PDA

View Full Version : Why do I live in the Northeast, again?

az3579
01-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Took me an HOUR to get my car out of the snow, and that is WITH the help of my neighbor and his snow blower. That doesn't include the amount of time it took to get the rest of the cars cleared, and the time it took for me to shovel my godparents' driveway with snow just as high as in these pics.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/2011-01-12_10-52-53_384.jpg

To give you an idea just how much snow that is:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/2011-01-12_10-55-35_237.jpg

And finally, success.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa192/az3579/Automotive/BMW%20E46%20330i%20ZHP/Exterior/2011-01-12_12-14-45_139.jpg

Linh
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Hmm. . Wow. Got me thinking, the weather down South MS gets pretty humid and HOT. But looking at these pictures, makes it seem a lot less work staying down here.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Az, hell no. That's as bad as the spider pics from the other day. I do not like snow anymore.

az3579
01-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Az, hell no. That's as bad as the spider pics from the other day. I do not like snow anymore.

YOU don't like snow? Bah.
This will never top spiders. I'd rather shovel snow all day than hang out in a room full of spiders for 2 minutes. My back is still killing me and I stopped shovelling about 2 hours ago... and I'm only 21. Jeez.

kayger12
01-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I feel your pain BP.

And looks like another one might be on tap for next week...

az3579
01-12-2011, 01:54 PM
And looks like another one might be on tap for next week...

DO NOT SAY THAT!!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.... :crying

I'm sick and tired of this crap...

Alphatek45
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Well I moved to the south from NY and Im still dealing with similar shit here. I want a refund.

Kudos
01-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Ya, here in Chicago we are used to it, so we salt the salt on top of the salt just pre-emptively. I know in Georgia they are all screwed cause they don't have enough ice cream machines and don't know that salt melts ice..

Alphatek45
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
The snow/ice response here is laughable. Forget about the drivers. When the car starts to slide they have 2 actions, slam the breaks or mash the gas. It's crazy.

gr330zhp
01-12-2011, 05:29 PM
THats one question I can never answer.

Pff thats nothing.

I was plowing down my road in my old Audi A4 this morning. The snow was up to the grille in the car. This was after the plow had passed oh about an hour and a half earlier. Me, some trucks and an A6 were the only cars on the road. Oh and an Impreza WRX I passed on the side of the road. Hehe. Quattro FTW!

az3579
01-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Tonight, I went out for a drive on mostly plowed, but still not fully cleared roads. And I answered my own question as to why I live in the Northeast.

*story mode on*
The road beckons, be it clear or covered in fluffy white goodness. I couldn't help the thought of being inside when such a traffic-less road called my
name. It had its flaws; mounds of snow clumped for the pothole effect, snow plows out and about, and countless people still shoveling despite the sun's
retirement for the day. Still, I couldn't help the thought of turning the key in the ignition of the red beauty that stood in my driveway, so I grabbed my keys and
flew down the steps.

Pressing the button on a fob that looked a little oval in shape but with sharp edges, the lights flashed and the eyes to the soul lightened, inviting
me into the slightly nippy yet comforting interior. Alcantara surrounded me, as I carefully slipped into the cockpit of this fine machine. After a few
seconds of taking in the spectacular view of a slightly brown GMC truck in front of me, I buckled my safety belt and allowed the engine to come to life,
6 cylinders firing in a very German-like 1-5-3-6-2-4 sequence. The bass filled the cabin, a deep tone that was neither aggravating nor relaxing, as I
reached for the perfectly-weighted shift knob and transitioned it into reverse. The journey began...

Later...

The final stop light glared that bright shade of red it so likes to display to me. Sometimes I wonder if it only picks on me, but this thought slid
to the back of my mind as I reached for the gear lever to move to first. A few agonizing seconds pass as I hope that nobody turns onto the road in front of me for the beginning of the stretch of windy road I regularly drove in the dry. Those seconds seemed like hours, but eventually the lights did change, and I initiated my slow launch, ensuring the tires didn't slip too much.
I drove for what must have been half a mile before I came to a road slightly snowier than the ones before it. I came to a stop and pondered how much fun this road would be if...
In a few seconds, the traction control light and the Brake light both glowed a lovely shade of yellow on my instrument cluster, as a smile spread across my face like a plague. The mind clicked, and the foot released from the clutch, the sound of that Bavarian glory being unleased from under the rear tires. The car slid slightly as it tried to gain traction, and despite of the lack of a limited-slip diff, it found no issues in propelling my desires forward.

It would have been irresponsible to continue at that pace, so I slightly slowed down and collected my thoughts. Yes, it was fun, but I had to remain civil, otherwise things wouldn't have ended so well. It's too bad my brain wasn't quite convinced of this as a corner approached.

The steering wheel turned slightly left, then sharply right as the throttle opened up a bit. The engine complied, providing the burst of acceleration it was called for, and the rear wheels happily let go as though they wanted to say "Look ma, no hands!". The joy once again spread across my face as my head tilted towards the direction I was going, and my hands did the duty they were there to perform. If you were to look at the steering wheel at that moment, you only would've seen a blur, as the steering wheel went from the right to the left to counter the evils of losing control. From an outsider's perspective, the car was dancing all alone in a road covered with the flavorful sprinkling of white stuff to grace all of those who seeked the same entertainment.

As I sat there in the car, engine idling, shifter in neutral, and the road just as deserted as before, I fully realized just why I still lived in the northeast.

danewilson77
01-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Speechless.

kayger12
01-13-2011, 04:06 AM
You have a gift, BP- beautifully written.

Rayzah Blade
01-13-2011, 08:24 AM
That was awesome Botond!!!

I don't mind the snow really. I mostly mind the drivers who have lived their whole lives and act like it's the first time they've driven in snow.. every time it snows. I personally love driving in the snow, more so since I bought my blizzak-equipped xi :)
Tooling around last night/ this morning was loads of fun, that thing is like an abrahms tank!!
Fall is my favorite time of year, and there's no place that does it better than new england. That's why I choose to live in this otherwise horrid section of the US :)

zhp43867
01-13-2011, 08:27 AM
The steering wheel turned slightly left, then sharply right as the throttle opened up a bit. The engine complied, providing the burst of acceleration it was called for, and the rear wheels happily let go as though they wanted to say "Look ma, no hands!". The joy once again spread across my face as my head tilted towards the direction I was going, and my hands did the duty they were there to perform. If you were to look at the steering wheel at that moment, you only would've seen a blur, as the steering wheel went from the right to the left to counter the evils of losing control. From an outsider's perspective, the car was dancing all alone in a road covered with the flavorful sprinkling of white stuff to grace all of those who seeked the same entertainment.

As I sat there in the car, engine idling, shifter in neutral, and the road just as deserted as before, I fully realized just why I still lived in the northeast.

iseewhatyoudidthere :shifty

Waka... Flocka...

DESANT
01-13-2011, 04:50 PM
That was awesome Botond!!!

I don't mind the snow really. I mostly mind the drivers who have lived their whole lives and act like it's the first time they've driven in snow.. every time it snows.

+1
Snow + cellphone = 25 miles/h on HWY :(