PDA

View Full Version : Need advice: Lightweight flywheel + clutch

Dek
09-05-2012, 06:42 AM
My Brothers,

My 04 ZHP 6MT has a failing dual-mass flywheel. I apparently bought the car this way, and have been chasing this issue on my own for a while, but conceded and consulted with my indy. The dual-mass flywheel mechanism is bad, creating a ton of slack in the drive line. We both got under the car and he showed me exactly what was happening.

I'm sold on a single-mass flywheel, and I'm aware of the downsides to this type of setup (had one in my 318ti), but want some advice from the Family on what products are recommended. I see many solutions for 5MT's, but am having a harder time finding 6MT solutions. I believe UUC has a kit, but I'm all about due diligence and wanted some other products for comparison as well as some Family suggestions from experience.

Anyone out there running a single-mass flywheel setup? How did you like it? Why did you choose a particular brand? Any pitfalls I should watch out for?

TLDR:
I'm looking for advice on which lightweight fly+clutch kit to purchase for DD street/light track for an 04 ZHP 6MT.

Salute,
Dek

nike001
09-05-2012, 07:13 AM
If you want quality, I'd go with another OEM one. BMW clearly used a dual-mass for a reason

Newjack
09-05-2012, 07:44 AM
If you want quality, I'd go with another OEM one. BMW clearly used a dual-mass for a reason

+1

Hornung418
09-05-2012, 07:49 AM
OEM or a 20 pound single mass. LTW flywheels don't do any good for a Street Car. If it was a track car, maybe, but the harmonics issue would be severely amplified.

Nomar06
09-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Can you explain a bit of what the indy showed you? Curious to what they said and showed you.

M3TA5IN
09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
OEM or a 20 pound single mass. LTW flywheels don't do any good for a Street Car. If it was a track car, maybe, but the harmonics issue would be severely amplified.

X2

I read a lot on this topic and people that did go aftermarket ended up going back to OEM.

Sent from my fancy city machine.

Johal E32
09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
oem.

static667
09-05-2012, 04:38 PM

X3

M0nk3y
09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Unless you like chatter, stay away. I've driven a car with a LTW flywheel and it's very loud at idle. It does grab like none other and the decrease weight in rotational weight makes the car take off.

Would I do it? Yes, but I'd stay away from single mass.

derbo
09-05-2012, 09:18 PM
I stuck with an OEM clutch and OEM Flywheel for reliability since my car is about 90% daily driving 10% track duty. IMO, Less chatter, and if your power levels don't warrant a better clutch there really isn't a reason for a stronger clutch/lighter flywheel.

Junior2552
09-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Once you go to a single mass, you need to change up fluids and such as well because it's so loud. UUC does make a kit, and I'm pretty sure they use an M5 clutch or something? I would check right now, but I'm technically at work. Oops

Taliben
09-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Once you go to a single mass, you need to change up fluids and such as well because it's so loud. UUC does make a kit, and I'm pretty sure they use an M5 clutch or something? I would check right now, but I'm technically at work. Oops

My buddy has that UUC M5 clutch+flywheel conversion and that shit will put some leg muscles on you in a matter of days, plus it's very chatter-y at idle.

M0nk3y
09-29-2012, 01:43 PM
My buddy has that UUC M5 clutch+flywheel conversion and that shit will put some leg muscles on you in a matter of days, plus it's very chatter-y at idle.

Depends on what you're using it for, it's an awesome upgrade.

You'd be amazed at the jolt you get in 2nd gear. Driving a E36 M with a JB LTW Flywheel and into 2nd gear it throws me into the back of the seat, much more aggressively than my car.

Taliben
10-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Haha yeah, we're talking about an active stage 2 s/c car putting around 400 hp to the wheel, so it's not your normal zhp.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Secono330ci
10-14-2012, 06:21 PM
A Lightweight flywheel is a huge plus. The pros outweigh the cons ..yes it chatters at idle but talk about drivetrain loss. It's like the car being 400lbs lighter in 1st gear. Anyone using the car for extended track use should pair it up with an ATI Damper to offset the vibrations.

I've driven a UUC Stage 3 lightweight flywheel/clutch on a TS2 ZHP and it works nicely.

Stage 1 works perfect for pretty much any street car. One recommendation is the OE Sachs Unit, but the "HD" version with a JB Flywheel.