PDA

View Full Version : Will i need sturt mount reinforcement?

Jlastor
08-15-2012, 12:45 PM
I just ordered a set of Koni FSD 2100 strut/shocks and I plan to use my original springs. Will I need the strut mount reinforcements normally needed in our cars when going on a harder suspension? Or is that more for cars with coilovers or low/hard suspension?

EDIT : I should add that I have an M3 strut brace installed in the front, if that make any difference.

Thanks!

Hermes
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I have stock suspension and experienced the start of mushrooming, I installed the reinforcement plates and a brace. I personally think of those plates as a cheap insurance policy and believe everybody should get them

nike001
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
The plates are only like $10...

Just do it to save yourself more $$ in the future

danewilson77
08-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Get em.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

Jlastor
08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
thanks guys!

JupiterBMW
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Hmm, just saw the plates on TMS for $20. Looks good, but I have a question. Do they mount between front struts and the strut mount or on top of strut mount in the engine bay?

nike001
08-15-2012, 06:57 PM
You put it under the strut mounts

JupiterBMW
08-15-2012, 07:01 PM
Yeah, ok, that does make more sense. Thanks.

Hermes
08-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Dane has a pic where it's easier to see it but here's mine

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/zhp%20projects/DSC_1300.jpg

danewilson77
08-16-2012, 03:32 AM
http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/BMWReinforcementkitInstalled.jpg

WOLFN8TR
08-16-2012, 05:17 AM
I really need to replace my front struts, especially since one is missing a bolt!
Can you just get another bolt or does the entire strut have to be replaced?

danewilson77
08-16-2012, 06:18 AM
You just need a new FSM. Front strut mount.

WOLFN8TR
08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks Dane. The dealer wanted $800 to fix that when they did my inspection before purchasing the car.

Is it pretty easy to replace?

danewilson77
08-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks Dane. The dealer wanted $800 to fix that when they did my inspection before purchasing the car.

Is it pretty easy to replace?

Yes. I would do it free of charge since I like you and it would take about 1.5 hours max. The part is < $50.

I would have punched the guy in the face when that $800 number came off his tongue.

WOLFN8TR
08-17-2012, 03:33 AM
Yes. I would do it free of charge since I like you and it would take about 1.5 hours max. The part is < $50.

I would have punched the guy in the face when that $800 number came off his tongue.

True Mafia Love, thanks! If I lived closer I would take ya up on that.

$800 for that is Ridiculous Fo Sho.

Jlastor
08-27-2012, 05:37 AM
I completed my strut/shocks replacement yesterday. Took about 3 hours total. I had never replaced a suspension so I had a couple of DIY on hand. I must say that its a really straight forward job. Only tool needed (other than your normal wrenches, sockets, etc.) is the spring compressor; I bought one at Pep Boys for $30. The front took abot 2.5 hours and the rear about half an hour. I had a blast. Dealer wanted $55 for the pair of reinforcement plates but they had them on hand, ended up paying half of that with ECS, and waited a couple of days.

The Koni FSD's are awesome! I will recommend them to anyone (just as everyone has). They truly deliver what they say; basically the same ride as stock while normal driving, better handling in twisty roads, and more refined in the broken/cracked tarmac. Its one of those mods that leave you saying, "the car should have been built like this from factory". There is room for improvement for those track minded, but still lets you drive the car as the true ultimate driving machine.

danewilson77
08-27-2012, 06:08 AM
I completed my strut/shocks replacement yesterday. Took about 3 hours total. I had never replaced a suspension so I had a couple of DIY on hand. I must say that its a really straight forward job. Only tool needed (other than your normal wrenches, sockets, etc.) is the spring compressor; I bought one at Pep Boys for $30. The front took abot 2.5 hours and the rear about half an hour. I had a blast. Dealer wanted $55 for the pair of reinforcement plates but they had them on hand, ended up paying half of that with ECS, and waited a couple of days.

The Koni FSD's are awesome! I will recommend them to anyone (just as everyone has). They truly deliver what they say; basically the same ride as stock while normal driving, better handling in twisty roads, and more refined in the broken/cracked tarmac. Its one of those mods that leave you saying, "the car should have been built like this from factory". There is room for improvement for those track minded, but still lets you drive the car as the true ultimate driving machine.

Ride height is about the same as well? No?

echo46
08-28-2012, 04:37 AM
Great job, godamn stealerships. I think I would drive my car on the axels before I would take it back to the dealership.

danewilson77
08-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Great job, godamn stealerships. I think I would drive my car on the axels before I would take it back to the dealership.

+1.

I have the Benz getting safety inspected. Can't wait for the list of "should do's" and the possible dishonest list of "this needs replaced" stuff.

Jlastor
08-30-2012, 04:52 AM
Ride height is about the same as well? No?

Yup! Ride height stayed the same! Ill probably get some springs later; Im getting a new car next year and kepping the zhp for weekends and some track events so then I can drop it.