PDA

View Full Version : BMW E46 Washer Pump Replacement Review / Advice

Mtnman
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
6 Months ago I replaced my windshield washer pump because it was leaking all my fluid out. I did, what I have read, is what a lot of people do and used a readily available universal pump from my local auto chain. This pump was sufficient, but lacked power in its spray. It would reach about 1/2 to 2/3 up the windshield. It also made me use "taps" to connect it, as its connections and the BMW's electrical connections were different. Now, 6 months later, it is already having issues and my fluid all disappears again. i just bought a real replacement from my indie shop for $40 bucks! (online they are more than that). Anyway, long story short, this pump has MUCH more power in its spray, and should last as long as original (5-6 years) i just wanted to give my analysis here, so you all wouldn't make the same mistake. OEM is worth the money.
David

az3579
01-17-2011, 07:08 PM
and should last as long as original (5-6 years) i just wanted to give my analysis here, so you all wouldn't make the same mistake. OEM is worth the money.
David

It was my understanding that this is not really a common failure part?
I would think a washer pump to last the life of the car. I think you'll get more than 5-6 years out of that one for sure.

MrMaico
01-27-2011, 02:29 PM
I thought that they WERE a common weak spot, they usually end up leaking internally somewhere IIRC. Not necessarily the seal/gasket. Mine was leaking shortly after I got my car and I replaced it with a Ebay part, still hanging in there but to be honest it's only been used a handful of times so maybe that's why it's still ok. Can't say I've noticed any lack of pressure. Been lucky and have only been caught in light rain maybe 3 times in 1 1/2 years.

Barry

danewilson77
01-27-2011, 05:05 PM
I have only heard of a couple of failures. Def not a common weak point...imho

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

MrMaico
01-27-2011, 06:12 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46#Windshield_Washer_Pump

danewilson77
01-27-2011, 07:07 PM
Ahh...it says they fail after a while. Many things do. Still don't consider them weak points based on only what I have seen.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Marcus-SanDiego
03-16-2011, 07:58 AM
My washer pump was replaced last week. About 59,000 miles when I first started noticing that the light on my cluster kept saying low water.

mikeyb74
03-16-2011, 07:59 AM
I sell atleast 4 to 6 washer pumps and grommets a day.

danewilson77
03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
My washer pump was replaced last week. About 59,000 miles when I first started noticing that the light on my cluster kept saying low water.

Good data for the failure thread if not updated there.