the fitment looks great. Prcied right too.

Johnmadd
07-27-2012, 07:48 PM
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/johnmadd1979/20120727_2330171.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/johnmadd1979/20120727_232759.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/johnmadd1979/20120727_232822.jpg

Looks good to me! I just took these with my Samsung galaxy 3s, lol.

danewilson77
07-28-2012, 07:53 AM
DW...that Bimmian looks like a great fitment. And no issues after 3 years???? Hmmmm.....

BTW, here's the fitment issues I've been stating on e46f......especially on thread #9...look how the AEs look small as compared to the rims of the bowl. That is so Unsat.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=932073

Edit: Do you guys remove the whole headlight fixture to install the AEs or can they be done in place????? Also the Weisslicht Clears look nice and the fitment looks great. Prcied right too.

Yeah....I actually bought my Weisslichts from www.jlevisw.com

They are under a different name now http://sv-concepts.com/ and no longer carry the Weisslichts. I was able to pay $130.00 for lifetime guarentee.

Bimmian picked up carrying the Weisslichts.....it's the only place I found (that I know and trust) that carries them. I would inquire as to whether or not the lifetime guarentee option is available. It was an extra $30.00 I believe when I made my purchase.

das boots
07-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks. I will inquire. So I take it that installation can be done in place instead of removing the whole housing?

danewilson77
07-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks. I will inquire. So I take it that installation can be done in place instead of removing the whole housing?

Yes. You just need to remove the lenses.

kakashi169
07-28-2012, 12:32 PM
umzita = good product, poor fitment
khoalty = good fitment, poor quality

i have orion v2s opaque...if u want pictures let me know or u can find it in these forums by me

end of thread.

johnrando
07-28-2012, 08:37 PM
No issues w/my Umnitza's with fitment nor quality.

das boots
07-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes. You just need to remove the lenses.

I agree lenses have to be removed. How about the housing fixture? Just trying to understand what you are trying to say......

Looks like there are different opinions and points of view concerning fitment.....

Crestwood1001
07-29-2012, 03:37 PM
No just lenses

Johnmadd
07-29-2012, 06:07 PM
I agree lenses have to be removed. How about the housing fixture? Just trying to understand what you are trying to say......

Looks like there are different opinions and points of view concerning fitment.....

It's easy man, Google e46 bmw lense diy. I was cautious and nervous when I did it but now I would do it like it's nothing, don't be skeered.

das boots
08-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Ordered Halo Rings from Bimmian's Weisslicht Frost (Opaque) yesterday.,,,,made in Germany.

danewilson77
08-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Ordered Halo Rings from Bimmian's Weisslicht Frost (Opaque) yesterday.,,,,made in Germany.

Nice...

das boots
08-06-2012, 11:26 AM
DW or anybody...is there a DIY somewhere on how to conduct a pre-test on the rings prior to install?

danewilson77
08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
DW or anybody...is there a DIY somewhere on how to conduct a pre-test on the rings prior to install?

Just wire them up, like you would, but just lay them in the engine bay. Nothing official that I know of.

JupiterBMW
08-06-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey boots, I'd be really interested to see some good photos of the halos you ordered. I too am very intrigued. I'm a little skeptical of the quality seeing as how they're so inexpensive compared to the Umnitza V4 (the only ones that I feel are comparable).

Anyway, I think I'm leaning towards the Weisslicht Frost as well. DW, can you confirm they have the ultra white look of the new BMW Halos?

das boots
08-06-2012, 06:27 PM
At first I had only two choices (Umnitza & Khoalty). DW pulled me away to check out the other after he posted his pic. I was mostly after fitment and where were they manufactured. Mostly, after chatting with the rep of Bimmian, they answered all of my questions. After that, I was hooked. So, there nobody else to blame but DW. LOL.

Drop them a line (chat) and they will answer all of your questions. Very friendly reps.

Now, I guess I have to keep up with my son's ribbing for making my ZHP a ricer......

JupiterBMW
08-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Halo rings on a BMW is NOT rice! Its sauerkraut! :rofl

But yeah, I too think we'll have to blame Dane if they don't work out well. Of course, I'll let you be the guinea pig. :biggrin

Johnmadd
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM

Wow , that is a good one :thumbsup

JupiterBMW
08-06-2012, 06:44 PM
You're kidding right? You've never heard that? Please tell me you're kidding... So corny I am!

Johnmadd
08-06-2012, 06:49 PM
You're kidding right? You've never heard that? Please tell me you're kidding... So corny I am!

Nope, lol, never heard that. "Laugh hard I did"

JupiterBMW
08-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Haha, ok, glad I made a LOL.

das boots
08-07-2012, 07:38 AM

But yeah, I too think we'll have to blame Dane if they don't work out well. Of course, I'll let you be the guinea pig. :biggrin

At least, now I have a response to my son when he call it rice. LOL. Yup, it'll be a nice looking guinea pig when it's all done.

das boots
08-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Forgot to post pics of the Weisslicht install. Took my time for a thorough and professional wiring job. Could only work for a few hours at a time over the weekend. Too hot and muggy.

danewilson77
08-21-2012, 04:22 AM
Looks very nice Lawrence.

Crestwood1001
08-21-2012, 07:14 AM
EVERYTHING that I have read about khoalty is wrong. So far I'm have been thrilled with the quality of the kit. Fitment is spot on and they are a great color and extremely bright.
Fitment:
Daytime:
Night:
This is a pic of the light output against the back of my sisters car from about 15 feet away, obviously the camera does nt capture it as bright as it really is....

johnrando
08-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Both look great.

das boots
08-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Looks very nice Lawrence.

Thanks for pointing to the lesser known Halo Ring distributor.

Cadeez
08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Angel eye DIY http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html

I have the Umnitza Orion V2's, love em, no problems after 1.5 years. Easy install, no fittament issues, just clip em on and wire it up

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/jcadell/BMW%20330i%20ZHP/DSCN1006.jpg

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo184/jcadell/BMW%20330i%20ZHP/IMG-20110619-00283.jpg

Cadeez
08-21-2012, 02:56 PM

Just wire them up, like you would, but just lay them in the engine bay. Nothing official that I know of.

As a matter of fact... http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html

danewilson77
08-21-2012, 03:45 PM
As a matter of fact... http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html

LOL...pretty much the pre-install procedure is...."Just wire them up, like you would, but just lay them in the engine bay".

JKO_ZHP
09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
I have (or at least, had) both before. Khoalty's angel eyes are from DEPO and I bought their headlights with the angel eyes installed in them already. Disregarding the quality of the headlights, the angel eyes are bright but not as bright as Umnitza's Orion V2s. Also, theirs is a UU look, not a full OO.

Umnitza....first off, I'd like to say that their customer service is absolute crap. I paid around $40 I think, for the night controller when I ordered the V2s online. When I was having them installed, the guy told me that there was no night controller in the package. I asked them about it, and that's when they told me that they were out of stock and would ship them to me separately once they had more, whenever that might be.

Anyways, there are no fitment issues whatsoever. I guarantee the issues that some people do have are not with the rings, but with Umnitza. They frequently ship customers the wrong sizes. The guy who I had bake my lights open to install them works with Umnitza's referrals told me this, and 4 out of every 10 orders that he gets has something wrong, from a missing part to wrong sizes, etc.

I was one of the lucky ones, my rings were the same uniform size (facelift coupe) and there weren't any faulty LEDs or anything.

Umnitza's Orion V2s:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4wiz6t9hj1r2z3guo2_1280.jpg

Khoalty (DEPO):
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0wlu0xOGr1r2z3guo1_500.jpg

If anyone is interested in having a professional who has worked on over 100 different customers' BMW headlights install angel eyes, shoot me a PM and I will give you his contact info.
He primarily works on E60 headlights and also does custom eyebrows which are way harder than the E46 headlights and I must say, he's a legit pro. You can even see his work featured on Umnitza's Facebook page, they uploaded his custom lights a few days ago.

Crestwood1001
09-10-2012, 04:39 AM
I have (or at least, had) both before. Khoalty's angel eyes are from DEPO and I bought their headlights with the angel eyes installed in them already. Disregarding the quality of the headlights, the angel eyes are bright but not as bright as Umnitza's Orion V2s. Also, theirs is a UU look, not a full OO.

Umnitza....first off, I'd like to say that their customer service is absolute crap. I paid around $40 I think, for the night controller when I ordered the V2s online. When I was having them installed, the guy told me that there was no night controller in the package. I asked them about it, and that's when they told me that they were out of stock and would ship them to me separately once they had more, whenever that might be.

Anyways, there are no fitment issues whatsoever. I guarantee the issues that some people do have are not with the rings, but with Umnitza. They frequently ship customers the wrong sizes. The guy who I had bake my lights open to install them works with Umnitza's referrals told me this, and 4 out of every 10 orders that he gets has something wrong, from a missing part to wrong sizes, etc.

I was one of the lucky ones, my rings were the same uniform size (facelift coupe) and there weren't any faulty LEDs or anything.

Umnitza's Orion V2s:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4wiz6t9hj1r2z3guo2_1280.jpg

Khoalty (DEPO):
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0wlu0xOGr1r2z3guo1_500.jpg

If anyone is interested in having a professional who has worked on over 100 different customers' BMW headlights install angel eyes, shoot me a PM and I will give you his contact info.
He primarily works on E60 headlights and also does custom eyebrows which are way harder than the E46 headlights and I must say, he's a legit pro. You can even see his work featured on Umnitza's Facebook page, they uploaded his custom lights a few days ago.

It's not hard, and by no means is a professional needed. And speaking in terms of circles, IMHO the U shape looks better then a complete circle

Crickett
09-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Can anyone with WeissLichts confirm for me whether the Xenon ring sits flush against the back of the housing (like DW's picture above) or more forward, kinda "floating", as in Bimmian's marketing picture extolling their perfect fit?

http://www.bimmian.com/elements/product.htm/showcase/PHO/ML_090.jpg

danewilson77
09-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Mine sit flush....Mine are Weisslichts? What are you asking?

Crickett
09-10-2012, 09:28 AM
Mine sit flush....Mine are Weisslichts? What are you asking?

I'm basically asking if that marketing picture of the WeissLicht's fitment is incorrect; I assumed they sit flush (as your picture showed) & just wanted real-life confirmation. Thanks!

danewilson77
09-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm basically asking if that marketing picture of the WeissLicht's fitment is incorrect; I assumed they sit flush (as your picture showed) & just wanted real-life confirmation. Thanks!

Yup...mine fit like mine.

nike001
09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Can anyone with WeissLichts confirm for me whether the Xenon ring sits flush against the back of the housing (like DW's picture above) or more forward, kinda "floating", as in Bimmian's marketing picture extolling their perfect fit?

This is BS and they probably made it do this for the 'universal' rings. Mine do the same thing pictured in the universal side when I put the top clip of one of my angel eyes too far in.

danewilson77
09-10-2012, 06:31 PM
This is BS and they probably made it do this for the 'universal' rings. Mine do the same thing pictured in the universal side when I put the top clip of one of my angel eyes too far in.

Ahhh...I see. You guys don't use velcro to keep em flush. Got it...

nike001
09-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Ahhh...I see. You guys don't use velcro to keep em flush. Got it...

Nope. Just use one of the clips they came with and kinda just sit it on the first notch on top of the shroud part. It stays put, but if you go a few more notches in on the clip.. it'll make the angel eye sit how the universal angel eye is sitting

danewilson77
09-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Nope. Just use one of the clips they came with and kinda just sit it on the first notch on top of the shroud part. It stays put, but if you go a few more notches in on the clip.. it'll make the angel eye sit how the universal angel eye is sitting

I have 3 small strips of velcro on mine. Unnoticeable.

nike001
09-10-2012, 07:01 PM
The sticky things that came with the angel eyes?

I tried those too but the glue dried up and they no longer stick to the angel eye

danewilson77
09-11-2012, 01:16 AM
The sticky things that came with the angel eyes?

I tried those too but the glue dried up and they no longer stick to the angel eye

No. The 3M stuff at Lowest.

das boots
09-12-2012, 05:46 AM
I have 3 small strips of velcro on mine. Unnoticeable.

Can you provide a close-up photo on how you did the velcro? I had the same idea. The light bulb did not light up on where to stick the velcro without having them heat up or be invisible......you could provide the answer.

danewilson77
09-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Umm..I will see if I have a pic, THAT closeup.

das boots
09-12-2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks. I really couldn't tell on your photo on page 1.

danewilson77
09-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks. I really couldn't tell on your photo on page 1.

Exactly.....you can't tell, and it works perfectly.

das boots
09-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Exactly.....you can't tell, and it works perfectly.

Were you able to take photo of the invisble velcro? Would that be a propriety intrusion? LOL. BTW...I do still carry my security clearance.

Now that I had the Halo's for a while.....I began to wonder why they did not manufacture a smaller diameter halo for the Bi-Xenons similar to the E90s.....That would be a looker.....

GreenFrog
11-10-2012, 08:29 AM
I have the EAS Auroras and as far as color and quality go, they are superb. The major issue, however, is fitment. Once you clip the angel eyes in place, the black plastic trim that surrounds the interior of the headlights WILL NOT FIT.

The angel eyes will block the top portion of the black trim from sliding back in. I've had my AEs installed for about 1.5 years now and I've been driving without the black trim. I don't know how that affects light output but I haven't had any issues. Still, I'd much prefer to have everything reassembled together.

It really bothers me that after so many years, these aftermarket AE manufacturers still can't produce AEs that fit perfectly. There is always something wrong.

Further, if anyone is in the Dallas area and wants to help me install my AEs fully, please PM me. I don't have mine wired to the glove light, so the lights don't come on/off as I unlock/lock the car. Instead, they come on when the car is on.

I will pay you to help me install my lights completely and fully!

BimmerWill
11-10-2012, 12:35 PM
I have the EAS Auroras and as far as color and quality go, they are superb. The major issue, however, is fitment. Once you clip the angel eyes in place, the black plastic trim that surrounds the interior of the headlights WILL NOT FIT.

The angel eyes will block the top portion of the black trim from sliding back in. I've had my AEs installed for about 1.5 years now and I've been driving without the black trim. I don't know how that affects light output but I haven't had any issues. Still, I'd much prefer to have everything reassembled together.

It really bothers me that after so many years, these aftermarket AE manufacturers still can't produce AEs that fit perfectly. There is always something wrong.

Further, if anyone is in the Dallas area and wants to help me install my AEs fully, please PM me. I don't have mine wired to the glove light, so the lights don't come on/off as I unlock/lock the car. Instead, they come on when the car is on.

I will pay you to help me install my lights completely and fully!

I have the umnitza v2's and didn't have any issue clipping mine in and reinstalling the shroud afterward. Im not sure how the auroras are set up but mine fit just fine. As far as wiring in the remote on function there is a a rubber plug for the firewall in the "drug bin" on the passenger side. Just pull that out and move the insulation to the sideband thread your wire through. Once that's done go around to the passenger side and undo the couple screws that hold the plastic section that the footwell light is molded into reach up with your hand til you find the wire and then tap into the hot wire for the footwell (can't remember what color). You shouldn't have to go in through the glove compartment. It takes some time and the area is a little tight but its fairly easy to do. Ill see if I can find the diy from umnitzas website its more specific on instructions.

Here's a link that shows exactly what you need to do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI95QUH_mP0

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

GreenFrog
11-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks for the link and all. My issue is I can't get the wire to snake through to the passenger side of the car.

I spent an hour or so trying to get everything installed correctly last year but couldn't manage it, so I've been driving my car with a half-baked installation for over the year. I've been lazy and would like to pay someone to do a clean install for me (with the black plastic trim too). I've heard some people say they had to dremel their shroud to get it to fit with the Auroras. That's pretty shitty.

BimmerWill
11-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the link and all. My issue is I can't get the wire to snake through to the passenger side of the car.

I spent an hour or so trying to get everything installed correctly last year but couldn't manage it, so I've been driving my car with a half-baked installation for over the year. I've been lazy and would like to pay someone to do a clean install for me (with the black plastic trim too). I've heard some people say they had to dremel their shroud to get it to fit with the Auroras. That's pretty shitty.

If you were closer I would be happy to help. I didn't have any issue with making my orion v2's fit. Perhaps you could find someone local with experience with the auroras or order a set of the orions.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Nomar06
12-15-2012, 06:15 PM
I installed the Orion V2 opaque from Umnitza and I am having fitment issues on the drivers side. The ring that goes one the xenon side keeps getting hit by the black shroud. I messed with it for about an hour or more and still had issues.

They look great but this is just the icing on the cake after all the issues I had with Umnitza. Let's just say I would rather buy from ebay than purchasing from them again. Horrible cust service!!!

das boots
12-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I hope you have read previous post of the purchases from Bimmian.com for their Weisslichts.......

derbo
01-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Are there any other sources for 4300k AE besides Umnitzas? I'm looking for a more halogen AE..and I'm planning to run the trigger wire to parking lights switched 12V (most likely near the LCM)

BavarianZHP
01-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Are there any other sources for 4300k AE besides Umnitzas? I'm looking for a more halogen AE..and I'm planning to run the trigger wire to parking lights switched 12V (most likely near the LCM)

Weisslicht also sells ambers ones (albeit they only list them for halogen lights - doesn't hurt to ask CS, since you have xenons):

http://www.bimmian.com/PHO/46

Interesting, they now have 131 LED angel eyes... Anyone gotten these yet and how do they compare to the 66 LEDs? Frosted seems the way to go and doesn't have a price increase from clear. If I do get angel eyes I wouldn't want them to be blinding - really curious about these Weisslicht's.

derbo
01-25-2013, 12:37 AM
If you don't want them to be blinding, install a rheostat inline and you can vary the voltage going to the angel eyes.

Thanks, I'll ask bimmian if they have xenon ambers. :)

das boots
01-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Weisslicht also sells ambers ones (albeit they only list them for halogen lights - doesn't hurt to ask CS, since you have xenons):

http://www.bimmian.com/PHO/46

Interesting, they now have 131 LED angel eyes... Anyone gotten these yet and how do they compare to the 66 LEDs? Frosted seems the way to go and doesn't have a price increase from clear. If I do get angel eyes I wouldn't want them to be blinding - really curious about these Weisslicht's.

Well, it looks like now, Bimmian have a new product since the time I purchased from them last year. The Xenons and Halogens have different size and amount of LEDs. That was what I was asking for last year on why they are of same size rings. Wonder if they would just sell replacement rings?

Crickett
01-25-2013, 08:02 AM
[ . . . ]

My thoughts, exactly. I just ordered a set of frosted 66-LED because 1) $$$, & 2) 131 LEDs would probably be unnecessarily bright.

If you don't want them to be blinding, install a rheostat inline and you can vary the voltage going to the angel eyes.

Interesting; I may have to explore this . . .

derbo
01-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Interesting; I may have to explore this . . .

Get a 25Ohm 3watt Rheostat from radio shack and install between the power and relay.

If I find a good halogen colored AE, I plan to install it with AE and a Rheostat. I will most likely use the trigger wire with the LCM so its not always on when the engine is running.

Dave_B
01-25-2013, 11:19 AM
So, I have Halogen lights in my car. Can I do Angel Eyes? Or do they make sets specifically for Halogen vs. Xenon?

To further complicate, I want HID's and refuse to just put bulbs in and go. Retro fit is likely, or purchasing some used Xenon headlights may be the trick. But if I can retrofit HID's with projectors and do AE's with Halogen then I may opt for that.

Sorry for the stupid Newb question.

danewilson77
01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
So, I have Halogen lights in my car. Can I do Angel Eyes? Or do they make sets specifically for Halogen vs. Xenon?

To further complicate, I want HID's and refuse to just put bulbs in and go. Retro fit is likely, or purchasing some used Xenon headlights may be the trick. But if I can retrofit HID's with projectors and do AE's with Halogen then I may opt for that.

Sorry for the stupid Newb question.

If you have halogens or HID's doesn't matter regarding A/E's.

As far as HID conversion goes, someone else will have to chime in. I'm sure it can be done, but $$$.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

derbo
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
If you have halogens or HID's doesn't matter regarding A/E's.

As far as HID conversion goes, someone else will have to chime in. I'm sure it can be done, but $$$.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Dane,

I believe most AE have the same size for halogen and xenons. Weisslicht has in their description that they have a different size ring for xenon projectors for a more exact fit.

Dave,

I'm glad you are going the right way to retrofit and not settling with plug n play hids! :D This is a big topic, and I'm sure you should search around about retrofit projectors in or make a new thread.

Dave_B
01-27-2013, 06:04 AM
I did some more reading after posting. It appears they are DIFFERENT sizes for Halogen AE rings and Xenon AE's.

That being said, I really want HID's anyway. I'm going to price out the difference for P46's, Retro-fit, and so on. I'm a believer of if it's not a great deal more, then just do it right the first time.

BavarianZHP
01-30-2013, 08:44 PM
My thoughts, exactly. I just ordered a set of frosted 66-LED because 1) $$$, & 2) 131 LEDs would probably be unnecessarily bright.

If you can take pics or do a short review, I would love to see it. This is my next thing on my mod list after silver cube trim...

brewer90
02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know why the Khoalty AEs show a +$200 increase for 2004 and up coupes? $330 is a bit crazy. I emailed them but no response.

danewilson77
02-13-2013, 05:16 AM
No idea.....unless they think you're going to ship your headlights to them, so they can bake and install.

brewer90
02-13-2013, 11:24 AM
No idea.....unless they think you're going to ship your headlights to them, so they can bake and install.

Got a response after a follow up email. You are close. They said they don't have any AE's that fit the facelifted coupes since we have to bake our headlights to remove the cover. I guess the $200 upcharge is just to price themselves out of consideration.

I'm not sure I want to go through the whole baking process. The last time I used the oven for something similar was when I baked the side of my KTM engine case in order to replace a bearing. It stunk up the house something fierce and my wife made it home before I could air it out. I don't think she was too happy that I was using her new oven for motorcycle maintenance.

johnrando
02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Of course they exist, Umnitza for instance.

brewer90
02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Of course they exist, Umnitza for instance.

Agreed since lots of people of are running around with them. I was just posting Khoalty's response.

johnrando
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Oh yeah, I was just commenting on their response... strange they say that as they could just resell the other models that are out there.

ejp2fast
03-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Help! I ordered the Khoalty's and started install last night, from the FastM helpful DIY (http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes_orionv2.html).
The clear clips that hold the LED to the lip at the top of the projector lense for Khoalty has 3 grooves, for adjustment. The left picture below (orion), top clip appears to have 7 small grooves, and my Khoalty clip has 3 larger grooves. For some reason, I can't get ALL 4 to be flush (ie vertical) The bottom on all 4 want to go out from 1/2 to 1"!!! Just like the WRONG picture on the right below. Everything else has been very straight forward!
I also may mention that the previous owner put headlights out of a 325i (outer xenon's, inner halogens) I don't think that is an issue.
Any help would be appreciated!
Picture from FastM on this adjustment step:
http://www.fastm.com/m3/angeleyes/angeleyesv214b.jpg

das boots
03-12-2013, 06:30 AM
Dane has a secret proceedure on how to keep the lower rings in place. I tried to get him to divulge his secret. Unfortunately, I am not on his top secret list even though I have a clearance. So, it is a need to know basis....LOL. But I am thinking of maybe DW was using a velcro or 100% clear silicone that remains flexible when it dries. But on the other hand, I did not use Khoalty. I got the Weisslicht from Bimmian.

ejp2fast
03-12-2013, 06:57 AM
or 100% clear silicone that remains flexible when it dries. .
I thought of this last night, but would the heat involved of the headlight affect this over time?? If anything, it would be a 1" long bead on the back side of the LED against the projector lens to keep the LED bottom side in place..

danewilson77
03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
I use black velcro.

Cat is outta the bag.

Now...you must all die :shifty

johnrando
03-12-2013, 10:30 AM
Good thing I didn't read this. Oh wait, DOH!

das boots
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
Just as I thought and exactly what I have been using......A 1/4" size velcro would be sufficient at the bottom of the halo.

ejp2fast
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
I use black velcro.

Cat is outta the bag.

Now...you must all die :shifty

haha! thanks.

found this from khoalty (skip to 1:15 for tape) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9pZbxVtQ4Lg

double sided tape. but my kit didn't come with any.

danewilson77
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Good deal. Now you knows.

ejp2fast
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Good deal. Now you knows.
we are mafia :)

Tnhl1989
05-08-2013, 03:17 AM
Anyone tried these http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=14906

I was looking around trfs in planning on doing a DIY on the headlights and found these.