PDA

View Full Version : My car at the track last weekend.

Jesse M
09-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Best I could do was a 14.7 @ 98. New England drag way is always horribly unprepped. I was running 225 eagle gt tires on my 18" csl reps.. Car is untuned with a custom header back exhaust and light suspension work. 120k miles on the clock.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

danewilson77
09-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Car looks great. What car were you racing.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

M0nk3y
09-30-2012, 08:37 PM
What do ZHPs usually run?

Jesse M
10-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Car looks great. What car were you racing.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA

All motor b18 hatch believe it or not lol.

Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

cakM3
10-01-2012, 03:36 AM
Jesse,

Funny you are relatively close from where I am but I haven't seen you around yet....:scratchinghead I don't see too many RI folks here...

Your ZHP looks sweet!

nike001
10-01-2012, 07:20 AM
What do ZHPs usually run?

I think I've seen certain tests where they get 14.0 @ 100. This was the best time I saw. I highly doubt someone could coax 13's out of a stock-ish zhp. Of course it also varies with the driver and the launch you get.

I went to the strip with a few friends on Friday, but I didn't care enough to beat my car doing something it wasn't made to do. I don't really have any desire to find out what the car will do either

Jesse M
10-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Jesse,

Funny you are relatively close from where I am but I haven't seen you around yet....:scratchinghead I don't see too many RI folks here...

Your ZHP looks sweet!

Thanks man. I'm in the EG area and work in Mansfield, MA. I've had the car two years now, I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths. lol There's another member on here with a silver 4dr zhp in my town too. :D

Jesse M
10-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Very possible with good tires at a decent track. I had a 2.6 0-60ft.. that's awful. I was spinning for days off the line.

cakM3
10-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Thanks man. I'm in the EG area and work in Mansfield, MA. I've had the car two years now, I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths. lol There's another member on here with a silver 4dr zhp in my town too. :D

Oh reallly??? Well then....perhaps we should have a meet/greet somtime at Texas Roadhouse or Applebees...:)

Like I said, there aren't too many RI folks here...

pfr
10-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Oh reallly??? Well then....perhaps we should have a meet/greet somtime at Texas Roadhouse or Applebees...:)

Like I said, there aren't too many RI folks here...

I don't live here but am in Narragansett rather frequently. I'd join you if i happen to be around...
- Peter

derbo
10-01-2012, 11:15 AM
i ran a 15.1 bone stock learning the car. i was dissapointed haha. Needless to say that was my last trip to the strip in this car.

I wonder what the official time for our car is.

edit:

Car and Driver ran a 14.3 @97mph in a ZHP (results on page 2)
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

Obioban
10-03-2012, 08:11 AM
ET's are on the driver, trap speed is on the engine/weight-- almost any degree of inept driving or poor track conditions won't change the trap speed.

98mph is 1 mph faster than C&D trapped their test car, so I'd say your car is doing fine :)

quikryptonite
10-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Excellent Sig Pic ^^^^^

Obioban
10-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Excellent Sig Pic ^^^^^

which was it? Changes every time you reload the page :)

cakM3
10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Ian,

I happen to like this sig pic :)

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp37/macdctr/ScreenShot2012-10-04at74426PM.png

I never get tired of seeing a beautifully modded Imola ///M :thumbsup

BRGcoopahS
10-05-2012, 07:47 PM

mind f*cked

how do you do that?

328ioc
10-06-2012, 06:48 AM
mind f*cked

how do you do that?

+1

Also to the op. Great looking ride.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Obioban
10-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Php script running on my server :)

Nivo
10-08-2012, 07:13 AM
I quickly noticed when I ran my car at NED how much the suspension and low profile tires hurt the car.

I went in the beginning of the season only to be met with a non treated track.

Best times are in summer during CMDR days/Test and Tune.

2.6 60' was more likely attributed to the harder suspension/small sidewall then the track prep.

14.7 is good on a 2.6 60'

M0nk3y
10-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Harder suspension...kinda hard to rule that one as a factor.

Low profile tires would actually help your 60', but hurt your trap.

Hard suspension...ehhhh, you could get wheel skip...Assuming you're running coilovers, their compression rates are pretty conservative.

Nivo
10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Harder suspension...kinda hard to rule that one as a factor.
so lets keep the weight transfer equally spread out with a well balanced suspension on the drag strip.. I should pass the word around the web about this to all drag racers they might get insane 1.100 short times. :p

Low profile tires would actually help your 60', but hurt your trap.
ok so maybe we aren't talking about drag racing a car here?
Instead of taking off my low pro tires and installing taller sidewall tires on smaller wheels I should keep my 18" low pro tires for better 60' times?

Hard suspension...ehhhh, you could get wheel skip...Assuming you're running coilovers, their compression rates are pretty conservative.

I have been doing this all wrong for 24 years!:scratchinghead:help

Help me understand your drag racing knowledge?

M0nk3y
10-09-2012, 05:29 AM
Help me understand your drag racing knowledge?

I have none, but it's common knowledge about a car.

Do you have DA Coilovers? If not, then suspension has nothing to do with your times. Unless you're able to adjust compression and unsprung weight, this is a lame excuse, because this is the factor that needs to be considered. What changed in your suspension to make it "hard". Do you have linear springs, are you using progressive springs?

You never mentioned using a completely different wheel.

I quickly noticed when I ran my car at NED how much the suspension and low profile tires hurt the car

Help me understand your general knowledge of a car?

Nivo
10-09-2012, 08:50 AM
I have none, but it's common knowledge about a car.

Do you have DA Coilovers? If not, then suspension has nothing to do with your times. Unless you're able to adjust compression and unsprung weight, this is a lame excuse, because this is the factor that needs to be considered. What changed in your suspension to make it "hard". Do you have linear springs, are you using progressive springs?

You never mentioned using a completely different wheel.

Help me understand your general knowledge of a car?

My background is Automotive with 7 years of schooling for it then got ASE Certifications in Engine Performance, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions, General Engine Repair, Cooling and Heating and Manual Transmissions Although I have rebuilt many automatics. Later on Focused on Engine Tuning and Electronics. I have been drag racing a long time myself with my Z cars and a few other cars. It wasn't until 2003 when I first ventured on to FWD and using that Platform for Drag Racing which is way different in every way to drag racing a RWD car.

When you get into drag racing, the way we shift weight around effects the cars times.
When drag racing a RWD car we want to place the weight or "Shift" it over the rear axles. Tighten up the suspension and the weight transfer is less, less is not good when trying to pull/push x amount of weight in a short distance to get a good time.

The better the weight transfer we accomplish the better the tires will bite into the rubber compound on the track. With a tighter suspension the car will tend to stay flat and this transfer of weight does not occur. This will lead to tires spinning.

Ever see cars on the drag strip take off their sway bars? Loosen up the front a bit to gain lift up front to transfer the cars weight over the axles?

Chassis flex does absorb some power and bends the chassis...not good, suspension has to be right if not wheel hop will kill axles.. sub-frame and a whole lot more, tires provide the bite..too little and tires go up in smoke...too tall of a sidewall and the car slows down up top after the 1000 foot mark, also the driver skills all play a role.

Then there is the weather like a strong headwind (wind hitting the frontal area of the car) can slow the car down .10-.30 depending on the strength of the wind.

Temperature also plays a role on tire pressures, on bias ply tires like slicks we see this more pronounced then on a street radial tire. Wait did I just say Bias ply? yes I did.
On a drag tire the use of the bias ply design allows for a very flexible sidewall that can compress. This compression allows for weight transfer to happen as the car lowers on the rear, it also allows for the "spring" snapping action of the tire and most importantly track bite from the tire compound.

This is the reason why a stiff sidewall, low profile tire is not good for drag racing. They act like skis on a car.

This image shows weight transfer occurring with the tall sidewall bias ply tire wrinkling under acceleration.

Hornung418
10-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Kyle...you're out of your element in this fight. Just take in the knowledge :)

This post brought to you by Uncle Clark's Anti-gravity Cream. Put some on your Super Collider just before the Big Bang.

danewilson77
10-09-2012, 09:11 AM
I think one of you guys is talking track, the other....strip.

Nivo
10-09-2012, 10:03 AM
I think one of you guys is talking track, the other....strip.

At first I did think that...:blink

I Started in Drag Racing when I was younger with Jr. Dragsters but then got into Auto-X too in Fort Devens now known as Devens, then got into road course which I like too. Drifting came and I gave that a shot too and as fun as it is spun bearings and busted parts come quickly.

They each have their own place and likes. I personally prefer drag racing for the ease of getting there, money spent on race day, I grew up with it.. Oh, I also love horsepower and using it to its fullest.

So I know just a little bit on some forms of racing:shift;)

M0nk3y
10-09-2012, 10:30 AM
I realize the shift is necessary, but there is a limit to where the shift becomes problematic.

I have ran on slicks before as well, they like low pressures.

I appreciate the knowledge you have. No insult intended.

quikryptonite
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM

The Imola with the train.

Jesse M
11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I quickly noticed when I ran my car at NED how much the suspension and low profile tires hurt the car.

I went in the beginning of the season only to be met with a non treated track.

Best times are in summer during CMDR days/Test and Tune.

2.6 60' was more likely attributed to the harder suspension/small sidewall then the track prep.

14.7 is good on a 2.6 60'

I've been there close to twenty times, I've raced five of them. On import night and most friday sessions they don't prep the track well at all. Two of my good friends have STi's, and one with an evo and they spin for days off the line. It's embarrassing. The first run I got was my best, (pic) because I was one of the first to get there while the track was still a little sticky. I'm no pro off the line, but I know how to shift my car and drive it to its limit for sure. I also agree that the 2.6 60' had a lot to do with the tires and sidewall. They're performance all seasons :rofl