PDA

View Full Version : Winter blues got me thinking...

az3579
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
This morning while eradicating the snow off my car, I got to thinking. Is the snow brush you can get at any auto store bad for the paint? Does it scratch? I'm trying to think of other ways to get the snow off the car but I'm struggling to find any.

Also, I like to go down to the do-it-yourself car wash to power wash the crap off the car and also was wondering if the brushes they have there really are that bad for your paint. Anyone have any actual experience with one of these brushes causing swirls or other nasties to the paint?

kayger12
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I don't trust those brushes. I just use a mf towel to push the snow off.

az3579
01-12-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't trust those brushes. I just use a mf towel to push the snow off.

With the amount of snow we just got, that simply isn't an option.

kayger12
01-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Miyagi say, always option.

I've taken that much off with mf. Start from the top and shave off 5 or 6 inches at a time.

Takes some time, but the quick solution is usually not the best one.

az3579
01-12-2011, 02:54 PM
Miyagi say, always option.

I've taken that much off with mf. Start from the top and shave off 5 or 6 inches at a time.

Takes some time, but the quick solution is usually not the best one.

That doesn't take into account the frozen fingers that results from using that method.

danewilson77
01-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Use a broom to remove major bulk....then a winter gloved MF towel hand to remove down to the paint?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kayger12
01-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Gloves, Botond. I was thinking you'd be wearing some gloves, my friend.

danewilson77
01-12-2011, 03:54 PM
:rofl

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

M0nk3y
01-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I usually use my snowbrush to get down to about an inch to the paint, then use hands/gloves to push the rest off.

Going all the way to the paint, you will cause damage.

Brushes at the touchless bays are not good, stay away from them and just use the water to clean the car off

Marcus-SanDiego
01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
I used to use gloves to get the snow off my car. Very gently.

mimalmo
01-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I have 100 naked virgins clear off the snow with their body heat.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-12-2011, 05:00 PM

Hmmmmmmm.

az3579
01-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Gloves, Botond. I was thinking you'd be wearing some gloves, my friend.

There are no gloves that keep MY hands warm outside. I've tried countless pairs, that ain't happening.

JASMI88
01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
No glove keeps you warm enough once they're wet from handling snow.
I got one of those soft tufted brush and remove the snow gently. The automatic car wash brushes though are deadly for the paint. I used to frequent the automatic car washes with previous cars and always found swirls. I would rather keep it dirty until I have time than go to an automatic car wash.

Again, I must add: No glove keeps you warm enough once they're wet from handling snow.... unless you're using those gloves to remove snow in places like San Diego. LOL

JASMI88
01-12-2011, 08:54 PM

I haven't been able to find that kind of car wash up here. What keyword search do we use for a 100 naked virgin car wash?? LOL

az3579
01-13-2011, 02:58 AM

Thank you. :)

I got one of those soft tufted brush and remove the snow gently. The automatic car wash brushes though are deadly for the paint. I used to frequent the automatic car washes with previous cars and always found swirls. I would rather keep it dirty until I have time than go to an automatic car wash.

I'm not talking about an automatic. I'm talking about one of those that you park into a bay and you wash it yourself with the power washer and the foaming brush. A friend of mine was saying it's camel hair or boar's hair (I don't remember) and that it doesn't scratch the paint. That's why I'm asking; I wasn't sure how true this statement could be.

Again, I must add: No glove keeps you warm enough once they're wet from handling snow.... unless you're using those gloves to remove snow in places like San Diego. LOL

This.

kayger12
01-13-2011, 03:27 AM

You guys are killing me.
Waterproof.
Windproof.
Winter.
Gloves.

I'm not sure what you guys are using for gloves, but with the gloves I use I could clean off 5 cars and then shove my hands in a snow bank for an hour, and they'd still keep my hands warm.

I spent a few hours yesterday clearing off cars and snow blowing driveways. I had the same pair of gloves on. I handled lots of snow. I still had warm hands.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-01-13_07-12-01_79.jpg

az3579
01-13-2011, 06:33 AM
You guys are killing me.
Waterproof.
Windproof.
Winter.
Gloves.

I'm not sure what you guys are using for gloves, but with the gloves I use I could clean off 5 cars and then shove my hands in a snow bank for an hour, and they'd still keep my hands warm.

I spent a few hours yesterday clearing off cars and snow blowing driveways. I had the same pair of gloves on. I handled lots of snow. I still had warm hands.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-01-13_07-12-01_79.jpg

You're not understanding, Keith... just because it keeps your hands warm, doesn't mean it'll keep my hands warm. lol
I've tried all kinds of gloves, including ones like the pair you just posted, and my fingers were still ice cold!

Regardless, I got my answer already: the foaming brush will scratch the car, and so will the bristles of the snow brush thingy. Done. :)
Thanks for the answers, all.

kayger12
01-13-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm with you, BP. Was responding more to the, "no gloves keep you warm enough" line.

All good.

Glad you got your answer.

az3579
01-13-2011, 08:01 AM
My bad, should've specified "keep ME warm enough". :dunno

M0nk3y
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
How about you try some snowboarding gloves?

I spent about $70 on my Gloves, but they have a liner then a shell. On 20 degree days my hand sweats if I have both layers on.

Just a thought

danewilson77
01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
But they wont keep HIM warm...

az3579
01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
How about you try some snowboarding gloves?

I spent about $70 on my Gloves, but they have a liner then a shell. On 20 degree days my hand sweats if I have both layers on.

Just a thought

$70 is a little much; is there anything like an "entry level" version of that for less? The most I really want to spend is about $25, and that's kind of pushing it. But, for the right glove, I'll spend the money.
I'm going snowmobiling for the first time at the end of February and will need some awesome gloves to keep my hands from falling off. Do you have a link for the pair you have?

M0nk3y
01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
They are last year's model, so they aren't on sites anymore.

Here is a similar pair though. I highly recommended this site. They rock when it comes to customer service. If you don't like the product, you can return it for free. No questions asked

http://www.altrec.com/burton/mens-gore-under-gloves

az3579
01-13-2011, 07:21 PM
One things I'm noticing is "Thermacore insulation". I've seen this tag on a couple of gloves at WalMart. Is this mainly what allows it to keep your hands toasty? Do you think the gloves at WalMart might do the trick?
These seem very specialized, and look quite bulky. I don't know how well I would be able to drive in these as occasionally I'll be using them for driving as well. Mainly outdoor use though... (WHY THE HECK DIDN'T THEY HAVE HEATED STEERING WHEELS ON E46's BACK THEN?????)

kayger12
01-13-2011, 07:35 PM
One things I'm noticing is "Thermacore insulation". I've seen this tag on a couple of gloves at WalMart. Is this mainly what allows it to keep your hands toasty? Do you think the gloves at WalMart might do the trick?
These seem very specialized, and look quite bulky. I don't know how well I would be able to drive in these as occasionally I'll be using them for driving as well. Mainly outdoor use though... (WHY THE HECK DIDN'T THEY HAVE HEATED STEERING WHEELS ON E46's BACK THEN?????)

Good insulation helps, but they have to have a water barrier to keep your hands dry- otherwise you they will be no good once they get wet.

The ones I have would suck to drive with. They are just thick.

mimalmo
01-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Gloves from Walmart suck. Get them from a store that specializes in ski/snowboard gear. Good gloves are an investment and you'll own them for years if you take care of them.

az3579
01-14-2011, 02:51 AM
I'll have to check then because I have no idea where to even start looking. I'm sure Google will help me find a store nearby somewhere...