PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical exhaust question

Asiah119
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I've been musing about projects I can take on for my car and getting a little more sound out of the exhaust is on my list. Short of dropping eight bills on an entirely new exhaust I was considering a resonator delete and seeing if that satisfies my need for loud. I've seen posts where people talk about it being loud and droning. My question really is how loud? And what does everyone mean by droning? I used to drive a 68 mustang with a fairly loud exhaust on it so I'm used to the constant engine noise at highway speeds.

webster
09-24-2012, 07:35 AM
i have no input, but here's a bunch of threads on the topic:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/search.php?searchid=25613917&psa=0

nike001
09-24-2012, 12:38 PM
^dead link.

Some say it sounds better, other say it sounds the same. From reading around, i've come to the conclusion that it's going to sound about the same unless you get a different muffler.

midlandtech
09-24-2012, 08:05 PM
I deleted my muffler and have been happy with the results.... There is a link to the you tube video on here somewhere

~Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crestwood1001
09-24-2012, 08:37 PM
I deleted my muffler, I just unbolted and removed it, did not want to cut, therefor it ends under the rear seats, loud inside the car, I assumed it was loud outside to but Dalton said its not loud, I may just have tips welded so it exits in the stock location and is more tolerable

Asiah119
09-25-2012, 07:05 AM
So, seems like it would make the car marginally louder. Thanks :)

Smolck
09-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Removed my second resonator on my last E46, it did very, very little. Maybe a hair deeper at idle to 3k rpm, but at WOT it was the same to my ears.

UdubBadger
09-26-2012, 04:51 PM
yeah resonator delete won't do much till you remove the muffler. or grab an inexpensive magnaflow muffler and you'll get a marginal bump in sound that isn't too overbearing but still noticeable at the same time.

Dalton might be selling one...

BimmerWill
09-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Deleted my muffler as well and had a shop weld in pipes and magnaflow tips. Im happy with the way it sounds for the $90 it cost me to do. Want to do headers at some point but with muffler already gone from what I've heard it would be quite a bit too loud..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

328ioc
09-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I am probably going to do a muffler delete. I will probably start shopping around for prices soon.

zj96sc
09-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I deleted my muffler, I just unbolted and removed it, did not want to cut, therefor it ends under the rear seats, loud inside the car, I assumed it was loud outside to but Dalton said its not loud, I may just have tips welded so it exits in the stock location and is more tolerable

If I'm understanding what you've described correctly, I would recommend that you not drive your car in this configuration. You're dumping exhaust heat straight into the gas tank - on top of that at a stand still your exhaust fumes are likely rising into the cabin instead of out from under the car like they should be. This is not safe.