PDA

View Full Version : SprintBooster button >> M3 SPORT Button mod doityourself

Pages : [1] 2

wsmeyer
08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
I've undertaken this little project for johnrando, he has a SprintBooster (http://www.sprintboosterusa.com) installed in his car and it uses a remote button to switch the unit between the three modes and provide color indication of the selected mode. The button that comes with it looks like this:

John wanted a cleaner, more OEM look so he purchased a button assembly from a convertible M3 - which is the same assembly but with the addition of a SPORT button and our goal is to use that button to switch the modes of the SprintBooster.

Taking apart the SprintBooster button reveals a rather simple assembly with one red LED, one green LED, and a push button:

So far so good, next is the SPORT button:

In the center image you can see there are two LED's. The tiny LED1 is the backlight for the button, which we want, to keep the button looking OEM. LED2 is the indicator for the button, and SW1 is the actual switch. The right picture is there just to show how they shielded the output from the indicator LED from the backlit area.

Now that I have taken apart and examined everything here is the plan:

1. Remove LED2 from the SPORT button

2. Remove the red and green LED's from the SprintBooster circuit board and glue them side-by-side onto the SPORT button circuit board where LED2 currently sits. This will be a little tricky as they barely fit within the shielded area.

3. Remove the surface mount switch, SW1 from the SPORT circuit board. The terminals for the switch can be seen on the right and left of the switch and we will bend those up slightly so they no longer contact the circuit board, then glue the switch back in place.

4. Next we just need to soldier wires onto the two LED's and the switch and run them back to the SprintBooster circuit board where they were originally located.

That's the plan and I will post more pictures as I progress but what we should end up with is an OEM SPORT button that switches the SprintBooster modes and displays the OFF-GREEN-RED mode indicator.

Sounds simple enough <<< Famous last words

************************* PROGRESS UPDATE *************************

Steps 1, 2, and 3 above are done:

On the left shows the original LED and switch removed from the SPORT button circuit board and how I have carefully bent the terminals of the switch upwards so they won't push through the JB Weld and make contact with the board.

The middle shows the thin layer of JB Weld that will hold the new components in place and act as an insulator to keep them from making electrical contact with the board.

On the right shows the new LED's and the modified switch set on the JB Weld in their new positions.

One important thing to note is that current only flows one direction through LED's so I placed black dots on the side of one and the top of the other before removing them from the SB board and took a picture. This will enable me to wire them back to the SB board in the same orientation and not have to bother with testing to see which side is which and which one is green and which one is red.

Ran the wires to the components in their new positions:

If you follow the traces on the SB board you can see we only need three wires.

Finishing up.
This is the wires soldiered onto the SB board and then covered with a bit of shrink tube. There is plenty of empty space in the whole button assembly so this is all tucked inside.

This is the back of the SPORT button in the housing and the wires routed out one of the vent holes in the back of the assembly.

Here it is back in the car with the red LED active.

Here it is with the green LED on and you can see the backlighting still works giving it an OEM look

William.

Hornung418
08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Cool! This looks like an awesome project.

danewilson77
08-02-2012, 01:29 PM

+1

Sent from Corolla, NC USA = Party

M3TA5IN
08-02-2012, 01:33 PM

+100

328ioc
08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
Subscribed.....I would love to do this as well someday. I hope it goes well.

UdubBadger
08-02-2012, 01:45 PM
Cool

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

johnrando
08-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoegaarden Beer for William if he can pull this off!

Newjack
08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Really neat idea John.

johnrando
08-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks. Funny thing is, even though it was an original idea to me, I found out that others had come up with the idea too (separately). But no one has posted the definitive way to do this.

cakM3
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I, for one, would love to see this in detailed format. Especially when you are talking about soldering and making modifications to the circuit board....should be awesome when it's all sorted out... :thumbsup

wsmeyer
08-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I, for one, would love to see this in detailed format. Especially when you are talking about soldering and making modifications to the circuit board....should be awesome when it's all sorted out... :thumbsup

I'm not really modifying either one of the circuit boards. Basically I'm going to remove the LED's from the SprintBooster board and JB Weld them on top of the SPORT circuit board where the current LED is. JB Weld is perfect for this as it sticks to almost anything, doesn't conduct electricity, and is thick enough to keep any stray remnants of soldier from poking through and touching the transplant LED's. Then I'll soldier wires from the LED's to connect them back to the SprintBooster circuit board. In other words, the components from the SprintBooster circuit board will be physically attached to the SPORT circuit board and electrically connected via wires to where they used to be on the SprintBooster circuit board.

Going about it this way enables me to retain the OEM backlighting and tactile feel of the button.

William.

WOLFN8TR
08-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Nice work!

webster
08-03-2012, 07:53 AM
awesome idea and project. looking forward to the results. i leave my car on the green setting 97% of the time but still would be awesome to have some OEM functionality to the switch...

johnrando
08-03-2012, 07:59 AM
Very excited about this potential functionality, and giving it more of an OEM look. I don't switch it a lot, mine's on red 99.99% of the time, switch to "off" if someone else has to drive, but I like the ease of access and the look.

Hornung418
08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Is this able to be hardwired or does the SB have to be plugged into the OBD2 port 24/7?

Horney...via TT.

webster
08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Is this able to be hardwired or does the SB have to be plugged into the OBD2 port 24/7?

Horney...via TT.

the SB plugs directly into the connector on the accelator, not OB2 port. you can rig it to be completely stealth and have the wire to the switch run up through the side of the center console.

johnrando
08-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Not sure how to directly answer your question but the SB plugs into the accelerator cable, and that switch plugs into the SB. You actually don't need the switch, as you could set the SB to how you want, and unplug the switch. You'd just wouldn't be able to change it obviously.

cakM3
08-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm not really modifying either one of the circuit boards. Basically I'm going to remove the LED's from the SprintBooster board and JB Weld them on top of the SPORT circuit board where the current LED is. JB Weld is perfect for this as it sticks to almost anything, doesn't conduct electricity, and is thick enough to keep any stray remnants of soldier from poking through and touching the transplant LED's. Then I'll soldier wires from the LED's to connect them back to the SprintBooster circuit board. In other words, the components from the SprintBooster circuit board will be physically attached to the SPORT circuit board and electrically connected via wires to where they used to be on the SprintBooster circuit board.

Going about it this way enables me to retain the OEM backlighting and tactile feel of the button.

William.

William,

Thanks for explaining how you're doing this! It makes conplete sense and seems easy to do! I might have to do this sometime as well :thumbsup

BZ!!!

Hornung418
08-03-2012, 12:06 PM
the SB plugs directly into the connector on the accelator, not OB2 port. you can rig it to be completely stealth and have the wire to the switch run up through the side of the center console.

Not sure how to directly answer your question but the SB plugs into the accelerator cable, and that switch plugs into the SB. You actually don't need the switch, as you could set the SB to how you want, and unplug the switch. You'd just wouldn't be able to change it obviously.
Okay that makes sense now. I was under the impression that it had to talk to the DME through the OBD2 port.

wsmeyer
08-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Original thread has been updated with the progress I made today

johnrando
08-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Original thread has been updated with the progress I made today

Great work. I'm very excited about this!

wsmeyer
08-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Original thread has been updated again. As soon as John gets his car back from the body shop we can test it before continuing but we should be almost finished.

Hornung418
08-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Have you tested it in your ZHP, William? I can't wait to see this function in video.

wsmeyer
08-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Have you tested it in your ZHP, William? I can't wait to see this function in video.

I can't really test it as I don't have a SprintBooster.

William.

Hornung418
08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Aren't you building this? LOL

johnrando
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
He is! He's just being very cool and loves to take on a challenge. Either that, or he's doing it for free beer. :biggrin

wsmeyer
08-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Aren't you building this? LOL

Yes it is kind of odd that I'm building this and don't even have a SprintBooster but when John told me his idea it sounded cool and I see it like a puzzle. Plus I like free beer :)

Hornung418
08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
No, no, I meant that it is in your possession and you can plug it into your vert and test it out. No worries, I will wait to see the finished product :)

wsmeyer
08-19-2012, 12:10 PM
I finally got a chance to get this installed in John's car and have updated the first post with pics of the last few steps and finished project.

Hornung418
08-19-2012, 12:23 PM
That is so badass! Great work, William.

wsmeyer
08-19-2012, 12:40 PM
That is so badass! Great work, William.

Thanks, I am quite pleased with how it turned out an I'm sure John is too!

Willam

johnrando
08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
I am 1000% stoked! William did an awesome job, and it looks great. No more sprint booster button hanging around, it's a clean, OEM look. I'm glad the panel I bought worked out too. Here are some other pics I took with my cell phone while we were installing it.

Testing it
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/2012-08-18114943.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/2012-08-18120111.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/2012-08-18115429.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/2012-08-18120541.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc481/johnrando/2012-08-18121627.jpg

Pip
08-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Looks great and is a slick mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newjack
08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
That's so cool!

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

JupiterBMW
08-19-2012, 05:34 PM
This mod rocks... Very well done, super OEM looking, two of my favorite parts of 'custom' mods. Major :thumbup

328ioc
08-19-2012, 05:40 PM
This is amazing. really makes the decision between Sprint Booster and a Tune kinda hard.

JupiterBMW
08-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Sprint Booster and a Tune

You said it yourself... :biggrin

328ioc
08-19-2012, 05:49 PM
You said it yourself... :biggrin

Touche.......now either go back to bed or be productive and put pictures on facebook like I did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

nike001
08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Any noticeable differences when the button is pushed?

johnrando
08-19-2012, 06:20 PM
So, I'd definitely say do the tune first. The SB is like a placebo. It increases the signal to the "drive by wire" throttle so you FEEL like your pushing the accelerator down hard but with a lighter touch. The car feels faster, but in reality, it's not. It feels more responsive as you barely have to put your foot down, and it takes off. So, for me, the driving experience is better. You could get the same thing for free by mashing the pedal to the floor every time you drive. This is more fun. :) Oh, and yes, you can definitely tell the difference.

328ioc
08-19-2012, 06:27 PM
So, I'd definitely say do the tune first. The SB is like a placebo. It increases the signal to the "drive by wire" throttle so you FEEL like your pushing the accelerator down hard but with a lighter touch. The car feels faster, but in reality, it's not. It feels more responsive as you barely have to put your foot down, and it takes off. So, for me, the driving experience is better. You could get the same thing for free by mashing the pedal to the floor every time you drive. This is more fun. :) Oh, and yes, you can definitely tell the difference.

Awesome news. I do plan on doing both eventually the question is which first lol

johnrando
08-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Awesome news. I do plan on doing both eventually the question is which first lol

Given the choice, I'd do the tune first, as it improved my responsiveness, and gas mileage.

328ioc
08-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Given the choice, I'd do the tune first, as it improved my responsiveness, and gas mileage.

Yeah I ment to to add that at the end that it will probably be a tune first but I had a senior moment.

Hornung418
08-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Sprint Booster decreases the signal time it takes for the engine to realize you've pressed the gas pedal down. The delay is almost 1 second. I found it unbearable driving Marc's ZHP, having driven a Cable actuated throttle for the past 2 years. It's definitely a worthwhile modification to increase the response time and downshifting becomes incredibly easy. I'd do that first. The tune's ability to alter the throttle response is pointless because the DME will adapt the throttle to adjust to the driving style. There is a sequence you can follow to clear the pedal adaptations. That may help with your decision.

johnrando
08-19-2012, 07:29 PM
Good info. My point really wasn't about the throttle response from the tune, it's that in general performance is increased and the car feels more responsive overall (not just the throttle) from the tune.

Ryans323i
08-20-2012, 06:48 AM
That looks great John! Really well done and executed. Hats of to you and William for getting together and putting in werk!

johnrando
08-20-2012, 06:57 AM
Thanks. It's actually William wsmeyer that gets all the credit. I just had the idea, he made it happen.

webster
08-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Sprint Booster decreases the signal time it takes for the engine to realize you've pressed the gas pedal down. The delay is almost 1 second. I found it unbearable driving Marc's ZHP, having driven a Cable actuated throttle for the past 2 years. It's definitely a worthwhile modification to increase the response time and downshifting becomes incredibly easy. I'd do that first. The tune's ability to alter the throttle response is pointless because the DME will adapt the throttle to adjust to the driving style. There is a sequence you can follow to clear the pedal adaptations. That may help with your decision.

exactly! the difference between SB on (even just in the green setting) and SB off is night and day. you can't simply "mash your foot down" faster to achieve the same thing the SB does, it's physically impossible. there is still a throttle delay. with the SB on (green) it's perfect for daily driving. no more wait half a second on a downshift, the throttle response is immediate. when the SB is on the red setting, holy cow batman! the car will literally jump back on its haunches and throw you into your seat. one of my favorite mods.

oh and btw, the sport button project is awesome and looks super professional. great job!

cakM3
08-28-2012, 04:00 AM
Lots of good info being passed out here...I know what my next mod for my ZHP will be! :thumbsup

johnrando
08-28-2012, 06:05 AM
As soon as I installed it I had to send my car back to the body shop, so I've been without it for 5 days and only got to use it once. When I picked up my car, I got in, pushed that Sport button and thought, "this is SO cool!". lol

WOLFN8TR
08-28-2012, 07:30 AM
As soon as I installed it I had to send my car back to the body shop, so I've been without it for 5 days and only got to use it once. When I picked up my car, I got in, pushed that Sport button and thought, "this is SO cool!". lol

That is very cool! Congrats.

Crickett
08-28-2012, 07:38 PM
BRA-VO, wsmeyer & johnrando! :applause This is awesome! I had the exact same idea when I learned what the Sprint Booster is & how it works, & I'm really glad someone was able to make it work & look so clean! I will certainly be following your fine example in the future!

That said, where did you get the button strip? Does anyone know if one exists with just the DSC, H/K, & SPORT buttons?

EDIT: Found one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/180905054507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)! (eBay link) It has DSC, H/K, flat tire monitoring, & SPORT! Now all I need is a Sprint Booster . . .

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BMW-M3-DSC-SPORT-SWITCH-2001-2006-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!joE-loJJYm2BP14(m4!M!~~60_57.JPG

WOLFN8TR
08-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Ya after seeing this I want another Sprint Booster. I had the original version with no selector button. It definitely made a difference but for city stop and go driving it was too sensitive. The newer version would be perfect, having the adjustability.

jayjay_dee
08-29-2012, 08:14 AM
wow, im late to this...

looking for the cheapest place to buy SB!!!

johnrando
08-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Glad you found one Crickett. Jayjay, I just looked up Sprint Booster online, there are a few places that sell them, and got one on sale. I've also seen them for sale in the ads on e46f.c, but that's been rare. Gary, so, did you take yours out?

jayjay_dee
08-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Found one in Ebay, $259 + $10 shipping, cheapest so far... very tempting...

If I ever get it, i want those buttons too, lol....

johnrando
08-29-2012, 08:47 AM
That's a good price. Mine was more.

WOLFN8TR
08-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Ya I sold it for $100, what I paid for it. It was the older version with no mode button.

I was looking at the same one JayJay is on eBay. Decent price.

webster
08-29-2012, 02:26 PM
BRA-VO, wsmeyer & johnrando! :applause This is awesome! I had the exact same idea when I learned what the Sprint Booster is & how it works, & I'm really glad someone was able to make it work & look so clean! I will certainly be following your fine example in the future!

That said, where did you get the button strip? Does anyone know if one exists with just the DSC, H/K, & SPORT buttons?

EDIT: Found one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/180905054507?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)! (eBay link) It has DSC, H/K, flat tire monitoring, & SPORT! Now all I need is a Sprint Booster . . .

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BMW-M3-DSC-SPORT-SWITCH-2001-2006-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqR,!joE-loJJYm2BP14(m4!M!~~60_57.JPG

i want this exact strip minus the TPMS button. does that exist? it has to i'm sure.

danewilson77
08-29-2012, 02:30 PM
i want this exact strip minus the TPMS button. does that exist? it has to i'm sure.

But with heated seats.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

cakM3
08-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Good luck finding one.

Crickett
08-29-2012, 03:17 PM

But with heated seats.

Good luck finding one.

What these guys said. Granted, I haven't been searching for too long, but I've never seen one like that without the TMPS button. Fortunately, I believe it is possible to enable the flat-tire monitor* via NCSExpert! At least that's what I plan on doing if/when I buy one of these strips. :thumbup

*(FTM is different than a "true" tire-pressure monitoring system. See here (www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5245-Flat-Tire-Monitor-(RPA)-Red-Light).)

johnrando
08-29-2012, 03:45 PM
It's weird seeing panels with such different buttons after being so used to mine.

WOLFN8TR
08-29-2012, 05:56 PM
How is the TPMS button suppose to work ?

johnrando
08-29-2012, 06:25 PM
From Wiki:
Direct TPMS employ pressure sensors on each tire, either internal or external. The sensors physically measure the tire pressure in each tire and report it to the vehicle's instrument cluster or a corresponding monitor, sometimes also the temperature inside the tire. These systems can identify under-inflation in any combination, be it one tire or all four, simultaneously. Although the systems vary in transmitting options, many TPMS products (both OEM and aftermarket solutions) can display real time tire pressures at each location monitored whether the vehicle is moving or parked. There are many different solutions but all of them have to face the problems of limited battery lifetime and exposure to tough environments. If the sensors are mounted on the outside of the wheel, which is the case for some aftermarket systems, they are in danger of mechanical damage, aggressive fluids and other substances as well as theft. If they are mounted on the inside of the rim, they are no longer easily accessible for service like battery change and additionally, the RF communication has to overcome the damping effects of the tire which additionally increases the need for energy.

Crickett
08-29-2012, 07:39 PM
How is the TPMS button suppose to work ?

The DSC/ABS-based flat tire monitoring system (that doesn't use wheel-mounted pressure sensors) simply measures each wheel's speed relative to one another & interprets a large enough difference as a flat. The button is used to recalibrate the system once you've verified all tires are at their correct pressure.

cakM3
08-30-2012, 05:34 AM
What these guys said. Granted, I haven't been searching for too long, but I've never seen one like that without the TMPS button. Fortunately, I believe it is possible to enable the flat-tire monitor* via NCSExpert! At least that's what I plan on doing if/when I buy one of these strips. :thumbup

*(FTM is different than a "true" tire-pressure monitoring system. See here (www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5245-Flat-Tire-Monitor-(RPA)-Red-Light).)

Crickett,

Yes, you can enable the TPMS on ZHP's. There are two modules that need to be programmed and then you need to update the VO with this option (I think it's $251). I'll have to check my laptop when I get home. I referenced everything there. Can't do much while at work unfortunately...

WOLFN8TR
08-30-2012, 09:35 AM
The DSC/ABS-based flat tire monitoring system (that doesn't use wheel-mounted pressure sensors) simply measures each wheel's speed relative to one another &amp; interprets a large enough difference as a flat. The button is used to recalibrate the system once you've verified all tires are at their correct pressure.

Ok so you inflate to the correct pressure, push the button then what? Does something tell you if &amp; when the pressure drops?

Oh wait, don't want to get off topic. John your Sprint Booster Button looks awesome!

johnrando
08-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks. William gets the actual credit for implementation.

EDIT: Oh, AFA tires, yes, you just leave it alone until the light comes on to warn you of a pressure irregularity. However, since it's not perfect, some people say still check your tire pressure regularly. If the light does come on, you can just push/hold to reset (preferably after correcting the tire pressure issue).

WOLFN8TR
08-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Cool thanks for the info John.

WOLFN8TR
10-07-2012, 03:15 PM
Ya after seeing this I want another Sprint Booster. I had the original version with no selector button. It definitely made a difference but for city stop and go driving it was too sensitive. The newer version would be perfect, having the adjustability.

Well I'm back in the game, just snagged another Sprint Booster V2 off eBay for $175 shipped!

webster
10-08-2012, 04:50 AM
score!

johnrando
10-08-2012, 05:31 AM
Great price. Looking forward to pics of your mod.

JupiterBMW
10-08-2012, 06:05 AM
I can agree, this mod is awesome. After driving Rando's car, it definitely works! And the Sport button mod makes it THAT much better and more OEM looking...

Thanks to William and John, I now have ANOTHER mod I have to do to my car. Gee, thanks guys!! :biggrin

WOLFN8TR
10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Just installed my Sprint Booster I got off eBay, got lucky and it works fine. I can't believe the difference this thing makes! I bought the original version that had no mode button and really didn't like how sensitive it made the gas pedal. For stop and go traffic it was kind of annoying. This newer version II with the mode button is awesome. Set on Green for city driving is perfect, the car actually seems faster. I also noticed the tranny seems to shift better. It's alot easier to get the car to down shift to pass. For those on the fence about getting one of these "Don't" you will be really surprised how it wakes up your BMW.

johnrando
10-19-2012, 12:32 PM
You gonna do the sport button mod?

WOLFN8TR
10-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Would love to but I need to find a console first. That does look sweet John!

johnrando
10-19-2012, 02:25 PM
You can find them in the classifieds on e46f.c. I paid $50 for mine. I should add that it will just take patience. Check the part out section.

WOLFN8TR
10-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Cool Thanks. Will check it out.

cakM3
11-21-2012, 06:01 PM
If I get a Sprint Booster I will be doing this mod....hopefully soon ;)

edit: I won the auction today for the Sprint Booster V2 (SBBM0001S) which will work with my ZHP (snagged it for $153 from eBay) :) John, I will be working on my sport button mod soon. William has been very helpful with some questions I have and I will have everything on hand to do this job very soon. Man! I can't believe just how much has been done to my ZHP thus far! Really looking forward to getting this done....then I can reprogram my ZHP to get the tire pressure monitoring system to work :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
11-23-2012, 09:25 PM
That's a good price Charlie, Congrats!

cakM3
11-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks Gary! Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out at the end of the auction what the winning price was :) Now the hard part... waiting for the package to arrive. I got an email from the seller that he will have it out first thing next week when he returns from his holiday trip....

WOLFN8TR
11-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Ya that's the hard part...waiting, but it will be worth it.

cakM3
11-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Agreed Gary...I will be taking my time when I get my Sprint Booster. Want to make sure everything is perfect when I complete my mod :)

jayjay_dee
11-29-2012, 10:06 AM
and i am now an owner of a used SB, hopefully get to do this Sport Button mod too...

johnrando
11-29-2012, 10:10 AM
AWE-SOME! Let us know how it goes.

Crickett
11-29-2012, 10:33 AM
and i am now an owner of a used SB, hopefully get to do this Sport Button mod too...

Congrats! It appears that soon a fairly reliable way to discern if a 330 is an enthusiast-owned ZHP will be to look for the M3 sport button on the console! :rofl

cakM3
11-29-2012, 10:59 AM

Congrats jayjay!!!! Now get that sport button :) :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
11-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Somebody just got a Smokin' deal on a Sprint Booster !

Congrats JayJay...

cakM3
11-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Damn Gary!!! I thought I got an awesome deal on my Sprint Booster! jayjay got a killer deal! FTW :thumbsup

johnrando
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Congrats to my SB (sprint booster) SBM (sport button mode) brethren. Come join the flock!

WOLFN8TR
11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Damn Gary!!! I thought I got an awesome deal on my Sprint Booster! jayjay got a killer deal! FTW :thumbsup

No Doubt! I thought I got a good deal for $175, you $150 now JayJay at $105, wow.

danewilson77
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Holding out for $25.

cakM3
11-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah Gary... I thought I got a good deal... awesome for jayjay getting his! :thumbsup

@ Dane... That's the spirit! :biggrin

jayjay_dee
11-29-2012, 08:10 PM
We will know for sure if it was indeed a very good deal once i have it on my hand and installed on my zhp... Lol...

I now have my eye on the $35 button panel...

The last piece would be that very cool guy that will do the sport button mod for me,
again, jb welds and soldering is my achilles, lol...

Lastly, special thanks to Gary and Cricket for the links.

johnrando
11-29-2012, 09:41 PM
That's totally cool that he'd do that.

cakM3
11-30-2012, 04:45 AM
We will know for sure if it was indeed a very good deal once i have it on my hand and installed on my zhp... Lol...

The last piece would be that very cool guy that will do the sport button mod for me,

jayjay.....that "very cool guy" would require you to come up to his place for the mod though....;)

Yeah John....I think that's totally cool that this very cool guy would offer his services to help out a fellow Mafia member like that...;) I wonder who that guy is???? :p

WOLFN8TR
11-30-2012, 06:56 AM

No Prob, your welcome.

I need to find a console that's Not $150 and possible someone to do the technical work for me also. Not sure if I'm comfortable doing that or not.

johnrando
11-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Oh, didn't realize that very cool guy was Charlie. That's WAY very cool. :biggrin

Gary, what do you mean when you say you need a $150 console? You have the SB, the only thing you need is the button panel, which has a going rate of around $60 or less. Am I missing something?

Crickett
11-30-2012, 07:57 AM
No Prob, your welcome.

I need to find a console that's Not $150 and possible someone to do the technical work for me also. Not sure if I'm comfortable doing that or not.

I know someone in the Vegas area who is very comfortable doing light electrical / soldering work & would love to help the Mafia out! :thumbsup

johnrando
11-30-2012, 08:07 AM
:like

jayjay_dee
11-30-2012, 09:02 AM
I know someone in the Vegas area who is very comfortable doing light electrical / soldering work & would love to help the Mafia out! :thumbsup

lol.. i was about to tell Gary to contact you as you have offered to do the mod for me, hahaha...

bunch of VERY COOL guys here at ZHPMafia...

jayjay_dee
11-30-2012, 09:04 AM
jayjay.....that "very cool guy" would require you to come up to his place for the mod though....;)

Yeah John....I think that's totally cool that this very cool guy would offer his services to help out a fellow Mafia member like that...;) I wonder who that guy is???? :p

Well Charlie, you got me at "hello".... lol...

I would ask BP then if he would like to come with me to your cool place, or else, im coming on my own... lol...

thanks for offer my friend, and there is no way im turning you down...

cakM3
11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Well Charlie, you got me at "hello".... lol...

awwww shucks! :blushing:blushing:blushing

I would ask BP then if he would like to come with me to your cool place, or else, im coming on my own... lol...

thanks for offer my friend, and there is no way im turning you down...

BP's always coming up so I'm sure that won't be a problem jayjay :thumbsup Just let him and I know when you plan to come up :)

At the rate I'm waiting for my sprint booster, I might be doing mine when I'm doing yours...:) Door is always open to family bro :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
11-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Gary, what do you mean when you say you need a $150 console? You have the SB, the only thing you need is the button panel, which has a going rate of around $60 or less. Am I missing something?

This is the one I need, I think. Only one I could find so far.
-Heated Seats
-DSC
-Sub
-TPMS
-Sport

http://bit.ly/VkeISK

I know someone in the Vegas area who is very comfortable doing light electrical / soldering work &amp; would love to help the Mafia out! :thumbsup

Awesome! I will take you up on that offer if I find a cheaper console.
Thanks...

cakM3
11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
That's the one I got for my ZHP Gary....should work :thumbsup

BRGcoopahS
11-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Late to the party but that is so awesome! I really love a nice oem look and that mod does it perfectly. Great idea using the M3 cab sport button. One question though. How does the sprint booster compare to the shark injector?

cakM3
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
I have shark injector and am about to get sprint booster as well....should be a very fun ride after installing sprint booster w/ shark injector :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
11-30-2012, 06:25 PM
That's the one I got for my ZHP Gary....should work :thumbsup

Cool...

johnrando
11-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Gary, as I mentioned in the other thread, there is a guy on e46f.c that sells these panels as he's always parting out M3s. I got mine from him at $60, but as you see, Charlie got one (albeit slightly different) for $50.

BRG, the SB only amplifies the "drive-by-wire" signal so it removes the delay when you press the accelerator, it's much more responsive but it's not an actual performance enhancement. The Shark Injector, Eurocharged, AA, etc. all modify engine/computer parameters to increase performance. You can get both, but I'd start with actual performance first personally.

WOLFN8TR
12-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Hey John I've been looking on E46 and I just missed one that sold for $50 shipped. Probably a ZHPMafia member got it. Looking on eBay right now, might get lucky.

cakM3
12-01-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey John I've been looking on E46 and I just missed one that sold for $50 shipped. Probably a ZHPMafia member got it. Looking on eBay right now, might get lucky.

Gary,

do you need one of these?

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ScreenShot2012-11-22at122401PM.png

a buddy of mine who part's M3's has some available :) Let me know if you're interested :thumbsup

Edit: Gary you have PM :thumbsup

johnrando
12-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Oh, I forgot that that dude is Charlie's friend.

WOLFN8TR
12-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Gary,

do you need one of these?

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ScreenShot2012-11-22at122401PM.png

a buddy of mine who part's M3's has some available :) Let me know if you're interested :thumbsup

Edit: Gary you have PM :thumbsup

Yep that's the exact one I'm looking for! Sweet.
Checking PM. Thanks Charlie.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Gary,

I just sent my friend a text... waiting for his response. As soon as I get it I will be sending you a PM. :thumbsup

Oh, I forgot that that dude is Charlie's friend.

That's correct John :biggrin

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Sweet, Thanks!

cakM3
12-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Gary,

You have PM sir! :thumbsup

johnrando
12-02-2012, 11:33 AM
We really ought to merge the two SB threads.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Just assisted Gary in getting his Sport Button panel so he can also do the Sport Button mod...;) :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Just assisted Gary in getting his Sport Button panel so he can also do the Sport Button mod...;) :thumbsup

Put me on the list! Thanks again Charlie, that's some good Karma for ya.

cakM3
12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Put me on the list! Thanks again Charlie, that's some good Karma for ya.

Gary,

The least I could do since you clued me into my Sprint Booster :biggrin That's what family members are all about here :thumbsup

6appeal
01-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi guys, question:

My current console:
[heat] [DSC] [Hi-Fi] [heat]

Console I found:
[heat] [DSC] [TPMS] [SPORT] [heat]

Can I use this console and simply replace the TPMS button with my Hi-Fi button?

The reason I ask is because I recall reading a caveat somewhere that buttons need to retain their positions or something like that. I thought this thread would be the perfect place to ask.

Thanks in advance!

WOLFN8TR
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Hi guys, question:

My current console:
[heat][DSC] [Hi-Fi][heat]

Console I found:
[heat][DSC][TPMS][SPORT][heat]

Can I use this console and simply replace the TPMS button with my Hi-Fi button?

The reason I ask is because I recall reading a caveat somewhere that buttons need to retain their positions or something like that. I thought this thread would be the perfect place to ask.

Thanks in advance!

Not positive but I do believe the buttons have to retain their positions as you stated. I do believe you need:

[Heat] [DSC] [Hi-Fi] [Sport] [Heat]

wsmeyer
01-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Using brackets to describe the buttons is a great idea but we also need to know the position of the blanks. Regardless of how many buttons were needed, the three I disassembled all had 7 positions on the circuit board inside. All 3 were from 2005-2006 cars though so not certain this applies to all.

As an example, mine and John's convertible's look like:

[HEAT] [TOP-UP] [TOP-DWN] [DSC] [TPMS] [BLANK] [HEAT]

So we need a panel with all 7 buttons, including SPORT. A convertible M3 looks like:

[HEAT] [TOP-UP] [TOP-DWN] [DSC] [SPORT] [TPMS] [HEAT]

The DSC is one position off. The actual buttons themselves look electrically identical so I came up with the theory that it was the position that dictated the function. At the time, John's car was in the shop so I didn't have any way of testing this theory I just went with it and swapped the DSC and SPORT buttons. If my theory is correct, the DSC button wouldn't work in the other position but since I didn't test this I can't say for certain it is correct.

Hermes
01-31-2013, 08:56 PM
I was thinking of doing something similar.

Assuming I buy a Dynavin, I will no longer need my HK button. I would then just pull that and replace it with a Sport button so I still have the 3 button panel - [DSC][HK][TPMS] - for my light(er)weight car . I think this should be fine since the sport button is wired straight to the sprint booster.

Next step, find a sport button and buy a Dynavin...

johnrando
01-31-2013, 08:58 PM
William, I'm not sure I get that. Why wouldn't just putting SPORT in the BLANK spot work then?

Hermes
01-31-2013, 09:58 PM
because I assume the HK button would no longer do anything since I would no longer have a stock head unit. If that is the case why would I need the "speaker" button

edit: is the button tied to the amp or the head?

johnrando
02-01-2013, 06:42 AM
because I assume the HK button would no longer do anything since I would no longer have a stock head unit. If that is the case why would I need the "speaker" button

Sorry JP, my comment was to William. I edited it. BTW, I'm not sure what that HK button is tied to as I don't have one.

Hermes
02-01-2013, 08:43 AM
got it, no worries bud

wsmeyer
02-01-2013, 08:48 AM
William, I'm not sure I get that. Why wouldn't just putting SPORT in the BLANK spot work then?

Not sure I understand what you're asking. When we use the term BLANK we mean a spot that there is no button or hole in the panel to put a button.

johnrando
02-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I'll call you later, as I want to make sure we're in sync with the wheels. I might be misunderstanding something here.

jayjay_dee
02-01-2013, 10:30 AM

JP, i would think the HK button is tied to the amp... I have the Enco unit (Dynavin clone) and the HK button still works, you can tell the difference when you have it on or off...

Hermes
02-01-2013, 10:34 AM
JP, i would think the HK button is tied to the amp... I have the Enco unit (Dynavin clone) and the HK button still works, you can tell the difference when you have it on or off...

ah, ok... I wonder if BSW is ready with their amp yet (http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/695/390/BMW-Amplifier-Upgrade-E46/)

johnrando
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
JP, that's too funny, as there are multiple threads on e46 complaining about BSW not coming through with that highly anticipated amp, so I'm not sure if that was tongue in cheek or not. :)

BTW, I do get the button panel slots thing after speaking with William. The key is, behind where the button sits is coded for a function... it doesn't matter what button you put there, it's going to activate what that spot was originally coded for, not what the button says. So you have to carefully select your button panel. We had it easier as verts and M3 verts are nearly identical. That's where I got the idea from, as I noticed how well those panels matched.

WOLFN8TR
02-02-2013, 05:45 PM
So today I was going to finally tackle this Mod. My Sprint Booster switch has 4 wires. Not sure why mine is different? William here's some photos, do I hook it up the same?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/03/utehy6yp.jpg

Red, Black, White, Purple.

Purple, White, Black, Red

wsmeyer
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
So today I was going to finally tackle this Mod. My Sprint Booster switch has 4 wires. Not sure why mine is different? William here's some photos, do I hook it up the same?

Don't worry, you can still do the mod. You're going to need to use 6 wires though, one for each side of the components being moved. It's going to take a little more patience to get 6 wires routed around the button housing onto the board but certainly doable. There's is very little current going through any of the components so don't hesitate to use thinner wire.

WOLFN8TR
02-03-2013, 06:30 PM
Man when it comes to this stuff I'm lost. Is there anyway you can help a brother out with a Diagram maybe?

WOLFN8TR
02-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Anyone?

wsmeyer
02-05-2013, 05:20 PM

Sorry about that, I didn't realize you posted again after I last did.

Each of the three components you remove from the SB button is soldiered to the circuit board in two places. I was able to use three wires because I could see by the traces on the board that several of them were joined together. From your picture, I don't see any that are joined together on the circuit board so you are going to have to use six wires, one for each side of each component to soldier them back to the circuit board.

WOLFN8TR
02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
No Prob...

Ok that makes sense, I will give it a go, Thank You.

wsmeyer
02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
No Prob...

Ok that makes sense, I will give it a go, Thank You.

Any luck?

WOLFN8TR
02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I might do it this weekend.

328ioc
05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Hey guys. Got some graduation money burning a hole. So if any one runs across a SB for sale or an M3 button panel with heated seats please let me know!

WOLFN8TR
05-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Hey guys. Got some graduation money burning a hole. So if any one runs across a SB for sale or an M3 button panel with heated seats please let me know!

Roger...

johnrando
05-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Ping Charlie (cakm3). His buddy is the one that parts out M3s on e46.

WOLFN8TR
05-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Found one on eBay.

2001 BMW M3 E46 Center Console Switch Panel, Sport, Heated Seats, DSC, HK, TPMS (http://www.ebay.com/itm/370796623088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649)

328ioc
05-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Ping Charlie (cakm3). His buddy is the one that parts out M3s on e46.

Just PM'd him.

Found one on eBay.

2001 BMW M3 E46 Center Console Switch Panel, Sport, Heated Seats, DSC, HK, TPMS

Awesome thanks!

Can you send me the link? I actually haven't looked to much for the panel yet because I knew the SB would be harder to find.

WOLFN8TR
05-07-2013, 11:31 AM
http://bit.ly/14R7xqf

Welcome....

328ioc
05-07-2013, 12:41 PM
Great thanks. That one looks perfect!

Tnhl1989
05-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Looks like someone just bought it. I was going to wait on that one. :P

JupiterBMW
05-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Looks like someone just bought it. I was going to wait on that one. :P

Hah, hopefully it was Devlin that picked it up! That seems cheap too... $65 shipped!

328ioc
05-08-2013, 06:53 AM
Wasn't me. Got caught up doing stuff and missed it as well.

Tnhl1989
06-14-2013, 04:48 PM
The button is powered by the sprintbooster right? I'm looking at all the button from a unit now and they all seem to be similar regardless of the outing casing. Looking at this and how to route it to the pedalbox if I decide to do that.

johnrando
06-14-2013, 06:24 PM
yes, the sb switch is connected to the sport button for switching modes instead

Tnhl1989
06-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks rando. I got a few ideas regarding how to mod the pedal box.

leo_19999
06-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Anybody did this mod with a 4 wire SB switch?

Any pix?

WOLFN8TR
06-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Anybody did this mod with a 4 wire SB switch?

Any pix?

Not yet, I have the one with 4 wires and haven't figured it out yet.

cakM3
06-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Damn Gary!!! I should consider myself lucky getting the 2-wire version.....

ryankokesh
06-25-2013, 04:04 AM
I think these guys are a little over my price range...

danewilson77
06-25-2013, 04:25 AM
That better add 100Hp to the wheels.

WOLFN8TR
06-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Damn Gary!!! I should consider myself lucky getting the 2-wire version.....

Fixed...Ya No doubt!

Ryan I seen one on eBay awhile ago listed for $9,999.00! "Buy it Now"

328ioc
06-25-2013, 06:51 AM
I think these guys are a little over my price range...

I have seen this too. I always laugh a little.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cakM3
06-25-2013, 07:32 AM
That better add 100Hp to the wheels.

Dane....it adds 100hp to the butt dyno...:thumbsup

regarding Ryan's post showing the $2,700 price tag....got to be a typo.....

328ioc
06-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Dane....it adds 100hp to the butt dyno...:thumbsup

regarding Ryan's post showing the $2,700 price tag....got to be a typo.....

I thought typo as well but there are at least 3 or 4 always listed like this so who knows.

danewilson77
06-25-2013, 08:24 AM
I don't think it's a typo. I think they dangle it out there to try and hook someone that doesn't know better.

328ioc
06-25-2013, 08:47 AM
I don't think it's a typo. I think they dangle it out there to try and hook someone that doesn't know better.

Über dick move if that's the case.

cakM3
06-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Über dick move if that's the case.

+1

leo_19999
06-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Not yet, I have the one with 4 wires and haven't figured it out yet.

I got around doing the 4 wire mod....It works!!!!

Wsmeyer was right!! all i had to do was solder a wire from each contact i moved from SB side to sport button side which was 6 wires. I used 24 gauge solid wire but you can go smaller wire because its harder to route them with 24 gauge but is still doable. You do everything same like the original Diy but instead of 3 wires you have to do 6 wires for each contact..i've posted a picture, i hope you guys understand the 6 wires concept instead of 3 wires like the original post diy.....

Hope it helped anybody :thumbup

WOLFN8TR
06-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Well sheet! That's sweet but where is the photo?
Photo or it didn't happen...LOL

leo_19999
06-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Well sheet! That's sweet but where is the photo?
Photo or it didn't happen...LOL

It should be up now...

danewilson77
06-25-2013, 02:19 PM
I see it.

WOLFN8TR
06-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Me too...Ok I believe ya now. Looks like another project weekend coming up! Did you basically use a CAT5 cable?

"Wsmeyer"

:theman

leo_19999
06-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Me too...Ok I believe ya now. Looks like another project weekend coming up! Did you basically use a CAT5 cable?

"Wsmeyer"

:theman

I used these wires from RadioShack :

20' 24AWG 4 Solid Conductor Intercom Wire
Model: 278-858 | Catalog #: 278-858

They come as a pack contains 20' 4 wires together, you can find smaller gauge wire to route it easier but its up to u....

Let us know how it goes, don't forget to post pix afterwards... :thumbup

leo_19999
06-25-2013, 03:48 PM
Wsmeyer, what kind of wires did u used?

johnrando
06-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Awesome Leo!!!!! Assist to William.

cakM3
06-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Awesome Leo!!!!! Assist to William.

Now that's how it's done!!!....."Mafia style"
:chuck

wsmeyer
06-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Glad to see so many people doing this with their SprintBooster buttons.

Wsmeyer, what kind of wires did u used?

I just cut open a Cat5 cable. That gives you 8 color coded wires. If I was going to use more than three I would get something thinner to make it easier to route to the button.

leo_19999
06-25-2013, 09:16 PM

I just cut open a Cat5 cable. That gives you 8 color coded wires. If I was going to use more than three I would get something thinner to make it easier to route to the button.

Thanks, maybe i'll have to try to redo mine cause the radioshack wires are too big on mine...but not sure though....

328ioc
06-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Looks like I may have found what I need to finally do this mod. :-)

cakM3
06-26-2013, 09:29 AM

That's what I used when I did my sport button/sprint booster mod. the Cat5 cable works best :thumbsup

johnrando
06-26-2013, 09:41 AM

+1

WOLFN8TR
06-26-2013, 10:20 AM
This may be a dumb question but can you basically do this mod inside the house (soldering etc) then go install it? I would love to do this on Saturday but its gonna be 117!

cakM3
06-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Gary,

The answer to your question is yes. I did all the mod (wiring, LED/Switch relocation, JB Weld, and soldering) from inside an then connected everything afterwards. :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
06-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Sweet, thanks Charlie. I will get it all soldered up and ready to go and install it on Sunday morning early when it's only 105 in my garage...LOL.

brewer90
06-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I got around doing the 4 wire mod....It works!!!!

Way to go Leo. I'll have to give this a shot.

Tnhl1989
06-26-2013, 12:54 PM
What's the difference with the 4 wire and 3 wire setup?

WOLFN8TR
06-26-2013, 01:48 PM
What's the difference with the 4 wire and 3 wire setup?

1 wire...Seriously thou Charlie had a typo. Sprint Boosters are either a 2 wire or 4 wire from the mod button.

leo_19999
06-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys for the heads up on the cat5 wire!!

I found some cat3 wire which is same like cat5 but not as twisted together so it was better for me, Ive redone my switch from radio shack wires to cat3 wires and its much better. Check this picture with my old picture posted on previous page how the wires are different..

If anybody needs help or anything let me know....but all credit goes to Wsmeyer!!!!

Thanks Man!!!! :cheers

328ioc
06-27-2013, 05:36 AM
Just picked up a sport button panel.

Half way there. Just need a sprint booster.

WOLFN8TR
06-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Thanks guys for the heads up on the cat5 wire!!

I found some cat3 wire which is same like cat5 but not as twisted together so it was better for me, Ive redone my switch from radio shack wires to cat3 wires and its much better. Check this picture with my old picture posted on previous page how the wires are different..

Nice work! Where do you get the Cat3 wire. Is that basically phone line wire?

leo_19999
06-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Just picked up a sport button panel.
How much u paid...
My friend has one but wants 100...not sure if its a good price or not..

Nice work! Where do you get the Cat3 wire. Is that basically phone line wire?

My bro found some around the house, didn't even knew we have something like that. I think its bigger than regular phone lines, cat3 and cat5 are similar just cat5 is more twisted to get more mbps for ethernet which in this case it doesn't matter i think.

If anyone needs some i have some left, just pm me.

WOLFN8TR
06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
If that Sprint Booster is the V2 with the Mode button that's a good price! Is it a 2 or 4 wire, model number? I paid $175 for my used a year ago. I would buy that sucker!

leo_19999
06-27-2013, 10:59 AM
If that Sprint Booster is the V2 with the Mode button that's a good price! Is it a 2 or 4 wire, model number? I paid $175 for my used a year ago. I would buy that sucker!

Thats for the sport button console not the sprint booster... i wish it was for SB..lol

328ioc
06-27-2013, 11:05 AM
How much u paid...
My friend has one but wants 100...not sure if its a good price or not...

I got mine on eBay for $99.99 shipped so I say go for it.

leo_19999
06-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Thanks... :thumbup

johnrando
06-27-2013, 11:47 AM
$100 is too much for the panel. I paid $60 and several others have gotten it for less. PM Charlie (cakm3) as his friend parts out M3's and has these for sale from time to time.

leo_19999
06-27-2013, 12:02 PM
$100 is too much for the panel. I paid $60 and several others have gotten it for less. PM Charlie (cakm3) as his friend parts out M3's and has these for sale from time to time.

When i needed one i asked Charlie (cakm3) and he said they didn't had any at that time...Not sure about now.

cakM3
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM
When i needed one i asked Charlie (cakm3) and he said they didn't had any at that time...Not sure about now.

I can check....if my friend has one I will send you a PM :thumbsup

I need to know again what type of button panel you are looking for....the same as what John posted in this thread or the same as the one I'm using?

328ioc
06-27-2013, 12:08 PM

Yeah I just asked him the other day. In truth mine was only 84. Bit shipping was another 15.

leo_19999
06-27-2013, 12:25 PM
I can check....if my friend has one I will send you a PM :thumbsup

I need to know again what type of button panel you are looking for....the same as what John posted in this thread or the same as the one I'm using?

Thanks but i really don't need one anymore...i got one already...
Maybe someone else needs one here dunno.

WOLFN8TR
06-27-2013, 02:37 PM

This One?

328ioc
06-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Yep.

johnrando
06-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Did you look on e46f.c in the classifieds? Look for the part-out M3s and maybe the timing will be right. That's how I found mine, and it just happened to be Charlie's friend, but I didn't know it at the time.

leo_19999
06-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Ive posted on e46 the console for my friend...http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15534412#post15534412

If someone wants it here from Zhp mafia family i can maybe work on the price with my friend....just pm me if anything !!:thumbsup

bullfrogs_M3
06-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Ive posted on e46 the console for my friend...http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15534412#post15534412

If someone wants it here from Zhp mafia family i can maybe work on the price with my friend....just pm me if anything !!:thumbsup

I'll take it if no other bites on it.

Handwritten on my Moleskin notepad

leo_19999
06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
I'll take it if no other bites on it.

Pm me whenever ur ready...lol

bullfrogs_M3
06-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Pm me whenever ur ready...lol

Nevermind man, sorry, I am going to back out and let someone else have a go at it. I really dont' know when i will get the sprint booster up and going anyway.

Sorry for the confusion :(

leo_19999
06-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Nevermind man, sorry, I am going to back out and let someone else have a go at it. I really dont' know when i will get the sprint booster up and going anyway.

Sorry for the confusion :(

Its all good...:p

:)

rguti153
07-01-2013, 05:50 PM
Damn i want to do this but probably would fuck up somewhere dont feel comfortable removing led soldering . Never really done that

WOLFN8TR
07-01-2013, 06:26 PM
Damn i want to do this but probably would fuck up somewhere dont feel comfortable removing led soldering .

Well that makes two of us, especially after taking my console switch apart and seeing how small it was.

leo_19999
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Well that makes two of us, especially after taking my console switch apart and seeing how small it was.

Thats why just buy a extra switch just in case if you do indeed mess it up you can always use ur old switch....

Thats what i did, bought a extra switch from SprintBooster online and went to work on it... lol ... I actually managed to do it and i think anybody that really wants to do this mod is capable of doing this...just word of advice, Don't Rush it...take your time.....Good Luck :)

johnrando
07-01-2013, 10:34 PM
Yup, I bought an extra switch.

leo_19999
07-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Yup, I bought an extra switch.

Best minds think alike....lol

WOLFN8TR
07-02-2013, 08:38 AM
How much is a SB switch?

328ioc
07-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Update on my project.

I officially have a switch panel and sprint booster in the mail to me.

johnrando
07-02-2013, 09:33 AM
$25.

WOLFN8TR
07-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Update on my project.

Nice! You will Love it!

$25.

Oh thats cheap, thanks!

rguti153
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Lol good luck man update

cakM3
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Update on my project.

Congrats Devlin! :thumbsup

328ioc
07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Sport button arrived today along with PA Soft.

Sprint booster should be here in a few days

cakM3
07-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Sport button arrived today along with PA Soft.

Sprint booster should be here in a few days

:chuck

328ioc
07-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Got my SB in the mail today. Going to throw it in tomorrow to test it then start working on the modifications. #WINNING

rguti153
07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Good luck hope it eorks out n get it figure out

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

WOLFN8TR
07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Got my SB in the mail today. Going to throw it in tomorrow to test it then start working on the modifications. #WINNING

Nice !

johnrando
07-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Can't wait to hear what you think.

WOLFN8TR
07-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Can't wait to hear what you think.

X2!

cakM3
07-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Devlin hooked his Sprint Booster up and then texted this to me afterwards...

"Sprint booster is awesome... I can't drive it on red mode very well yet."

I texted him that he will get used to it and that I used the red "aggressive" mode when driving on the highways. :thumbsup

Looks like we have another SB convert ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

328ioc
07-14-2013, 10:01 AM
Devlin hooked his Sprint Booster up and then texted this to me afterwards...

"Sprint booster is awesome... I can't drive it on red mode very well yet."

I texted him that he will get used to it and that I used the red "aggressive" mode when driving on the highways. :thumbsup

Looks like we have another SB convert ;)

Yes....this did in fact happen.

WOLFN8TR
07-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Sweet! Another happy SB customer.

johnrando
07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
:like

coby1
07-20-2013, 03:43 PM
if anyone might want to do this mod (for me ) in trade or $$ pm me and let me know i have the sb and the switch but when it comes to wires-cutting -soldering and such it ain't one of my strong suit lol.

cakM3
07-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Mike, I just sent you a PM :thumbsup

WOLFN8TR
07-20-2013, 08:42 PM
if anyone might want to do this mod (for me ) in trade or $$ pm me and let me know i have the sb and the switch but when it comes to wires-cutting -soldering and such it ain't one of my strong suit lol.

X2...I attempted to do it until I got apart and seen how dam small that switch was.

TomTomTuning
07-21-2013, 04:32 AM
SP is on my list of mods to get soon... And the M3 Sport Button would be an awesome retrofit!

328ioc
07-21-2013, 05:29 AM
SP is on my list of mods to get soon... And the M3 Sport Button would be an awesome retrofit!

Start looking on eBay. It took me a while to find the stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

rguti153
07-21-2013, 07:58 AM
I want this also but I would probably destroy the switch lol

cakM3
07-21-2013, 12:56 PM

It is if you either know how to do this or know someone who can do this for you :thumbsup

All you have to do is mod the sport button like this...(JB Weld is your friend!)
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/Sprint%20Booster/DSC_0235_zpsbedb6179.jpg

Then wire the sport button to the sprint booster circuit board...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/utygy5yt.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/22/9y6e5eha.jpg

Much easier if you had the 2-wire sprint booster but with patience and time you can also retrofit the 4-wire sprint booster as well :thumbsup

rguti153
07-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Looks pretty straight forward but ... I would fuck something up lol I need to colect items n see for my self

cakM3
07-21-2013, 04:48 PM
Looks pretty straight forward but ... I would fuck something up lol I need to colect items n see for my self

Patience is the key. I have learned that the red LED is very problematic so you're better off ordering new red LEDs if you choose to use them rather than attempting to reuse them. So far while doing this retrofit (twice now) I have not had any luck reusing the red LEDs :facepalm No matter how careful I am taking them off, the red LEDs have not worked out for me. I'm 0 for 2 on red LEDs...

WOLFN8TR
07-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Good work Charlie! Good info on the Red LED's, where do you order new ones, info?

cakM3
07-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Good work Charlie! Good info on the Red LED's, where do you order new ones, info?

Mouser Electronics. Here's a link to a red LED...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Avago-Technologies/ASMT-QRBD-AEF0E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y6DoIFJWvTBxRIpyfylHVsQ%3d (http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Avago-Technologies/ASMT-QRBD-AEF0E/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu4Prknbu83y6DoIFJWvTBxRIpyfylHVsQ%3d )

WOLFN8TR
07-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Cool! For the price New LED's are the way to go and they have enough for when I screw them up.

In Stock: 15,063

cakM3
07-21-2013, 06:45 PM
You can do it Gary!!! :thumbsup

rguti153
07-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Mmmm might be hope to try this one day :D

WOLFN8TR
07-23-2013, 01:33 PM
"M3 Sport Button Switches on eBay" (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=BMW+E46+Sport+Switch&_ipg=25&_os=C%7CUP%7CD&_pgn=1&_pos=89002&_sop=10&_stpos=89002&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/e9yrevu4.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/y7ebesab.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/6uqyzy4y.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/24/7ysu3ypu.jpg

cakM3
07-23-2013, 01:44 PM
For those looking for the panel w/o heated seats and/or HK button they are also in the eBay auction link Gary just provided :thumbsup

Get them while you can!!!

johnrando
07-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Thx Gary.

cakM3
07-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Today I completed yet another Sprint Booster/Sport Button mod for another forum member....getting it all wrapped up and packaged so I can send it to him tomorrow. He's been very patient with my schedule so I had to get this done today. I op tested the mod and everything worked, including the LEDs. I had to replace the red LED for another and it all turned out better than I had expected. I took my time when I had time to work on this mod because I didn't want the recipient of this mod to experience any issues. Luckily this was a 2-wire Sprint Booster just like mine so I could test this out as soon as I completed the retrofit.

For those who are on the fence, there are a few on each coast who can perform this retrofit....you should take full advantage of the talents here on this forum to help make your ZHP/BMWs more unique :thumbsup Okay....there's my pitch ;)

Here's the video I made after op testing the module :) Somebody is going to be very happy in a few days...;)

https://vimeo.com/71211748

wsmeyer
07-28-2013, 01:23 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:

Helping others is what this site is all about

trancenation
07-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Hey Guys,

This seems like a pretty cool mod that I would appreciate since I am a STEP. Could someone please verify the parts required for this retrofit? Correct me if I am wrong with my list.

1 x Sprintbooster
1 x SwitchBoard with Sport Button
1 x Green Led
1 x Red Led
1 x Wires for retrofit

Thanks.