PDA

View Full Version : Covercraft Weathershield

JKO_ZHP
10-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Got it online through Roadster Solutions.
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page36.html
I originally ordered the NOAH with a cable/lock. But a sales associate emailed me saying they are not in stock and that it would take 2-3 weeks to make. Instead, they offered to ship me the Weathershield instead, free of charge even though it is $89 more.

I took the offer.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/424657_4622631444835_1765006645_n.jpg

Fitment is spot on 10/10, snug but not super form-fitting. Just a little bit of "breathing room."
There's extra padding, two grommets on either side for a cable and lock to secure it, and pockets for the side mirrors.
First night using it but so far, I'm happy with what I got.
The full product description can be found here:
http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page117.html
Although they say it's been tested and is "scratch-less," I'm still doubting that it won't scratch the paint. It just doesn't feel like it wouldn't.

I intend on using this cover on a daily basis because I don't have access to a roof/patio/garage and have to park out on the street every night. This will also make it more susceptible to getting scratched.

I read online and someone had this same worry, and so he was able to send his cover back for around $26 to have Covercraft do something with the inside of the cover, sew a softer material to serve as extra padding or something. I've emailed them about this and am waiting to see if they are still doing this.

zhpnsnv
10-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Please use carefully or serious swirling will ensue!!!! I would hesitate before putting that on top of anything but a "just cleaned" paint surface, as I think you did there. Also wind + dust = swirls with these as it all gets caught up underneath it.

JKO_ZHP
10-14-2012, 10:38 AM
I read somewhere that an owner of the same Weathershield contacted Covercraft and was able to send his in for some modification. They were able to sew or attach some sort of super soft material that had no chance of scratching the paint on the inner seams or something.
I emailed them about this and am waiting on their response. I kinda plan on having this on daily.....

I also don't fully understand how daily use would scratch the paint or cause swirls, even when putting it on carefully. I've seen how people toss their covers to the roof, and drag the ends over the sides - now that obviously is already scratching the surface. But I roll it, and there is minimal space in between the cover and the car itself so even if there were high winds (there's not much here), it wouldn't rub or flap around loosely.

Just in case though, I do plan on using ONR or something. I'm pretty adamant about using the cover daily because without it, I would have to wash it every other week due to dew + dust, then bird crap, etc. And there's always this one cat that likes jumping on just-parked cars and sleeping on the hood. Can't have that.

danewilson77
10-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Just bear in mind....that no matter how soft the material, sewn underneath is, if there is grit on the car swirls will happen.

JKO_ZHP
10-14-2012, 11:38 AM
I only drive about 10 miles to school where I park in a garage, and to work, 7 miles away under the sun. Besides that, I'm parked outside at my place. I think I'll use ONR or something, the benefits/cons of having the cover on daily outweighs not having it (see above edited post)

danewilson77
10-14-2012, 11:45 AM
OK...sounds good brutha.

zhpnsnv
10-14-2012, 01:57 PM
What color is your car? If it's tiag, it's difficult to see swirls. If it's black or orient, watch out!

I'm just commenting on the use of a cover because I've tried it, tried to be SUPER vigilant with it, and it swirled the hell out of my MINI. Your results may vary; I hope they do.

Driving one mile gets crap on the paint, and there is no way to stop it from getting up and under there once it's on, except parking in a garage, which defeats the purpose in the first place.

Swirls aside, the cover during the day will obviously stop the paint from fading but not at night.

Jon D
10-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I've been using a cover for going on 4 years with no issues. Had std cover first then a 'Stormproof' no issues with either as to swirls etc. always make sure car is clean before putting on. Car is Imola

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

JKO_ZHP
10-14-2012, 06:20 PM
What color is your car? If it's tiag, it's difficult to see swirls. If it's black or orient, watch out!

I'm just commenting on the use of a cover because I've tried it, tried to be SUPER vigilant with it, and it swirled the hell out of my MINI. Your results may vary; I hope they do.

Driving one mile gets crap on the paint, and there is no way to stop it from getting up and under there once it's on, except parking in a garage, which defeats the purpose in the first place.

Swirls aside, the cover during the day will obviously stop the paint from fading but not at night.

Silver grey. Was it a Covercraft though? Because besides them advertising that it won't scratch, I've read on a Cayman forum that someone also used their Weathershield for daily use and had nothing bad to say about them.

I've been using a cover for going on 4 years with no issues. Had std cover first then a 'Stormproof' no issues with either as to swirls etc. always make sure car is clean before putting on. Car is Imola

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Definitely, I plan on just using quick detailer to remove the minor stuff out. Or ONR.