PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth retrofit w/vr for oem nav?

velocity_b
10-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Hey guys

So I want to do an oem b.t. retrofit in my 04 ci that will also add v.r. for my oem navigation system.

The car came with bmw assist and from what I've read all I have to do is switch out the assist module for a ulf module and add a pairing button, correct?

Does anyone know if there is a specific ulf unit that I should look for, since I am looking to add voice recognition for my nav too?

Thanks!

johnrando
10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Lots of info out there and I don't have the details, but I do know everyone always says get the latest module you can. The # is around. Check out xoutpost.com or e46f.c.

velocity_b
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to sort through all of it to find the last generation that still works with an e46.

sna77
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
If you want VR to work with OEM Nav, you need a ULF, not TCU.

TCU / Assist combo units do NOT have VR that will work with OEM Nav. No way to change that with clever programming either.

13th gen TCU part # is: 84109154358
http://www.bimmernav.com/ulfchanges.html

I've extensively documented the process here, as well as the difference between a ULF and TCU.
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7113-Bluetooth-TCU-install-in-ZHP-DIY-and-Parts-List

But IMO, I would go the TCU route over ULF at this point. The TCU was updated last year and works with all the latest iPhones etc. The ULF hasn't been updated in a few years, requires a discontinued pairing button. Plus, the VR isn't that useful anyhow. Remember, this is essentially a 10+ year old Nav system at the core. The VR works for basic commands like "find gas station" but beyond that it isn't very useful...

velocity_b
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys!
ULF doesn't really seem worth the cash.
Looks like I'll be going some sort of aftermarket route...

sna77
10-02-2012, 04:30 AM
What are you looking to do? The OEM Nav with updated maps + updated OS + Bluetooth TCU is a very good system. And will certainly most reliable solution.

NorCalZman
10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
What are you looking to do? The OEM Nav with updated maps + updated OS + Bluetooth TCU is a very good system. And will certainly most reliable solution.

here here. it was not cheap, but I love how well everything works in my car.

velocity_b
10-02-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm looking to add bluetooth(I have assist) the voice commands of a ULF are a nice bonus but all the ULF's I saw were going for over $600.
Looks like for $250 I can go with the Argos B.T. which uses the factory B.T. wiring and will work with my steering wheel in an oem fashion.
The VR for NAV would have been nice but not worth the extra $400 imho.

sna77
10-03-2012, 03:33 AM
I'm looking to add bluetooth(I have assist) the voice commands of a ULF are a nice bonus but all the ULF's I saw were going for over $600.
Looks like for $250 I can go with the Argos B.T. which uses the factory B.T. wiring and will work with my steering wheel in an oem fashion.
The VR for NAV would have been nice but not worth the extra $400 imho.

Read my thread I posted above. :)
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?7113-Bluetooth-TCU-install-in-ZHP-DIY-and-Parts-List

Why waste your money on an aftermarket kit, when you can replace that Assist unit with a Bluetooth TCU / Assist combo unit for $338. Since you already have Assist, you have the microphone, mounting kits etc--you just need a new TCU (they take your old one as a core). OEM, direct plug and play. No way an aftermarket kit works as well / integrated as this.

Just order this part #:

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/tcu.PNG

TheStig
10-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Couldn't agree more with everyone else on sticking to factory bluetooth. Retrofitted it to my E39 without issue and enjoyed completely flawless service. Saved the unit which I'm going to stick in my fiance's ZHP. :)

velocity_b
10-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Interesting... So all I'd need is the TCU and a pairing button correct?

TheStig
10-03-2012, 11:16 AM

I think you need the mic too. Might be there already on the E46. I would call/email BimmerNav and talk to them about it, they are definitely the authority.

sna77
10-03-2012, 03:01 PM

I think you need the mic too. Might be there already on the E46. I would call/email BimmerNav and talk to them about it, they are definitely the authority.

Guys, I wrote the DIY on this, have installed dozens of these kits, and have already answered the question. :) Please read my link I've posted twice in this thread and is on page 1 of the A/V Forum-- Everything is in that link--it answers all your questions in detail... including the paring button one (which isn't necessary with a TCU) :thumbsup

Since you already have Assist, you have the microphone, mounting kits etc--you just need a new TCU (they take your old one as a core). OEM, direct plug and play.