PDA

View Full Version : Father and son ZHP thread.

BRGcoopahS
09-13-2012, 04:54 PM
So I decided to make a project thread for my fathers car. Mainly because in the near future, the car should be mine. He is in his 60's and understandably wants something more his age. (Cadillac Deville :eeps) He absolutely loves the car, he always gets on it on the hi-way when I'm riding with him. (and probably does alot on his own) He loves the looks of the ZHP and the body lines with the top down, and loves how smooth the straight 6 is. He just would probably rather have it as a weekend car. So what seems like is going to happen is this. Buy Caddy. Put MINI in garage until its sold. I drive the ZHP, and then take over it fully once the my car is sold.

Inheriting a ZHP? I got no complaints! Honestly, I'm pretty sure he bought the car with that in mind.

SO here she is when we first got her at the dealer.55,7XX miles

http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/IMG_1340.jpg
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/IMG_1362-3.jpg
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/IMG_1366.jpg

First "mod" No holes license plate frame 56,7XX miles
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/da3c302c.jpg

First bit of maintenance. Oil change, cabin filter, and air filter. Still gotta change the plugs.~59,5XX miles
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/IMG_0166.jpg

Most recently: Took out the DISA and repaired it with the kit from GAS. Car was severely cutting back power around 3.5-4.5k rpms, way more than just a power dip. 62,4XX miles
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/IMG_0896.jpg

The Disa didnt seem to be stuck open or anything, and the vacuum seal was fine. But cleaning it and putting in the new parts fixed the stuttering completely.

Next? Most likely an aux unit to play my music through my iPhone.

danewilson77
09-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Nice thread idea. Congrats on the rake.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

328ioc
09-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Like the thread.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

johnrando
09-13-2012, 07:43 PM
Very cool, you're a lucky guy.

JupiterBMW
09-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Agreed, quite a nice inheritance...

BRGcoopahS
09-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys. Ill keep you guys posted whether or not this actually happens.

I gotta say though, im going to miss my MINI ALOT. Its honestly way more fun to drive, not as fun to live with, but for spirited driving, it blows the doors off the ZHP. (its only 1,100 lbs lighter than the convertible) No disrespect to anyone.

derbo
09-13-2012, 08:57 PM
looking forward to more updates!

webster
09-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys. Ill keep you guys posted whether or not this actually happens.

I gotta say though, im going to miss my MINI ALOT. Its honestly way more fun to drive, not as fun to live with, but for spirited driving, it blows the doors off the ZHP. (its only 1,100 lbs lighter than the convertible) No disrespect to anyone.

no disrespect at all. i've always wanted to drive a mini. never have. bet they're a blast!

congrats on the plan for ZHP ownership. and the car looks great!

johnrando
09-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Plus one. No disrespect received. I had a mini cooper S loaner from BMW and it was an absolute blast to drive. While I prefer my ZHP, the mini blew the doors off wrt pure fun "racey" driving.

nike001
09-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Nice OP.

I don't think I've ever seen you mention this before.. but how old are you?

BRGcoopahS
09-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Edit: just got a text from him. He just bought a deville. Picking it up next week. Looks like my MINI is for sale.

BRGcoopahS
09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Little update on the last update. So my father found a Deville that he really liked. 2002 with 45k miles, says its perfect. Paid $8600 and he'll be picking it up this friday or saturday.

Once he picks it up I'm taking over the ZHP. I'll only be using my MINI for work. If anyone is interested in a MINI, $12,000. Probably by next week I'll post a for sale thread here.

danewilson77
09-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Once he picks it up I'm taking over the ZHP.

I just got tingly in my secret place.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

BRGcoopahS
09-17-2012, 06:54 PM
wohh hey there now.

I cant wait to start driving her regularly. But the day my MINI is sold will be a sad, sad day for me. :crying

zhpnsnv
09-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Yea mini trumps zhp in certain situations, though they weren't enough for me to keep my MCS.

HOWEVER, I am going to drive a GP in three weeks. It's for sale. I want it. :)

Good luck with the vert!

BRGcoopahS
09-18-2012, 05:25 AM
I have only seen a GP twice. That's the ultimate MINI. You're talking about the original one or the new one?

Crickett
09-18-2012, 05:25 AM
[ . . . ] Once he picks it up I'm taking over the ZHP. I'll only be using my MINI for work. [ . . . ]

[ . . . ] I cant wait to start driving her regularly. But the day my MINI is sold will be a sad, sad day for me. :crying

+1 congrats on the excellent inheritance! :roundel As for the Mini . . . keep 'er around for weekend / track duty & really exploit it's fun handling? :dunno

zhpnsnv
09-18-2012, 05:37 AM
I have only seen a GP twice. That's the ultimate MINI. You're talking about the original one or the new one?

R53 is the only GP I recognize. I'm going to drive it and I'll either be hooked or I won't. We shall see. My R53 had about as much power, so we will see if the whole package is "special" as it is with the zhp.

BRGcoopahS
09-18-2012, 07:14 AM
+1 congrats on the excellent inheritance! :roundel As for the Mini . . . keep 'er around for weekend / track duty & really exploit it's fun handling? :dunno

I wish, not my choice. I'm forced to sell her to pay for the Caddy he just bought. He originally bought me the MINI and had me pay the payments. Then I lost my job and couldnt make the payments. Its either sell the MINI, or the ZHP he bought only 6 months ago. Its pretty logical to sell the older car.

R53 is the only GP I recognize. I'm going to drive it and I'll either be hooked or I won't. We shall see. My R53 had about as much power, so we will see if the whole package is "special" as it is with the zhp.

http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/05/12/world-premier-the-2013-jcw-gp/

zhpnsnv
09-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Yes, I understand that MINI has come out with an R56 GP, I just don't recognize it as a true GP since it's not an R53. I'm religious like that. The aero stuff on the new one is cool, though.

BRGcoopahS
09-18-2012, 07:35 AM
ohh ok gotcha. Yea I could see that. Nothing will top the original.

johnrando
09-18-2012, 07:46 AM
Love the minis, but don't know much about them, other than the S is a blast to drive. What is a GP?

zhpnsnv
09-18-2012, 07:56 AM
http://www.motoringfile.com/2012/04/13/an-ode-to-the-jcw-gp/

Basically, same idea as the 1M, but with a MINI. In 06 they hopped it up as far as they could (safely, engine-wise), and gave it some funky aero and wheel packages. They updated the rear suspension and took out over 100 lbs (or thereabouts) by removing the rear seats among other things.

They made 1200 and 415 came to the states. Some went for MSRP, some were gouged (as with the 1M). They're holding value pretty well - over 6 years old and hovering in the 20s for decent mileage, unmolested examples.

Edit - I lied - they made 2,000.

BRGcoopahS
09-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Well.
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/2C12ACBA-EDD8-475F-AE21-0CCD840304E1-708-000000C7B8A4ED8E_zpsf3c683f6.jpg
Thats his new car. Time to take over the ZHP soon.

EDIT: People with the verts, did they not come with CD changers? I am looking up an ipod integration kit from turner motorsports and they have one that connects thru the CD changer. I cant seem to find one in the trunk. Anyone know of a way to hook up an iphone to the stereo without the CD changer?

Johal E32
09-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Well.
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/2C12ACBA-EDD8-475F-AE21-0CCD840304E1-708-000000C7B8A4ED8E_zpsf3c683f6.jpg

EDIT: People with the verts, did they not come with CD changers? I am looking up an ipod integration kit from turner motorsports and they have one that connects thru the CD changer. I cant seem to find one in the trunk. Anyone know of a way to hook up an iphone to the stereo without the CD changer?

You could do the OEM aux input. The downside is the sound quality is probably weak..

BRGcoopahS
09-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks! Thought they made an oem unit. Sound should be fine. My MINI has the OEM aux input and the sound is great.

so then here are my upcoming plans:
-OEM aux input for iPhone
-Piano black kidney grilles
-new ZHP knob

johnrando
09-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Well.

I don't have a CD changer in the back. I have a CD in the front, inside the NAV screen, and a NAV DVD slot in the trunk. My DICE and Parrot/Connects2 are hooked up via that blue cable in the back, I guess what a CD changer would have been hooked to.

Johal E32
09-23-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks! Thought they made an oem unit. Sound should be fine. My MINI has the OEM aux input and the sound is great.

so then here are my upcoming plans:
-OEM aux input for iPhone
-Piano black kidney grilles
-new ZHP knob

Solid plan!

Although, i like the chrome grilles on your zhp. They provide a nice accent, and they look very classy!

Black would also look great!

I forgot to mention here is the OEM kit. Very very reasonably priced, http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Genuine-Auxiliary-Audio-Series/dp/B000PA00XM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348425469&sr=8-1&keywords=e46+aux

M0nk3y
09-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Nice thread, I just found this.

I remember I was in the same situation when I bought out my dad's E46 from the lease that he had. I really didn't know I was going to get it until I was 17 and he said (you got X amount of money to get this?).

BRGcoopahS
09-23-2012, 10:46 AM
I was actually thinking maybe black wouldn't look as good on a vert. Sparkling graphite with black kidneys looks great on a coupe though. So I'm not really sure why I think it wouldn't look as good.

johnrando
09-24-2012, 07:22 AM
I was actually thinking maybe black wouldn't look as good on a vert. Sparkling graphite with black kidneys looks great on a coupe though. So I'm not really sure why I think it wouldn't look as good.

Personally, I like the gloss black grills on my black vert, not sure why it wouldn't look good on SG.

BRGcoopahS
09-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Personally, I like the gloss black grills on my black vert, not sure why it wouldn't look good on SG.

Yea, on one site they're only 40 bucks. So I'm going to order them anyway. If I dont like it, I'll just sell them online.

Gonna order the piano black kidneys, new ZHP knob with the alcantara shift boot from Turner motorsports. Also the OEM auxiliary set up.

edit: anyone here do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Zd7V57DJA&feature=related

How does it sound in person? I'm not really a fan of exhaust systems unless they are extremely expensive in which case I can't afford them at all. I'm more of a fan of removing exhaust parts or making it sound more like a race set up. That brings out the natural sound of the engine more. Too many exhaust companies have that "signature" sound that only ends up dilluting the natural engine noise. My mini has a resonator delete and I love it. THe last thing I want is some magnaflow exhaust on the ZHP and it ends up sounding like some generic
aftermarket exhaust.

something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoksCRQXx0w
I'm a fan of engine noise VS exhaust noise. Id rather the exhaust make a noise related to the engine VS an exhaust that just sounds good but sounds like its "all exhaust".

derbo
09-30-2012, 12:44 PM
I think resonator deletes won't be loud enough. I also love the BMW performance kidney grilles cause they are nice a gloss black that matches the shadowline since its from BMW themselves :)

BRGcoopahS
09-30-2012, 07:18 PM
I've heard. Maybe a few more deletes and headers. ;)

How much nicer are the oem black kidneys VS lets say turner motorsports? They seem like they are nearly twice as much. Doesnt seem to be worth the difference.

328ioc
09-30-2012, 07:39 PM

How much nicer are the oem black kidneys VS lets say turner motorsports? They seem like they are nearly twice as much. Doesnt seem to be worth the difference.

I saw a video with both resonators deleted and just the muffler was left sounded kinda good. Ill send you the link in the am.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

derbo
09-30-2012, 10:48 PM

Turnermotorsports sells matte black grills for $90. TischerBMW sells the performance ones for $106. I think Khoalty is the only one to offer piano black finish as well for $5x.xx. I can't tell you if its anything better, but I certainly like OEM Fit and the gloss black matches perfectly. :)

Personally I got the OEM grilles to eliminate the hassle if I didn't like the aftermarket ones. I probably would've been happy with the aftermarket ones but I worked at a dealership and I like OEM whenever possible.

BRGcoopahS
10-10-2012, 06:48 PM
Looks like I'll be getting the OEM ones then. I'm a big OEM fan anyway. (in terms of looks)

Funny little story. As I said, my dad bought an 02 Cadillac Deville a few weeks ago to replace his ZHP (and hand over to me). Well since then, which has been 3 weeks now, he hasnt even touched the car. Its sitting in our neighbors driveway. So today I finally tell him, "when are you gonna finally start driving the car?!" He ends up telling me "ya know, everytime I come home and see that thing in the driveway I say to myself wow that is a big car. I jsut dont know if I want such a big car". I tell him didnt you think that through before you spent $8600? haha. He tells me hes already looking up alternative cars to buy instead. I told him well you're not going to know if you want it or not if you dont drive it. dirive it for a week and decide on it. He pretty much agreed with me and it looks like I'll finally be driving the bimmer. But I consequently told him I'm not going to tell him to hurry up since he is basically giving me a free bimmer. I can wait alot more time if he is going to be that generous.

Johal E32
10-10-2012, 07:17 PM
lol, tell him to buy a Merc E-class. Maybe even a 545i BMW. Those two cars I mentioned are big, but at least they are fun when you put the hammer down :)

BRGcoopahS
10-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Thing is though, he doesnt have the money. He just spent 19.6k(financing at $300/mo) on a zhp and now 8.6k on a Caddy. Trust me, if it were an option I would've told him. Enthusiast auto has a beautiful 7 series that id love him to get, but it just isnt an option.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4359&form_display=51

straight up 007 bond style, with only 33k miles.

Hell, he even told me the only older BMW's he likes are the e30 3 series and also the e34 5 series. He also said he doesnt want a car that dated looking. I say who cares. I'm way younger and would rock an e34.
http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4114&form_display=51

johnrando
10-11-2012, 07:39 AM
That M looks great, I'd rock that. What nice about the ZHPs is that they don't look dated to me... although I could be biased.

BRGcoopahS
10-15-2012, 07:47 PM
That M looks great, I'd rock that. What nice about the ZHPs is that they don't look dated to me... although I could be biased.

Although enthusiast auto is very high priced, he isn't going to be buying a car in the 20k range this time. That was just wishful thinking. He drove a C230 the other day to see how it feels. I told him before he drove it it is the absolute base model C class. Probably a piece of junk. He ended up telling me it was completely gutless. I wasnt surprised LOL. He is going to keep the caddy for the winter time here in north jersey since its FWD. I just cant believe he bought a car and ended up regretting it that soon. I guess thats what happens when you buy a ZHP and then some big old caddy. :p

But he started driving the caddy. So for what it seems, I'm driving the bimmer from now on. Except for when im working. I deliver pizzas right now..... not doing that in a bimmer. Plus, the MINI is way better for that. Much more of a city car. It feels nice to drive the ZHP to college though. :) Tommorow is supposed to be sunny. 50 degrees is good enough for the top down for me!

johnrando
10-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Although enthusiast auto is very high priced, he isn't going to be buying a car in the 20k range this time. That was just wishful thinking. He drove a C230 the other day to see how it feels. I told him before he drove it it is the absolute base model C class. Probably a piece of junk. He ended up telling me it was completely gutless. I wasnt surprised LOL. He is going to keep the caddy for the winter time here in north jersey since its FWD. I just cant believe he bought a car and ended up regretting it that soon. I guess thats what happens when you buy a ZHP and then some big old caddy. :p

But he started driving the caddy. So for what it seems, I'm driving the bimmer from now on. Except for when im working. I deliver pizzas right now..... not doing that in a bimmer. Plus, the MINI is way better for that. Much more of a city car. It feels nice to drive the ZHP to college though. :) Tommorow is supposed to be sunny. 50 degrees is good enough for the top down for me!

Troof! Anything above 40 works, especially if you have heated seats, a windscreen, and a zhpmafia beanie.

BRGcoopahS
10-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Fresh new key from the dealer and a key chain to go with it. Car only came with one key when he bought it.
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/066F00CF-3344-4059-93E1-3E1FD22E8F57-118-0000000743D6C2FC.jpg

After being a valet and seeing nothing but worn E46 keys, I wondered how they looked new. Now I know!

nike001
10-22-2012, 11:20 AM
how much did that sucker cost?

Crestwood1001
10-22-2012, 01:33 PM
120$ to 160$ seems the norm, iv only got one key. Gotta get another ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRGcoopahS
10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
I believe it was $200-$250. I'm not positive since he payed for it. He actually bought that key months ago while he was still driving the car. but its never been used until he went up to me today and said "since the bimmer is officially yours, heres the new key and keychain to go along with it". hahaha

and actually, the dealer reimbursed him since the car only came with one key. So really it was free.

BRGcoopahS
12-12-2012, 11:49 AM
New update. Haven't posted in this thread for awhile

A good friend of mine had an oem BMW iPod connectivity kit that he gave to me. I just had it installed yesterday.
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/50F39D38-F61D-414B-B94B-C4C477106444-3139-0000022071B76B9B.jpg

Kit works as it should. Good sound quality and I can control the songs on the steering wheel. I only wish I could use the iPhone's iPod controls while its plugged in. Essentially all I can do is shuffle through all my songs... Or make a playlist. Still, can't complain for a free iPod unit. Not to mention its OEM which is always a good thing.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering, this works with an iPhone 5. I bought the apple adapter expecting it not to work, but it does. For some reason it won't charge the phone though. Go figure.

Crickett
12-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Oh and in case anyone is wondering, this works with an iPhone 5. I bought the apple adapter expecting it not to work, but it does. For some reason it won't charge the phone though. Go figure.

Good to know! Try flipping the connector; someone here mentioned that their iP5, when using an adapter, would only charge when connected one way & not the other. :dunno

BRGcoopahS
12-28-2012, 07:20 PM
So the car is gonna hit 68k soon so I'm going to save up for some maintenance. Here's my short list of things so far:

-Beisan system dual vanos repair kit
-BMW 5w30 oil with filter
-redline transmission fluid
-NGK plugs (bought but not installed)

And here are the things already done:
-cabin filter
-oem air filter
-GAS disa valve

Any other recommendations?

BRGcoopahS
03-04-2013, 08:00 PM

Finally changed the plugs today.
http://i545.photobucket.com/albums/hh369/Pearldrum10/C0C24E13-72E6-4BDE-AF38-E1C9600F188C-443-0000003DCE3A58FD_zpsc277912b.jpg

Gonna do an oil change saturday and I'll probably order new trans fluid. After those things I'm gonna save for a trunk lip spoiler! Can't wait for that. Hopefully it will be installed just in time for spring.

BRGcoopahS
06-03-2015, 02:07 PM
So I'll be doing quite a bit of maintenance to the ZHP in prep for a big move from the east coast to the west coast. Here is my first "maintenance".

New ZHP shift knob and replaced the old grey leather (which was fine) for the black alcantara. Yea, not really maintenance but just look how SHOT the old knob was!

Before:

After:

I'm loving the new look/feel. Next set of purchases will be belts, and trans fluid.

johnrando
06-03-2015, 07:00 PM
Nice

Sent from mobile

hcbeck2689
06-09-2015, 08:38 PM
So I'll be doing quite a bit of maintenance to the ZHP in prep for a big move from the east coast to the west coast. Here is my first "maintenance".

New ZHP shift knob and replaced the old grey leather (which was fine) for the black alcantara. Yea, not really maintenance but just look how SHOT the old knob was!

Before:

After:

I'm loving the new look/feel. Next set of purchases will be belts, and trans fluid.

Looks great! What do you an on doing with that grey boot?

ELCID86
06-10-2015, 04:27 PM
So how is it that your storage compartment opens the opposite of mine? Aftermarket bin?

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

anandoc
06-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Shawn, I could be wrong but I think thats a vert thing. Even orange260z's vert storage bin opens the same way.

ELCID86
06-11-2015, 05:59 PM
Shawn, I could be wrong but I think thats a vert thing. Even orange260z's vert storage bin opens the same way.

Figures. You vert guys ;-)

Vas
06-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Love the new shift knob and boot

BMWCurves
06-11-2015, 08:23 PM
So how is it that your storage compartment opens the opposite of mine? Aftermarket bin?

I'm not sure if you could order it that way (anandoc might be right that it was a vert option), but I was looking around earlier at trim stuff at RealOEM and found it by chance. The BMW part number is 51168260312

BRGcoopahS
06-12-2015, 02:27 PM
Looks great! What do you an on doing with that grey boot?

Nothing, Not sure if I want to keep it or not. I may switch between the two eventually since the grey boot does offer a nice contrast. But if I dont you want it?

about the storage bin, had no idea it opens any other way on different models.

johnrando
06-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Figures. You vert guys ;-)

:headbang I don't have that storage bin think due to NAV.

BRGcoopahS
06-16-2015, 06:48 PM

Got belts and trans fluid today. Just a start of a bunch of maintenance down the road.

BRGcoopahS
07-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Installed them about a week ago with a friend. OK he did most of the work. I was hoping to notice a bigger difference in shifting after finally changing it at 98k. It shifts a bit smoother but oh well, it needed to be done.

This friday I'll be ordering a front brake package package from ECS. slotted rotors (cant trust the drilled ones since its cheaper) Hawk HPS pads, and sensor. I'll also be ordering new brake fluid as well. Gotta get her road trip ready!

BMWCurves
07-08-2015, 07:48 PM
I swapped out the original transmission fluid for Redline MTL (I think it's 75W-90) and didn't notice a whole lot of difference right after the change, but about two weeks after I definitely noticed it's a bit smoother and feels "better." I'd give it a little more time, but the difference won't be drastic.

Where are you planning to take the car road tripping?

BRGcoopahS
07-08-2015, 08:09 PM
I swapped out the original transmission fluid for Redline MTL (I think it's 75W-90) and didn't notice a whole lot of difference right after the change, but about two weeks after I definitely noticed it's a bit smoother and feels "better." I'd give it a little more time, but the difference won't be drastic.

Where are you planning to take the car road tripping?

I think its been two weeks, really only notice it shifting smoother at higher speeds. at a stand still its still just as notchy and un-reluctant to get into gear very easily.

I'm taking her to L.A. I'll be moving there soon

BMWCurves
07-08-2015, 08:37 PM
I think its been two weeks, really only notice it shifting smoother at higher speeds. at a stand still its still just as notchy and un-reluctant to get into gear very easily.

I'm taking her to L.A. I'll be moving there soon

Is it most difficult to put it into first? That's probably more of a sign of a worn synchromesh or a shifter linkage problem. You'd have to look into it, I really don't know transmission stuff that well. A quick search also finds this, which I didn't know/think about: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=560947#poststop

If you're moving from Jersey to the west coast for the first time, welcome! If you're moving back from a hiatus, welcome back!

BRGcoopahS
07-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Well before I did the trans fluid, sometimes it just wouldnt get into first where I'd have to go through 2nd and third then first, or jsut let up the clutch and try again. It hasnt happened yet after the change, but its still more notchy than I'd like at low speeds. Either way its not a big deal and I wont get it looked at.

Thanks! It'll be my first time moving there. I was there 2 months ago on vacation and completely fell in love with LA. Been wanting to move there the past 3 years.

johnrando
07-09-2015, 01:13 PM
When?

BRGcoopahS
07-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Im shooting for the fall or winter. I'm going to do a room share with some random people or even possibly someone I met while I was there.

BRGcoopahS
07-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Ordered a front brake kit as well as fluid from ECS today! Can't wait to finally have good brakes for once. slotted rotors, Hawk HPS pads, brake sensor, and Super DOT4 brake fluid.

BRGcoopahS
07-14-2015, 12:24 PM
got 'em

BMWCurves
07-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Nice! Are those Hawk HPS 5.0's? I need to get new pads. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Hawk pads once you've had them installed and driven them for a little while.

BRGcoopahS
07-14-2015, 02:08 PM
nah, just HPS. I'm just looking to maintain my car on a budget. The HPS are better than stock pads and its not like I track my car anyway. I couldve gotten cross drilled and slotted rotors for the same price but I didnt trust budget cross drilled rotors at all so I went for the slotted. I find that look to be gimmicky if its a cheap set up anyway.

BMWCurves
07-14-2015, 02:33 PM
nah, just HPS. I'm just looking to maintain my car on a budget. The HPS are better than stock pads and its not like I track my car anyway. I couldve gotten cross drilled and slotted rotors for the same price but I didnt trust budget cross drilled rotors at all so I went for the slotted. I find that look to be gimmicky if its a cheap set up anyway.

Gotcha. Still interested to hear what you think of both the rotors and the pads. I think you made the right move on budget drilled rotors (prone to cracking and may not actually add any performance). According to Zeckhausen's basic rotor guide, you made a smart choice: http://www.zeckhausen.com/How_to_select_brake_rotors.htm. I got BMW Performance drilled rotors but haven't put them on yet. Definitely not cheap, but they're supposed to shed a few pounds in the front (woo lowered unsprung weight) and I went for drilled because of their supposed wet weather performance (we get some rain here in Portland).

BRGcoopahS
07-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Yo seriously! I had no idea how heavy rotors are until I picked it up! Must be atleast 50 lbs. The BMW performance rotors looks AMAZING! I was tempted to get them but it wasn't necessary for me. Dude put them on they're so nice.

That link made me happier about my purchase. Quicker wear is something I knew about but didnt know about the better bite and how its better for heavier cars. Perfect for me since mine is a vert.

johnrando
07-14-2015, 06:26 PM
:like

sent from mobile device

BRGcoopahS
07-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Put the new front pads and rotors on today. For reference, heres what 98k miles on the stock rotors looks like. Look at that lip at the edge of the rotor! :eek

and the new ones.

Seriously a night and day difference. It feels so nice to have good brakes again. I could only imagine going for some crazy upgrade setup. We didnt get a chance to change the fluid because we didnt have proper jacks but next time soon. I ordered a new fuel filter/regulator so when that comes in we'll do the fluid and filter/regulator.

More soon.

johnrando
07-17-2015, 03:44 PM
Nice

sent from mobile device

BMWCurves
07-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Put the new front pads and rotors on today. For reference, heres what 98k miles on the stock rotors looks like. Look at that lip at the edge of the rotor! :eek

and the new ones.

Seriously a night and day difference. It feels so nice to have good brakes again. I could only imagine going for some crazy upgrade setup. We didnt get a chance to change the fluid because we didnt have proper jacks but next time soon. I ordered a new fuel filter/regulator so when that comes in we'll do the fluid and filter/regulator.

More soon.

How old were the rotors, miles-wise?

BRGcoopahS
07-18-2015, 01:58 PM
98,000 miles! I neglected some things on this car for awhile. Not anymore.

This came in today:

johnrando
07-20-2015, 06:32 AM
Nice. Waiting to install mine when I get around to it.

BRGcoopahS
07-30-2015, 06:48 PM

Got the bushings in the mail the other day. Now all I have to do is have them installed, along with the fuel filter/regulator, and new brake fluid.