PDA

View Full Version : Mixing PS & PS2?

gabriellebosco
09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
It's a long and unfortunate story why, but I have one year old (~10,000 miles) Michelin Pilot Sports on the rear and brand new PS2s up front. Does anyone have experience or thoughts on mixing these tires? Thanks!

danewilson77
09-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Shouldn't be a issue.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

jreyes19
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I don't think it should be an issue
and
I will be honest I clicked this thread because I thought you were talking about playstation games

Crestwood1001
09-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Same haha

gabriellebosco
09-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Ha! Is it obvious now I'm not a guy?

johnrando
09-13-2012, 07:37 PM
Same haha

I don't think it should be an issue
and
I will be honest I clicked this thread because I thought you were talking about playstation games

In the tire thread? We know where your heads are at. :rofl

gabriellebosco
09-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Never would have occurred to me! A little background may change the responses here... I have a baby now which as a mom means 1.) my track days are pretty much over and 2.) on occasion I will have precious cargo in the back of that car so it cannot be unsafe for regular driving in wet/dry conditions (I do have an SUV and separate snow tires/wheels for winters in NJ). Considering this, and framing the question again as more of a safety/handling issue vs. a high performance issue, does it effect the response? Not that I want to give up performance, just more concerned about control. Really appreciate the feedback!

zhpnsnv
09-14-2012, 03:09 AM
I would just make sure your best/newest tires are on the rear if it's at all possible (your sizes may be staggered).

danewilson77
09-14-2012, 03:52 AM
I would just make sure your best/newest tires are on the rear if it's at all possible (your sizes may be staggered).

If not....you're still good. Marc wants your best tires on rear for traction/performance. Your best bet is to have them up front as a tire issue up front (steerage) is much worse than rear.

Imho

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

johnrando
09-14-2012, 07:11 AM
Yup, still good. It's OK to have "mismatched" tires given that the two across from each other match, especially given that this will be a milder driving sitch.

echo46
09-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Yea, I just bought a set of Style 68 wheels for my E36. They came with ContiProContacts up front and Sumitomos in the rear. Both almost new. Not ecstatic about the Sumitomos but they will do for the winter. Anyway, the car drives and handle perfectly with the different brands. You are even in a better situation as you are running the same brand. Problems occur when you attempt to run different tires in the front or te the back. The tires have different speed ratings, wear time etc so it could become a problem as the tires wear and you will feel it in the handling of the car.

Mike V
09-15-2012, 07:06 AM
Pilot Sport in the rear or Pilot Super Sport? If they are Pilot Sports, you have a potentially dangerous setup there. The "max performance summer" PS2 is considerably grippier than those "all season" Pilot Sports. With the front gripping better than the rear, be aware that if you're in the mood to do some spirited driving on a twisty road or if you need to do a quick accident avoidance maneuver, the car could swap ends on you pretty quick.

johnrando
03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
So what are your thoughts about the difference between Pilot SuperSports and PS2s? For a set of 4, the cost difference is about $340.

wsmeyer
03-27-2013, 03:57 PM
So what are your thoughts about the difference between Pilot SuperSports and PS2s? For a set of 4, the cost difference is about $340.

I love my SuperSports. Somewhat of a comparison here:

http://m.motortrend.com/features/performance/1101_testing_the_michelin_pilot_super_sport/viewall.html

johnrando
03-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Great article, thanks. Supersports it is!

wsmeyer
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I bought mine at America's Tire. 1,022 with tax, mounting, balancing.