PDA

View Full Version : Best solution for Bluetooth phone calls, and maybe music too

telijah
09-06-2012, 08:59 AM
So, I've always thought the Parrot/Connect2 was the only way to get a closest-to-stock method of getting to use my phone via Bluetooth to work with my stock stereo and steering wheel. After reading through here though, there seems to be a few options, but which exact one works best for me is slipping by me somehow and hoping someone can lay it out for me.

Mine ride is a 2001 330i, and I upgraded my stock head unit to one with the MODE button. I do not have any factory nav installed or anything. Is the Parrot/Connect2 still the proper method? Or can I go with a DICE MediaBridge? If I use the MediaBridge, does that come with a mic, or do I have to purchase one separately?

johnrando
09-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Wish I could help you. I just know that my Parrot/Connects2 works. I don't see why it wouldn't work with your setup, as Parrot has tons of models, so just check their site out. www.parrot.com. Not sure about what MediaBridge offers. It would seem that if you could get bluetooth and ipod in one solution, that would be better, which I am guessing MediaBridge would provide.

ryankokesh
09-06-2012, 11:04 AM
I just ordered a Mediabridge yesterday (after much research). I can document the install process if you like, but that'll most likely be next week.

And yeah, it does come with a mic. I'm trying to figure out how to hack in an active noise-cancelling mic to make it a bit better. I guess I'll give theirs a shot first, though.

328ioc
10-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I just ordered a Mediabridge yesterday (after much research). I can document the install process if you like, but that'll most likely be next week.

And yeah, it does come with a mic. I'm trying to figure out how to hack in an active noise-cancelling mic to make it a bit better. I guess I'll give theirs a shot first, though.

Ryan, did you ever have a chance to document you install and how have you liked it so far?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ryankokesh
10-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Install was super easy. Love it so far, except my iPhone 5 will semi disconnect sometimes during navigation using apple maps. So every so often I'll hear "phone connected" from the mediabridge. Not sure if that's an iPhone problem or mediabridge problem. Also, if I crank it up playing music over bt I get some noise artifacts I can discern in the quiet parts of songs or when nothing is playing. Not there for the iPod though.

All in all I'm very pleased. Especially with the addition of an iOttie automatic window mount for my phone. Just pop in in and go. (They're on amazon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

328ioc
10-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Install was super easy. Love it so far, except my iPhone 5 will semi disconnect sometimes during navigation using apple maps. So every so often I'll hear "phone connected" from the mediabridge. Not sure if that's an iPhone problem or mediabridge problem. Also, if I crank it up playing music over bt I get some noise artifacts I can discern in the quiet parts of songs or when nothing is playing. Not there for the iPod though.

All in all I'm very pleased. Especially with the addition of an iOttie automatic window mount for my phone. Just pop in in and go. (They're on amazon)

Awesome. Two other questions I came up with in my research.

Do you have the trunk wired version or the back of the radio one?

Also we don't have dsp do we? Bav sound has the option to get the dsp adapter but nothing I have seen says whether or not you need it.

ryankokesh
10-06-2012, 08:56 AM
I think you can wire it to either the trunk or the back of the head unit, but personally I despise taking out those top vents to get to the HU. So I just ran it to the trunk, which was surprisingly easy. Might want to pick up a trim removal tool, but besides that it's cake.

And no, we don't have DSP so no need to do anything with that.

Also, we have the same avg fuel economy. Rock on! :rockon

328ioc
10-06-2012, 10:48 AM
I think you can wire it to either the trunk or the back of the head unit, but personally I despise taking out those top vents to get to the HU. So I just ran it to the trunk, which was surprisingly easy. Might want to pick up a trim removal tool, but besides that it's cake.

And no, we don't have DSP so no need to do anything with that.

Also, we have the same avg fuel economy. Rock on! :rockon

Awesome. Sounds like the trunk might be the way to go then.

Also does voice recognition work? I have heard some people say it does and some say it doesnt.

Fyi i just read an install article in the October roundel.

ryankokesh
10-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Siri wrote this at a stoplight but it's a little harder when you're driving.

ryankokesh
10-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Only took one try too.

ryankokesh
10-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Just cracked open this month's Roundel to find a multi-page article on the mediabridge.

328ioc
10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Yep. I saw it too.

Dave_B
01-27-2013, 03:29 PM
I didn't see it get answered...

Will the Parrot/Connect2 setup play music via BT? Or will this only work for phone calls?