PDA

View Full Version : CABs - what else to do?

gammagoblin
08-13-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm at the dealer for a taillight recall job, which must be quick, because after an hour or so I'm told they've done a look-over on my car and all is well. Except the front "thrust bushings" are "ruptured" (heh).

My car has 65k and the suspension is all stock, so it's likely they are on the way out even though I haven't noticed them yet. I did drive a car with a gone CAB and it was impossible to miss. But considering my car's age it's not a bad idea at this point.

So control arms and bushings then. Seems like Meryle HDs are popular? Looking for similar to stock but longer-lasting.

And eventually, I will have refreshed the whole suspension, but instead of doing it all in one shot in another 10-20k miles I think I'm going to do it piece by piece. What is easy/makes sense to do while you're doing the control arms? Sway bushings, end links, tie rods, etc etc. Probably not going to touch shock/strut and spring until I get to doing all 4 of those, which will come later.

danewilson77
08-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah...I like the Meyle HD.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Ryans323i
08-13-2012, 08:51 AM
I would do the tie rods as well because you'll have to get an alignment after both (ca/cabs and tie rods).
And I have the Meyle HD CA and CABs and I like them as well.

gammagoblin
08-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks guys. I guess without doing shock/strut work that covers the front. Should I bother with sway bar end links or sway bar bushings?

And good point about the alignment :)

danewilson77
08-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys. I guess without doing shock/strut work that covers the front. Should I bother with sway bar end links or sway bar bushings?

And good point about the alignment :)

Sure...but honestly, the endlink and bushing should be good up to at least 100k miles, depending on car use. I swapped mine at ~100k miles and they really didn't need it.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

gammagoblin
08-14-2012, 06:54 AM
In that case sounds like cabs and TRs are all I need. Thanks!

echo46
08-15-2012, 05:10 AM
When I bought my whip with 66,000 miles on it, it needed CABs as I had a bit of a shimmy. I replaced with the Meyle HDs and they feel solid. Then at the 70,000 mark I started getting a clunking noise so I replaced the end links with Lemforders. My control arms are still good so I will wait till I do shocks, RTABs, struts, mounts to to the control arms. Oh yea, if you do the tie rods you will probably need an alignment.

danewilson77
08-15-2012, 05:29 AM
When I bought my whip with 66,000 miles on it, it needed CABs as I had a bit of a shimmy. I replaced with the Meyle HDs and they feel solid. Then at the 70,000 mark I started getting a clunking noise so I replaced the end links with Lemforders. My control arms are still good so I will wait till I do shocks, RTABs, struts, mounts to to the control arms. Oh yea, if you do the tie rods you will probably need an alignment.

.........and........when you do CA's, you will need to do CAB's again...as a reminder.