PDA

View Full Version : ZHP Tie Rods doityourself

Ricky Reevey
08-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Not sure if anyone has done this before but I'm replacing my injured tie rod. Got a sweet Meyle replacement from ECS tuning. Here is a picture for your viewing pleasure.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

UdubBadger
08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
I very well might be next on the list.

What were the symptoms that led you to replacing yours?

Oli77
08-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Tie rods translate the steering wheel motion into directional changes is that correct?

UdubBadger
08-16-2012, 12:45 PM
yes

echo46
08-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Let us know how it goes.

danewilson77
08-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Ensure you attempt to match lengths prior to install.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=779009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpVuy4lA7Pw

Ricky Reevey
08-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Sypmtoms......the curb I hit was a pretty good symptom....smh. I actually took it for an alignment check....waste of $35. If I had checked the good side I would have seen it was bent....aka dummy check.....now known as (nka) the Ricky Reevey check. When the car is grossly out of alignment you will get the amber brake light and the amber dsc light and an audible beep when as soon as you pull off for the first time after starting the car. It was a great fit. It only took a few minutes, maybe 10, to put back on and manually adjust. Oh yeah the steering will was also grossly off center. The best thing to do is match it up with the old tie rod and adjust it prior to install. I had a harder tune with that because of it being bent. You also need to center the steering wheel as best you can. Once you install both ends you can "eye up" and manually adjust the tow of the wheel. It just has to be good enough to get to a nearby alignment shop. I got pretty lucky because there is a indy shop that is also a Hunter Test Shop about 1.5 miles from my house. The amber lights are still on but the audible sound is gone so hopefully the alignment on the Hunter machine will clear those lights or the dealer may have to clear them.....orrrrrr the steering angle sensor is bad or needs reprogramming. Personally I'm hoping the machine alignment will do the trick.

Ricky Reevey
08-16-2012, 01:41 PM
If you look at my pic you can see how bent the old tie rod is.

Ricky Reevey
08-16-2012, 03:26 PM
@DW That's the DIY video I watched before the install.

UdubBadger
08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Sypmtoms......the curb I hit was a pretty good symptom....smh. I actually took it for an alignment check....waste of $35. If I had checked the good side I would have seen it was bent....aka dummy check.....now known as (nka) the Ricky Reevey check. When the car is grossly out of alignment you will get the amber brake light and the amber dsc light and an audible beep when as soon as you pull off for the first time after starting the car. It was a great fit. It only took a few minutes, maybe 10, to put back on and manually adjust. Oh yeah the steering will was also grossly off center. The best thing to do is match it up with the old tie rod and adjust it prior to install. I had a harder tune with that because of it being bent. You also need to center the steering wheel as best you can. Once you install both ends you can "eye up" and manually adjust the tow of the wheel. It just has to be good enough to get to a nearby alignment shop. I got pretty lucky because there is a indy shop that is also a Hunter Test Shop about 1.5 miles from my house. The amber lights are still on but the audible sound is gone so hopefully the alignment on the Hunter machine will clear those lights or the dealer may have to clear them.....orrrrrr the steering angle sensor is bad or needs reprogramming. Personally I'm hoping the machine alignment will do the trick.

That sux

For me too cuz I still need to diagnose this shake in my steering wheel

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Johnmadd
08-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Wow! That is the most bent tie rod I've ever seen! Make sure your wheels are not damaged, that's bad Ricky. :sadface

Ricky Reevey
08-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks John. I've got an extra front and rear so I'm gonna toss one on. I'll inspect this one (only seen cosmetic damage so far) and use it as my spare if it's not damaged.

danewilson77
08-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Thanks John. I've got an extra front and rear so I'm gonna toss one on. I'll inspect this one (only seen cosmetic damage so far) and use it as my spare if it's not damaged.

Front and rear what?

echo46
08-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Glad it's fixed.

UDub: Check the Condition of you front CABs. I had steering wheel shake, changed my control arm bushings and no more shake.

UdubBadger
08-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Glad it's fixed.

UDub: Check the Condition of you front CABs. I had steering wheel shake, changed my control arm bushings and no more shake.

Thanks gonna probably do those and Tie rods

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
08-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Say.......Seth....do you have your used ZHP springs?

UdubBadger
08-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Not sure I'll look tonight. I think Eli gave me um

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

danewilson77
08-17-2012, 09:08 AM
Not sure I'll look tonight. I think Eli gave me um

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Ok....Kris is looking for a set to buy.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

UdubBadger
08-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I saw just haven't had time to look

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Ricky Reevey
08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
@Dane front and rear wheel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

echo46
08-30-2012, 01:52 PM
So DW, you trained the ZHP to drive with it's door open as you run?:)

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 02:05 PM
@Dane front and rear wheel

Damn Reevey....quote the shit so I have a clue. That was weeks ago.

So DW, you trained the ZHP to drive with it's door open as you run?:)

Yes. It's like the bat mobile.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

UdubBadger
08-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Lol

- Goin' H.A.M. Mobile

Ricky Reevey
08-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Sorry DW. I figured you would remember. My bad.....old ass!

danewilson77
08-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Old ass. Damn....