PDA

View Full Version : Spring pads and rear shock mounts with new Bilsteins?

midlandtech
09-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Hey guys and gals,

I am getting ready to place and order for new shocks and struts and was wondering what everyone thought about buying new spring pads and rear shock mounts. The car has almost 100K on it and while I have not been able to look at the pads or mounts I would hate to get it torn apart and find that I should have ordered them. What have you done regarding this?

Thanks,

Steve

johnrando
09-21-2012, 08:10 AM
I was always told get RSMs with uprated shocks/struts. They aren't expensive. Pads, I'm not sure of but man, since you're in there, it wouldn't hurt. Finally, while springs last, again, since you're in there, this is a good chance to upgrade or whatever. What did you have on before? For instance, certain shocks/struts REQUIRE an upgraded spring. I'm no expert, just going on what my experience has been, what I've been told/read. Hopefully a more knowledgeable person could chime in.

danewilson77
09-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Pads can be inspected by only removing the tire. I still have the oem ones at 165k+ miles. They're most likely fine....but if you want fresh...I'm sure they're cheap.

midlandtech
09-21-2012, 09:22 AM
I have been toying with the idea of springs.... Originally I was going to drop it but I'm worried about dropping it to much and scraping everywhere. As it sits now the car is on OEM suspension

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomar06
09-21-2012, 07:00 PM
I sprung for the spring pads all around. Could of saved some cash since they looked to be fine after I took them out but I wanted all new stuff going in along with the shocks and springs.

I went with the Eibach sport lines for the lowering springs and I don't scrape a lot. Just those odd parking lot entrances that are sloped and don't have the room to angle the car in.

midlandtech
09-21-2012, 09:42 PM
I think I will get rear shock mounts for sure and will check the spring pads when I put new tires on this week. as for the springs... guess I need to think about it more. If I get springs I will more than likely have to remove the front lip as it would be far to low (hangs down about an inch)... I wouldn't mind the stiffer ride however I dont want sweat bullets every time I see a speed bump or slight incline on a driveway or parking lot entrance.