PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Refurbishing your rear deck [ZHP Sedan w/o folding seats] doityourself

alexandre
09-02-2012, 11:50 AM
One of the first things I did when I took possession of my new car was to replace the rear deck speaker covers. They were badly discolored by the sun and just made the car look cheap and old. While doing so, I noticed that my rear deck's anthrazit fabric had faded to a weird blue/purple because of the sun. This DIY takes things further and will teach you how completely refurbish your rear deck and make it look like it came out of the showroom yesterday.

Keep in mind my car is a ZHP sedan, with no folding seats. YMMV for coupes, verts, and vehicles with folding seats.

First things first, here are the materials and tools you will need for this project.

2x H/K rear deck speaker covers - PN #51468213972, ~$20 ea.
1 can of Duplicolor HVP106 Flat Black Vinyl & Fabric Coating ~$5
A few sheets of newspaper :)

Torx T50 Screwdriver
13mm and 8mm sockets
Small flathead screwdriver/butter knife

1. Remove your 3 rear headrests. They're a bit hard to remove, so make sure you pull them up in the right direction. Wiggle a bit if they seem stuck.

2. Remove the seats. For the lower section, grab under the front and pull up. It should pop out pretty easily. For the back section, grab where the seats meet the rear deck, and pull towards you. They are held in the same way.

3. Remove the 4 pop rivets along the edge of the rear deck. You have to push the center part towards the ground. You may lose it if you push it too far - they cost a few cents at the dealership so you might have to replace them. PN #51467002606.

4. Remove the 3 baby seat anchors. They have plastic caps on them, and 13mm nuts under them.

5. Remove the 2 speakers. Be careful with the H/K covers if you are not replacing them - the clips are pretty fragile. Remove the 3 8mm nuts on each speaker and put away.

6. Pop out your C-pillar lights with your flathead screwdriver. Again, be careful as the clear plastic cover is quite fragile. Unplug and put away.

7. Pop out your C-pillar covers. They have 2 plastic nuts that hold them to the body - pull the cover from the top towards you. Be careful again as there is a small plastic nut at the bottom that I broke when pulling out the cover. I fixed it with Gorilla glue.

8. Unscrew the left and right seat belts (T50). You will be able to remove the plastic trim parts the hold the belts to the deck and pass everything through. Do the same for the center seat belt.

9. Remove all the small plastic trim parts that are still attached to the rear deck (headrest pass-through, center seat belt holder, etc.

10. Lay approx. 7ft by 4ft of newspaper on your wall or on a wood support. You want to do the job vertically because the paint doesn't spray evenly if the can is horizontal.

11. Thoroughly clean your rear deck. This means you'll have to clean it with water and a drop of dishwasher soap, scrub with a carpet brush like this one (http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-155900-Mothers-Carpet-Upholstery/dp/B001GJ3E5C) and rinse. Let the deck dry completely.

12. Apply 2 or 3 even coats of dye to the fabric, or until the finish is uniformly black. Wait 15 mins between coats. It took me 3/4 of a can to have a perfect finish. Let dry during 24h (you want to do this even if Duplicolor says it dries in 30 mins, otherwise your car will smell like paint for a few days).

13. While waiting, use the downtime to clean up under your seats. I found business cards, photos, money, as well as a bunch of leaves and sand!

13. Put everything back together. Don't forget your new speaker covers! Also, use some black plastic protectant on all the black trim for a perfect look.

Hornung418
09-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Nice DIY. Cody and I did this in the M3. It's weird how it turns blue in the sun...

Only thing we didn't do was put it back in ;)

Horney...via TT.

WOLFN8TR
09-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Here is one that Hermes did with folding seats.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showpost.php?p=102463

ELCID86
09-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Doing my deck today. I assume it's easier with folding rear seats.

ELCID86
09-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

ELCID86
09-20-2014, 12:42 PM

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

mLuMaN83
09-22-2014, 08:19 PM
I did this while doing my speakers. Make sure you get some rubber strips or something to catch the vibration and stop that deck rattle while you are in there. I also stuffed a bunch of Poly-Down in between the stinky crayon pad and the deck cover. Helps with noise. Also, that smell, it's not entirely the yellow pad stuff, I actually smelled the strongest areas being under the rear seats. It's the black gluey rubbery stuff. Stinks!

Stewbie
01-03-2016, 01:36 PM
One of the first things I did when I took possession of my new car was to replace the rear deck speaker covers. They were badly discolored by the sun and just made the car look cheap and old. While doing so, I noticed that my rear deck's anthrazit fabric had faded to a weird blue/purple because of the sun. This DIY takes things further and will teach you how completely refurbish your rear deck and make it look like it came out of the showroom yesterday.

Keep in mind my car is a ZHP sedan, with no folding seats. YMMV for coupes, verts, and vehicles with folding seats.

1. Remove your 3 rear headrests. They're a bit hard to remove, so make sure you pull them up in the right direction. Wiggle a bit if they seem stuck.

2. Remove the seats. For the lower section, grab under the front and pull up. It should pop out pretty easily. For the back section, grab where the seats meet the rear deck, and pull towards you. They are held in the same way.

Any pics?

My ZHP is also a sedan without a folding rear seat. No pass-thru either, just the fold down armrest. I want to remove the rear seat back. Is there just two clips like the seat bottom? Are they in roughly the same place as the seat bottom clips? It's hard to get my fingers into the gap between the seat back and the rear deck so I want to be pulling in the right place. :)

Scott ZHP
01-15-2016, 03:06 PM
I need to do this; mine's turned a wierd shade of purple too.

I've had it out once to install the sunshade; not really looking forward to reinstalling the sunshade clips; they're made of unobtanium - not available separately.

Vas
06-20-2016, 10:26 AM
Need to do this DYI on Sketchi

Also the price has jumped up alot for the speaker covers.

They are now $75 each. Part number 51468213972

NoVAphotog
06-20-2016, 10:43 AM

Crazy. Good thing I managed to get mine back in...

Vas
06-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Crazy. Good thing I managed to get mine back in...

Fairfax BMW puts them at $70 each.

Crazy how they jumped up in price and almost cost the same as the c-pillars.

Are they pretty fragile when removing? Biggest reason I did not paint the deck yet is not wanting to destroy the fragile plastic parts.

fw_fw
06-20-2016, 11:09 AM

Are they pretty fragile when removing? Biggest reason I did not paint the deck yet is not wanting to destroy the fragile plastic parts.

The ones on my Coupe came off easy enough, but definitely not the sturdiest of construction. Had to apply some Goop to the back of mine to help reinforce it.

NoVAphotog
06-20-2016, 11:21 AM

The actual mesh part is fine, it's the part where it says Harmon/Kardon that snaps off easily. Just be careful of that.

alexandre
06-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Jesus!

Johnmadd
06-26-2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I need to do this. Mine is navy blue :facepalm

fredo
07-15-2016, 10:51 AM
Just to compare, this is mine. Still looks good to me, perhaps the car has been garaged most of its life.

NoVAphotog
07-16-2016, 04:35 AM
Just to compare, this is mine. Still looks good to me, perhaps the car has been garaged most of its life.

Is it still black? Can't tell in the light.

fredo
07-22-2016, 11:47 AM
Daniel, to compare I used one of my black shirts (right side). My rear deck is almost black.

SCA
01-25-2017, 09:30 AM

Yes! Absolutely insane!! $85 from ECS and $79 from Husker. At least with ECS shipping is free.

ELCID86
01-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Looks good. Mine was purple!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170126/80afd000bdf17cfe46d14ed29137ab90.jpg

Vas
01-25-2017, 04:48 PM
I need to do this in the spring