PDA

View Full Version : BMW 330i Clubsport on the RING

3ZHPGUY
01-15-2011, 03:55 PM
:droolWhy can't we do this on this side of the Atlantic?

Nordschleife Lap BMW E46 330ci 11/11/2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjzmZT0rdyE

danewilson77
01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
He has an auto! FTL!

I'll keep my manual on this side....

Marcus-SanDiego
01-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Looks like stick.

danewilson77
01-15-2011, 07:01 PM
It is......

az3579
01-15-2011, 07:40 PM
He has an auto! FTL!

I'll keep my manual on this side....

Have you been smoking again? It's a manual, dude. :p

mimalmo
01-15-2011, 07:56 PM
:droolWhy can't we do this on this side of the Atlantic?

Nordschleife Lap BMW E46 330ci 11/11/2010

You can. On different tracks of course. Not far from you are a bunch of good tracks that have annual events where you can drive fast. Mid-Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR, etc.

Nomar06
01-15-2011, 08:58 PM
VIR is fun.....did a weekend event a few years ago.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-15-2011, 09:17 PM

I think DW was just pulling our chains.

danewilson77
01-16-2011, 08:11 AM

Yup....got it..

When I initially watched it......I missed his first shift....then he didn't shift for a long time....and it just didn't look like he was shifting....that's all.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3ZHPGUY
01-16-2011, 08:18 AM
I've been on Mid Ohio & Nelson Ledges and talked to friends that have been on other tracks but, I don't think any in the US can compare to Nürburgring.

The Nürburg-Ring, a 14 mile twisty devil of a race track. It has 142 corners!

# Nürburgring is a race track
# Nürburgring is a public toll road
# Nürburgring is a testing center for new cars
# Nürburgring is a strip of asphalt where you can drive a 13 mile lap in your car at racing speed for a mere 15 Euros, $20.00 USD.
# Jackie Stewart called the Nürburgring "The Green Hell.

A one day intensive driving course will cost a mere 130-170 Euros, $175-$228 USD depending on the day and the season.

az3579
01-17-2011, 02:57 AM
You can. On different tracks of course. Not far from you are a bunch of good tracks that have annual events where you can drive fast. Mid-Ohio, Road America, Road Atlanta, VIR, etc.

To respond to this...

I've been on Mid Ohio & Nelson Ledges and talked to friends that have been on other tracks but, I don't think any in the US can compare to Nürburgring.

The Nürburg-Ring, a 14 mile twisty devil of a race track. It has 142 corners!

# Nürburgring is a race track
# Nürburgring is a public toll road
# Nürburgring is a testing center for new cars
# Nürburgring is a strip of asphalt where you can drive a 13 mile lap in your car at racing speed for a mere 15 Euros, $20.00 USD.
# Jackie Stewart called the Nürburgring "The Green Hell.

A one day intensive driving course will cost a mere 130-170 Euros, $175-$228 USD depending on the day and the season.

^^ I wanted to say THAT.
NOTHING compares to the ring.

What pisses me off is that a driver's school at the ring would be a lot cheaper than a driving school at my local race track, which is mega short, by the way. To add insult to injury, we only get about 80 minutes of track time at LRP, mainly because of the Lime Rock club hogging the rest of our time there. :mad

mimalmo
01-17-2011, 05:43 AM
While the courses I mentioned might not be as long or as cheap, there really isn't any other options unless you want to move over to Europe or build your own private track.

All of those tracks I mentioned are stellar, world-class road courses; guaranteed to put a smile on your face. That's what matters.

thesixsins
01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Damn, looks like fun.
Was the Clubsport package ever available on a sedan?

FullyBalanced
01-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Dang... the only way that could have been better is if you were a naked supermodel. AWSUME. thanks for posting!

az3579
01-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Damn, looks like fun.
Was the Clubsport package ever available on a sedan?

Yes, an option on both 4-door and 2-door.

3ZHPGUY
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Some of the reasons I chose this particular video:

I thought it was great to be able to see the road as well as the Tachometer, Speedometer and shifter, must say the DSC light definitely gives an incite as to how hard he’s pushing it. I know my third gear red line is right around 100 mph, so keep an eye on the shifter. It spends a good amount of time in 4th and 5th. After watching this, the 155 limiter on our ZHPs could happen before red-line in 5th. WOW!

Notable times; 2:03 is the fastest I saw, @ 140+ mph & 6000 rpm in 5th

2:45 gets a little squirrely on him, and yes he’s not even a third of the way around the ring. He seems to recover well from that and keeps it closer to the line for the rest of the video.

kayger12
01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
2:45 gets a little squirrely on him,

Yeah, I puckered up a little there from the safety of my kitchen table.

Johnmadd
01-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Awesome.

az3579
01-18-2011, 02:50 AM
I just noticed...
No black headliner, the trim is just silver (not cubed), and the know is not ZHP. The needles didn't look red to me either, but then again, he did have the lights on so that messes with the eye a bit.
Are these ZHP-only that the Club Sport didn't receive?

Marcus-SanDiego
01-18-2011, 05:59 AM
I just noticed...
No black headliner, the trim is just silver (not cubed), and the know is not ZHP. The needles didn't look red to me either, but then again, he did have the lights on so that messes with the eye a bit.
Are these ZHP-only that the Club Sport didn't receive?

The Clubsport comes standard with cubed trim (though I believe that you could opt for something different) . The needles come in white (instead of red). I am not sure about the headliner.

mimalmo
01-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Driving the 'Ring was much different back in the day. Apparantly seatbelts were optional...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwc54G2Ur8

danewilson77
01-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Speechless.

kayger12
01-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Unbelievable.

Alphatek45
01-18-2011, 03:31 PM
OMFG. That vert made my heart ship a beat! Lucky asswipes.

danewilson77
01-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah...no kidding. Fairly certain they did not have rollover protection.

az3579
01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Wow, I'm stunned by the pure number of rollovers back then. People nowadays are complaining that cars are getting too heavy. Well, if today's small cars were that light, they'd be right there along with the 70's cars, rolling on away.

I did notice none of the Porkers rolled over though. Good job Porsche!

kayger12
01-19-2011, 03:30 AM
I don't think it has as much to do with weight as it does center of gravity, BP.

The cars that are constantly going over all have high CGs. Same reason SUVs are always rolling over despite weight.

The Porsches in the vid are all low CG relatively speaking.

Kudos
01-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Physics lesson of the day: in order to have a rollover, you need to have your Center of Gravity be higher than your center of force. Center of force would be just averaged, and since we are expecting the car to roll over sideways and not do a front or backflip, the axis we single out this axis and only look at the car in one dimension. As soon as the center of force is lower than center of gravity, we start getting wheels raising, if it goes over enough you get rollover.

az3579
01-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I don't think it has as much to do with weight as it does center of gravity, BP.

The cars that are constantly going over all have high CGs. Same reason SUVs are always rolling over despite weight.

The Porsches in the vid are all low CG relatively speaking.

Right, but modern cars (that aren't SUVs or Minivans) that are heavier have a lower center of gravity as well. You won't see a modern car flip nearly as easily as one of those older cars. Safety is the key here; it's heavier and also has a lower center of gravity so it doesn't run the risk of flipping as easily due to the extra weight.

kayger12
01-20-2011, 03:27 AM
Weight in itself has zero bearing, BP.

Only where the weight is placed matters.

If a car is heavier and the weight is higher up, it will be more likely to flip over than a lighter car, not less.

az3579
01-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Weight in itself has zero bearing, BP.

Only where the weight is placed matters.

If a car is heavier and the weight is higher up, it will be more likely to flip over than a lighter car, not less.

^^ Right, this is exactly why most of the cars now have a lower center of gravity, so this doesn't happen. The center of gravities being lowered goes hand in hand with the increase of weight.

MasterC17
01-24-2011, 06:03 PM
It took about an hour to load in HD but I watched the video this weekend. He's a great driver! One of my goals in life is to one day travel to Germany and drive on the Ring and the Autobahn. Not sure if that'll ever happen but hey I can hope! I wish we had some 13 mile track over here in the US.

Linh
01-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Looks like a REAL adrenalin rush going that fast around the ring. I would be lucky to go half way through the track without crashing.

Thanks for sharing the old video of cars rolling over around the ring. Something I probably would do. lol

Rovert
02-24-2011, 10:41 PM
I want.....to.... go!!!! damn......Amtrak gives us highspeed trains, BMW give us highspeed roadways. :D

Acyd
03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Holy crap that old Nurburgring video.

This is what i learned from that video.
- People were indestructible
- Cars were full of so much trash and clothes
- Some looked like families flying round that thing
- People these days sure arnt that friggin crazy anymore

When that VW bug cabrio started losing it, while its full of 4 people, i thought i was going to see something horrific.

A+!

SC4ME
03-07-2011, 04:47 AM
The roll overs, stuff flying - including people, was just unreal. At 6:58 in the video I saw what looked like a can of beer fall out a window and explode.

Those were some crazy MFs.

I have finally convinced the wife to drive up to the ring on our next trip to the fatherland (my mother immigrated) and let me rent a nice M3 or so for a round or two.

Crickett
03-07-2011, 05:36 AM
[ . . . ] I have finally convinced the wife to drive up to the ring on our next trip to the fatherland (my mother immigrated) and let me rent a nice M3 or so for a round or two.
^ Winning! So very jealous . . . I will make it to the 'Ring before I die! The wife can just chill at a café while I lap ol' green meanie.

3ZHPGUY
03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
I was talking to Dude at work today that owns a Mustang GT and ask him if he ever heard of the ring, nope, nothing, nada. It was lunch so I did a quick Google and showed him some picks on Wikipedia. He still didn’t seem to get it so, I grabbed this video I had posted here. He came over to my desk and watched the first few minutes and ask, "wow he's moving what’s he driving”, my reply, “my car”.

God did that feel good.

Crickett
03-07-2011, 03:16 PM
"wow he's moving what’s he driving”, my reply, “my car”.

God did that feel good.
That. Is. Awesome. Well played, sir! ZHP FTW!

Marcus-SanDiego
03-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Woot woot. For the win -- on the Ring.

Acyd
03-09-2011, 08:18 PM
That turn always gets me in GT5 =)