PDA

View Full Version : DISA valve upgrade rebuild doityourself

TheUDM89
08-08-2012, 05:54 PM
Hey guys i just wanted to share a recent DIY i did. I was reading on line and found a website called http://germanautosolutions.com/DISA_DIY.html. I ordered the upgrade/rebuild kit and i have to say i was impressed by their upgrade. The factory vlave was plastic and built poorly. The new one was metal and the design was a titanium rod that went through the valve and screwed in instead of a small pin that they mentioned could possibly fall out in your intake (luckily mine didnt). The website gave a very good DIY step by step with lots of details. I bought the valve rebuild not knowing if mine was bad or not and it turned out it was bad. Im not sure exactly what the valve is for but im glad i did it. It didnt take much time at all what took the longest was getting the factory molded seal off to replace it with a replaceable o-ring seal. Im happy with the upgrade. Let me know if anyone else has done it too5363

Hornung418
08-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Yep. Very solid product.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7155

Horney...via TT.

WOLFN8TR
08-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Money well spent. Quality product.

BRGcoopahS
09-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Just did this today. It was pretty easy, only thing that was hard was removing the yellow bell housing piece, mine snapped and broke after I pried it off. Luckily there is the new metal one. Oh and the lower intake boot was nearly impossible to remove, so I said fuck it and took off the DISA with it still on. I spent over a half hour trying to get that thing off.

As for the parts/ kit. The instructions were EXCELLENT, and the quality of parts were great.

My first real DIY on a car, didnt really have much trouble.

NorCalZman
09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Just did this today. It was pretty easy, only thing that was hard was removing the yellow bell housing piece, mine snapped and broke after I pried it off. Luckily there is the new metal one. Oh and the lower intake boot was nearly impossible to remove, so I said fuck it and took off the DISA with it still on. I spent over a half hour trying to get that thing off.

As for the parts/ kit. The instructions were EXCELLENT, and the quality of parts were great.

My first real DIY on a car, didnt really have much trouble.

So how did you get it off wth the intake book still on? Did you just keep prying it out until it slipped out between the boot and hole? I want to pull mine out to check on the DISA, but it sounds like a bear. I am wondering if I should just order the DISA upgrade and do it all at once just so I don't have to do it twice....

danewilson77
09-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Disa is not connected to either intake boot. Lower boot only connects to icv and throttle body.

:shifty

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

BRGcoopahS
09-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Yea basically. I pushed the intake boot down and pulled the disa out. I had to turn the unit 90 degrees or so to get around the intake boot but it came out relatively easy. You're much better off leaving that freakin piece on and working around it to get the disa off.

danewilson77
09-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Yea basically. I pushed the intake boot down and pulled the disa out. I had to turn the unit 90 degrees or so to get around the intake boot but it came out relatively easy. You're much better off leaving that freakin piece on and working around it to get the disa off.

Yes....unless you wanna inspect boots and clean icv, "while you're in there".

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Dave1027
08-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes....unless you wanna inspect boots and clean icv, "while you're in there".
That's exactly what I did over this last weekend. Disa GAS upgrade, ICV cleaning and intake boot inspection. Boots were good. ICV was nearly clogged, couldn't get it to rattle until after I cleaned it.

Funny thing happened after I cleaned it out thoroughly. I was having fun rattling the thing and a cat from down the street heard it and came running toward me. Only thing I could guess was the rattling noise must have mimmicked the cat's favorite toy. Weird.

My notes from the job. Overall, the entire job took me about 5 hours spread over two days.

I found I could not remove the disa without first removing the black plastic shield that goes between the firewall and shock tower. There simply was not enough clearance to pull the disa straight out until I removed the shield. The vacuum hose for the brake booster was in the way of the shield removal. I bent the hose out of the way, hoping I would not harm anything. This to me was the most stressful part because I felt something might get bent or broken.

I notice what looked like an oil film inside the intake manifold. I don't seem to be burning any oil. Maybe this is normal. Saw the location of the CCV system. Dreading have to do that repair should it ever come to it.

The hose clamps for the lower intake boot were facing down so the were a little hard to get to. I unbolted a clamp the holds a couple vacuum lines and that gave me much better access to the hose clamps.

After the job we took the car for a quick spin. I notice more linear acceleration. It pulls smoothly through the RPMs where as before a I could notice a slight flat spot. Idle is perfectly smooth at 600 rpm. Love this vehicle.

danewilson77
08-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Nice work. That disa will pull straight out after the boots are removed. It just needs to be angled a bit when removing.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Dave1027
08-19-2013, 04:28 PM
That's good. Next time I work down there I'll remove the lower boot first.

Here's a pic of my upgraded Disa

http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/files/ZHP/PICT0005.JPG

danewilson77
08-19-2013, 05:10 PM
That's good. Next time I work down there I'll remove the lower boot first.

Here's a pic of my upgraded Disa

http://home.comcast.net/~dl1027/files/ZHP/PICT0005.JPG

#museumquality

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

kayger12
08-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Nice work. I didn't remove my boot either.

Biggest pita of the whole thing for me was getting that old o-ring out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Dave1027
08-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks. Actually I did remove both boots for inspection. It was the order I did everything that wasn't the best. I did not remove the lower boot until I needed to take off the ICV. I first removed the air box and maf. Then I removed the upper boot. I then tried to remove the disa but I did not have enough clearance. I actually tried to pull the disa out at an angle but it would not turn because it slides into channels. I'm thinking Dane is saying to angle the disa either up or down. I don't believe I tried up or down. If I was to go down I would first have to remove the lower boot.

Scraping out the old o-ring from the disa was a long process. I probably spent at least a half hour working with a small flat head screw driver. I didn't mind that task too much though. Sure it's long but it's easy and no stress. It's the kind of thing you can kick back and listen to some tunes while you do it. I thought the part where you have to pull the old metal pin out of the disa frame was worse. I had beads of sweat coming down as I feared I'd crack a $300 disa unit and then I'd be screwed.

danewilson77
08-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Thanks. Actually I did remove both boots for inspection. It was the order I did everything that wasn't the best. I did not remove the lower boot until I needed to take off the ICV. I first removed the air box and maf. Then I removed the upper boot. I then tried to remove the disa but I did not have enough clearance. I actually tried to pull the disa out at an angle but it would not turn because it slides into channels. I'm thinking Dane is saying to angle the disa either up or down. I don't believe I tried up or down. If I was to go down I would first have to remove the lower boot.

Scraping out the old o-ring from the disa was a long process. I probably spent at least a half hour working with a small flat head screw driver. I didn't mind that task too much though. Sure it's long but it's easy and no stress. It's the kind of thing you can kick back and listen to some tunes while you do it. I thought the part where you have to pull the old metal pin out of the disa frame was worse. I had beads of sweat coming down as I feared I'd crack a $300 disa unit and then I'd be screwed.

I'm actually able to "squish" the lower boot and tilt the disa "forward" just enough to get it out without removing either boot.