PDA

View Full Version : Nav CD Player not working

prowlerflyer
09-09-2012, 07:13 AM
A couple of days ago I was playing CDs in the Mk4 Nav unit, and everything was going fine. Then, when I change to a new CD, the CD player hasn't played since. The CDs go in and out just fine, and the screen displays "CD TR", but I have no control functionality or audio at all. I've checked all the fuses, and the connections to the amp in the trunk. All are good. All other functions in the head unit work fine, Nav, radio, and Sirius.

I'm wondering if the CD player has just died. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

prowlerflyer
09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Nobody's got anything?

NorCalZman
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Hm, beats me. is there a way to reset the unit? maybe by disconnecting the battery? If you cant get it working you should install a AUX kit and play from your ipod or smart phone. Mine works great that way.

JupiterBMW
09-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Again, ZHP problems and Florida must go together. My nav unit all works fine, but it appears that the CD drive motor has died as the disc in there won't come out. No noise or anything when I press the eject button. I'm just assuming age...? I'm over it personally as I will go with the aux connection for iPhone connectivity.

Sent from my iPhone 4/4S hybrid on Tapatalk...

johnrando
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Try cycling through the MODEs again?

prowlerflyer
09-10-2012, 05:49 PM
I may try the battery disconnect.

It cycles through all the mods just fine. The odd part is when a Cd is inserted CD TR is displayed but, the radio continues to keep playing.

I'm assuming there's no way to get these head units repaired? Seems like a waste to replace the entire head unit for just a failed CD player.

I could switch over to the Dinivin unit, but I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go.

I do have the aux hook-up thanks to Charlie!

NorCalZman
09-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Honestly I didn't know anyone used CDs anymore. Haha. Good luck!

nike001
09-11-2012, 06:36 AM
I could switch over to the Dinivin unit, but I'm not sure if that's the way I want to go.

If it wasn't so crazy to swap nav into a non-nav car, I'd urge you to get the dynavin so I could take your current nav off your hands ;)

A lot of people do.. but when you have an aux input like most of us...and most new cars nowadays, then CD's aren't really worth it.

I keep usually 1 CD in my car at all times for rainy days where I don't feel like using aux. For a while it was Jay-Z's blueprint 3, but I'll say now that it's Drakes Take Care CD currently residing in my player.

johnrando
09-11-2012, 06:41 AM
Yup, I keep 1 CD in my car too, I burned it with various favorite tunes.

prowlerflyer
09-11-2012, 08:23 AM

I don't really use CD's either, with the exception of I was attempting to try books on CD during my commute. I am in the car for about an hour fifteen each way, and my work has a huge library of free books on CD.

This is a factory Nav unit.